Brewing Coffee

Cupcakes and Coffee

“Come on, hyung! Just ask him out on a date already!” Taehyung complained over the counter. It was the middle of the day and at this particular time, there is always a lull in the surge of customers coming in their little cafe.

 

“I don’t pay you so you can slack off and pester me to go on dates I don’t even plan on asking.” Minseok answered, pointedly not looking at Taehyung or he won’t be able to keep the stern older brother tone. Taehyung is too cute for his own good and the younger Kim don’t need any more proof on how effective his pouting face is.

 

“I’m not slacking off, boss.” Taehyung stuck his tongue out in a very childish way before walking off with cool confident strides to welcome the two young ladies who just entered the cafe. It was amazing really, how Taehyung can switch gears in an instant, reserving his cute and childish image to family and close friends and…

 

“Are you free this afternoon? I know a good place where we can--”

 

“I’m sorry. But I’m the only waiter on duty today so I’m afraid I would have to decline.” He smiled at them before walking back to the counter to tell Minseok the order. Afterwards, he walked behind the counter to help with anything.

 

Minseok glanced over to the two females whose gaze were fix on how Taehyung rolled the sleeves of his shirt and the squeal they let out was anything but quiet. Looks like they’ll have two more regulars starting today. He let out a sigh before he went to grab the cups for the drinks.

 

“Hm?” Taehyung tilted his head a bit lower to match Minseok’s eye level, having have to do so because of his older brother’s shorter height. An unconscious pout already on his lips along with slightly widened eyes and a raised eyebrow to indicate an unspoken question.

 

Another sigh passed Minseok’s lips, “You’ll stay as hyung’s cute baby brother, right?”

 

“What the hell are you talking about, hyung?”

 

“You’re not allowed to be this cute in front of anyone else, okay?”

 

“Go and get yourself a boyfriend.” He made a face at Minseok before grabbing the tray of drinks and walking gracefully to the table of the two girls who were obviously going gaga over the gorgeous waiter. His smile was small and reserved, giving him that cool mature image, instead of the cute  child-like toothy grin he usually has around Minseok.

 

“Back to the topic. Go and ask him out already!” Taehyung whined at his older brother the moment the two girls finally left the cafe.

“Why should I?” Minseok asked defensively. They’ve had this conversation on multiple occasions and they always tend to go around in circles, with Taehyung pestering him to just go and ask for a date, to Minseok asking why should he even bother.

 

“Because you freaking like him!” Taehyung all but whined.

 

“I need receipts for that claim.” Minseok answered. It was usually enough to shut Taehyung up, but it looks like his little brother wasn’t persistent today for nothing.

 

“Ahhah! I was waiting for you to tell me that.” Before Minseok can even process what Taehyung meant by that, the tall waiter already disappeared to the back of the shop and when he came back, he was already holding his hand phone. Minseok made everyone leave their phones at the back to let their staff focus on work, of course that includes himself and Taehyung.

 

“Exhibit A! I always said that you put an extra shot of espresso on his drinks in the mornings when he looks like death is looming above his head but you always, always deny it. So now I have proof. You put this amount normally.” Taehyung showed a photo of how much espresso he out on morning drinks, then his finger swiped the screen to show a mug with relatively more contents than the last picture. “And this was his cup of coffee earlier.”

 

Minseok can’t believe his brother would really collect proof like this.

 

“Exhibit B! You put extra caramel on his caramel macchiatto after I accidentally put too much caramel on his drink before and he said he liked that particular cup.” Then he showed a picture of the drink Minseok served just this lunch and it does have more caramel than the normal order.

 

“Exhibit C! You still keep the wrapper of the very first cupcake he gave you after their bakery opened last year.” At this, Minseok turned into a deep red because, how the hell did Taehyung found that little pouch he kept hidden way back his drawer?!

 

“Should I continue? Or should I stop before you turn into a tomato?” Taehyung asked with a prud grin on his face, knowing full well that he finally won this round. True It had been hard looking for the wrapper but he just knew that his brother had kept it. It was just so Minseok to be that sentimental and stuff.

 

“Ugh… What do you want from me, you demon?”

 

“Ask him out on a date already!”

 

“Okay, so what if I do like him? This is just an if, okay? I’m not saying I do like him…”

 

“You’re so stubborn!”

 

“Shut it, Tae! How should I ask him then?”

 

Taehyung wasn’t ready to let the subject go, because his hyung had been denying his little crush on the baker just across the street for close to a year now. But Minseok had looked outright desperate about his next step, so Taehyung conceded. He’ll be a nice little brother this time.

 

“Okay, I’m sure you know that he always orders a drink before they start their evening preparation, right?” Taehyung asked him, watching in amusement with how much Minseok was paying attention to what he was saying. He can’t believe his older brother is finally listening to him after trying to convince him to do this for such a long time.

 

“And both your day off is on a Wednesday, which is tomorrow. So why don’t you ask him to go, I don’t know, to the amusement park?”

 

“Tae~ We’re both grown men! What makes you think he’ll want to go to the amusement park?” Minseok complained, whining like he’s the younger of the two of them, which wasn’t hard to believe actually given his shorter height and young appearance.

 

“Because I know he likes you as much as you like him.” he stated simply. Anyone who have seen them will know immediately that the feeling is mutual. Just their luck that both of them seem, if not oblivious, then completely stubborn.

 

“You can’t possibly know that, Tae~” Minseok complained again.

 

“Okay, maybe not for sure, but at least make him an extra large serving of the new menu? You know his favorite right?”

 

~*~

 

This is a bad idea. This is a really bad idea. Why the hell did he even listen to Taehyung about this? Why the hell is he preparing an extra large serving of Caramel Waffle Cone Créme Frappuccino while rehearsing what he’ll say in just a few minutes?

 

Minseok looked at his side and saw Taehyung busy with whatever it was that he’s preparing. Honestly, he can’t think much anyway. His whole mind is already blanking out and he’s not even--

 

“Hyung, they’re here. I’ll run interference with Seokjin-hyung outside so you two can talk alone.”

 

With just that, Taehyung was out the counter and out of Minseok’s sight. He didn’t dare follow Taehyung until he was out, knowing full well that if Seokjin is already there, then the main person for today is also here.

 

He tried to take one more deep breath before grabbing the tall cup of frappuccino complete with whipped cream and extra caramel. His mind was totally blanking out, the only thing he can remember is the sentence “Do you mind going out with me to the amusement park tomorrow?” He had already forgotten what comes after that honestly. Like what time they should meet, or where they should meet.

 

He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts that when he finally turned with the full cup of cold drink, the next thing Minseok saw was white… white with caramel and whipped cream… dripping and---

 

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry! Oh my god! Your clothes!”

 

The entire contents of the cup was distributed on the pure white baker’s uniform and the floor. The cup already rolling on the puddle of frappuccino or what once was a frappuccino.

 

Minseok was losing it. He was panicking. Not only did he fail it big time. He actually spilled the entire drink on---

 

“Minseok, are you okay?”

 

That got him to calm down a little. Because he asked him if he was okay. Because even if there is caramel and whipped cream still on his clothes, Luhan asked him if he was okay. And Luhan, Luhan looked so good in his white baker’s uniform, even with the stain Minseok created. And Luhan looked so hot with his messy hair that was trapped all day in a hairnet. And Luhan just looked so nice and really worried.

 

“I-- I’m fine.” he answered, breaking the eye contact and looking back on the obvious stain on Luhan’s clothes. “Your clothes!”

 

“It’s fine. I’ll be changing after this anyway. First of all, are you okay? It’s so unlike you to be distracted.” Luhan asked again, stopping Minseok’s hands from fussing over his soiled clothes.

 

“I’m fine. Really. I just had something on my mind.” Which wasn’t a lie. But there is no way Minseok will be able to ask Luhan out now. Not when he just served him an extra large frappuccino surprise.

 

“Are you sure?” Luhan asked again.

 

“Yeah. I’m fine. Anyway, uhm… do you still want to order?”

 

“I think you have enough trouble in your hands with cleaning this up and preparing this drink again for whoever ordered it, so I’ll pass today.”

 

Minseok wanted to argue that there was no need to prepare the drink again for “whoever ordered it” because he prepared it for Luhan. But he can’t say that. What will he say next? That he was planning to ask him out? Yeah, good luck on him on how well that will turn out after what happened. So Minseok just nodded and said a timid “Okay, then. It’s my treat next time.”

 

Luhan left, with his stained clothes. As he went out, Taehyung came back in with that cute goofy grin of his.

 

“Did Luhan-hyung spilled the drink because he was too shocked that you asked him out first?” Taehyung teased.

 

“Ugh! Shut up, Tae!” Minseok whined.

 

He turned back to grab the mop to clean the evidence of his failed attempt at asking Luhan out when he finally saw the remnants of the drink Taehyung was preparing earlier with him.

 

“Why did you make a Strawberry Créme Frappuccino?” Minseok asked.

 

Taehyung still looked like a kid with his goofy grin when he answered, “I gave it to Seokjin-hyung. Remember? I ran interference for you. As thanks for the drink, he said he’ll treat me to the movies tomorrow.”

 

Minseok just planted his face on the counter and huffed, while Taehyung just stared at him in confusion before grabbing the mop himself to clean the spilled drink he still had no idea how it ended up on the floor.

 

----------------------------------------

 

Akira: You see, when I started this idea, I planned for this to be a oneshot... Now my mind had created a fiveshot... Hahahahahaha (huhuhu)

 

*Uncheck oneshot

*Uncheck completed

 

I fail at short stories! How to write a short story?! How to write a oneshot?! Teach me!