01;

W: The Continuous Story

01;
 

True, they were already married but that was in his world. That was something he didn't even remember and he hates to know that. Today marks the official day they'll be getting marry and Chul vows to remember it no matter what happens. He looks over at the empty chairs inside his waiting room and wonders how nice would it be if his family is here to congratulate him. They would have loved Yeonjoo a lot too, they've always wanted a bright daughter-in-law. And how nice would it be if the man he called his family is here too. She'd be happy, Yeonjoo would probably be very happy.

He knows that even though they got their happy ending, deep down she's not exactly that happy. She lost a father. She made her decison to protect them both, that no one will have to disappear but she wasn't even allow a say in this. She couldn't even see him for one last time. When she was teleported back to her world, she knew she couldn't have Chul so all she wished was the safety of the only man whom she respected and love despite anything. 

But he never comes. The one she didn't expect to come came to her rescue instead and the only thing he brought along confirmed her worst nightmare. She doesn't have a father anymore and she doesn't even know how to break the news to her family. She didn't know what to tell her mom, not sure if she'd actually care but part of her knows deep down, her mom still cares about him. She still loves him a lot. She told her he'll be back but, he's gone for good and she has no choices but to lie to her mom that he's gone, from committing suicide because the field he chose, true, it made him really rich but it was stressful. 

For these past 2 years, Chul tried to get her mind off anything related to her father. He knows how it feels like. The pain is stronger than anything else. And though she's happy about their happy ending, her heart lingers for a dad she wishes he'd at least see her walk down the aisle or sees her opening her own hospital or maybe even a little somone calling him grandpa but all was done, it won't be happening anymore. 

The door to his waiting room flings open almost at once and Soobong comes running inside. Chul checks his watch and there's at leat 30 minutes left until the actual ceremony, there's no reason for him to look so rush. Soobong's wearing his tuxedo, his hairs are styled nicely compared to all the times Chul has seen him and his glasses are placed perfectly on the bridge of his nose. Yes, Chul chose him to be his groomsman. 

"Kang hyung, are you done? You need to greet the guest."

Chul gasps a little. He had totally forgotten about greeting the guests. He gives himself another fix on his tuxedo's collars and turns to Soobong. "Sure." 

All the guests were mostly from Yeonjoo's and Chul had no idea half of the time who he's been greeting at all except a few familiar faces including Yeonjoo's professor (preferably crazy dog), Yeonjoo's colleagues he saw a few times at the hospital and most VIP guests he knew from his business and are closed with. He didn't really have time to make friends with anyone in this world but that wasn't exactly the most important thing to him now.

Most of the elders hold his hands and congratulate him warmly, telling him to take care of Yeonjoo and to live well together. He hadn't feel this warmth for so long. He looked over at his side to see Yeonjoo's aunt and uncle standing next to him in place of his parents. All these time, they had been taking care of him as if he's their own after learning that he lost both of his parents from Yeonjoo. She made sure not to tell them that Chul had siblings because she didn't want them to question him on why did he lost his whole family. It has been painful enough for him. He was grateful for all of that. 

5 minutes to the actual ceremony, the main door was closed and Chul finds himself shaking from all the nerves. He hadn't see Yeonjoo at all today but the last 5 minutes were making him even more reckless and excited. By the door and the entrance were his guards who stood perfectly still but among them was his personal bodyguard whom he was the closest with, gives him a teasing smile. They pulled the door open and Chul lets out a sigh to calm himself down before walking down the aisle. Everyone clap for him here and there while exclaiming how he's so handsome that if anyone tell them he's from a comic book, they'd still believe it. Chul thought how would they react if he tells them that he really did come straight out of a comic book but he's contented enough with just Soobong and Yeonjoo knowing about this. Or maybe if Professor Park brings him out for a drink and got him drunk, the worst could happen and he'll be chop by Yeonjoo.

Yeonjoo's mom sits in the bride's parent's seat alone while her aunt and uncle sit in the groom's. Sukbeom voluntarily hosts the wedding and Chul found out last 2 years when he's been fetching Yeonjoo to and from the hospital and visited her by times that Sukbeom actually liked Yeonjoo. Sukbeom used to always avoided him and won't talk to him at all but it looks like he's moved on because they're cool with each other now. Chul made sure to never spill this to Yeonjoo at all, the least he wants was for her to lose a good friend like Sukbeom because of him. Afteral, Chul has to admit that Sukbeom has been a really great friend and he may a lot but he's really caring. 

Sukbeom somehow loses himself in praising Chul's appearance today when he strided down the aisle. He had reached the very front and stood there for about a minute and a half now but Sukbeom seems to not care about the timing at all as he continues to praise Chul for hos dashing he actually looks, even to a man.

The priest gives Sukbeom a sharp look and he finally get a hold of himself and flips his script. He clears his throat embarrassingly but only makes everyone chuckle but this time, Chul's stomach lurks in excitement. He's finally getting to see Yeonjoo.

"Oh Yeonjoo..." Sukbeom starts. "She's someone I have worked with for a long time and we all thought she was going to marry last or not even marry at all."

Chul smiles to himself at that.

"We thought she'd actually stay single forever and live with cats but suddenly, she announces that she's getting married. This friend is really amusing. She was never beautiful in our eyes because she's so close to us, we didn't see her a s a woman at all. She'd be sleeping all sprawl out on the bunk across from me with saliva on the corner of and jumped out of bed immediately when she's called in on duty.

"But all doctors are like that. If you think doctors are the cleanest people in the world, you're wrong. We're the dirtiest people alive. It's a tradition. There are days when we won't even get to shower or wash our hairs-"

"Ahem." The priest gives Sukbeom a look. 

Sukbeom turns to the priest and clears his throat again but everyone are still laughing at him. Chul is already imagining Yeonjoo being like that while listening to him and he's surprised that he's not grossed out by that for a clean freak like he is.

"This is the first time I'm calling her beautiful but I really mean it, she's really pretty and I wonder why didn't I see that all these times. Please welcome our beautiful bride enthusiatically!"

The door finally opens and Yeonjoo slowly steps inside the hall. Her wedding dress is so long that it trails along the floor. It's sleeveless and puffy. It's sparkly around her waist so that it gives her small waist a beautiful highlight. Her hair was curled into the usual wave Chul likes and with a bouquet in her hand, she takes a step down the aisle alone. Chul was just mesmerized, he couldn't even hear the loud clapping from the guests. He couldn't wish for more. He had always that she's not pretty though he knows he didn't mean it but today, he didn't even have to the heart to say she isn't pretty.

Her face is stiff from the tesion but she's staring at him for reassurance and he gives her exactly that. His lip unknowingly curves into a smile as he watches her taking each step down the aisle toward him. Walking toward him is the woman whom he once claimed to hold a key to his life. He's just thankful that she holds onto that key without letting it go, thankful that she adores him like no one had ever does.

At last, they're facing each other and Chul smiles at her. Yeonjoo seems to find the source of reassurance from that as she takes his hand and faces the priest together. They were asked to bow to each other and then to their parents and then to the guests. Yeonjoo's mom was crying so hard, Yeonjoo could barely hold her tears back.

"The bride and groom will now exchange their wedding present."

They exchange the wedding rings they've always shared. Chul knows this is the first time he puts a ring on her finger personally and he notes the please expression on her face. All these while, it was Doyoon who gave her the ring, Chul who picked it up for her and Chul who took it off her finger. For a second, he mentally cursed himself for being such a jerk.

Chul reaches for Yeonjoo's hand as he holds onto it protectively and they kiss inside each other's arms as cheers erupted from both sides. It was real, not drawn, not fabricated, not decided by anyone but their own will. It's real.

This is the happy ending he longs for after all the suffering.

 

•••

 

Yeonjoo actually wished for a normal life but Chul established his own company again 2 years ago and with his skills, it went smoothly and he had his life just the way it was in the comic. The Kang Chul who won't have to worry about spending money on anything. Yeonjoo was confused on where did he even get that much money to start a company until he told her that before he came to her world 2 years ago, he was free legally in his world and had access to the remaining money he had left. But Chul only brought a quarter of those and had the rest built into a foundation for Doyoon to take care of though he got scolded for giving him more paperworks to do. All Doyoon wanted was to fight, not dealt with paperworks but Chul insisted.

Given the money Chul had, a quarter of those were probably still way too much and Yeonjoo almost had a mental breakdown when Chul suggested that to send all of those into her bank account in the mean time until he could finally worked things out and opened his own bank account.

Things went smoothly for them anyway even though Yeonjoo was half scared now that her bank account are filled with that much money. Sure, they're living in a huge and luxurious house (he thought living in a penthouse again won't be that much comfortable now that they need some private time together, not that he's planning to have that private time every day but he's sure he won't be the one complaining if it does happen) and there are staffs and guards but Yeonjoo was somewhat disaapointed because that means he'll be very busy and their lives will be in so much spotlight. Who wouldn't swoon over a hot, gorgeous young billionaire who looks like he comes straight out from a webtoon? Mind them, he really did. Not to mention the guards in front of their room, how will they ever have that private moment?

It'd be a lie to say that she wasn't annoyed when her colleagues were asking her why is she still working with all the assets her boyfriend owned and it wasn't that much better when Professor Park rushed into her office for nothing but a mere question on how did her boyfriend owned almost every huge corporation in Korea and is actually really called Kang Chul and really did owned a broadcasting system and if her father was actually inspired by him all along? She actually thought of telling him that Chul robbed a bank once to start his company because it was getting too tiring but decided not to.

Yeonjoo stares at the TV screen in their living room as it displays a short clip from her wedding earlier this morning and a few pictures of them leaving the venue. They should be on a plane to Hawaii right now for their honeymoon but the darn meeting Chul had just had to get in their way. Yeonjoo had no choice but to unpack and organized their stuffs back into the wardrobe.

"Mrs. Kang, will President Kang have lunch at home?"

Yeonjoo looks up from the television screen to the female staff in front of her and then at the clock on the wall. It's only an hour left before lunch hour and it hasn't even been half a day since they got married but Chul is already nowhere to be seen.

She smiles. "I guess I'll be eating alone."

Her phone rings almost immediately as Chul's caller ID flashes across the screen. She accepted the call but didn't greet him at all, she had no idea if she's upset or disappointed or tried to make him feel guilty but decided she was just overreacting over something he didn't do on purpose.

"Are you still mad?" Chul laughs a little at the lack of response when she picked up her phone.

Chul knows that she's upset but he couldn't call to apologize. After all, he was never the type to do so and he's really bad at calling to beg for forgiveness to the point that it might backfired and makes her even angrier. He remembered doing that last 2 years and he ended up adding fuel to the fire and Yeonjoo wouldn't talk to him for 2 days. 

Yeonjoo sighs, she tries to swallow down all the things she wants to say but Chul is already expecting it on the other line. He stays absolutely silent as if he knows at any second, she would rant about this.

"How could you leave for work right after we put a ring on each other's fingers? You asked me to pack for the trip and wrote down things I want to do in Hawaii and now I'm about to even eat lunch alone. What's the use of marking things down? We haven't even complete all the romantic tasks you asked me to choose last time." Yeonjoo rumbles but most words weren't exactly audible. She was only saying it but she wasn't sure if she wanted him to hear that or not.

Chul only chuckles at that. He likes it when she rumbles out of disappointment, it was such a side to see, in a good way of course. When she finishes talking, he decides it's a good time to ask her something back. 

"Do you want to come out for lunch now? I'll pick you up in 30 minutes." 

Yeonjoo huffs. "Never mind." 

Then, she hangs up on him. Chul blinks at his phone but shrugs a little and decided to just go back to work, maybe he'll be eating alone and makes it up to her later tonight. Just then, his phone rings again and he smiles as Yeonjoo's Caller ID appears. 

"Give me 1 hour." 

He smiles. "Okay." 

It hadn't been 3 hours since she took a shower and shampoo her hair since there was so many hair products in it but Yeonjoo rushed to her bedroom and decided to fix her make up again. There's a walk-in-closet now and half of the side are her clothes that she bought it herself and new clothes that Chul filled it in for her and she had absolutely no clues about it but she decided to rummage through it and found a peach mini dress without anything complex but just simple lines around her waist. Chul had never really see her in short dresses and the last time she actually wore a dress he bought for her, she got caught by the police and had to spend days in jail. 

The staff offered to help with her makeup but Yeonjoo refused. It was quite difficult as she kept on trying to help but Yeonjoo insisted so she eventually left. There's a soft click on the door and Yeonjoo thought the staff might have came back inside to bring her something or offer her to help again but instead Chul came inside and smiled at her. She tilted her head to check the clock on the wall and Chul did exactly the same thing. 

"It had only been 30 minutes." She said. 

He nods and comfortably sits on the bed as he stares at her putting on her make up. "I want to come early and see you." 

"We just met." Yeonjoo laughs. "Are you planning not to come home tonight?" 

He shrugs and starts to observes her silently. "It's starting to get chilly outside, will you be fine with just that?"

"I'll just bring another coat along."

Yeonjoo curls the end of her hair loosely the way Chul has always liked it as she stares at his reflection through the mirror. "Did you ask me to move some of my clothes here early so you could find out what size am I wearing?"

He smiles. "Ah, you caught on."  

"Pft, that is so old fashion." Yeonjoo jokes.

Chul laughs. "I told you I like old-fashioned." 

He didn't say much on where they were going and Yeonjoo couldn't grasp why someone else had to be driving the car when they were just going for lunch and come back home. Chul could have drive by himself, not that it makes her feel uncomfortable but she feels bad for his staff who had to wait while they're eating. As the car pulled over, Yeonjoo noticed that it was the first restaurant they came together when Chul came to her world. He smiled and reached his hand out. Yeonjoo gladly took his hand. There were a few people around and Yeonjoo was so glad Chul didn't go as far as renting the whole place out, she would hate that a lot. She admits to be a really hopeless romantic but she definitely doesn't like someone doing a huge event just for her. 

It was nice to finally eat in peace without having to worry about Chul's hand disappearing or having to coming up with a plan on how to kill the killer. It was just nice to sit and eat and enjoy each other's presence and plus, they were starving too. 

"You took a week off, right?" Chul asked after swallowing his food.

Yeonjoo nods. "You said we'd be going to Hawaii immediately after the wedding so I took a week off but now that we're not going, I'll just make up for the sleep I lost throughout this whole week." 

Chul gives her a playful offended look. "Are you saying it's my fault?" 

She laughs and grimaces. "Yeah, it's your fault."

Chul only laughs at that and continues eating. He was starving, he didn't get to eat anything at all earlier this morning except drinking several glasses of water to calm his nerve and hunger down and he had to leave for the meeting immediately. 

He tried to initiated a conversation once in a while to see if Yeonjoo was still mad but she's never the type to hold grudge against something like that especially when it's his work. She could actually be worst than him, she might be call in all of sudden even if it's not her shift beacuse of an emergency and not even return home. 

Once they're done, Yeonjoo was so sure they'd be going back home and with Chul not returning to his company either, maybe they'd cuddle up and watch a movie together. That wouldn't be so bad also. However, the road they're on is definitely not the one back to their house. That, she's really sure of. She looks at Chul confusedly but he didn't say anything and instead just smile so smugly like he's so proud of something. Pft, this husband of hers. 

As the car pulls into a familar area, Chul could no longer holds his smile as Yeonjoo's jaw almost drops down to her feet. They're at an airport and she has no absolutely idea about it. Instead of being excited, Yeonjoo actually panicked a little on the inside because she completely unpacked her luggage and she had no necessary stuffs with her or whatsoever. Chul laughs and just pulls her hand along, inside his hand was their passports and Yeonjoo had no idea where did those passport suddenly appeared from either. 

"I've already asked them to pack for us. We only need to get on the plane and you only need to get the sleep you couldn't get these days once we boarded." Chul smiles and for once, Yeonjoo felt like hugging him right in the public. 

"I thought you said we couldn't go today?" She asked once they're walking through the VIP path leading to their private jet.

"I didn't say we couldn't go today. I said it looked like we couldn't leave as soon as our wedding is over." He smiles cheekily. 

Yeonjoo playfully gives him a glare but eventually breaks into a smile. There's still 10 minutes left before the plane take off so Yeonjoo decided to call her mom in case she might try to call her later that evening and get worried sick about her not picking up again. 

It does feel different to sit in a plane with someone else other than Doyoon, Chul thought. He sits in a plane with the woman he chooses and though he badly misses everyone back in his world, Chul was contented with just this particular woman beside him. Sometimes, you have to sacrifice something for something else. You can never have too many good things but his was a huge sacrifice in order to meet her, even if it's too harsh. 

An hour into the flight, Yeonjoo's head is comfortably resting on Chul's shoulder. She's sound asleep and Chul thought better than to wake her up. He decides to read through her list of activities she wanted to do in Hawaii and the locations she marked on where she wanted to visit. It didn't fail to bring a small smile on his face each time he picks out those stick notes but he still makes sure to study all of it and memorizes it by heart so everything could go smoothly.

The plane arrives at exactly 10PM, both Chul and Yeonjoo were deep asleep during half of the flight. When they were notified about their arrival, both of them were too tired to get excited about arriving in a different land, at least to Chul but Yeonjoo still couldn't deny the fluttering feeling inside her. It's Hawaii, her life-long dream. With the man she loved more than anything she had in her life.