Chapter One: Repeating History

Creating History

It had been planned since birth for Jimin to become the Prince’s personal servant. He and Jungkook grew up together and never had Jimin ever disobeyed an order. He was willing to swim to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean for the doe-eyed prince. So when he was asked to go to the stables to fetch the Prince’s coat, he left before Jungkook had a chance to finish his sentence.

The palace was colossal in size and was filled with knights, maids, and footsmen. A particular group of kitchen staff never faired well with Jimin. So when they saw the boy run past the kitchen, they eagerly poured some melted butter in the hall. They watched as Jimin run back from the stables with an exquisite fur coat.

Clueless as Jimin was to all their antics, his feet kicked back onto the butter and fell forward. The lovely jacket breaking his fall. He desperately tried to put it over his head but the oily substance clung onto the soft material. Jimin let out a gut-wrenching puff of air and felt his heart pummel to his stomach, that was Prince Jeon’s favourite.

“Look who’s here, the Prince’s precious little .” The dishwasher kicked the coat to which Jimin tried to block from his dirty feet. He sent a weak glare before standing up; the four of them snickered. “You better get that to your Prince before he starts to worry, about the coat of course.”


When Jungkook saw Jimin limping towards him with his most treasured coat, he didn’t know what to feel. He reached for the servant’s hand but was met with the only clean surface of the dirtied material. As soon as it was out of his hands, Jimin went down on his knees with his head bent low. “I beg for your forgiveness your highness.”

“Tell me what happened.”

“There was an incident in the kitchen-” Jimin went quiet when he heard Jungkook’s exasperated sigh. He waited for a few seconds before beginning again in a softer tone. “I do not have enough to repair it but I will take whatever punishment to atone for the damage.”

“Stand up.” Jungkook didn’t like how Jimin was constantly the target for the other workers in the palace. What he disliked even more was the fact that Jimin was on his knees begging to be forgiven over such a small wrongdoing that wasn’t even his fault. He wasn’t a petty prince.

“But your highness-”

Jungkook lifted Jimin’s chin, a sympathetic smile danced on his face. “I’m not upset about my coat, I’ll just request a new one from the tailor. Now come, clean up before we leave for the Lord’s estate.”


Lord Taehyung lived adjacent to the Jeon Palace. He grew up with Jungkook and constantly nagged Jimin to stop addressing him so formally, that “Taehyunggie is just fine.”

Jimin was asked to wait outside, he didn’t mind though. He wasn’t high enough on the hierarchy to be trusted with information anyways.

Behind the closed doors, Taehyung poured Jungkook a drink. “Have you talked to your parents about it?”

“It cannot be stopped. I must think about the future of my country.”

“Jeon Jungkook. I’ll talk, not as a Lord and his highness but as a brother. Will you be happy?”

He bit into an ice cube. “Who else would I marry Tae? I do not have the choice you did a few years ago. Speaking of which, how is Prince Hoseok?”

Seeing as Jungkook purposely changed the subject, Taehyung only nodded as he updated him on his engagement with the other Prince.

“Have you spoken to the Earl lately? He and his knights were planning on coming in a week or so.”

Jungkook’s posture straightened. “Are they here for a visit or?”

“They’re moving back to their old estate. The seven of us will be together again.”

“Seven?”

“Don’t forget about Jimin, your highness.” Taehyung’s mocking tone emphasized Jungkook’s guilt that brewed inside of him.

Seokjin and his knights grew up in the same garden as Jungkook. They used to play as Jimin’s mother watched over them. “Jungkook, what happened to your father and Mrs. Park has nothing to do with you.”

“I just don’t want history to repeat itself.”

“And it won’t. Do you love him?”

“No, most definitely not. He just needs to be watched over, the people in the palace aren't so fond of him.”

Taehyung pointed to the door. “Would that explain the limp in his step?” He gave a warm look to which Jungkook looked away from with a scowl. “You care for him, don’t let your past and pride hold you back on anything. Jimin certainly doesn't deserve it.”

There was a knock on the door before a brown tuff of hair poked through. “Your highness, it’s already noon.”

The way back to the castle had the Prince observing Jimin closely. His mind making the limp look ten times worse than it already was. Jungkook dismissed Jimin for the afternoon since he would be having afternoon tea with his fiancée. He cursed at his parents for arranging the marriage without his consent but he knew it was no use. He was becoming his father.

Sir Jeon was a very respected man, he had a son who all the Earls and Dukes were jealous of. He and Madam Jeon trusted their son to Mrs. Park who watched over Jungkook like her own kin. Unbeknown to Madam that the nanny was the real love of Sir Jeon’s life. A stormy afternoon while Madam Jeon went out for tea, Mrs. Park made the announcement that her husband planed to move out of the palace for the sake of his business. The news broke Sir. Jeon’s heart and banished the family out of the country, he had promised Mrs. Park a life of luxury but his family had never accepted such a peasant to become the Queen. His decision to keep her by his side as the nanny was the only source of selfish happiness, Sir Jeon was never the same after. He couldn’t throw Jimin out though, the look on his love when he banished them was too hard to take, especially when she begged him to let Jimin stay in the palace. It was unspoken but everyone knew that if Jimin were to leave with his mother, there was a chance that he wouldn't live until his teenage years. Jimin was the only connection to the woman he once loved but he couldn't bring himself to look at the boy. After all, he was the result of not marrying the woman he loved the most.


“You haven't touched your tea.”

Jungkook’s mind wandered as Lady Lee discussed about a spring wedding by the forest. He took a sip when she inquired about his disinterest in the drink and let his eyes wander out the window. He caught Jimin who was walking around the bushes behind their pagoda but what made his head turn was the discoloured patch of skin that was accentuated by the rolled up ends of his pants. He kept in mind to bring Jimin to the infirmary as he nodded along to Lady Lee’s meaningless chatter.


“Jimin.” The boy turned at the call of his name. “Let us stop by the west wing before heading to the stables.”

“Are you hurt, your highness?” Jimin’s question was left unanswered as he followed Jungkook into the infirmary. His confusion quickly turned into realization as the Prince pointed to the bed. “Oh no your highness, don’t worry about me. Its just a sprain.”

“It’s doubled in size and purple. Take a seat, it’s an order.” He bent down to wrap the swollen ankle but flinched back when Jimin let out an exasperated sigh.

“Please your highness, let me do it myself. Someone could catch us.”

“And what is wrong with helping my servant?”

His voice lowered to a whisper. “I am not worthy of this treatment. Please do not get your hands dirty at my own wrongdoings.”

“Do not think too much. I’m just worried that Darling will not have anyone to brush her mane when I’m busy.” The pleading look was enough to make Jungkook hand the roll of gauze over.

“Of course your highness.”


 

As Lady Lee predicted, their wedding would be in the upcoming spring. Which also mean that it gave Jungkook three more seasons before he was crowned King. Taehyung would scoff overtime he heard the woman’s name. They were back in the garden with Seokjin having lunch and Taehyung badly wanted to change the subject.

“How is Jimin’s ankle?”

“It’s healed, Kim Taehyung do you really not have anything more interesting to discuss?”

Seokjin leaned back into his chair. “What is more entertaining than watching you become flustered over-”

“Do not finish that sentence.”

“Ouu please, you should tell him about your arrangements with Jimin this afternoon.” Taehyung smiled innocently despite the basket of breadsticks that were thrown at him.

“He’s only teaching me how to dance.” He pointed a finger at Seokjin. “Which I am late for. I’ll settle arrangements for dinner tomorrow night with all of us. Call in Namjoon and Yoongi too.”


 

“You’re pacing it too fast your highness.” The music played in the background as they repeated the same move countless times. Jungkook was on the verge of giving up when Jimin pulled him closer. “I’ll count with you, don’t give up.”

Jimin didn’t look up, otherwise he would’ve seen the blush that spread across the Prince’s cheeks. It took a few more toe stepping and irritated sighs before they finally completed the dance without hurting each other.

“We did it, thank you Jimin.” He looked down in the servants brown eyes that shine with pride.

“No your highness, I cannot take credit for your-” His sentence cut short by the large wooden doors opening. Sir Jeon walking in with a violent air above him.