[1/1]

It Can Be Yours Too

 

It Can Be Yours Too

 

 

Jongin watches as the screen signifies the recognition of his student card, then hovers his pointer finger on a particular drink on the display chamber, before pushing it. The box of drink is then pushed forwards until it falls into the takeout port.

 

As he bends down to pick up the drink, he hears a chatter behind him, the voices unfamiliar. Probably the seniors, he thinks.

 

He struggles a bit with the door to the takeout port and eventually gets his drink out. He only shoots the students behind him a curious glance before going off.

 

“They’re out of banana milk,” says one of them, an obvious disappointment laced in his voice. It's a silent hall since many of the students are still around the cafeteria or elsewhere, which is why he doesn't fail to hear the whines from the presumably seniors.

 

“Just pick something else, like the strawberry one or whatever,” the other person says.

 

“Too sweet,” replies the former one. “I’d rather not have any.”

 

“What? But we walked all the way here, Kyungsoo!” The friend whines as they totter away from the vending machine.

 

Poking his straw on the circular small seal, Jongin stares at the duo, particularly the pouting boy for not getting what he wants. Jongin understands how it feels.

 

One short slurp later, he then drops his gaze at the banana milk in his hand.

 

-

 

The bell finally rings after like an eternity spent in that Calculus class. Jongin feels his brain being way too concentrated from their topic today. He wants to sleep in the comfort of his bedroom before studying for another quiz the next day.

 

Sehun rests his arm on Jongin’s shoulder, groaning. “I hate anything involving calculations. The only calculation I give a damn about is having enough money to buy that new PC game out in store. How do I drop Calc?”

 

“It’s a compulsory subject.” Jongin says, covering his mouth with a hand when he starts yawning. “You need it to graduate.”

 

“Are you going straight home?” Sehun questions instead.

 

Jongin tucks his hands in the pockets of his slacks. “What do you have in mind?”

 

“I want to grab some bubble tea first. And maybe the arcade later?”

 

Taking a quick look at his wristwatch, Jongin nods. “Sure, not too late though. We have a quiz tom—”

 

He feels a harsh shove in the back of his shoulder, almost dropping his bag in the process. After quickly regaining his stance, he turns around towards the source, wanting to give a piece of his mind until—

 

“Oh my gosh, I’m so, so sorry!” The male bows numerous times, clearly indicating it was an accident. “I wasn't looking. I’m so sorry!”

 

Jongin recognizes that face. The vending machine—

 

The boy gives him a hopeful look of not offending him, and Jongin snaps out of himself. “Oh um, it’s fine.”

 

The boy sends him an apologetic smile before jogging over to his friend who doesn't even hide his laughter. He makes a jab at his friend’s side, hissing in humiliation perhaps. “Stop pushing like that! What if he’s a scary person—”

 

“Aren’t they seniors?” Sehun cranes his neck to look at the duo ahead of them. “So short.”

 

Jongin doesn't say anything, distracted by the way that particular senior pouting at his friend’s guffaw.

 

-

 

With the 3rd year’s midterms creeping around the corner, where else would be the hottest place if not for the school library? It would be a lie if Jongin said he liked it since it’s way too crowded and it’s hard to even get a seat. Some would even settle for sitting on the floor near the shelves for studying privacy.

 

Jongin doesn't really favour the library anyway but he’s here to borrow that one textbook his tutor recommends for Biology class. He finally finds it but is slightly startled by the thickness of the book. As he scans the title, it actually comprises the entirety of the syllabus from 1st to 3rd year. No wonder.

 

He hands it to the librarian for handling the record purposes, and s his bag to stash it in there when a somewhat familiar voice is heard.

 

“I’m sorry?”

 

“The book you’re looking for isn’t available. All copies of it are currently borrowed by other students, Mr. Do.” The librarian lady informs him.

 

“But I have a Bio paper tomorrow! Can’t you do something about it, madam?” The boy pleads.

 

“So do they, Mr. Do. And there’s a thing called sharing.” The lady calmly speaks, as if used to deal with desperate students like him.

 

“How am I supposed to know who does or doesn't have the textbook with them now?”

 

“I have names in my record, but I’d say the closest person having this book right now is right next to you, Mr. Kim.”

 

At his surname, Jongin blinks up to the lady, before turning his head to look at the much shorter boy with large eyes, staring at him with a similarly surprised look. “Uh.”

 

“He has the last copy, Mr. Do.” The lady says with finality before getting up her chair and going to the shelves, leaving the two boys at the counter.

 

Jongin looks at the book in his bag, was just about to zip it up until then.

 

“Um, sorry,” The boy in front of him mutters. “I thought you’d be someone in my year, but never mind. You- You can have it.” He scratches at his cheek and looks down, hopeless.

 

He’s just about to walk off when Jongin stops him. “Wait.” He takes the book back out from his bag and holds it out for him to take. When the boy looks confused, Jongin explains himself, half-shrugging. “I don’t have a test tomorrow anyway.”

 

“But—”

 

“It’s just that my tutor recommended I study using it. Have it. I’m not the one having a paper tomorrow.”

 

“Oh. Th-Thank you.” The boy bows appreciatively, taking the book with both hands. “What’s your name?”

 

Jongin is zipping his bookbag up when he thinks he hears the boy before him asks. “What?”

 

“Your name,” He gestures to the book. “So I can return this to you once I’m finished using it.”

 

“Oh,” Jongin touches the skin of his ear; a nervous habit he’s acquired through the years. “Jongin. Kim Jongin.” He says, opting to stare at the book to avoid eye contact. “And take all the time you need. I don’t mind.”

 

“Really?” The boy chirps, earning Jongin’s look on his face. His eyes light up like the most excited child getting treated to his favourite ice cream. “Thank you!”

 

The boy then makes his way out the door, not realizing that the textbook isn’t the only thing he just took from Jongin.

 

-

 

“Jongin.”

 

“Hm.”

 

“You’re staring.”

 

Accidentally dropping his chopsticks on his plate, Jongin instantly drops his gaze on his food, picking his chopsticks back up. “No, I’m not.” He says monotonously.

 

“Uh-huh, and I didn't just fail my maths quiz,” Sehun deadpans, studying his best friend who’s suddenly stuffing his food like a deprived child. He looks behind him, eyes searching for anything worth getting stared on by Kim Jongin. Puppies? They never really got past the hallway without being shooed out again by the janitor. A girl? Sehun scoffs. Jongin is as straight as a person walking on a drunken gait. Then—

 

A boy?

 

His eyes search and search, but he doesn't see anyone who might fit into Jongin’s style. Maybe his style has changed?

 

“Which one, Jongin?”

 

Mouth full with food, Jongin asks back. “Which one what?”

 

“This new crush of yours.”

 

Jongin almost chokes on the food, forcing it down his throat before taking huge gulps of water. “I have a crush?”

 

“Could’ve fooled me,” His noodles is left untouched on the table as Sehun continues scanning the faces on the tables on the other side. “A junior from another class? A senior?”

 

“It’s rude to ignore your food, Sehun.” Jongin says instead, face blank.

 

“It’s rude to ignore my questions,” Sehun retorts back. Jongin responds by sticking his tongue out childishly, remnants of food seen on the tip of it. “Gross. You’re eating.”

 

“If you’re not eating that, I will.” Jongin points to Sehun’s noodles with the end of his chopsticks.

 

Glaring, Sehun pulls the tray of his food closer to his side of the table.

 

-

 

Lunchtime is always the only time for Jongin to even spot that senior with the incredibly huge and sparkly eyes; and Jongin did not just describe his eyes sparkly, okay, it was his subconscious speaking.

 

Whenever he sees him, there’s always this one boy hanging around him. Jongin assumes he’s the best friend. Does he have a boyfriend? Or is that his boyfriend?

 

Jongin feels his heart fall just a bit at the thought. Then, he suddenly remembers about the textbook incident.

 

Did he study well? Did he do well in the test? He seems like the kind of person to make sure he has properly gone through the entire textbook before allowing himself to even enter the exam hall. Wouldn't have surprised me if he was the valedictorian too.

 

It’s weird since Jongin only now starts noticing him ever since that vending machine incident, and recently at the library. It’s probably because the senior has a really child-like face with apple cheeks and wide eyes; overall a really nice face to look at.

 

Jongin blames the face.

 

-

 

On his way to the classroom, Jongin notices a familiar bob of raven hair, standing close to the entrance of his class.

 

He approaches the said boy, a hand hovering over the small shoulder before pulling it back. Instead, he shifts so he’s right in front of him. “You’re from the library.”

 

The previous anxious expression is replaced with utter relief and joy when Jongin makes his appearance. “Jongin! I thought I got the wrong class.”

 

“Were you waiting for me?” He asks, taking note of the book hugged close to his chest.

 

“Um yeah. They said you’re in this class so I thought I should just wait for you to come around.” He pulls the book away from his chest and holds it out. “Here, it’s all yours now.”

 

As Jongin takes the book, there’s a small box placed on top of it. “What’s this?”

 

“Just something to thank you with. Because of you, I was able to study thoroughly.” The elder boy smiles up at him, chuckling a bit. “It’s banana milk; my favourite.”

 

I know, Jongin almost blurts out. I’ve seen you looking like a kicked puppy when the vending machine ran out of it the other day. “Oh, thanks.” He wiggles the drink in the air.

 

The elder male nods, a hand making a small wave. “See you around, Jongin.”

 

“Hold up,” Jongin stops him from turning on his back. “I—I still haven’t got your name.”

 

There’s a cute tilt of his head before his face breaks in a wide grin, a hand tugs at the nametag on his left chest pocket. “You can call me Kyungsoo.”

 

“Oh, okay,” Kyungsoo gives a final wave in the air before marching off to the staircase. “Guess I’ll see you around too, Kyungsoo-hyung.” He murmurs to himself.

 

“What’s that?” Sehun startles him from behind, earning a jerk of surprise. “Banana milk? Man, you’re drinking a lot of that these days, aren’t you?”

 

“So what?” Shoving Sehun off his shoulder, he enters his noisy classroom, silently hoping his friend didn't see the exchange between him and Kyungsoo just now.

 

-

 

Jongin glares at the person beside him. “What are you doing.”

 

“I’m on a mission to find that one boy you’ve had eyes on. In this position, I can perfectly secure your range of vision and eventually follow where your gaze lands on. I can lock on the said target and assess the features worth your hideous eyes to feast on,” Sehun says, making a determined fist in the air and flaring his nostrils and basically just making that ugly face he always wears in any similar situation.

 

Wordlessly, Jongin gets up from his regular seat and switches to the one across from Sehun, earning a scandalized look on the latter’s part.

 

“The ing nerve,” Sehun breathes out.

 

Jongin merely keeps his palms together and closes his eyes in a prayer. “I will eat gratefully.”

 

“Well, I will not,” Sehun hisses out viciously.

 

“Then, that’s your business with your gods, not mine.” Separating his chopsticks, Jongin starts gobbling down his lunch.

 

“Jongin, I’m a non believer.”

 

“Oops, my bad. Eat your food, Sehun.”

 

-

 

“Can u buy some sugar on the way back home, sweetie?”

 

His mother’s text came in as soon as class ends that afternoon. With a lazy yawn, Jongin types away his reply and tucks his phone back in his pocket. Sehun slings an arm around his shoulder before he gets to exit the class.

 

A cheeky smile is seen on his face. “To the arcade?”

 

“I have an errand,” Jongin shrugs off the arm, leaving a pouting Sehun on his tail.

 

“At least let me tag along to this ‘errand’ of yours.”

 

“You make it sound like it’s a weird errand.”

 

“Well, you have been acting weirdly these days. Who knows if this errand involves meeting up with a boy on a lovely date behind my back.”

 

“If it does, then it’s none of your concern.” Jongin says in a final tone, letting Sehun tag along anyway.

 

-

 

Jongin shouldn't have let him tag along—

 

—Because right in front of the aisle he’s in, stands none other than his so-called secret hyung crush, pushing a cart as he scans the boxes of cereals on the shelves. His best friend is also there, possibly making dumb jokes because Kyungsoo is laughing with his whole body, having to stop his trolley in order to wipe the mirth from his eyes.

 

What's worse is that his said crush apparently also notices his presence, and so gives him a wave of acknowledgment, much to Jongin’s embarrassment. His friend also gives curious glances at them.

 

No, it’s not that he doesn't like it being acknowledged as a person Kyungsoo knows in public, but it’s more so because Sehun is right there. Jongin sees the dreaded taunting before it even comes.

 

“Do Kyungsoo, the Vice Prez of his class, follow-up runner in the most recent Physics quiz, part of the Top 5 ranking in his overall year, probably smells like vanilla  and talks to animals too,” Sehun spells the list out, rubbing his chin wisely with his free hand while his other hand is preoccupied with several cups of instant noodles. “Kim Jongin…” He ends with a question mark drawn in the air with his finger.

 

“Shut up,” Jongin lands a light punch in the shoulder, almost causing some of the cups to slip from his grasp. “And where the hell did you know all that from?”

 

“That’s not important. What’s important is really?” His tone is dripping with disbelief at this profound information. “Really, Kim Jongin? How did you guys even meet?”

 

“I hate your gossip .”

 

“Does he know?”

 

“About your gossip ? I doubt it.” He receives an unimpressed stare, and lets out a sigh. “No, I don't think so.”

 

“Why don't you tell him?” Sehun questions as he drops the cups into his basket.

 

“What? No! We've only just met. And what if he doesn't swing that way?” The fear of him being told that his crush doesn't feel that way towards guys is far greater than the fear of rejection.

 

“Once upon a time,” Sehun starts, mildly piquing Jongin’s interest. “There were rumors that he once had a boyfriend and some girls I hang out with also said that they’ve seen the two kissing under a tree. They broke up after like a month.”

 

Sehun’s pretentious tone doesn't amuse Jongin in the slightest, but the possibility of his hyung crush might not be straight after all, does.

 

His friend just sends him that proud grin of his. “Don’t you just love this gossip ?”

 

-

 

Jongin’s at the library again, wanting to return the textbook he’s been borrowing recently. He approaches the lady at the counter, voicing his intents.

 

After getting the ‘okay’ from her, he attempts to leave until he notices a familiar person in his periphery. No wonder he doesn't see him anywhere in the cafeteria during lunchtime.

 

The library is quiet today, as to be expected in such a place, and the boy is sitting alone on a table, his area scattered with open books. He is facing away from the window where the sunlight seeps in, casting a shimmering auburn halo on his head. Jongin almost doesn't recognize him since he’s put on his studying glasses, round and snug on his nose bridge. He loves that look on him; makes his hyung looks softer than he already is.

 

Jongin is entranced, still so even when the senior looks up from his book for a short stretching session and takes a double at the sight of him. He blinks for a moment before regaining his previous posture, fixing his glasses and his bangs. Only when Kyungsoo waves over at him does Jongin break out from his reverie.

 

Padding his way over to him, Jongin doesn't miss the way the elder male keeps fidgeting with his glasses, eventually taking them off once Jongin takes a seat across of him.

 

“Hey, Jongin,” Kyungsoo greets, touching his bangs to even them out. “Were you borrowing books?”

 

“No, I was returning one,” Jongin says, unable to take his eyes off the elder’s face. Ever since Sehun told him of that possibility, Jongin only finds his heart swell bigger with the hope of seeing more of his hyung in the coming days. It gives him a sliver of hope to cling onto. “You wear glasses?”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles softly. “My eyes are really bad. Do they look weird on me?” He asks timidly, thumbing the rim of his glasses that he took off.

 

“No, of course not,” Jongin blurts out. “My eyes are bad, too. I just wear contacts.”

 

“I should probably get myself contacts soon, too.” Kyungsoo giggles, his already young face looking a lot more child-like.

 

But I like you in glasses, Jongin almost lets that slip. No matter, seeing him smile like this is perfect, too. Dropping his gaze on the books around him, Jongin takes one of them and studies the cover.

 

“I have an essay, actually,” Kyungsoo says, putting his glasses back on. “So yeah. My study space is usually this messy.”

 

For a while, Jongin silently studies the way the senior seems absorbed in his assignment. The way his eyebrows furrow when he makes a double at a particular paragraph. The way his lips pout when he paraphrases a certain text onto his paper. The way he pushes his glasses up with his index finger when it descends too low on his nose.

 

Kyungsoo seems busy as he keeps flipping pages and scanning them, and Jongin takes it as his cue, not wanting to bother him with his work. He places the book back where it was and stands up. “Then, I'll go first.”

 

The senior doesn't seem to hear him.

 

-

 

After what seem like hours, Kyungsoo calls it a day, leaning back in his chair with a long drawn out sigh. All the slouching seems to have taken its toll on his back muscles, feeling knots starting to form at some places. He’s going to need a warm shower for that.

 

The library is already empty, and the sky seen from the window behind him now casts an orange hue. He’s been here since lunch break, taking his time since the lecturer postpones the class afterwards due to personal reasons.

 

Feeling a bit dazed from all that reading, he almost doesn't notice the banana milk placed on his table.

 

-

 

The next morning, as Kyungsoo walks to his locker, he sees a yawning Baekhyun doing the combination of his own locker. Immediately, he runs to him.

 

“Thank you!” He attacks his best friend with a tight hug, who is startled the crap out of his skin and almost drains away all his sleepiness. “You’re the best friend ever.” Kyungsoo snuggles closer to him.

 

Confused, Baekhyun only returns the hug half-heartedly, muttering. “I know I am.”

 

“How did you know I was in the library yesterday?” Kyungsoo pulls away, an adorable smile gracing his face, too bright in the early morning.

 

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow at him. “You were? I didn't know that.”

 

Blinking dumbly, Kyungsoo looks at him funny. “Then whom did you pass the banana milk to?”

 

“Huh? Banana milk?” Now, Baekhyun gives him a weird look. “What are you talking about, Kyungsoo?”

 

“It wasn't you?” Kyungsoo asks incredulously.

 

“Does it make me less of your best friend if it wasn't? Now you make me sad.” His best friend pouts.

 

That’s strange, Kyungsoo thinks. Who else knew he was at the library yesterday?

 

Oh.

 

-

 

Jongin is done for.

 

He shouldn't have bought that drink and placed it on his table like that yesterday. Jongin wants to turn back time. What if the senior felt weirded out by it? They’ve only met a couple of times for stupid feelings to develop. What if Jongin was being too obvious? What if he threw it away?

 

He wouldn't throw it away, it’s his favourite though, right? Jongin just wanted to cheer him on; seeing Kyungsoo working hard yesterday spurred something within him to want to take care of him. Was it that weird?

 

“Ugh,” He groans for the nth time that morning. The first class hasn't even started yet and Jongin’s already worrying his pants. It's probably just him and his overthinking.

 

“Got rejected by the love of your life?” Sehun asks from in front of him.

 

“I didn't even confess yet,” Jongin says in his palms, earning a gasp from Sehun.

 

“So you were planning to.”

 

“I don't have plans of doing so.”

 

“You said ‘yet’, Jongin, I can ing testify that.”

 

Jongin only rolls his eyes at him. It’s too early for him to tolerate Sehun’s sarcastic .

 

-

 

“Oh, you’re that noodle boy.”

 

Jongin and Sehun are having lunch as per usual, when the two upperclassmen come up to their table. Clinging to each other’s arms, it’s Baekhyun who greets the juniors, apparently noticing Sehun first.

 

“Noodle boy? That’s a weird nickname. I do not approve,” Sehun slams his chopsticks down dramatically, pointing an accusing finger Baekhyun’s way.

 

On the other hand, Jongin has to pause mid-chewing as he regards the elder male’s presence.

 

“Um, hi Jongin. Sorry for interrupting your lunch,” Kyungsoo finally speaks up, hugging Baekhyun’s arm closer. “I just wanted to ask if you were the one who left that banana milk on my desk. I mean, I’m so sorry if it wasn't you, I really didn't know—”

 

“It was me,” Jongin interrupts him when he sees Kyungsoo’s face grows anxious. He hastily swallows the food left in his mouth to speak properly. “I left it for you.”

 

“O-Oh,” Kyungsoo stutters, still waiting for Jongin to continue but since it doesn't happen, he takes that as a sign to show his gratitude. “Um, thank you for that.” He bows a little.

 

“You’re welcome,” Jongin says, and after a few seconds, decides to stand up. “Um, do you have some time? Just a minute.” In his periphery, he can almost see Sehun snickering into his drink.

 

Kyungsoo shares a look with Baekhyun who just raises an eyebrow at him as if telling him ‘go for it’. He looks up at the expectant junior. “Sure, why not?”

 

As Baekhyun and Sehun wordlessly watch them leave the table, the former takes it upon himself to Jongin’s seat, smiling at Sehun in mischief. “Noodle boy.”

 

-

 

Jongin leads the way out of the cafeteria, but just still within the area. It’s quieter here. He then comes to halt, turning to face the elder male.

 

“Hyung, you can tell me if you don't like me doing that to you.” He lets out the unspoken distress clearly shown in Kyungsoo’s demeanor just now.

 

Kyungsoo looks stupefied. “Doing what, Jongin?”

 

“Giving you that drink yesterday.”

 

“Oh, no, no! It wasn't that I didn't appreciate your good deed, Jongin, I just didn't understand what it was for.” The shorter male fidgets with the ends of his sleeve.

 

“Hyung,” Jongin starts, his face turning serious as he looks at the elder male in front of him, and the latter only looks at him questioningly. Is this it? Is this the time? Dear God, why are his eyes so mesmerizing like that? Is it possible for them to sparkle that way? Would you just look at the way he’s blinking cutely—

 

“I like you, hyung.”

 

How are those already large eyes grow larger like that why are his bushy eyebrows going so up what did I just say

 

“Wait, hyung, I mean—”

 

“You… like me?” Kyungsoo asks in a small, hesitant voice.

 

“No, I mean, yeah. I do. I really do,” Jongin stumbles with his words. “I… like you, hyung. So— the banana milk— yeah.” What is eloquence, Jongin mentally slaps himself.

 

“But,” Kyungsoo looks down dejectedly. “I’m a boring person, Jongin. I study most of the time, I rarely go to the movies, I don't know how to be fun half if not most of the time, I’m just— a really boring person… It’s the main reason why my previous ex broke up with me.” He mumbles out the last part, but Jongin catches it anyway.

 

“Your ex if that’s true, no offense,” Jongin admits, slightly enraged at the mere prospect his hyung being dumped that way. “But I’m a boring person too. I also really just study if I’m not watching TV. Other than Sehun, Monggu’s the only closest friend I have, and he’s a toy poodle, by the way. Also really cute.” Kyungsoo can’t help a chuckle at this. “What I mean is, we can be boring together, as long as we’re spending time with each other. I don't mind if it gets really quiet when you study. Or we can study together, I don't mind spending time with you that way. I’ll buy you all the banana milk you love so much in this world, and everything else you like. I— I feel like you deserve that much.”

 

By the end of Jongin’s confession, Kyungsoo’s face is as pink as can be, even the tips of his ears have hints of a blush. Jongin also only starts to realize what he really said, growing increasingly embarrassed afterwards.

 

“Well, that is,” Touching his ear nervously, Jongin feels like he should take one step backwards. “If— If you don’t mind being boring together with me?” The younger male feels himself growing smaller and smaller as seconds tick by. I should probably just diminish into dust

 

“I’d like to see Monggu some time.” Kyungsoo breaks the silence, slowly looking up at Jongin with a shy smile.

 

Jongin returns it with his own fond smile.

 

-

 

The next afternoon, they all decide to have lunch together. Kyungsoo is seated beside Jongin, who constantly steals shy glances when the elder’s not looking.

 

Kyungsoo’s no different as he always has his eyes downcast when he’s eating and only looks up at Jongin when he asks something, eventually bringing his gaze down bashfully since they’re sitting close with each other.

 

Meanwhile, Sehun and Baekhyun sit beside each other, across from the new couple, observing them and eating at the same time.

 

“Look at these newlyweds.” Baekhyun tsks before stuffing a fishcake in his mouth.

 

“Is this how it feels like to be that best friend who just got ditched for a lover?” Sehun asks, turning to Baekhyun.

 

“Hm, maybe.” The other male shrugs.

 

“So,” Sehun says after a while, chewing on his stuffed bread. “You single?”

 

Baekhyun’s lips slowly quirk upwards.

 

“You think?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

A/N : is that a sebaek or not, that depends on how u see it. ;)

there may be mistakes and i deeply apologize for it. OTL

Anyway, thank you so much for reading! I hope it brightened up your day. :)

Subscriptions, comments and upvotes are most appreciated!