Jinyoung: Seraphim

Unto My Rest

A/N: As promised, I'm back very quickly with a multi-chap fic! This was a request from user yadame who wanted a story with Angel!Jinyoung and Demon!Mark. This is actually my first time doing a supernatural AU, so I hope you all enjoy it. The chapters will be shorter than my usual monstrosities, so I'll most likely be updating with more frequency than the bi-weekly updates I had for If Not Right Now. Also, if you have any GOT7 questions for me during the story, don't forget you can drop me an ask, and I'll try and get back to you! Enjoy~ 

 

1. Jinyoung: Seraphim

 

A long blade of grass tickled Jinyoung's nose, waking him up from his rest in the fields. His body felt stiff as he slowly picked himself off the ground. It was hard learning to sleep with wings. Divine bodies required different positioning from human bodies for pretty much every activity he'd used to do with ease. Sleeping? Wings. Dressing? Wings. Hugging someone? Double wings. Cleaning? 40% the rest of your body, 60% wings.

 

And then there was the business of sleeping outside. There was only one building in the Elysian Fields, and that was the palace, the seat of The Divine One and his council, the Ace. Everyone else lived in harmony outside, where it never rained nor snowed nor was anything less than the perfect degree of warmness. It was always the pretty morning hours of the day in the Elysian Fields to boot. Since time didn't really matter, why bother going through the arduous task of bringing about night after so many hours had passed? Besides, sunshine and fair weather were better for the eternal soul according to the Ace. The Fields were the textbook definition of paradise, and the Seraphim were fortunate to call it home.

 

At least that's what Jinyoung had thought at the beginning. Now he wondered why so many people chose to pass on rather than stay if it was so great. It was supposed to be a big deal that they could choose for themselves. When one made it to Heaven, either after an extended sentence in Limbo or directly after their death if they were a good enough person, they were given a thorough tour of the Elysian Fields in all their splendor, and shown all the eternal happiness and contentment they could enjoy in the safety of Heaven. At the tour's end, two options were presented to them: live eternally in the Fields as Seraphim under the rule of The Divine One, or be reborn again and give being a human another shot.

 

Most of the former residents of Limbo chose to pass on. After so much time already spent in the afterlife, they were generally bored and eager to get out. They knew what the people who went straight to Heaven like Jinyoung didn't—that life after life was just as structured and controlled as human life was.

 

Sure enough, Jinyoung had been completely tempted by the golden plains, sparkling waters, and ripe fruits of the Elysian Fields. He hadn't had a very illustrious life as a human and had died young, so he wasn't really in any hurry to go back to Earth. Besides, he was touched that The Divine One was generous enough to let them choose to do what they wanted with their fortune in the afterlife. After all, the people who weren't fit for Limbo or Heaven went straight to Hell, where there was zero chance for redemption. They all became demons, and that was that.

 

So Jinyoung had decided to stay in Heaven and become a Seraph, complete with white, downy soft wings and an irresistible urge to sing in chorus with his fellow angels when he wasn't busy on official work. And that was the catch of staying in Heaven—official work. It wasn't day after day of relaxing in pretty gardens and watching the world below them benevolently. What the Ace didn't tell you when they offered you your choice was that someone had to manage the flow of souls traveling to the afterworld, and the accord between Heaven, Hell, and Limbo said it had to be a team effort between the three. Which meant Seraphs, Demonkin, and whoever was currently the Median spent a good portion of their afterlife shepherding souls to their proper realms and dealing with petty disputes over which souls should go where.

 

As a newer Seraph, Jinyoung had had it easy so far. His “boss” in the Ace assigned him to give tours of the Elysian Fields to souls fresh from death, souls who, like him, had never had to serve in Limbo. They were all good people who were simply in awe of how pretty death was, and were easy to handle as a general rule. Jinyoung still had plenty of hours to himself to fly around paradise and nap in the fields at his leisure.

 

If only all of it hadn't gotten so mind numbingly boring after the first few years.

 

Jinyoung unfurled his wings and lifted himself off the ground. The Fields were strangely empty; he wondered if he'd missed some kind of mass summoning to the palace while he was dozing. He was tempted to hide himself back in the tall grass from his boss in case she was looking for him, but decided a few extra minutes of freedom weren't worth the resulting punishment.

 

He flew to the palace and dropped down into the 3rd courtyard where his boss held court. Yunaria was seated upon her white throne, glancing over a stack of papers she held in her lap.

 

She looked up when Jinyoung descended into the room. “There you are,” she said in a testy voice. “What took you so long? Everyone else reported in ages ago and was present for the official briefing. You're the only one who's not up on what's happening.”

 

“Sorry,” Jinyoung said. “What is happening?”

 

“I don't have time to get into it. You're late, and if you wait any longer, some demon will snap up the soul you've been assigned to. Since you're the last one here, you've got a particularly terrible assignment on top of it.” She the papers in her hand into Jinyoung's. “Here. The Median will brief you once you reach Limbo.”

 

Jinyoung stared at her. “I've never had anything to do with shepherding souls from Limbo.”

 

“Well, there's a first time for everything. We're short handed, and there was just a mass death on Earth. You're going to need to take responsibility for your duties as Seraph.”

 

“And why did you mention something about a demon snapping up a soul I've been assigned to? Why would a demon want a soul assigned to Heaven?”

 

Yunaria gave him a troubled look. “This one's outside of my jurisdiction, okay? The Divine One says the demons of Hell have been taking far more souls than us, which is giving The Corrupted One a big head over evil beating goodness on the Earth. The Divine One is convinced The Corrupted One is unfairly taking souls that belong to us to make this so. All you need to know is that The Divine One thinks the soul in the file you're holding should go to Heaven, and a Demonkin is going to argue it belongs in Hell. Your job is to make sure we get it by arguing your case to the Median. It shouldn't be difficult.”

 

“Oh, yeah, not difficult at all,” Jinyoung said sarcastically.

 

“That's not the kind of attitude that belongs in Heaven,” Yunaria said sternly. “Weren't you the soul whose parents sent him off like a prince even when he was wasting away in death? You should be a lot more noble than you actually are.”

 

Jinyoung felt his skin growing cold. He didn't talk about that; he didn't even like to think about it. Why did they have to bring it up all the time as if it was the happiest thing that had ever happened to him?

 

“Anyways, get to it,” Yunaria said, giving him a gentle tap. “Just so you know, The Divine One isn't accepting failure on this one. You're not coming back until you have that soul with you. Remember, Heaven's counting on your success.”

 

Jinyoung wanted to keep protesting, but he didn't see how he was going to get out of it. Taking a deep breath, he held the file close to his chest and unfurled his wings.

 


 

Jinyoung had no memories of Limbo. All souls technically passed through it at one point, but those with a destination of Heaven or Hell only spent the disorienting first few moments of their afterlife there before being shepherded to where they were actually supposed to go. Jinyoung had always imagined it being kind of gray and grimy and even more in-your-face boring than the Elysian Fields, but it was actually a pretty nicely arranged place when he arrived.

 

Limbo was the afterlife's bureaucratic center. Its leader was elected from its residents and named “the Median” in honor of Limbo's location at the halfway point between Heaven and Hell. The Median and his or her underlings were in charge of keeping meticulous records of who passed into the afterlife, how they had died, where they were supposed to go, whether they became a demon or angel or passed on, and how long their sentences were if they had to stay in Limbo. The afterlife had its own strict set of rules and behavior, and Limbo was responsible for making sure that the higher (and lower) powers had all the records they needed. Since multiple people were born and died every minute, their work was literally never done.

 

In accordance with its nature as a record center, Limbo's hub was a room encircled with towering bookcases filled to capacity with their unending records. Rows upon rows of long tables filled the ground floor, where those serving their sentences scribbled away unceasingly. The only other Limobites who had any freedom to get up and do something else were the Median's assistants who were responsible for shelving, error checking, research, and special assignments. Two times a day, the Median was supposed to blow a whistle signaling a ten minute break for the workers, but that was the only time anyone rested.

 

The Median himself took care of almost every other duty—greeting guests, making sure the souls that passed through were with their correctly assigned parties, and serving as ambassador to both Heaven and Hell. He was also the first person who woke up the deceased and let them know where they were, though most were too drowsy to remember him unless they were actually staying in Limbo. Jinyoung wouldn't have recognized this Median, anyways. He was relatively new, replacing a Median who had recently finished his sentence, gone up to Heaven, and chosen to be reborn into a new, less paperwork filled life.

 

The Median greeted Jinyoung in the building's open air reception hall. “I thought another Heaven and Hell delegation would be here soon, considering there's one more soul left in contention,” he said instead of introducing himself. “It seems like your demon counterpart is also running late.”

 

“I'm here now,” a soft voice came from behind Jinyoung. Jinyoung felt his feathers quake in response. He'd never actually seen a demon before, and he wasn't excited to have the opportunity now. The Ace insisted that demons had darkness leaking off their entire being, and if Seraphim spent too much time in their presence, they'd be affected by the darkness and fall from grace straight down into Hell.

 

Jinyoung turned slowly to look at the figure behind him. Afterworlders kept the physical appearance of the age in which they died (though any deformities or severe signs of age were kindly smoothed out if the soul requested), and the demon looked to be about Jinyoung's age. He was a slight bit shorter than Jinyoung with bleached blonde hair, several piercings, and a serious expression. He was dressed from head to toe in black, broken up only by a chain of silver around his neck. Like Jinyoung, he had wings, but his were as corrupted as the rest of him—pure black and leathery, like dragon wings.

 

At least his eyes weren't like Jinyoung had been expecting. They were dark brown rather than red, and framed by long lashes.

 

The demon gave Jinyoung a brief nod before turning back to the Median. “What's the deal with the soul, Your Medianship?” he asked.

 

The Median wrinkled his nose. “None of that. If you don't mind, I still like to be called by my human name, Youngjae.”

 

“But you're one of the three highest ranking beings in the afterlife,” Jinyoung pointed out.

 

“I guess if you're not going to call me by my preferred name, I'll just call you 'Your Magnificence' and the demon guy 'Your Malevolence,'” the Meridan said with a tragic sigh.

 

“Youngjae it is, then,” Jinyoung said.

 

“Glad we have that settled. Now, have either of you latecomers read your file?”

 

Both Jinyoung and the demon shook their heads.

 

“Of course they'd send me slackers for this particular case. Anyways, in short: the reason why the other demons and angels came here was because there was a mass death in your country of origin. There was a religious sect who claimed that the end times and a nuclear holocaust were incoming, and that everyone was better off dying by purifying fire than by nuclear weapons. They gassed a number of houses then torched them, and since the areas they targeted were remote, it was difficult for emergency responders to save everyone who was targeted. Hundreds of people died.”

 

Jinyoung wasn't Seraphim to the extent where he felt indifferent to the pain and suffering of humans. Tears were pricking his eyes which he had to hastily brush away. What a horrible way to die.

 

“Unfortunately, The Divine One and The Corrupted One are being idiots and fighting with each other over every soul, including the ones who should go straight to me,” Youngjae said. “Which is the exact case with this particular soul. Please consult your files.”

 

Jinyoung opened the file to the information sent from Limbo and stamped as received with a giant red A.o.A from the Ace. The soul in question was named Im Jaebum. He'd rescued a pair of twin sisters from a burning house and had died from smoke inhalation.

 

“So, if he died a hero, that means he should be going to heaven,” Jinyoung said.

 

“It says right here that he's been involved with some pretty bad things,” the demon pointed out at the bottom of the paper. “Theft, consorting with gangs, dealing in contraband...”

 

“Which,” Youngjae said, “is exactly why he should be in the Limbo. He did a really great thing saving those girls, so there's no place for him in Hell. But he didn't lead a very good life by The Divine One's standards, so he's no candidate for an express ticket to Heaven.”

 

Jinyoung bit his lips. “But the Ace says I can't return to Heaven until I bring that soul with me.”

 

“That's funny,” the demon butted in. “Because the Hyde Club says I'm not allowed back in Hell until I bring that soul with me, too.”

 

“Well,” Youngjae said with a wide smile. “I sure hope the two of you like Limbo, since you're going to be waiting here a nice, long time. You demons and angels have stolen too many souls from me today, and you're not getting this one even if I have personally chain you to one of the tables until his one hundred year sentence is served. Im Jaebum is staying in Limbo. And if that means the two of you are too, then so be it.”