Chapter Three

Just My Luck

 

 

Jimin had never been in a place that he felt uncomfortable even existing in, that is until now.

 

 

“Sir, would you like a drink?” A man dressed in a suit asked, his head bowed politely and his tone more formal than anyone Jimin ever spoke to before.

 

 

“Leave us,” Namjoon snapped at the servant, strolling into the threshold of the living room and grabbing Jimin by the wrist. Without waiting for the man to bow and leave, Namjoon brushed past him briskly and led Jimin up the stairs of what appeared to be his house.

 

 

Furrowing his eyebrow, Jimin yanked his wrist out of Namjoon’s grasp and stopped in the middle of a winding hallway, crossing his arms and glaring at Namjoon defiantly. “Why am I here?” He asked.

 

 

Namjoon sighed, but he didn’t turn to face him, leaving Jimin to admire the slope of his broad shoulders and the cut of his sleek suit. Not that he was looking.

 

 

“Jimin-ah, just follow me, I can’t exactly speak freely here.” Namjoon answered and he began walking ahead of Jimin.

 

 

Seeing no reason to hang back, Jimin slowly followed behind his senior until they reached the end of the hallway where a large door was located. Namjoon didn’t even break his stride as he opened the doors and walked into the room.

 

 

A little uncertain, Jimin followed, shutting the door behind him and taking a moment to gather in the details of the room. Like the rest of the house, it was immaculately clean, cold, and vaguely artistic. In short, it looked like a room that embodied old aristocracy in a western setting and Jimin mentally wondered what Namjoon’s family did if they made so much money.

 

 

Namjoon, who had disappeared around the corner of the room paused when he realized Jimin wasn’t behind him. Back tracking quickly, Namjoon went back to grab a gawking Jimin by the wrist and drag him further inside the room. “Will you pay attention? I have things to do and little time to spare.” He said as he rushed into the room and stopped before a floor to ceiling bookcase.

 

 

Jimin was going to say something, but Namjoon squinted at the bookcase and when his eyes fell on the spine of a leather bound and gold-leafed book, Namjoon reached out and pulled the volume off the shelf. The sound of wood knocking together came from behind the bookcase and Jimin was startled when the sturdy wood slid to the side, revealing a hidden room filled with antique furniture.

 

 

Namjoon frowned, “That makes more noise than I remember.” He muttered about fixing it later but Jimin was too busy feeling out of place. Namjoon had a mansion like house, enemies who wanted to kill him, and he had a secret room hidden behind an old bookcase. ‘This is definitely some James Bond reenactment.’

 

 

Wasting no more time, Namjoon ushered Jimin into the room and steered him into a single arm chair. Once that was done, he seated himself in an identical chair in front of Jimin’s and he finally seemed to relax as the bookcase door slid shut on its own.

 

 

Feeling lost, Jimin watched Namjoon pensively stare off into space. He wanted to ask if he was alright, but he paused and shook his head, it was best to just ask what happened earlier and then leave as soon as he could. He was sure that he could stay uninvolved if Namjoon wasn’t around, after all, the goons from earlier were chasing him alone. Jimin just happened to be caught up in it.

 

 

“So why exactly am I here, and what was that earlier?” Jimin asked.

 

 

Namjoon blinked, coming back to himself before he shook his head and seemed to wave off Jimin’s concern. “That was just Kim Seokjin, an unfortunate thorn in my side.”

 

 

Jimin pointed out that someone trying to kill him could hardly be considered a thorn in one’s side, but Namjoon wasn’t paying attention to him.

 

 

“Seokjin and I are arraigned to be married within a few months...” Namjoon paused and his expression twisted in disgust and he shuddered in horror. “But I can’t stand him! We’ve known each other since we were kids and he is like a brother to me, I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual for him.”

 

 

Jimin pushed aside the small twinge of hurt at Namjoon’s confession, Seokjin and he would make the perfect match. Instead, Jimin curled up in his seat and bit his lip in nervousness. “Wait, if you’re like brothers, why is he trying to kill you?” Jimin asked. It didn’t seem as if Seokjin cared at all for Namjoon, in fact he was cursing him the entire time they interacted earlier.

 

 

Namjoon sighed and slumped back in his seat. “The only way out of this engagement is through death,” he paused and gave Jimin a significant look. “Or through another marriage.”

 

 

Jimin froze and he was sure that his expression bordered on ridiculous. “What!? Death!?”

 

 

Namjoon didn’t even blink or hesitate in is answer. “Yes, death is often the only way out of a contract with my family.” He paused and he stood up from his chair, rushing to the other side of the room to begin rifling in the drawers of an old, magnificently lacquered wooden desk. “However, my father has seemed to overlook a few things within the wording of the contract, and after an hour of scouring,” Namjoon paused when he found what he was looking for and he gave a triumphant grin once he slammed a stack of thick papers on the surface of the desk, a light film of dust flitting through the air before Namjoon began talking again.

 

 

“I have found a loophole, and that is where you come into play, Jimin-ah.” Looking satisfied with himself, Namjoon plopped back into the seat across from Jimin and crossed his arms, his usual haughty expression melted away into one of excitement.

 

 

Still, Jimin had other things on his mind, such as—

 

 

“Are you propositioning me?”

 

 

Namjoon looked comically surprised for a moment, but then he threw his head back and laughed at Jimin’s words. “Absolutely not!” He managed to wheeze out before he dissolved into a fit of more laughter that made his face flush and tears gather in the corner of his eyes.

 

 

Huffing, Jimin crossed his arms and glared at the guffawing red head. “It’s a valid question! You keep mentioning this marriage business and then you choose to suddenly drag me home with you, what am I supposed to think?”

 

 

Namjoon had finally calmed down, though there was still a twinkle of amusement left in his eyes when he met Jimin’ gaze. “It is not exactly a proposition if I am merely claiming what already belongs to me.” He said the last part so calmly it almost was mistaken for a fact. Yet Jimin felt the steady flaring of indignation from earlier blazed into full blown anger.

 

 

“You don’t own me!” Jimin shouted, jumping up from his seat and clenching his fists as he fiercely glared down Namjoon, the man who’d been nothing but trouble since Jimin met him two years ago. “And there’s no way in hell I’m marrying you of all people!”

 

 

Namjoon actually had the audacity to tsk and shake his head at Jimin as if he were displeased with his reaction. “Jimin-ah, you have been mine since the day I let you follow me.” He stood up and pressed close to Jimin, leaning down into his personal space and nearly touching noses with Jimin. “And nothing you do will ever change that, you will be a Kim.”

 

 

Jimin felt his face heat up and he swore he almost saw red, who was Namjoon to claim him when he rejected him and shattered his heart a year ago! Namjoon was insufferable and Jimin was severely regretting ever liking him enough to confess to him in the first place.

 

 

“Now do you understand?” Namjoon asked, his lidded eyes meeting Jimin’s brown orbs, his calm façade back in place and his perceived win evident in the way he confidently held himself. As if the new Jimin didn’t have control of his temper any more than the old Jimin did.

 

 

The desire to wipe that smirk off Namjoon’s face was strong and before he could register what he was doing, Jimin’s body acted on reflex and he slapped Namjoon across the face.

 

 

The crack of it echoed in the room and Jimin and Namjoon both felt a sense of shock at the rapidly blooming red mark across Namjoon’s left cheekbone. Jimin’s palm was stinging and he could imagine that Namjoon was feeling it worse, and the petite male almost felt bad. Then of course, he remembered that the conceited bastard deserved it.

 

 

In fact, Jimin had never gotten him back for leaving for two years, for hurting him, for tricking Jimin into wasting his time following him—

 

 

Jimin’s eyebrow twitched and he shifted his stance; in fact, Namjoon needed a good solid kick to the groin, especially since he’d almost gotten Jimin killed earlier. Narrowing his eyes, Jimin braced his weight on the balls of his feet and he tensed for a small moment, his muscles recoiling and then loosening in preparation for a movement, and in one quick shift Jimin’s leg shot forward in a vicious attack.

 

 

However, instead of landing a direct attack, Jimin’s foot was caught and he was thrown off balance. Namjoon’s smirk swim before him and in one surprisingly simple move, Namjoon’s hand slid under Jimin’s knee. Taking of the advantage of the leverage he had, Namjoon used Jimin’s momentum against him and managed to hitch Jimin’s leg to the side of his hip, his other arm snaking out and wrapping around Jimin’s waist.

 

 

Stunned would be an understatement to what Jimin was feeling now, he was stopped by Namjoon and was now pressed flush against him, one leg off the ground and the position was so provocative that Jimin was blushing an insane red and his mind was slowly being lost to delirium. ‘Nonononono, this can’t happen! Too close oh my god!’

 

 

Raising a brow in question, Namjoon looked down at Jimin and briefly tightened his hold on the smaller male, drawing him out of his thoughts long enough to gloat in front of his face. “Are you done?”

 

 

As if another flip was switched, Jimin scowled and shoved at Namjoon’s admittedly strong and broad chest in an attempt to get the smug red head to let him go. No such luck, so Jimin settled for huffing as he tried wishing his glare could melt people when he looked back up and met Namjoon’s eyes.

 

 

“Fine! I’ll listen to what you have to say, just let me go,” Jimin muttered darkly, feeling the way he reacted to Namjoon and hating the fact that he really wanted to bury himself in his neck and let the older male hold him. It was annoying when Jimin wanted nothing more than to enjoy seething and causing bodily harm to Namjoon because of his damn smirk.

 

 

Speaking of, Namjoon’s lips curled up at the corners even more and Jimin resisted the urge to snap at how his face will get stuck that way. “But Jimin-ah, what if, I like having you-” He lifted Jimin’s leg higher on his hip and if possible, he even managed to draw Jimin so close to his front that they was not even air left between them. “-This close to me?”

 

 

His eyes were completely black now, the irises dark enough to blend into his pupils from this angle and Jimin was beyond flustered at this point, so he settled for his first reaction, squeaking in surprise.

 

 

The little sound had Namjoon pausing and his eyes widening a fraction and Jimin was so embarrassed at the noise and so flushed, he felt as if he were going to burst into flame at any time, in fact he wished for it. Nothing was more mortifying than being caught making little whimpers when he claimed to hate Namjoon, when he claimed to be touch, and when he claimed to want nothing to do with his old hyung.

 

 

Nothing was stopping Namjoon from humiliating Jimin again. He was helpless in his hold and Namjoon was aware of his feelings, which Jimin could now admit were there though he was planning on keeping them buried and locked in his heart forever. So bracing himself for the worst, Jimin shut his eyes and tensed unconsciously when Namjoon hummed thoughtfully, two years was long enough for someone to change and Namjoon was foreign and unpredictable to Jimin.

 

 

However, all thoughts flew from his mind when Namjoon suddenly let go of him and stepped back. With no balance, Jimin fell back into the chair he had jumped out of in a rage, his limbs somehow heavy and his mind caught in a daze from the sudden movement.

 

 

“Despite your front, it seems you have not changed at all, Jimin-ah.” Namjoon said and Jimin didn’t have to look up to know that he had the grin on his face that brought out his dimples. That same smile used to make Jimin’s day and have him floating around in a distracted haze for days on end.

 

 

Namjoon opened his mouth to say something else, but the door to the private study flew open and someone with thick black hair, round eyes, and fair skin few in. “Hyung! I—

 

 

“Jungguk!?” Jimin shouted incredulously, somehow finding the energy to twist in his chair and face the doorway to see the familiar male standing in Kim Namjoon’s home. “What are you doing here?”

 

 

Jungguk looked like a deer caught in the headlights, that is until Namjoon spoke up, his tone slightly cold and just a bit suspicious. “Do you know one another?”

 

 

Jungguk was a year younger than Jimin and he met the freshman outside the gates of school, the kid looking lost as he gazed up at the nice academy. They were friends since the day Jimin showed him around and introduced him to Taehyung (a mistake on his part, those two were insatiable in their quest for trouble). Jimin assumed Jungguk did nothing but lounge around at home or hang out with Taehyung after school.

 

 

“Yes hyung, we know each other.” Jungguk immediately answered, his eyes flickering to Namjoon and Jimin was almost jealous at the polite and respectful way he addressed Namjoon, then again Jimin was quickly finding that he didn’t know anyone as well as he thought. Taehyung was probably next and Jimin shuddered to think of all the things he could be hiding.

 

 

Namjoon’s face remained blank, but he crossed his arms and his eyes never wavered from Jungguk, who gulped a little under his gaze and Jimin was surprised to see that the boy who shot up like a weed practically wilt under that heavy stare. “And how exactly did you two meet?”

 

 

Jungguk looked as if he were having trouble forming words, so Jimin spoke up, his words a little more scathing than he intended them to be. “Not that it’s any of your business, but we go to school together.” Jimin finial tore his eyes away from Jungguk and he found himself glaring up at Namjoon once again. “You know, the school you dropped out of.”

 

 

Namjoon scoffed in offense, his posture finally relaxing and his attention shifting from Jungguk to Jimin. “I didn’t drop out, I merely graduated early.”

 

 

Jimin hummed in disbelief, choosing to purposely poke at Namjoon’s buttons to annoy him, it would be justified for all the times Namjoon had riled him up that day. “Right, as if I’d believe that the one trouble maker in school was capable of skipping a year.”

 

 

Namjoon frowned, but there was a glint in his eyes that Jimin knew came with something that used to signal trouble. “So you say, but aren’t you just feeling spiteful because you spend all your spare time studying to maintain a B average at best.”

 

 

Jimin bristled, “I’m a straight A student you ignorant brute!” Despite never cracking open a textbook in all his school days, Namjoon always managed to pick up things in class quickly and his perfect memory was near machine like. Even old saintly Jimin would feel irritated, at least until Namjoon sat him down and tutored him, sitting so close that Jimin could practically feel the deep rumble of his voice as he guided him the more difficult problems on his homework.

 

 

A fake cough coming from the doorway reminded Jimin and Namjoon that Jungguk was still standing in the doorway. He looked ready to burst with questions and while the sight would have usually made Jimin want to keep silent just to , Namjoon took the moment to interrupt.

 

 

“Jungguk, is there a particular reason you’re here?” He asked, his cool demeanor back on. It was different from the way he was two years ago and while Jimin might not like him at the moment, he much preferred the Namjoon that was a teasing than this.

 

 

The raven haired boy immediately composed himself and he nodded, Jimin could almost imagine him saluting to Namjoon. “R-right. Hyung, da- Mr. Kim wants to see you in his room. I think he got a call from Silbeo-Mun about a disturbance this afternoon…” Jungguk trailed off when Namjoon brushed past him without sparing him or Jimin a second glance.

 

 

Silence fell upon the room and Jimin sighed. ‘I really wish I had stayed in bed today, a whole day of sleep would have been awesome.’ He thought wryly, almost feeling a headache come on. After feeling a whirlwind of emotions and nearly being killed, Jimin was more than ready to fall into his bed and pretend that everything was a dream and that he could just walk into school tomorrow without remembering that Namjoon was back in his life.

 

 

A poke drew Jimin from his thoughts and he almost yelped and fell to the floor when his vision was blocked by Jungguk’s disturbingly wide eyes. “Hey Jiminnie hyung, how do you know Namjoon hyung? Huh? Are you in the gang too?”

 

 

Jimin blinked at Jungguk, “Gang? What are you talking about?” He asked, noticing how Jungguk rolled his eyes and huffed at him.

 

 

“Hyung, you seriously can’t expect me to believe that you don’t know what the Kim’s do for a living,” Jungguk then leaned closer to Jimin and he used his rounded eyes to his advantage, playing up the begging puppy dog expression. “Hyung, tell me, how do you know Namjoon hyung?”

 

 

Ignoring his question, Jimin reeled in shock. A gang. Namjoon was in a gang, his family owned a gang. ‘It all makes sense, why didn’t I notice earlier!?’ Jimin wailed in his mind. ‘What the hell has that smirking fiend gotten me into!?!’

 

 

“Fine, if you won’t tell me, I’ll find out from Taehyung,” Jungguk chirped and before Jimin could grab him and question how he got mixed up with someone as shady as Namjoon, he was out the door and

 

 

Jimin whined and let his head fall into his hands in despair, though when his face made contact with the still sensitive skin of his palm, Jimin hissed in discomfort and then sulkily damned the root of his problems.

 

 

“Go to hell Kim Namjoon!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Wow, its been a long time since I last updated -.-

Anyway, if you enjoyed reading, please comment! (Show MinJoon some luv <3)