Final

Living in the foxhole

It was just yesterday Chanyeol’s flat got broke in when he returned from work. It was past midnight and he was damn tired to take out his keys to open the door. But he didn’t remember how he able to open the door easily and greeted by an unknown boy, who was standing still in the middle of the room. Chanyeol didn’t bother much to have someone roaming around in his flat since he’s living alone. If someone was there, it could be one of his friends. He didn’t even look at ‘this person’ as he closed the door behind him. Only taking a few steps forward, he sensed something was off.

 

He didn’t have a friend who was short. The boy was wearing full black, with a cap, and a handgun on his belt. That moment, Chanyeol realized the boy was a total stranger.

 

It scared the heck out of Chanyeol which made him restless for the whole night. He was mentally tired and yet, he couldn’t sleep. His mind kept remembering how the small boy strongly grabbed his wrist, locking his movement from escaping the room. The stranger muttered ‘sorry’ with such a deep voice, and firm. There’s no way he is a boy. It was followed by a low, threatening voice that if Chanyeol made any sudden act, Chanyeol won’t be able to walk away alive. The stranger wanted Chanyeol to calm down and he will explain his intention of breaking into his flat.

 

It turned out to be he is working as an under government agent on a special mission, and he won’t return to the base until he’s done. He didn’t explain what the mission was. It’s a top secret. So he asked Chanyeol for cooperation to use the flat as his place to stay for a week. Of course with weaponry on the stranger’s possession, Chanyeol had no choice. He let him claim the living room as his ‘hideout’. The long couch became the guy’s bed, as much Chanyeol tried to offer a blanket, but he refused. The worst part was Chanyeol didn’t even know the guy’s name.

 

***

 

“You should have taken a day off. Oh wait, he’s still inside your flat, isn’t he?”

 

Chanyeol closed his eyes and his head leaning on top of the table. It’s been a day after the event and he was still exhausted. His mind went blank for a moment, but he crossed his fingers that he never loses his sanity.

 

“Hello? Are you listening to me?”

 

Chanyeol groaned at the voice, slightly lifting his head to look at his friend, Sehun. He told him about the agent guy invading his flat when Sehun noticed Chanyeol’s weird behavior. And one thing Sehun hated about it because when Chanyeol’s mood is down, he can’t make a good pizza. Chanyeol was noticeable with his cooking skills, which is why he’s working with Sehun in a pizzeria. Except that he’s working night shift, where he can find peace during at that time.

 

“I’m trying not being crazy right now, and I don’t want to talk about it.” Chanyeol pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to kill the anxiety.

 

Sehun sat next to him. “Like I said, you should have taken a day off. We can manage alright without you.”

 

The taller snorted. “Just because you have Luhan with you, your job is much easier now.”

 

“I heard that!”

 

Another man, who so called Luhan, walked in with unamused expression.  Sehun and Luhan had been couple for three months, and to be honest, Chanyeol found them pretty adorable together. Luhan is always helping behind Sehun’s back when he got into trouble, and Chanyeol was glad that Luhan accepted him. Sehun can be such a fuss sometimes, but now Chanyeol didn’t have to worry about him anymore. One problem aside, the new arises.

 

“I need somewhere to sleep over.” Chanyeol eyed at two of them.

 

And Sehun was the first to shake his head. “We have plans.”

 

“Really? Can you save this ‘plan’ for another day? This poor friend whom his life is on the line and you choose to bang your boyfriend instead?”

 

“Now, Chanyeol. That’s just too far.” Luhan glared at the taller. “We’re planning to go downtown because there’s construction going on at Sehun’s place. We told you about it just yesterday.”

 

Chanyeol groaned. Of course he had forgotten about it. He was mentally tired to sink in the information yesterday. Plus, to have the agent in his flat, he wouldn’t have a second thought to pass out on the spot. But he couldn’t. What if the stranger lied to him? What if the stranger tried to kill him in his sleep?

 

“Stop thinking too much, Chanyeol.” Sehun rubbed the taller’s back. “Go home. Lock your room door and get some sleep.”

 

The other shook his head. “I can’t. I’m paranoid. What if he threatens to shoot me?”

 

“Don’t make assumptions by your own. You never know the truth if you don’t ask him. If anything goes wrong, call us.” Luhan suggested.

 

For once, Luhan was right. However, it’s easier to say than done.

 

***

 

Chanyeol found himself standing awkwardly far away from the agent. He was still on a stool, polishing his long looking gun that past midnight. He sat at the very corner of the room where a small window was located. And Chanyeol finally understood why it was a good spot for peeking without being noticed. Chanyeol rarely approach to the window because it was blocked by people’s view from the outside, considering that it was hidden under an outdated shop banner. Furthermore, the window glass was covered by moss. The flat windows were never cleaned for years since he moved in.

 

So he began to approach as he opened his mouth, closed, and opened again before he realized his mind went blank. There’s so much question to ask, but he didn’t know where to start. He was taken back when the agent turned to him. His eyes can be such imitating.

 

“How may I help you?” He asked, and Chanyeol was sweating in bullets.

 

“I--uh... It’s... It’s nothing.” Chanyeol gave him a goofy smile, although he wanted to kill himself for saying that.

 

The agent gave a short ‘hm’, before polishing the gun again. Chanyeol didn’t know why he liked to stick by the window. For multiple times, the agent looked up outside the window, and then back to what he was doing, until he set the gun down to pick up an old enamel mug with a plastic spoon in it. He gave a stir before sipping the mug and Chanyeol saw what’s in it in one glance; crab meat porridge. Chanyeol had been seeing him eating the same meal for past hours; breakfast, lunch, dinner. Was he never getting tired of it? Is this how to live as an agent during mission? If it does, then Chanyeol will have a second thought of it.

 

It was the third day the agent had stuck in his living room. Although one time the agent had asked Chanyeol if he could borrow the kitchen before he went to work, but that’s it. There’s nothing new about their conversation, nothing change about their lives. They’re separated between two odd rooms in the same world.

 

Except on that third day, Chanyeol returned late from work. He didn’t know why he stayed back to make a crabmeat pizza before packing it. He’s been staring at the pizza box he was holding on his way home and wondering for nth time. It’s not like he cared about the agent, but seeing him eating the same meal, Chanyeol thought it’s alright to give him something else to eat. Or maybe he should just throw the pizza away in the first place. Why did he care?

 

It turned out the pizza box never left in the trash bin, but straight up to Chanyeol’s flat. He opened the door and close with a soft click before he noticed a light came from the kitchen. Someone was cooking and he could guess it was the agent. As he approached, he took off his black cap and stood still to find the agent was sitting on the dining chair, two bowls of crab meat soup on the table, ready to be served.

 

“Didn’t know you came back late. I thought you always ended up in bed twelve sharp.” The agent said as he sat up properly.

 

Chanyeol was dumbfounded. Is the agent this observant? They just met for two days! “Uh... Not really.” He let out a soft cough. “Things happened at work. It’s common.”

 

The other nodded, gesturing his head at the bowls. “I made you a soup. You looked pale since yesterday, probably my fault that I came out of blue.”

 

“Actually, I quite need it. Thanks.” Chanyeol approached and sat across the agent, placing the pizza box on the table.

 

And now he saw his face clearly under the dim light of the kitchen. The eyes were big and round, larger than the average human does. His hair was short, pulling the back hair all the way to the front like all Korean men does, but the bangs covered his thick brows. However, Chanyeol’s eyes stopped at the most intriguing part about this man. That lips. Gosh, that lips. They were way thicker than his mom. He had no idea how the god could create such an adorable man. It’s like... he was taken out of a Japanese manga character.

 

Chanyeol was silently staring at the agent, as the said man frowned at the sight of the box. “Pizza for your late night snack?”

 

The taller blinked out of the daze, and cleared his throat. “It’s not. I would have eaten back at work if I’m starving but--” He rubbed his back head sheepishly, before pushing the box gently to the agent. “You could eat something else for the change... You know?”

 

The shorter slightly widen his eyes, amused by the kindness. However, he politely declined the offer. “That’s very kind of you, but I don’t eat pizza.” He paused a moment, looking at Chanyeol’s eyes. “Fat.”

 

“Ah...” Chanyeol nodded understandingly, before he smirked. “Funny you didn’t bother to look what’s inside, considering that you’ve already eaten the same food for two cycles of the meal. It’s unhealthy.”

 

“I’m dieting. My body needs to stay fit.”

 

“You’re not-- chubby! Look at you! You’re fit! You look amazingly ‘fit’! ” Chanyeol exclaimed suddenly. His eyes searched for the full figure of the agent, if only the table didn’t block the other half of the body.

 

The agent didn’t fight back. His small calm smile immediately captured Chanyeol’s heart. “I never thought you would say that on your first impression of me. You’re an interesting guy.”

 

Chanyeol’s breath stuck in the throat, his mind went blank for a second. The agent’s praise made him flush and his heart beating gradually fast. “C--Cut it off.” He coughed lightly as he patted his chest to calm down. “Anyway, could you just take it? I spent nearly half an hour to make this beauty.” He poked the box.

 

The agent reached to pick the box, and as just as he opened the lid, his eyes went completely round. He could feel his mouth started to water. Chanyeol was about to laugh at the sight, but he held it back. From the beginning, he’s been watching the agent eating routine, and he noticed how he loved seafood.

 

He admitted, it was not just a normal seafood pizza he served every day to the customers. With overflowed crab meats, prawns, and cheese on top of it, were enough to please the agent’s appetite.

 

“Is this for me? You made it for me?” The agent asked, shocked.

 

Chanyeol shrugged in response. “That’s what I said.”

 

“Thank you... I-- Oh, right. I don’t know your name.” The agent’s mood fell slightly.

 

“Don’t mention it. Name’s Park Chanyeol by the way.” The taller unconsciously took a sip of the soup. Somehow he needed it, although he wasn’t a fan of seafood.

 

 “Chanyeol. What a nice name.” The other replied with a smile.

 

For once, Chanyeol thanked his mom for giving him such a name. No one really talked about how nice or bad their names are. A name is just a ‘name’. People actually not pay attention on the names as they grew up, because names are like a word to remember. Only parents understand the real meaning under the names, and hoping their children to grow up according to the interpretations of the given names. Chanyeol doubted it so long as he grew up. The agent’s comment relieved him, and made him think for the second time. This agent is actually a very kind person he ever met.

 

Except he never gave him his name. What a prick.

 

On the fourth day, his life was getting brighter than the previous. The agent started to speak more with him; telling him about his job as a sniper, the sniper rifle he always held into was his favorite, and how he addicted to seafood since he was young. Chanyeol couldn’t help but to smile at the way he was talking.

 

“Why won’t you tell me your name?” Chanyeol asked him that night after work. They were having the same dinner as yesterday, except with chicken and prawn pizza.

 

It took a moment before the agent shook his head. “I was forbidden to reveal my identity.”

 

“Oh, come on.” Chanyeol shifted ungratefully. “It’s just between us. We shared a lot of things about ourselves, and I told you my name too. Can I have yours?”

 

“An agent has to keep the rule no matter what. Until I die, I won’t give you my name, even the slightest. So I recommend you to forget about it, and focus more on your life. I won’t be here long though--“

 

“D.O. Come in, D.O.”

 

Both Chanyeol and the agent didn’t speak a word when the sound of walkie-talkie came off. There was an awkward silence for a couple seconds before it repeated.

 

“D.O., do you read me?”

 

The agent scowled and quickly picked up the walkie-talkie on his belt. “Yes, I read you. What do you need?”

 

“Just checking for an update.”

 

“We talked about this, Kai. Why didn’t you give me a call?”

 

The agent’s shoulders slumped slightly, before he stood up and left. Chanyeol watched the other went as his smile slowly creep on his face. He, now, got the agent’s name. If only he can thank that ‘Kai’ person for revealing his name. It took three days and patients to obtain it.

 

***

“D.O.?”

 

“Shh! Not so loud!” Chanyeol whispered loudly to his friend. The name is obviously an alias, and cannot be mentioned in the public.

 

Sehun covered his mouth. “Sorry. But seriously, that’s his name? With a letter ‘D’ and 'O’?”

 

The taller nodded as Luhan leaned on his seat. “How did you get his name?”

 

“Well, his mate kind of opening his big mouth at the wrong time yesterday.”

 

Luhan and Sehun looked at each other. Chanyeol always complained about the agent being quiet and still for the whole four days, and awkwardly seeing Chanyeol smiled brightly today was something they didn’t expect. It was soon after Chanyeol made the seafood pizza that night, everything turned upside down. Chanyeol was eager to go back home early. His voice was slightly higher than usual too.

 

“Good to know that new friend of yours finally spoke. I was worried if you ended up like a ghost when you came to work today.” Sehun grinned.

 

“I’m not. He’s really friendly and makes me feel super good today.” And Chanyeol heard the front entrance rang. “Customer’s here.”

 

“I get it!” Sehun got up and quickly pecked Luhan on the lips before he went to serve the customer.

 

Chanyeol didn’t mind of that. They’re couples anyway. A very cute couple. However, the moment Luhan stared at him, it made him feel uneasy. Chanyeol blinked for a few times before he smiled sheepishly, thinking what he had done wrong.

 

“Um... Do you want to say something?” He asked.

 

“Chanyeol. I don’t think you should stick close with this... D.O. guy.” Luhan’s statement made Chanyeol’s heart sank into his stomach.

 

“Why?” It was the first word instantly came out of Chanyeol’s mouth.

 

The older looked around to find Sehun, and noticing the said man was talking to the customer. He leaned closer to Chanyeol this time, making sure it’s just them talking. “He’s an agent, and he’s only staying at your place for a week. A week, Chanyeol. Then he will waltz out of your place and pretend it never happened. You have to know why he broke in at the first place. Why he chose your place to hide, and why he tried to befriend with you.”

 

D.O. never told him why. All Chanyeol knew he’s on a mission. A top secret mission.

 

“He’s doing it for a mission, and that is all I know.” Chanyeol explained.

 

Luhan pursed his lips before placing one hand on the taller’s shoulder. “And that is, my friend, is an obvious reason why he’s at your place; doing his work. He tried to get to know you, so you’ll be comfortable with him. Once he tells you that his job’s done, he leaves and you will tell no one. He knows everything about you. He’s a freaking agent slash police at the same time, for god’s sake! Information is all he wants!”

 

Now Luhan mentioned it, Chanyeol felt that he got tricked. If what he said was right then... Everything what D.O. said to him was a lie? Was everything he said about his favorite food, the story about he was young scripted? Except he did say his job as a sniper, but what was the purpose of taking such a position? To kill someone?

 

Luhan became aware of Chanyeol’s silence. He let out a small smile as he offered. “The construction was halted just before we came here. I don’t think they are going to continue for a short time. Why don’t you come to sleep over at our place?”

 

Chanyeol appreciate for Luhan’s offer, but he politely rejected it. He had to see it for himself. He wanted to see D.O.’s true color, and why out of many places, it had to be in his damn small flat.

 

Walking back home took shorter than he thought. He’s been thinking for quite some time, and he just realized it’s been five days living with that strange agent. He didn’t make the pizza for him today. It’s either Chanyeol has forgotten or he got distracted. He didn’t know. It’s pretty messy to think about what Luhan said back then. What is right? What is wrong? There are so many questions, and D.O. would never answer him. He had already imagined there’s a list of questions written on a paper, and within few second, he saw nothing but a blank paper.

 

It was just a few blocks away, he already saw his flat’s filthy window. For some reason, he swore he saw a silhouette, but it could be just nothing but a dimmed light inside the flat. He knew D.O. was waiting for him, like he always did.

 

But on that fifth night, his life had turned sour.

 

He lazily fiddled with his flat keys to open the door, when the door was suddenly opened in haste, revealing the agent’s grim face. The agent harshly pulled the taller in, closing the door as quickly as possible before cupping Chanyeol’s mouth to silence him. The taller was no longer tired. His body was intense, just like how the agent broke into his flat on the first day, except he was confused what was going on. It merely took a few seconds that there’s no single light in his flat. It wasn’t a blackout for sure, or electricity cut.

 

“Do not make any noise.” The agent whispered firmly. “Listen to me, and do what I say. Go to your room as quiet as possible, lock the door and do not come out until I’m done. Do you understand?”

 

Chanyeol nodded shakily.

 

“Good. I’ll be borrowing this for a while.” D.O. reached to pick up Chanyeol’s black cap before slipping on his head. He released his cupped hand on the taller’s mouth as he gestured him quickly to the room. “Now go. Don’t ask questions.”

 

And Chanyeol did. He didn’t know what was happening, but he was deadly scared. As he reached to his room, he took a worry glance to the agent. The other was still looking at him before giving him a nod, telling him not to worry. And then, he’s gone. He went outside and god knows when he’ll come back.

 

Chanyeol hid himself in the room without lights open. He sat at the corner of the bed, letting the silence consumed him. It’s been a minute, probably, but he couldn’t stop thinking about the agent. Is he going to be okay? Why he told him to hide? Is he safe? What if he got hurt? Is he ever coming back? Chanyeol started to shiver and slowly hugged his knees closer to the chest. He didn’t feel going to sleep at all after the agent told him to do so with seriousness on his face. There’s something else Chanyeol saw in the agent’s eyes before he left. The determination, the anxiety, the insecure. He was momentary forgotten about Luhan’s impression about D.O. Chanyeol waited, waited, and waited. It’s been twenty minutes since D.O. left the flat, but it felt longer than that. Maybe he should check him out.

 

Suddenly, Chanyeol heard the door opened and closed, followed by the sound of breathing in and out unevenly. He was still debating that was he safe to get out of the room or not, until the lights were open again at the living room, he made his move. His air stuck in the throat the moment he saw the condition of the agent, who leaned on the entrance door, panting. His small body slacked slightly. The black cap was removed, revealing how untidy his hair was, and a bruise on the right cheek. Chanyeol was able to spot the dust on the black shirt behind the hoodie to cover, but overall, it was a complete mess.

 

“Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked worriedly.

 

The agent let out a long huff before he nodded. “I’ll manage. Someone was stalking you, and I made sure he won’t be following you again.”

 

“What?!” The taller widened his eyes. Why would anyone want to stalk him? What did he do?

 

“You don’t have to be worry about it. You’re safe now.” D.O. wiped his sweat and fixed his hair. “I suggest you should be in bed. It’s really late.”

 

How could D.O. took this easily? Chanyeol was being followed by an unknown man and the agent simply saying ‘he took care of it’. Either the person was incapacitated or dead, no one knows. Furthermore, that bruise on the cheek should be taken care of. Chanyeol was about to stop him from moving, as he grabbed the agent’s right arm. To his surprise, the agent shoved him away, and let out a loud hiss as he clutched at his arm. By the look on how the agent crunched his face, it must be something painful happening to it. Chanyeol blinked at the moment he felt sticky on his palm. And when he looked what it was, he was shocked right to the core.

 

Blood.

 

His lips trembled, and slowly glanced up at the agent. D.O. wouldn’t dare to look at his face, but he looked slightly guilty about what he had done. D.O. was injured because of him.

 

“...I’ll be fine. Trust me. I brought the kit with me. It’s in the ba--“ D.O. couldn’t finish as the taller grabbed him again on the good arm, and forced him to sit on the dining chair.

 

He watched the other wiped the blood off his hand, and ran to the cabinet, assuming finding a med kit. But Chanyeol seemed to be in hurry, not bothering how loud it was as he pulled the drawers and small doors. He even knocked few stuffs away, as he dug deeper into the cabinet.

 

“Chanyeol, you don’t have to.” D.O. said softly.

 

“Shut up.” Chanyeol’s voiced cracked, still looking for the med kit.

 

“It was just a scratch. There’s nothing to be wor--“

 

“I said shut the up!” He slammed his fist on the wooden cabinet door, giving it a loud bang. He was furious and frustrated that he couldn’t find the kit, after so long that no one ever thought when they need it the most.

 

D.O. shut his lips, and never spoke a word after that. He watched as Chanyeol continue to search the kit until he finally let out a huff of relief when he found it under the sink cabinet. Chanyeol quickly took the kit out, as he scattered the bandages and ointments on the table. He let the panic sank in before exhaled and looked at D.O. The other didn’t say anything before as he slowly removed his coat, revealing the nasty looking cut on the arm which made Chanyeol winced. The taller applied the ointment with  a cotton pad and his eyes kept looking up and down on the wound. He noticed the agent shifted to move closer to him, so he was able to tend it. It took him almost fifteen minutes before he started to clean the blood.

 

“...Sorry. It was-- It was dumb of me.” Chanyeol spoke quietly as he focused on tending the wound.

 

The agent looked up at Chanyeol as he smiled lightly. “You were in panic and everything. Like I was saying, I already have a med kit in my bag, and you could just take it.”

 

Chanyeol froze slightly, his face turned red. “I... Um... I--“

 

D.O. chuckled. “Never mind. At least you found yours. And I apologize that I freaked you out. That guy... He was scouting the area since yesterday.” The agent was aware Chanyeol stopped for a moment to listen he had to say. He saw Chanyeol’s expression was down, as if he was at fault that he caused it. The agent pursed his lips a little. “I knew something bad was going to happen. Didn’t expect he chose to sneak on you. I was afraid that he might do something harmful, so I took action. You could say it was one of my missions, to keep you safe.”

 

Chanyeol looked up at him, debating he should say something or not. But he should be saying something, right? A person he barely knows saved him from getting hurt. If he didn’t take down that guy, he wouldn’t have to live right now. So Chanyeol ended up continue bandaging the smaller before he let out a shudder breath, he said lowly.

 

“Why?” Chanyeol never thought of saying a question. His mouth was giving out before his brain could process. However, the other paid no mind. He smiled lightly and said something that Chanyeol didn’t expect at all.

 

“We’re friends, aren’t we?”

 

The next night, Chanyeol went back early with other seafood pizza on his hand. Except this time as he opened the front door, Chanyeol threw a big smile immediately at the agent, who was sitting at the dining room. He was already expecting him to have a late supper together. Chanyeol almost yell at him for making prawn soup in such condition. D.O.’s arm was still healing as he changed the bandage, but thankfully he didn’t move too much to make it worse. They spoke more that night, laughing and listening to Chanyeol’s story on how he lived alone without parents, how he used to live with his friend; Sehun before he moved to his boyfriend’s house. D.O. gave him a pity look, but Chanyeol shrugged it off, as he said he get used it. Living alone isn’t that bad when you need freedom.

 

***

 

The time flew faster than it should be. Only one finger down, it was already the seventh night. D.O. received an order that the target will be around his location on that night. He told Chanyeol to stay at workplace, but he was persistent. Chanyeol wanted to see him leave on the last day, and yet, he had to be there when D.O. was going to silence his target for good.

 

D.O. was fully geared and his sniper rifle was in the position. Chanyeol watched him from far, fearing the sound of the gunshot that could echoed in his dream. He kept sitting there, not speaking a word, as the agent eyed at the hole of the window. The target will be arriving soon, and he didn’t want to miss it. He has several minutes to spare, and he opened his mouth without looking at the taller.

 

“When I’m done with this, I’ll leave without a trace. You will live as usual, and the most important thing; pretend this meeting never happened.”

 

Chanyeol widened his eyes as he heard him. He knew the agent was going to leave soon, but the fact that they’re going to fake the meeting, it made his heart sank.

 

“You’re not coming back?” Chanyeol said softly.

 

D.O. lowered his gaze, but he had to stay cold. He had to. “No.”

 

It nearly took Chanyeol a minute to think rationally. They’re two different people, two different jobs, and two different worlds they’re living. Chanyeol realized they never worked for each other. He appreciated the agent called him a ‘friend’ just two days ago. But now they faced the reality, where the agent decided to put the majority on his work than relationship. Chanyeol wanted to argue. He wanted to yell in denial. He wanted to tell D.O. to forget everything about work, and stay with him. However, the true human nature, he is also a coward. It’s not him to decide. All he hoped for was a childish dream.

 

It really hurts that he had to give up on him.

 

“...Okay.” Chanyeol felt so heavy to utter the word. It was then replaced by midnight environment, and no one dare to speak afterwards.

 

Soon, a static sound came to surface. The agent swiftly grabbed his walkie-talkie to listen the order.

 

“D.O.”

 

Chanyeol didn’t recognize the voice, and it’s obviously not the ‘Kai’ guy either. The voice was deep, firm and serious. It could be the person who in charge of the mission.

 

“D.O. here in position, waiting for the next order.” The agent spoke clearly and his eyes were sharp.

 

“The target is nearby. There will be two of them. You will be taking out the one with the black suit. Do not miss the shot. You know the drill.”

 

He blinked once. “Affirmative.”

 

“Target’s coming in!” Suddenly another voice came into the walkie-talkie, and Chanyeol immediately recognize the voice. It belongs to Kai.

 

“In position, gentlemen.”

 

D.O. slid back the device on his belt, and he positioned himself with the sniper rifle. He stared one eye through the scope and stayed still as a stone. Chanyeol didn’t want to distract him, so he froze on the spot. However, at the same time, he’s going to watch someone murder somebody. It made him feel uneasy. Imagine a child watches a person shot someone on the head and that mental image could haunt him in sleep. Perhaps he could close his eyes or cover his ears with hands. That should work.

 

Out of nowhere, something just tossed right in front of him, and in reflex, he caught it. He was caught off guard, and confused as well, when he clutched a soundproof headset.

 

“Wear that and close your eyes. Do not take it off until I’m done.” D.O. said it in haste.

 

Chanyeol was dumbfounded, to be honest. Even at times like this, D.O. still kept his eye on him. He didn’t want this when they only have a few minutes. But somehow Chanyeol obeyed because D.O. was right after all. He wore the soundproof headset and sat as quiet as possible.

 

Then things got intense. They could see a single car came into their view behind the flat window. It’s a black shiny car with an ‘H’ logo plastered on the front hood. It was parked right next to a single lamp post before turning off the engine. It took several minutes before two unknown men came out of the car and walked to a trash can. At that moment, D.O. tightened his grip on the gun, ready to take a shot. He’s been waiting for seven damn days to set this up, and he didn’t want to screw the effort. He already used Chanyeol’s home as a camping place for a long time, and now he wanted to give his usual life back. This wasn’t his place to begin with.

 

“Anytime now, D.O.”

 

He heard his leader giving permission to eliminate the target, so he placed his finger carefully on the trigger and aimed carefully at the said target. The man in the black suit was just standing there, watching the other guy taking something out of the trash can. It could be drugs. “A still target. It should be easy.” D.O. thought.

 

Just before he could pull the trigger, he heard a faint gasp. It was distracting that he had to shift his gaze to whoever made the noise, and the sight made his heart ache.

 

Chanyeol was shaking on the spot he was sitting on. His eyes were tightly shut, his lips were trembling and letting out a shuddering breath. His hands were clutching tight on the headset, didn’t want to hear the gunshot, but D.O. knew it wasn’t enough to cover the loud bang, especially when Chanyeol was sitting near him. He could feel that Chanyeol was genuinely scared. It made his skin shiver.

 

“D.O.”

 

His leader pressed his name, and he turned back to his target. He took the aim again, but he didn’t shoot him. His mind was clouded about the aftermath, because he knew Chanyeol will not safe anymore. He remembered as he discussed with Kai and their leader. They will make sure Chanyeol is safe under their hands. However, D.O. didn’t want this resolution, and so he chose to lower his gun. Chanyeol opened his eyes slightly and saw D.O.’s action, he blinked in confusion. He looked at the window to see if the target got shot, but he was still standing right there. Chanyeol couldn’t understand why D.O. didn’t shoot that guy.

 

“D.O., what’s the hold up?” Kai spoke this time.

 

D.O. quickly grabbed the walkie-talkie, and took a deep breath. “Civilian in sight. I had to step down.”

 

Chanyeol looked at him again, and his breath stuck in the throat. Civilian that D.O. mentioned meant to be him or someone else? He couldn’t see any strangers in their area.

 

“I don’t see any civilian.” Kai insisted.

 

“There is a civilian in sight.” D.O.’s voice was much firmer and confident. “Remember the priority; civilian first. We need a clean kill for this mission, no witness, no blood trace. Listen here, I call for ‘Plan B’. We still have time. Please hear me out, sir.”

 

At this moment, Chanyeol’s eyes met D.O.’s. He could read clearly that the agent sent him a gentle stare. It wasn’t threatening, it’s more to pitiful, and the sight made the weight on Chanyeol’s shoulders dropped. He finally knew what the agent was doing. The agent chose Chanyeol over the mission, which could result a disappointment to the intel. Before Chanyeol could say anything, they’re interrupted by the device’s noise.

 

“Abort mission, proceed to ‘Plan B’. You have ten minutes.”

 

“Roger that.”

 

“Affirmative.” D.O. and Kai spoke at the same time.

 

It was too quick. Chanyeol took a look at the car again, and the target got the item he wanted before drove the car away. Meanwhile, D.O. slung the sniper around his shoulder, grabbed all the things, including the headset, and stuffed them into the bag. He didn’t look at the taller as he quickly ran to the front, reaching for the doorknob.

 

“D.O.!” The taller grabbed the smaller’s shoulder before he could do anything, and they didn’t move for a couple seconds.

 

The agent was facing the door, and waited for Chanyeol to say something. However, he didn’t hear a word from the taller, he slowly turned around and found out Chanyeol having a difficulty to speak. He watched as Chanyeol kept biting his lower lips, his eyes were blinking, not letting the tears to fall. Then that hit D.O. right at the core. This was the moment when D.O. stepped out of the flat, he will not return. Chanyeol wasn’t ready for goodbyes.

 

“It was nice knowing you, Chanyeol.” D.O. spoke gently as he could. “I had fun for the last four days. Well, we didn’t speak a lot in the first three days, but we did talk, didn’t we? So um...”

 

“Why? Why didn’t you shoot him? Was it because of me?” Chanyeol interrupted.

 

The smaller sighed lightly. He didn’t want to explain, but since he asked, he had to. “I couldn’t risk it. This place, and you. This is your life, and I’m not going to ruin it. I’m sorry, I lied. They told me you’ll safe under our watch, but no. I’m afraid if they will find this place and you had to run away from them. Your life will change because of me.”

 

Chanyeol stared at him in disbelief. D.O.’s action was unacceptable, but all he wanted to do was protecting him. Chanyeol couldn’t repay his deeds. It cost almost all his life to him.

 

“I have to go.” D.O. quickly turned around and twisted the doorknob. Only he was stopped again when he heard Chanyeol spoke.

 

“Promise me that you’ll come back. By then I’ll serve your favorite food. I’ll wait for you.”

 

D.O. shook his head, still not looking at the taller. “Chanyeol, don’t.”

 

“Promise me. Please?” Chanyeol sounded more desperate this time.

 

D.O. clutched tight on the doorknob as he bit his lips. He inhaled slowly, trying to calm himself before drawing a tight smile. “This is something I can’t promise willingly. Thank you, and goodbye.”

 

The door closed behind him. Chanyeol stood there without moving. A single tear fell without holding back. He thought being alone was okay, but why his heart hurts so much?

 

***

 

Following weeks later, Chanyeol was able to be himself at work. He was smiling, doing well with the customers, showing his manners when they’re leaving. However, only Sehun and Luhan could see the change; Chanyeol hadn’t talked much lately. They tried to strike a conversation, Chanyeol mostly nodded or talked when he needed to. He was in his own world, accepting what’s going on around him. The change scared them.

 

They also noticed Chanyeol loved seafood lately. Every time he brought home for dinner, he made himself a seafood related dish for himself. One time, Sehun and Luhan brought him out to eat before work, Chanyeol ordered crab meat soup for all of them. No one was complaining. At least, Chanyeol has an appetite to eat and be alright.

 

It was just yesterday Sehun bought a new DVD movie, and suggested to gather in Chanyeol’s flat. Tomorrow was their holiday, and both Sehun and Luhan wanted a cuddle party. Chanyeol chuckled at the idea, but he approved it. They did twice few months back, and it always ended up badly. Last time, Sehun’s limbs went all over his body, and Luhan wasn’t happy about it. It took Sehun twenty four hours to win Luhan’s heart back, with Chanyeol’s help.

 

As usual, Chanyeol prepared a pizza for three of them, and he ended up making seafood pizza again. On his way back home, he just realized his friends might get tired of the same flavor. So he thought he could just put them in the trash, and find something else. He was lost in thought as he continued to bring the pizza straight on the dining table, while he looked what else was there in the fridge. “Fries might work.” He thought as he took it out.

 

It hadn’t reached ten minutes after he stepped into his flat, there was a knock on his front door. Chanyeol turned to his watch, and sighed. Sehun and Luhan are sure early. He fixed the couch, the DVD player before he rushed to the front door.

 

“Guys, chill. I haven’t taken a shower yet!”

 

He quickly opened the door, and froze when he saw someone familiar. It took him nearly a minute before he scowled, before closing the door. A hand stopped the door from closing, even with Chanyeol strength, he knew he could never win against ‘him’.

 

“Chanyeol, please listen to me.” The guy begged.

 

The taller shook his head rapidly. He’s on the verge of tears again. “I wish you never be here. Not even ing once after you left.” He took a deep breath, still trying to close the door, but failed. “Why did you come back? You said you won’t-- You didn’t promise! You liar! You ing liar!”

 

A strong force pushed the door away, and Chanyeol stumbled backward. His breath hitched as the smaller closed the door behind him. Chanyeol hated this. The man who broke into his flat, and left as he pleases, returned like nothing happened. It felt like he’s been cheated for a whole week. He wanted to be alone, without remembering the agent. It pains him a lot.

 

“Chanyeol.” Before the agent could even start, Chanyeol closed his eyes and turned away. He didn’t want to hear any of it. He had enough of him. D.O. kept his head down as he continued. “I’m so sorry. I never promise you to come back, but I-- I admit. It was a big mistake leaving you behind.” D.O. fiddled with his fingers. ”I remembered after listened to your story, I... I think we have a lot of common sense. We use to live alone in a single house. No roommate, no family, just being alone. You told me being alone is alright, as long we have work kill the boredom. But I didn’t feel it that way.”

 

He paused to take a small breath. “When I get back home after eliminated the target, I felt something was missing, but I couldn’t pinpoint what it was. This is kind of embarrassing that there’s one day, I happened to... serve two bowls of crab meat soup. My mind was blank, and I laugh at myself. Why do I need another bowl for a soup?”

 

He chuckled bitterly. “That moment, I realized I couldn’t stop thinking about that guy who served me the same pizza every midnight, sharp. That guy who is always smiling widely, that guy who sometimes acts cutely even it wasn’t intentional, that guy who said ‘I’m going to introduce you to my friends!’ excitedly. It made me wonder, how is he now? Is he alright? Is he safe? Is he okay staying home right now?--“

 

“Of course not.” Chanyeol spoke and was facing him this time, as the agent looked up at him. “You don’t know how hurt I was? I have high hopes for you to come back, making that stupid soup every time I came back from work. I waited. I ing waited for weeks, and starting to lose hope that you’ve forgotten about ‘this guy’ you mentioned. What kind of friend are you?”

 

D.O. lowered his head slowly. Maybe he shouldn’t come here at the first place. His existence was only to hurt his friend’s feeling more. D.O. was decided to turn away, and leave. He didn’t deserve him, as he thought. But what happened next, his heart beat froze when a pair of arms wrapped around him, and held tight. He didn’t plan to struggle at all. He was surprised that the taller was hugging him close, afraid to lose him again. Chanyeol missed D.O. so much.

 

“You’ve come this far, so please don’t leave. I don’t want to lose you again. You’ve been a great company to me even for seven days. I really, really miss you.” Chanyeol’s voice muffled on the smaller’s shoulder.

 

The agent gradually drew a small smile. He was relived that Chanyeol had such a good heart, and forgave him. D.O. returned the hug, and said. ”I’m not going to leave you alone. Not ever again, at least for this week. I’m on my break.”

 

Chanyeol eventually released the hug to take a good look at his new friend. They’re smiling and their cheeks flushed in red again, just like old times. “Me too. It’s public holiday today, and I was supposed to be... Oh, right. My friends are coming over. I should get prepared ten minutes ago. Gosh, you came on the worst timing ever.”

 

“I did, didn’t I?” D.O. blushed as he followed Chanyeol to the kitchen, only to realize Chanyeol had his favorite food on the table. “Is that for me?”

 

“Very funny. It’s for all of us. But you can have more pieces than they do. I don’t think they like seafood very much, so knock yourself out, D.O.” Chanyeol took the frozen fries into the microwave, only he heard a faint voice that made him startled.

 

“It’s Kyungsoo.”

 

Chanyeol turned to the other, and blinked. That sounded like a name. “Say that again?”

 

The agent chuckled lightly, and his voice was clearer this time.”I said my name Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol repeated, following a smile. He waited for so, so long, and finally he has his name. “What a nice name.” Chanyeol was already fallen in love with this guy.

 

***