Final

나의 옛날이야기
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Un-beta'ed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The land was swathed with wheat ready to harvest spread on miles, rose and fell like golden ocean waves adding to the backdrop of clear blue sky without a cloud in sight and the green hills passing in the background offered a unique and breathtaking parade to the passengers sitting by the train window. 

Among them, one person in particular didn't show any sign of interest in the picturesque view, too preoccupied and lost in his own thoughts. 

Contrasting those soft and delicate features, a serious almost sinister expression was dotting on his face. 

Saying he was nervous was an understatement, Jeonghan checking his watch every two seconds, counting down the seconds until the arrival of their destination

it took him a superhuman amount of will power to suppress the urge to bite his nails, 

Even after the endless late night phone calls with Seungkwan and Seokmin trying to reason with him, going back to Daegu with Seungcheol for Chuseok has escalated quickly as the number one bad idea in his mind. 

"Relax" a hand gently rested down onto his own and softly traced circle in his palm as an attempt soothing his agitation "I swear my parents won't eat you"

"But I am your first boyfriend, they will definitely think I am the one that turned their son gay" the younger let out a whine almost like a groan, before burring his face the crook of his boyfriend's neck. 

"This is not technically false though" chuckled the raven haired male with a playful wink pinching his cheek "but on the side note, who wouldn't be for you? My pretty angel."

"Stop flirting, I am too stressed for that!" Jeonghan swapped his wandering hand away and hit the latter in the chest before staring back at his watch.

"Seriously, they might not be as open minded as yours, but I promise they won't be difficult ok?"

Though they have had this conversation more than once, the long haired male couldn't but find it skeptical to believe, yet said nothing in return, trying to repress the urge to empty the content of his stomach any second now if it continues on.

 

They arrived around half an hour later, and as they descended from the taxi, Jeonghan's hand automatically linked unto Seungcheol's arm as his life depend on it digging his fingernails into his boyfriend's jacket sleeve. 

Standing in front of a two-stories brick house with a small garden planted in the front carefully maintained, his pace slowed down as each step he took to a point that Seungcheol has to literally drag him by the arm to reach the entrance.

The ringing of the doorbell sounded like an alarm warning him there is no going back from there on and soon the door swung open way faster than Jeonghan would like it to be.

A woman in her late forties, beauty not diminishing with age, let out a happy yelp and offered both of them warm hug welcomed them in. 

Next to her loomed a man with thin glass and a beard whose sharp gaze reminding him of Seungcheol's when he's upset, 

Jeonghan almost bite his tongue to the process formulate a greeting under that menacing glare feeling his teeth clacking together uncontrollably. 

He then reached a colorful paper bag hesitantly towards the woman of the house and smiled timidly:

"I brought some songpyeon and rice wine, it isn't much but please enjoy it" to which the host thanked him before disappearing to the kitchen after directing the three of them to the living room. 

Seungcheol pulled him to a seat on the cushion next to his on a low table as his father sat down right in front of him, crossing his legs.

There was a short moment of silence in which Jeonghan debated whether it was expected of him to speak first but soon Mr.Choi started:

"So how long have you two been together?"

"For about two years now, sir." Jeonghan replied politely, sitting straight like a straw and trying to control his voice from stuttering. 

"You are in art school as Seungcheol mentioned?"

"Yes, sir" answered Jeonghan and added "In studio art design" to which the old man nodded knowingly.

Mrs.Choi came back in that moment with serving them each a cup of tea before settling down next to her husband. 

"You see, Seungcheol spoke highly of you" those might have seemed like a praise yet before his heart could rejoice, Mr.Choi continued on "But I don't believe in people that easily like he does, Seungcheol has always been too naive for his own good."

"Dad, I am a grown up man" protested the raven male whose words were immediately shut back by a glare from his father.

"We have heard stories about your big city Seoul people and I have been there a few times myself. You people have all kinds of particular ways to...play around"

Jeonghan's head is now hanging low at Mr.Choi's serious tone:

"If Seungcheol is just a passing fling that you feel you can replace him, please, my son is not the one for you. He's just a kid from Daegu that doesn't know enough yet of the world and we are just an ordinary family that want to live a peaceful life. Me and his mother wish Seungcheol nothing more but the simple happiness of a normal life of getting an alright job, marrying a woman and having a few children like everyone else." his speech was tinted with so much more emotion sounding almost like a pleading "We are begging you as a parent to consider giving our son the possibility of living a life without being pointed fingers at behind his back and consider it for yourself as well, both of you are still young to understand how it is not worth losing the chance of living a normal life for a foolish momentary spark-"

"You are wrong sir, I don't want to be rude, but this is not true" Jeonghan took a deep breath and stared Mr.Choi back, not breaking eye contact for once and enunciated "It is not a foolish momentary spark"

All three of the Chois were slightly startled by the sudden rise in the latter's voice yet Jeonghan didn't seem to notice and persisted on:

"I am aware our relationship under current society is not the viewed as the best, and Seungcheol and I are conscientious that we will face a lot of obstacles of in the future, but the world is changing and so are people's point of view. Yes, we might never get married in Korea in short-term and gave birth to our children, but we can have our wedding overseas and adopt a child that we'll love as our own. Most importantly, no matter how many difficulties we face in the future, no matter how people would mock us, as long as we are together, as long as we love each other, we will make it through. Yes, I wouldn't know what I lost for giving up living a normal life married to a woman, not being judged, but what I do know is a life without Seungcheol is not a life worth living."

Jeonghan always been the reserved one in their relationship, never vocalize his love as openly as he does, but hearing him so determined about their future, Seungcheol couldn't help but trace up a grin on his lips and awestruck how stunning the latter looked with fortitude shimmering in his light brown orbs making him incredibly warm inside.  

This reminded him of the time that Jeonghan fearlessly confronted the homophobic comments that his classmate purposely slipped in front of them and the trembling of his shoulder as he cried the whole night when the school discovered their relationship and his department chair had a "discussion" putting the possibly of withdrawing his master application on the line yet still refused to let go of him.

It is silly, the feeling of them against the world that is only heard in songs suddenly became their reality. 

The stridency of the chair moving next to him pulled Seungcheol out of his thoughts as his eyes land on Jeonghan standing up and bowing down, his head almost touching the table:

"Please, I am begging you as well, give us a chance to prove you that we can have an as happy life as any other couples."

Mr.Choi still stared at them with his sharp gaze behind the spectacles, and after what Jeonghan felt like a century, let out a long sigh before turning to Mrs.Choi and asking: "Is dinner ready?"

Before Mrs.Choi could reply, a growling sound resonated loudly in the room as Jeonghan’s face turned bright red and wanted to burry himself in the ground. When would his stomach stop growling when he is stressed!

But fortunately, his mother giggled: "It will be ready in a minute, Jeonghan and Seungcheol can you help me carry the plates?"

During the dinner, tensely sitting on the edge of his chair in the still awkward atmosphere, Jeonghan remained silent through the whole meal only to answer questions when directed towards him, mostly listening to Seungcheol and his mom exchanging different news about their other family members and focused on finishing the pieces of meat or vegetable that Mrs.Choi kept on adding on his bowl. 

 

After some more chatting in the salon over more tea and fruits that Mrs.Choi insisted on feeding Jeonghan, when they were finally given the green light to leave to Seungcheol's room, as soon as the door closed, Jeonghan jumped unto the bed and buried his face into the pillow let out soft complaining cry. 

"See, you didn't die, right?" chuckled Seungcheol sitting down beside him playing with a few of the younger's golden strands, 

"Barely" replied the latter voice muffled by the cushion. 

Once he felt he has whined long enough, Jeonghan sat up and let his gaze wandering around the room scanning the white walls decorated with posters showcasing some Korean and foreign football players that Jeonghan couldn't name. It wasn't hard to deduce from the yellowed corners they must have been pinned up for quite some time. On his desk, a tower of CD was neatly stacked in a rack (probably Mrs.Choi's work considering Seungcheol's messy habits that he has long witnessed once they moved in together) next to what resembles a lamp from the 90s. A few shirts printed with various band names that used to be everyone's favorite were hanging in the closet next to an array of snapbacks. The only things that looks relative new were the books on the small shelf, they looked so clean almost untouched and triggered a small smile on Jeonghan's lips thinking about how Seungcheol's lack of interest in reading has never changed.

His eyes then landed on the few plushies were spreading next to him on the lavender blue sheets. 

Jeonghan picked one of them and asked side-eyeing the male next to him:

"Pororo? Seriously?" 

"Hey, don't judge Pororo" sulked Seungcheol snatching it back before following Jeonghan's gaze "I haven't changed anything in this room since high school. Looks pretty outdated doesn't it?"

The younger shook his head and smiled to himself "It is nice to see where you grew up from."

"Awn, you love me that much that you want to learn about my past?" smirked Seungcheol crooking a brow

"I just want to know where you learnt your greasiness from." scoffed Jeonghan, yet he'd soon take it back when Seungcheol attack his waist with tickling as he pleaded for mercy in between hysterical giggle and gasps of breath, blond strands flying wildly around his face. 

 

Feeling a lot more refreshed the next morning after a good night of sleep and finally being able to let his guards down a little knowing the worst has past, 

Jeonghan's confidence was slowly coming back as he cheerfully greeted Mrs.Choi sitting alone in the kitchen table as Mr.Choi was nowhere to be seen (to his relief) as she mentioned the old man left early to go fishing with a few friends.   

After breakfast, Mrs.Choi suggested to Seungcheol to give Jeonghan a tour around their neighborhood as long as they get back before dinner. 

When asked about where he wanted to go, Jeonghan simply shrugged and told Seungcheol to impress him.

The latter flashed him a sly grin squinting his eyes murmuring "You won't be disappointed!"

Since it was early in the morning with no sight of people in the streets, for once they could hold hands freely without worrying about others' gaze. 

A few steps into the dirt road

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter