Bottled Paper Nostalgia

Bottled Paper Nostalgia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Bottled Paper Nostalgia~

            It starts in Gwangju.

            A hometown they shared growing up but neither have yet to cross each other's paths. There are a lot of things to beginnings but the essential component is always the first meeting.

            Hyungwon is the first to take notice of Minhyuk.

            In the rather cramp four-walled dance room for the newly enrolled students, Hyungwon first wonders if he's walked into the correct classroom when he sees another boy his age sitting on the floor cursing at thin strips of colorful paper. He takes another look at the door and there indeed is a worn number 415 on the front matching his schedule. The opening and closing of the door attracts the attention of the one on the floor though so when Hyungwon steps back inside of the room he's greeted with a shy smile and crinkling eyes.

            "Hi, are you in this class too?"

            Hyungwon nods in answer, "Yeah."

            The other's smile widens a fraction more, "We'll be classmates. Lee Minhyuk."

            Hyungwon thinks idly that the name suits the other, "Chae Hyungwon."

            Minhyuk shifts the thin strips of papers from his right hand to his left and extends it to Hyungwon, "You're the first person I've met here. Let's do our best in this class."

            "Same," Hyungwon reaches out and shakes Minhyuk's hand but his eyes are still on the strips of colorful paper in Minhyuk's left hand, his curiosity peaked, "What are those? If you don't mind me asking."

            Minhyuk's eyes follow Hyungwon's sight and he laughs when he sees what has caught Hyungwon's attention, "They're just papers for making those little origami paper stars. Apparently if you write your wishes inside of them and fold a thousand paper stars your strongest wish among all of them will come true. No one was here because I came super early so I thought I could pass time by making them but I keep messing them up." Minhyuk gestures towards the small pile of crumpled paper strips near his shoes.

            "You're trying to make a thousand of them?" repeats Hyungwon as he takes a seat beside Minhyuk. He finds the idea interesting if anything and Minhyuk seems friendly enough to keep a conversation going.

            The other hums, "Mmhm, there's no harm in wishing." Minhyuk offers one of his blue paper strips to Hyungwon, "You want to try? You can help me reach my goal of one thousand."

            "I don't know how to fold them," Hyungwon replies honestly but he still takes the offered paper.

            "No worries, I can show you," Minhyuk exclaims excitedly in return as he puts down the rest of his other paper strips and settles with a yellow one.

            Hyungwon looks at the pile of crumpled paper stars again, "You sure about that?"

            "Those were just practice," Minhyuk defends himself as he shuffles the pile away from Hyungwon's sight, "Here, pay attention to this. First we have to write what we want to wish for on one side of the paper. It can be anything."

            "Anything?" There wasn’t much Hyungwon really wanted and suddenly having to write a wish on the spot made him blank out completely.

            Minhyuk took a black pen from his bag and wrote something on his yellow paper before handing it to Hyungwon. "Anything. Just make sure to leave your initials so if we ever end up unwrapping the stars we'll know who's wish belongs to who."

            Without much care Hyungwon wrote down a simple wish followed by his initials. When he finishes he hands the pen back to Minhyuk and looks across the floor to see their wishes laid out before each other.

            I wish I could be the best at dancing –C.H.

            I wish I can learn everything I can out of this school and be the best –L.M.

            Minhyuk takes notice too and says aloud what Hyungwon was thinking, "Oh similar wishes." There's nothing Hyungwon feels the need to say back so he picks up his paper the same time Minhyuk does.

            "Alright, let's start with step one," Minhyuk balances the yellow strip of paper on his open palm before taking both ends with the tips of his forefinger and thumb, "Cross the left end of the paper over the right to make the shape of those awareness ribbons."

            Hyungwon nods and follows along with Minhyuk's example with his blue one. It was easy enough.

            "Then tuck the left end under the right end and pull it through tightly so now the shape looks like a pentagon."

            Hyungwon pulls the end inwards but there's a problem, his pentagon looks nothing like a pentagon and more like a warped trapezoid. "This doesn't quite look right…"

            Minhyuk's eyebrows scrunch up at the weird shape Hyungwon made. "I think you pulled too tight," Minhyuk extracts the blue paper from Hyungwon's hold exchanging it for his yellow one. He undoes the knot Hyungwon tightened and creases it again properly before switching the two papers back.

            "Take the little short piece sticking out on the left and tuck it into the opening," Minhyuk continues demonstrating as he instructs, "And turn it over so the long piece is on the right and fold the long part across the edges while making sure the bottom edges of the long part and the pentagon are lined up each time until there's only a little bit of the long part left. You tuck that part in too."

            Hyungwon follows along with Minhyuk's eyes on his hands ready to correct any missteps. Thankfully there weren't many since Minhyuk goes on to the last step.

            "Now the last step is to squish the middle of the sides so it puffs up into the shape of a star."

            Minhyuk and Hyungwon's fingers push little indents into the pentagon shaped paper causing it to take a more three-dimensional form but it hardly resembles what a star should look like whatsoever. When they finish it looks like they made tiny overly complicated crumpled balls of paper.

            "You're terrible at this but so am I," Minhyuk laughs again and Hyungwon surprisingly finds it infectious as he laughs with him. They look at their messed up paper stars with amusement until Minhyuk starts digging through his backpack again. "Here, I'll keep it in my pencil box for safe keeping and drop it into my jar at home. The star count has risen from zero to two."

            Without protest Hyungwon drops his mangled star into Minhyuk's pencil box.

 

☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆

 

            Gwangju is a lot smaller than Hyungwon realizes. He finds out that Minhyuk only lives two streets away from his own place and Minhyuk makes it his mission to walk home with him since day one. Because that's what friends do apparently.

            According to Minhyuk, since they've shared their wishes they're now considered close. Well, being the only same aged friends in their dance class, who've been labeled as the resident flower boys, helps too but that's just a minor detail. Hyungwon thinks Minhyuk likes to have him around because he's the only one really willing to help him constantly fold those paper stars. Minhyuk denies Hyungwon's accusations but still push those colorful strips of paper into his hands with a gleaming smile and batting eyelashes every chance he gets.

            It's okay. Hyungwon only folds and wishes on the black and white strips anyways while Minhyuk handles the rest of the rainbow. Minhyuk calls it unfair but Hyungwon calls it friendship.

            They spend their time walking home slowly while folding those endless strips Minhyuk always seem to have on hand. They're taking their time because Minhyuk is always too early for his bus and he absolutely hates waiting alone.

            "We're steadily getting better at this," remarks Minhyuk as he takes a look at his green paper star. It's a little squished at the corners but there's obvious improvement, at least the star has a five pointed form to it.

            "You're getting better at this," Hyungwon corrects as he shows Minhyuk his own distorted version in the palm of his hand. He believes that his very first attempt most definitely looks better in comparison.

            Minhyuk takes it regardless and drops both into his pencil case again before putting it back into his bag and zipping it up. He spares Hyungwon a pitying look, nose held up high, "We all can't be good at everything."

            Hyungwon shrugs nonchalantly, "I'm quite relieved to not be good at everything like you because I would find it mortifying to be good at dumping an entire plate of spicy rice cakes on myself like you did at the restaurant the other day."

            "That was an accident!" protests Minhyuk as he noticeably pinkens in embarrassment remembering his mishap, "You weren't any help with it either by getting up and walking away! Who does that-"

            The sudden sound of a beat dropping stops their bickering as they recognize the song being played.

            "Isn't that the new hit released yesterday?" Turning his head across the street Minhyuk sees a small album store displaying the music video on one of the flat screens, previous conversation entirely abandoned. Hyungwon's eyes flicker over with mild interest. The both of them stop for a moment to stare at the captivating synchronized dance moves and aesthetic group member shots while the carefully strung together notes of the music lures them into the story of the music video. There's a new shine to Minhyuk's eyes that Hyungwon notices when he glances over to the other.

            When Minhyuk takes notice of Hyungwon's questioning look, he grins, "Being an idol is amazing isn't it? To be honest I joined the dance class because I wanted to get a feel for how choreography works. I want to audition and become an idol."

            Hyungwon hums in understanding and gets the feeling that Minhyuk has been chasing this dream for quite some time despite himself just hearing of it now. There's a certain flare of determination that Hyungwon can't shake emitting from Minhyuk and all he has in response is a short, "Good luck with that." Because he's heard this from his previous friends and acquaintances before, the elusive dream of a debut, and in the performing arts classes like dance it's hard not to meet those who want to make it big no matter what it costs them whether that be their childhood, education, or health.

            "I think you should audition with me," Minhyuk says without missing a beat as they continue on their way. "You would fit the idol vibe. Although if you don't want to we could just work on the routines together to make it more fun. Extra practice for you couldn't hurt right?"

            "…I'll think about it," replies Hyungwon hesitantly. There was nothing wrong with wanting to be an idol but for someone like Hyungwon who hasn't even considered the thought of entering that path it would take more than a simple yes or no answer. Minhyuk seems content with what he's told him so far and so he leaves it at that.

            When they get to the bus stop and sit on the bench Minhyuk takes out his pencil case again to pull out a few more of the strips of paper filling out his wishes on them before folding them into more stars while chattering away about the endless possibilities of being scouted and auditioning online or in person. Half listening, Hyungwon decides to take two more strips of paper from the pile in Minhyuk's pencil box.

            He writes on each of them:

            I wish we could have more of the spicy rice cake Minhyuk dumped on himself  –C.H.

            I wish I could have a stronger dream to strive for too –C.H.

            And folds them into distorted stars before dropping them into Minhyuk's pencil box with the other ones they've folded throughout the day. They have an agreement that their wishes stay secret only to themselves unless they want to share but once it's folded it's sealed forever unless the owner of the wish decides otherwise. There's already a handful filling the bottom of the tin but that doesn't stop them from making more. Hyungwon doesn’t need to take the bus but he ends up waiting with Minhyuk until the last moment anyways. When the bus does finally pull up, Minhyuk steps aboard and always takes a seat near the window to wave at him until he's out of sight.

 

☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆

 

            When Hyungwon opens his eyes again there's a sweaty hand in front of his face connected to an equally sweaty Minhyuk. It's gross. But laying on the wooden floor soaking in his own sweat is practically grosser so he takes the extended hand anyways and Minhyuk easily pulls him up.

            His legs protest and his arms feel nearly nonexistent but he doesn't complain. It was his own decision to work with Minhyuk on learning the routines and practice until the sun began to set. They gather their things achingly slow with the occasional pop of their joints and cracks of their tired bones. By the time they're outside of the dance class studio Minhyuk is still quietly singing under his breath and Hyungwon is wondering how Minhyuk even has the energy to do so.

            "Hey," he nudges Minhyuk weakly with his elbow.

            Minhyuk finally stops and looks at Hyungwon expectantly.

            "Stop singing."

            Now Minhyuk looks offended, "Wh-"

            "You're going to hurt your voice if you over do it," cuts off Hyungwon quickly before looking back at Minhyuk with a 'don't argue with me' glare.

            "But-"

            "You sound good," there's a pause and from what Hyungwon can tell Minhyuk seems stunned, in a positive way, he adds on more honestly, "Not powerful or phenomenally exceptional but good, decent. Combined with the routine we've been practicing you should be fine. It's probably enough to get you a pass for the auditions."

            There's a frown descending on Minhyuk's features now that makes Hyungwon feel slightly guilty for voicing his honest opinion. Minhyuk kicks at a pebble in the street, "I don't think it's enough."

            "Practicing until your vocal chords give out isn’t going to help it be enough either," remarks Hyungwon while taking out his water bottle to take a sip. He offers it to Minhyuk after but the other refuses.

            Minhyuk huffs out a long and tired sigh, "There's an audition open this weekend. It'll be my second attempt."

            Hyungwon can't say that he's surprised but all he does have to say is another simple, "Good luck." It's all that can be said because anything other than wishing the other luck would be false hopes and borderline lies.

            "Thanks," Minhyuk understands, grins wide and toothy, "You sure you don't want to audition with me? After all the effort you put in to learn the routines, you even learned it faster than I did."

            "It's your dream, you go for it."

            "Then what's yours?"

            "What?" Hyungwon stops for a second and briefly spares Minhyuk a glance but the setting sun gets in the way and he's forced to just squint in Minhyuk's general direction who's now a few steps ahead of him.

            Minhyuk turns back to look at Hyungwon and manages to block the sun's rays with the back of his head so Hyungwon can see him properly, "What's the goal you're aiming for? If I'm aiming to be an idol, what do you want to be?"

            There is a multitude of answers Hyungwon could have given but he avoids them all, chooses to say, "You're not aiming to be an idol. You're aiming to be a trainee at the very least. You can only aim to be an idol once you pass an audition."

            The previous look of curiosity on Minhyuk's face falls flat and he replies without any hesitation in a petty manner because clearly sass was not what he wanted from Hyungwon. "You dance like a wet noodle."

            Hyungwon raises a brow before calmly retaliating, "I take everything back, you're a mediocre joke. Never sing again."

            At this, Minhyuk's face screws into a sour expression and he fakes a cry, high pitched and whiney, as he clutches at his heart like it was wounded, "How could you hurt me so?"

            An indifferent shrug of shoulders and Hyungwon is walking past Minhyuk squinting against the sun's rays again. Minhyuk falls into step with him easily when he sees that Hyungwon wasn't planning on playing along with him any further.

            "Why?" Hyungwon asks suddenly out of the blue.

            It leaves Minhyuk confused. "Need more context than just that."

            Hyungwon rolls his eyes but elaborates, "Why do you want to be an idol so bad?"

            "Because it's all I want," Minhyuk's confusion melts into a fond smile that Hyungwon finds hard not to compare to the sun currently blinding his eyes, "To sing, dance, entertain, travel the world, hopefully make it big. It's not an ideal dream and it comes with risks but I'd rather be doing something I love than force myself to do something I find boring simply because I never bothered to try."

            The answer isn't anything less than what Hyungwon expected, especially not after having spent so much time practicing with Minhyuk. He knows the other is determined. Stubborn. Minhyuk will chase his dreams far past his last breath, for as long as his own two legs can take him. And some part of Hyungwon wants to be there to see Minhyuk make it.

            "Maybe I'll join you at that audition after all," Hyungwon announces as he avoids looking directly at Minhyuk. He doesn't think he can handle another one of Minhyuk's impossibly wide 'I knew it' grins. "Send me the details for it."

            He hears a loud gasp from his side and then Minhyuk is yelling excitedly again. "Just like that!? Did my reason compel you to change your mind that quickly!?"

            Although Hyungwon can’t see Minhyuk directly he can still hear the anticipation built up in the other's voice, "Like you said I already practiced more than enough routines with you so it'd be a waste not to go."

            Minhyuk hums in agreement before hastily whipping his phone out to send Hyungwon the link to the audition post. He doesn't dwell too long on the answer, he's just too happy with having Hyungwon agree to come with him. "It would be."

            Hyungwon feels his phone vibrate in his pocket but doesn't bother to check it. Doesn't even really get the chance to do so because Minhyuk throws an arm around his shoulders and shouts a deafening battle cry to the air. When Minhyuk finishes he pulls his arm around Hyungwon a little tighter causing their heads to bump lightly. Hyungwon opens his mouth to tell him off but stops short when he turns to face Minhyuk only to have the other's face far too close for the definition of personal space to apply.

            For some unfathomable reason though, Minhyuk doesn't seem to find it as painfully awkward as Hyungwon does because he doesn't loosen his grip and keeps Hyungwon trapped. Hyungwon is just glad that they're similar in height and he doesn't have to stoop far but he'd really appreciate it if Minhyuk could just release his hold.

            Of course Hyungwon doesn't get what he initially wants though since Minhyuk unexpectedly turns serious.

            "We must commemorate this moment."

            Hyungwon gives Minhyuk his most absolute done look he can possibly muster, "Are you for real right now?"

            "Realer than real," nods Minhyuk and then he drops his arm from around Hyungwon's shoulders to turn around so Hyungwon has an easier access to his backpack, "Grab my pencil box for me?"

            There's a sigh on the tip of Hyungwon's tongue but he manages to hold it back as he s the big pocket and hands Minhyuk what he wants. Why not? If Minhyuk wants to fold some paper stars for this so be it. When Minhyuk's hands are on his pencil box he sets to work immediately. He pulls out a purple paper strip and a pen, then flips Hyungwon so that the taller is now standing with his back facing him so that he could use the other's back as a writing surface.

            Hyungwon doesn't complain but only because he can feel the characters Minhyuk is scribbling down across the paper and knows what Minhyuk is wishing for. Without even turning around Hyungwon knows they're sharing similar grins.

            We wish we can pass the auditions this weekend –L.M.& C.H.

            And just like that there is another paper star added to their growing collection.

 

☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆

 

            When Hyungwon opens the door to Minhyuk's bedroom he only manages to find an unusually large blanket lump on the other's bed. He assumes Minhyuk has decided to enter the sulking phase.

            "It's not the end of the world you know."

            The blanket lump doesn't move. Hyungwon vaguely wonders if Minhyuk has suffocated underneath all those blankets. He tries again but this time in a softer tone, one that shows he understands the disappointment Minhyuk feels because after all they did the same audition and were both promptly rejected.

            "We'll practice some more and we can try again at a different audition."

            The blanket lump still doesn’t move, doesn't make a sound either. Annoyed at being ignored while he's trying his best to be a decent friend and comfort the other he reaches out to smack the blanket lump where he assumed Minhyuk's head is positioned.

            "Hey are you-"

            Upon impact the blanket lump deflates and reveals no sign of Minhyuk 

            "What the fu-"

            "What are you doing?"

            Hyungwon jumps in surprise hearing the familiar voice behind him. He whirls around so fast he startles Minhyuk too. There could be a lot of things that came out of Hyungwon's mouth in that moment facing Minhyuk in the other's room after accidentally having a moment trying to comfort the other's blanket but what his mouth decides to spit out first and foremost is an exclamation of, "You're not sulking?!"

            "…I was" Minhyuk begins, eyes wide and still looking every bit startled, "But then I figured not everyone makes it in on their first or second try so there was no use dwelling on it for too long,." Minhyuk lifts the basket of freshly cleaned clothes in his arms to bring it to Hyungwon's attention, "Plus I had laundry to do." Then there's an awkward pause before Minhyuk asks again, "What were you doing in my room though?"

            Taking in a deep breath, Hyungwon pinches the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes in exasperation for a second before fixing a half-hearted glare at Minhyuk, "I thought you were still upset over failing the audition so I came over to check on you. Your mom showed me to your room."

            "Okay but who were you talking to?"

            "Shut up," Hyungwon keeps his face as neutral as possible to be convincing despite wanting to die inside from the embarrassment, "I wasn't talking."

            "You were."

            "You're hearing things."

            Minhyuk rolls his eyes and walks around Hyungwon to dump his laundry basket in the corner, "Whatever you say then." The older flops onto his bed with a loud huff, "What should we do now?"

            Hyungwon takes a tentative seat on the corner of Minhyuk's bed and shrugs, "You sure you're done sulking?"

            "Probably," responds Minhyuk thoughtfully, he tilts his head to the side so he can see Hyungwon properly, "Why do you keep asking?"

            "I didn't expect you to get over it so quickly," Hyungwon adds, "It just caught me off guard."

            Minhyuk nods in understanding, "I'm fine. It happens."

            Hyungwon leans his head back on the wall, about to open his mouth and suggest they pick up practicing again with a new routine, but his eyes catch sight of a glass jar on Minhyuk's desk beside him filled with their little stars they made over the last few months. It actually astonishes him that the jar exists much less contains all the mangled paper strips. "You really kept the stars we folded."

            "Hm?" Minhyuk lifts his head and follows Hyungwon's sight back to the jar on his desk, "Oh. Yeah. Of course. What did you think I did with the stars after we put them in my pencil case?" He gets up and picks up the jar to hand to Hyungwon so the other can have a closer look.

            "I don't know. I thought maybe you just left them in your pencil box until you remembered to empty it out somewhere in your room never to be seen again," Hyungwon takes it from Minhyuk and turns the jar in his hand slowly as he examines it's contents.

            "I emptied it out in the jar, obviously." Minhyuk decides to take a seat at his desk and rifle around in one of his drawers as Hyungwon tries to unscrew the lid.

            "Do you think maybe we didn't wish hard enough?"

            Minhyuk stops rifling for a second, considers Hyungwon's question, and answers, "No. I don't think it has anything to do about the wish we made," before going back to rifling through his desk again.

            "What makes you say that?"

            "Because some wishes aren't meant to be granted no matter how hard some of us wish."

            Hyungwon quirks a brow but doesn't have anything to reply. He does manage to open the jar at the same time Minhyuk finds more strips of paper hidden away in his messy drawers though. And without the need to say anything, Minhyuk passes Hyungwon a pen with a few of the paper strips after Hyungwon sets the jar down between them.

            They continue to fill the jar with another handful of their wishful thinking and baseless hopes.

            I wish I could improve –L.M.

            I wish people could see talent past a pretty face –C.H.

            I wish all the hardships will pay off –L.M.

            I wish the practices and training will be worth it –C.H.

            I wish Hyungwon won't have to worry –L.M.

            I wish I won't have to see the look of disappointment on Minhyuk's face anymore –C.H.

            Then on the last paper they have Hyungwon decides it's his turn to write a shared one. Minhyuk grins in approval once he's done.

            We wish that no matter how many auditions it takes us we'll be able to keep trying –C.H. & L.M.

            And in that moment, that small pocket of time that remains frozen in only their fond memories, Hyungwon and Minhyuk believe that anything should be possible.

            But that feeling doesn't last long. That's the difference between dreams and reality. One has to end and the other is a cruel awakening.

            They still try.

            Several passing weeks later though when they go through the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth to no avail it becomes frustrating to hold on to hope when there's no silver lining. The paper stars in the jar on Minhyuk's desk continues to grow in number and they have since lost track of the amount. Hyungwon estimates it to be about maybe sixty, Minhyuk insists it's at least double that. Neither have the will to count it though. It's become their way to comfort each other.

            And then by their seventh-

            "You got in?"

            Hyungwon presses his lips into a thin line. He doesn’t respond to Minhyuk's inquiry because it's written in black and white before their faces in his email on his laptop. The both of them are quiet as they reread the email from the company staff again and there is no mistake in the 'We are happy to congratulate you on your successful audition' and 'We hope to see you in person again to discuss the terms of a trainee contract.'

            "Hyungwon! You got accepted!" Minhyuk has two hands on his shoulders now and is shaking him slightly. His face beams pride and excitement as he jumps up and down in circles around Hyungwon's room.

            But Hyungwon sits statue still at his desk and looks as though he's eaten something disagreeable despite being the one to receive the good news.

            Minhyuk notices and gets annoyed, "You got in! Why aren't you happy dancing with me!?"

            Hyungwon finally stops glaring at his email and closes his laptop to look over at Minhyuk, who's now pulling at his left arm to get his attention. "Because you didn't get in."

            The upset tone of Hyungwon's words instantly fizzles Minhyuk's happy-go-lucky attitude. They stare at each other unsure where their boundaries stand at the moment. Minhyuk takes the leap in the dark first.

            "That's not really a good reason to not be happy over you getting in though." It's sincere, like Minhyuk always is, and Hyungwon feels something sink in his chest.

            "We practiced together, we put in the same amount of effort and hard work- It's not fa-"

            Minhyuk cuts Hyungwon off before the word 'fair' could slip his lips, "Sometimes we need to have more than just hard work."

            "Determination and hard work can go a long way too."

            "But it's only so far. Talent has to take you the rest of the way. Take the offer Hyungwon, you never know when you'll get another chance." There's a finality in the way Minhyuk talks and gives one final squeeze to Hyungwon's wrist before he let's his grip fall away.

            Hyungwon believes this isn't fair. Maybe his previous wish was screwed up, he wanted a dream to strive for but he didn't want to take Minhyuk's away.

            "Okay."

            That night though Hyungwon insists on coming over to Minhyuk's house again to commence their usual paper star folding. Minhyuk frowns slightly when Hyungwon brings it up and says, "But it's not necessary. We made them whenever we didn't pass an audition. Wouldn't you rather we went out to celebrate your pass instead?"

            "Absolutely not. It's practically tradition for us to fold paper stars after our auditions, don't mess with traditions Minhyuk," replies Hyungwon seriously. He leaves out the part where a celebration wouldn't be right since Minhyuk didn't pass his audition and how it just feels all wrong for him to celebrate without the latter receiving the same news.

            There's skepticism written all over Minhyuk's face but Hyungwon stands firm in his decisions.

            "You know…" Minhyuk starts. He knows what Hyungwon is thinking, understands him a little too well in this situation. "You don't have to. It's fine. I'm fine-"

            Hyungwon rolls his eyes, "If you're fine then shut up and invite me over tonight so we can fold those stupid paper stars like we always do."

            Minhyuk blinks, opens his mouth to retaliate but instead he just gives an airy laugh. He realizes he isn't going to win this one against Hyungwon. "Since you insist, come right on over then."

            That night Hyungwon uses all his wishes on his paper strips on Minhyuk. Unknown to him though, Minhyuk has done the same.

            I wish Hyungwon will have a successful debut –L.M.

            I wish Minhyuk will reach his dream –C.H.

 

☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆

 

            When Hyungwon signs his name on the contract, he signed away more than just his talents. He signed away his time, his privacy, his freedom, and his passivity.

            In the very far back of his mind he yearns for another one of those paper strips Minhyuk always carried around so he could wish that this kind of trade off will be worth it. He knows those papers don't have any real magic in it but it still brings him a sort of comfort to put down his wishes and fold them away. Hyungwon isn't sure when it happened, maybe it was the night he agreed to practice the routines with Minhyuk or when he agreed to try the auditions, but Minhyuk became his sense of normalcy so without the other present everything just seemed a tiny bit out of place. Hyungwon thinks maybe he'll get used to it and things will find their place again. It'll just take time. Until he realizes that it's hard to remember what he used to do without Minhyuk around all the time.

            Hyungwon ends up seeing Minhyuk less. Obviously. The only times they manage to see each other at all are in their dance class and the very occasionally rare weekend. They don't have the chance to walk home together anymore because the studio that Hyungwon has to go to after their class is in the opposite direction. It starts to become a little lonely. He misses being able to stop by shops to grab food with Minhyuk, misses practicing with Minhyuk until the sun set, misses being able to come over and hang out while folding paper stars, and for some reason most of all misses seeing Minhyuk's never ending wave directed towards him whenever he sees the other off at the bus station that he can no longer do.

            Minhyuk is everything encouraging though. But Hyungwon doesn't bring up anything about his trainee experience unless Minhyuk is the one to ask first. He doesn't want to accidentally come off as rubbing it into the other's face that he got in. It's a stupid insecurity because by now he knows that Minhyuk knows him well enough to know that he would never do that but he'd rather be safe than sorry.

            "So, wait, they signed you as a model too?" inquires Minhyuk as he folds another paper star. Hyungwon thinks he saw Minhyuk scrawl something along the lines of:

            I wish Hyungwon will teach me everything he learns at training –L.M.

            It was break time and Minhyuk decided to drag the both of them outside today claiming that he only sees Hyungwon inside the dance room and he demanded for a change of scenery.

            "Not exactly. I'm a trainee but modeling will just be a type of side job because they said I had the looks for it. You know that publicity stuff, getting exposure and whatever," replies Hyungwon vaguely as he puts his own freshly folded paper star into Minhyuk's pencil case. His wish being a plain:

            I wish I could get more sleep –C.H.

            Hyungwon stifles a yawn after, "We practice in the afternoon when I get there after class all the way until who knows what time in the morning. Vocal, rap, choreography, the usual basically, and then for model jobs we go to photo shoots or fashion shows and so forth whatever the company decides."

            "That's a lot to do," By now Minhyuk has finished his own star and leaned back against the wall of the school's building, "How are you holding up with everything?"

            Hyungwon shrugs, "It's not that bad. I signed up knowing that the training wasn't going to be a walk in the park. The lack of sleep though is probably the main thing killing me."

            "You do look exhausted," Minhyuk notes as he takes another concerned look at the noticeable circles under Hyungwon's eyes, "Maybe you should stay home this weekend and catch up on sleep instead of hanging out."

            Hyungwon doesn't respond for a second. Then he releases one of his typical long sighs and leans onto Minhyuk's shoulder. Minhyuk, who wasn't expecting it, stiffens up but Hyungwon slaps his thigh gently.

            "Relax," Hyungwon's voice was soft, almost sleepy as if he could nod off at any second, "I'm not dying just tired of holding my head up. We can still hang out don't worry about it."

            Minhyuk's muscles release their tension but he can't help but nudge Hyungwon slightly so the other's head slotted more comfortably against the crook of his neck, "You sound like you're about to pass out right now and you still want to hang out on the weekend? I think you should sleep."

            "I'll sleep at your house then," Hyungwon bargains even though he knows it's stupid.

            Minhyuk doesn't call him out on it like he was waiting for though. Just leans his head on top of Hyungwon's and says, "Forget it. I'll come over to your place and we can sleep there."

            Hyungwon hums in agreement to the plan. He likes the sound of it. The breeze picks up again and the cool air feels nice against their heated cheeks. It's nice. It's nice to be by Minhyuk's side again talking about whatever goes in and out of their heads. It's nice to have a friend be there for you; to have someone you can lean on figuratively and literally. It feels almost peaceful. Among the relative calm Hyungwon decides to throw his thoughts out there, "Do you miss how it was before?"

            "…Yeah," Minhyuk pauses and the corner of his lips quirk upwards just a fraction, "I thought I might have been the only one to miss it."

            "Don't be stupid."

            They share a quiet laugh under their breaths. A little something resembling relief makes their chests breathe a little easier as their amusement fades.

            "…You know," Minhyuk rubs his cheek against the top of Hyungwon's head as he readjusts himself, "I have another audition next week."

            Hyungwon doesn't move, doesn't react, just says, "Good luck."

            It's what Minhyuk wanted to hear most. The words hold every bit of hope that the both of them could possibly share.

            "Thanks."

 

☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆         ☆

 

            "Whoa! I didn't think you'd actually pick up!"

            "Minhyuk!?" Hyungwon gasps in a breath of shock at the familiar voice blasting through his phone's speaker. He was on the way home from the studio when he heard his phone ring, he assumed it was his one of his parents calling to check up on him so he picked it up blindly and to suddenly hear Minhyuk's voice out of all people threw him off unexpectedly.

            "Yeah," confirms Minhyuk nonchalantly, "Are you free right now?"

            "What-" To say Hyungwon was bewildered would be an understatement, "Minhyuk, it's three in the morning!"

            The line goes quiet and Hyungwon almost wonders if Minhyuk fell asleep until he hears a soft, "I know…"

            Hyungwon feels something off, worry begins to gnaw away at the recesses of his mind. He doesn't know if Minhyuk will answer but it's better than not asking at all. He knows his voice carries his worry aloud though and at least Minhyuk will be aware that he's concerned. "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

            Minhyuk ignores the questions entirely and asks, "Do you want to meet up?"

            Hyungwon is tired. His body aches from the constant dance practice, his throat is dry and sore from being used so much, he's also hungry since he had to skip lunch and dinner, and all he really wants in this moment is to go home and pass out in bed. But there isn't any hesitation when he tells Minhyuk, "Okay."

            "Where are you right now?"

            "I'm at the park on the corner ten minutes away from my home. Where are you?"

            "Just wait by one of the table benches at the park I'll be there in five minutes tops."

            Hyungwon rolls his eyes heavenward and takes a seat. "Five minutes Minhyuk. I'm timing you."

            Minhyuk doesn't respond just hangs up the phone leaving Hyungwon to only wait. By the time Hyungwon has finished watching an entire three and a half minute MV on his phone Minhyuk literally runs around the corner and crashes straight into him head first and arms open.

            Hyungwon is about to berate Minhyuk all the way until the sun rises for doing something so ridiculous and not to mention incredibly dangerous since it's dark out and the both of them could have easily fallen over and died given their luck. But then he feels Minhyuk's arms wrapped around him tightly and squeezing him until he can barely breathe and suddenly every annoyed reprimand he wants to screech directly into Minhyuk's ears is gone. Hyungwon doesn't say anything though, he waits. He waits because he knows Minhyuk probably has a lot to get off his chest and however long that takes Hyungwon will be ready to hear it.

            It takes only a few seconds for Minhyuk to catch his breath from running so far and the first thing out of his mouth is, "I'm jealous."

            "…Of?" Hyungwon prods when Minhyuk doesn't seem to want to elaborate.

            "You," Minhyuk squirms a bit at the confession but doesn't make any move to give Hyungwon any more personal space instead he rests the crown of his head in the center of Hyungwon's chest so he could speak clearer while he stares down at their shoes. "I'm jealous of you. That you passed an audition, that you're able to be a trainee and a part-time model. I’m jealous and I wish I wasn't but I am."

            There is a part of Hyungwon that understands Minhyuk's confession and he knows it's not something he can control and it's most definitely not something that Minhyuk can help either but the guilt washes over him like a chill in the night air. He doesn't know what he could possibly say to make Minhyuk feel better because there is nothing that Hyungwon could offer him that would even guarantee him what he wanted most of all.

            "I failed the audition again."

            That is the moment in which Hyungwon's heart drops to the floor and he rushes to pick up not his own but Minhyuk's because he sure as hell knows the other must have let it hit the ground bleeding and he has to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter