Chapter 3: The Blackmailer

May Satan Have Mercy On Your Soul

Night 3

The Mafia are back in their hut utterly confused. Baekhyun did not choose to frame Namjoon, his target was Yixing. The only conclusion they could come up with was that the witch was on the loose. And that’s not good. The witch has the ability to control people’s actions.

If they don’t find out who the witch is soon, the witch might accidently use their Godfather to kill another Mafia member.

“No killing tonight. Too risky.”

“You do know they can still control you to kill someone right?” Baekhyun explained.

“That’s true but it’s still safer to stay inside today because someone may see us.”

“We need to know who this witch is so that we can team up with them.”

“Frame Yixing.”

“Alright.”

 

Baekhyun went to Yixing’s house wearing his black mask. He crept into the home with the bloody rock clutched onto his hand. But footsteps were heard from behind. Faint footsteps, but still pretty clear. Baekhyun leapt to the nearest couch and hid behind it. He peeked to the side to take a glance.

“Jongin?” He thought. What was he doing in the house? He couldn’t move. A wrong move could lead to exposure of his location. He doesn’t even know Jongin’s real role in this cruel world.

But he kept his focus on Jongin for suspicious activity. He observed his every move - walking to the door, fiddling with some plastic, looking through some bags - until he came back with a knife in his hand. He must have discovered it in Yixing’s room. Yixing must be a doctor or a serial killer right?

Forgetting to complete his task, he ran back to the hut to tell them the news.

“Go and blackmail Jongin. He’s got one of Yixing’s knifes. Use that against him.”

 

The blackmailer hurried out of the hut to get to Jongin. He hid behind a willow tree close to Jongin’s house. And he waited. He waited for Jongin to come back from Yixing’s house and jump him as soon as he’s about to get home.

On the other hand, Jongin was strolling on the pathway whistling a calm tune to himself. He managed to get seemingly vital information. He’s proud of himself.

“Wow, this is great. I can’t wait to tell Kyu-“

The blackmailer knocked him on the head with his fist. Jongin turned back alarmed while the blackmailer put him in a headlock.

“Listen to me; you are to give me that ing knife as we lynch you off tomorrow. Understand?”

“And why would I-“

“Because you wouldn’t want to see your precious Kyungie get hurt would you?” That hit Jongin right in the heart. To see someone he admired and liked get hurt only gave him the same amount to pain emotionally. He stayed silent as the blackmailer let him out and grabbed the knife out of his grasp.

“That’s what I thought, Jongin. May Satan have mercy on your soul. Tell no one about me.”

 

Day 4:

The town was waiting for an announcement of someone’s death. It was a daily routine, waiting for someone to be announced dead. But they waited and waited for so long, they started to get impatient.

“Are you gonna say anything or not?” Kris spoke up, stomping his left foot on the ground repeatedly.

“No.”

“And why not?”

“Because no one died, now discuss.”

“Now that’s utterly weird. What happened to the Mafia?” Kris asked Jongin maliciously. Poor Jongin could only gulp and look away, trying not to break a sweat.

“Well, I found this in Jongin’s home last night.” Xiumin announced. Jongin was now surprised by who approached him last night. Xiumin looked so innocent and kind-hearted, how could he have been part of the Mafia?

“A knife? You do realise he could be a doctor right?” asked Kyungsoo.

“Yes, but he could also be a Serial Killer too. Having the Mafia and a Serial Killer in one town only puts our lives in more danger.”

“But we can’t afford to lose a doctor.” Kyungsoo brought up. Xiumin subtly glared at him

“Yes, so it’s a fifty-fifty chance right? Whose willing to risk it?” he said through gritted teeth.

Half the town voted against Jongin, however, it wasn’t enough for one to take the stand. Kyungsoo didn’t vote against Jongin, which left Xiumin slightly angered.

“It is too late to continue voting. Town dismissed!”

 

As Kyungsoo was walking about doing his own business, someone grabbed and pulled him to the side into a deserted area of the town. Kyungsoo was shocked to see it was none other than Xiumin.

“What the f**k were you doing back there?!”

“I-it’s all strategy, hyung, trust me.”

“Yeah right, I know you love him too, don’t you? I used you against him to blackmail him.”

“What?”

“What else could I have done to make him agree? I am so disappointed in you, our Godfather would be too! That is a strategy of a Mafia member, remember? Anyway, I need you cooperation here. He needs to get lynched soon or I’m gonna get toasted tomorrow. Then, we lose a blackmailer on our team.”

Xiumin continued to explain the plan to Kyungsoo as he was calm now. But Kyungsoo wasn’t listening. He could only think; think of the memories, the smiles, the good times. He can’t lynch off Jongin. He had supported Kyungsoo ever since they first met; and stabbing him in the back was the last thing he’ll do to break off this friendship.

“No.”

“What?”

“I said no. I thought you of all people would understand? I guess I was wrong. Jongdae would be disappointed in you.” He nudged out of Xiumin’s grasp and walked off holding back his tears. He knew it was wrong to disobey the orders of a Mafia member or leader. He knew it was wrong to not lynch off a town member when they had the perfect opportunity to do so. He knew it was all wrong, but this was Jongin. Jongin was his best friend. He had mutual feelings towards this boy but never told him. He also never told about the fact that he is part of the Mafia. There’s not enough trust. You can’t trust anyone in this game fully.

“You’re right,” Xiumin sighed as he watched Kyungsoo walk away, “Please forgive me, Jongdae.”