Final

Obvious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing that comes to your mind when you see a card with a little box of sweets is utter confusion. Then, it turns into embarrassment when you realise that it’s a confession of sorts. You’ve never really received one before, other than some flowers back from middle school. That doesn’t really count though, as you’re in high school now and it’s been years since you’ve been confessed to.

 

“Oho!” your best friend, Seungwan, peers over at your desk as she takes her seat beside you. “What’s that?”

 

You shrug, deciding that it must’ve been a mistake. A confession couldn’t have popped up out of nowhere. “I don’t know. Someone must’ve left it here by accident.”

 

Opening the card, you read its contents, but there isn’t any trace of a name. Instead, a short message is written there in neat handwriting which you swear you’ve seen somewhere before.

 

Hi, hope you have a great day today! Enjoy the sweets J -jm

 

There isn’t a trace of anything showing attraction from the card, and even if there was, you doubt it would be for you. Also, the initials JM at the bottom of the card, only narrow the choices down by a little. Even in your own class, there was Jimin, Junmyeon, Jungmin, and another Jimin. There were probably plenty more in the rest of the school.

 

“Are you sure? It looks like it’s for you.”

 

You shake your head vehemently and raise your voice, directed to the whole class. “Hey, did anyone misplace these?”

 

Your classmates take curious glances at the items in your hands before turning back to their own work. There are a few snickers here and there, but in the end, no one seems to be the owner of the gifts.

 

Getting a glimpse of Seungwan’s expression, you immediately defend yourself. “Hey! Maybe the person is just too shy to admit it.”

 

“So what are you going to do about it?”

 

“If no one really claims them, I guess I’ll have to eat the sweets,” you reply nonchalantly, stowing the treats below your desk. “I can’t possibly let these go to waste, right?”

 

Then, the bell rings and the teacher enters the classroom. As she starts talking and taking attendance, the gifts are already the least of your thoughts.

 

-

 

You shuffle out of the classroom with Seungwan, plopping a sweet into your mouth. You almost moan in delight at how rich and creamy the chocolate flavour is.

 

“Oh my gosh, you have to try this,” you stop your best friend and shove a piece into . The other students look at you curiously as they continue to walk. “Isn’t it good?”

 

“These taste expensive,” Seungwan comments. “But they’re too sweet. Not my style.”

 

“Really?” you ask, already chewing on another one. “Now that I think of it, this is actually my favourite brand! Wow, these are super expensive. I pity that JM guy for losing out on these.”

 

“What if they were meant for you?”

 

“Don’t be silly, Seungwan,” you laugh as the both of you part ways to your own lockers. “See you later!”

 

With a quick wave, she disappears among the students down the hall. You head to your locker, and are surprised with the sudden appearance of Junmyeon.

 

“Hi Junmyeon,” you chirp. “What can I help you with?”

 

He actually looks a tad flustered, and rubs the back of his neck. “Um, I was wondering if you were free during lunch.”

 

“Oh?” you raise a brow. Your heart flutters when you realise that it sounds like he’s going to ask you out. “I think I can make some time. Why?”

 

“I’m having some trouble with the Charity Dance thing. The Student Council meeting is in two days but I can’t really come up with any ideas.”

 

The fluttering dies down when you realise that it’s only for a student council thing. “Sure, Seungwan and I will join your table during lunch, if that’s okay.”

 

“Yeah, of course,” He grins and the fluttering returns. “See you!”

 

You smile to yourself, opening up your locker to find a note that was slipped inside. It had the same handwriting from earlier, and you’re curious to what it had written.

 

The sweets were meant for you! -JM

 

It’s a short letter, but the straight to the point. It answers your earlier questions, but it now raises another one. Who is JM and why is he giving you free chocolate? You shake your head, not coming up with any ideas at all.

 

Instead, you try to focus on calming down for the meet-up with Junmyeon during lunch. You’ve actually harboured a small crush on the said guy for a while now amidst the student council meetings and shared classes. The both of you grew much closer this year due to similar clubs and classes. The fondness for him was still small and you are trying your best not to indulge yourself any further.

 

Retrieving your books for the next class, you head to the chemistry lab which neither Junmyeon nor Seungwan take. In their place, you usually grouped up with Seulgi and Yixing. Seulgi is a close friend of yours and Seungwan’s while Yixing is in Junmyeon’s social circle.

 

When you reach, they are already there but both of them have weird looks on their faces. Seulgi looks absolutely excited while Yixing is hiding a grin. Curious as to why they are acting this way, you raise a brow at them.

 

Seulgi points to a small note left on the table.

 

Are you made up of Copper and Terullium?

 

You blink. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“Are you serious?” Seulgi looks at you in disbelief.

 

Yixing laughs openly at you and you cross your arms defensively. You try to make the gears in your brain turn but they seem to have run out of oil. Deciphering that note seems to be a real fail. All you can tell is that it was most probably written by JM, even though he didn’t leave his initials. You can recognise his (or her!) handwriting easily now.

 

“Copper… Terullium… Hmm,” you really think hard but still nothing comes up. You’ve always been bad in chemistry anyway. “I don’t get it. For real.”

 

Yixing claps his hands like a seal in full-out laughter, making you frown. “Why is this so funny? You guys know my chemistry is really weak, right?”

 

“Oh, nothing,” he wipes at a non-existent tear. “It’s just that you don’t get it. It’s a pick-up line.”

 

“A pick-up line?”

 

“Yeah,” Seulgi sighs, feeling quite frustrated at how dense you are. “What are copper and terullium in the Periodic Table?”

 

“Copper is Cu and terullium is, um,” you scratch the back of your head, ignoring how Yixing is snickering at you. “T? Te?”

 

“It’s Te. And what does that spell out?”

 

“Cu and Te, Cu and Te, um,” you stutter. “I still don’t get it.”

 

“Is your English weak too?” he chuckles.

 

“Well, excuse me, but just because you can speak a language other than your native tongue doesn’t make you a genius,” you huff. “Some people are just better at languages. And my English is perfectly fine! I’ve never failed an English exam before!”

 

“Then why can’t you figure this out?” Seulgi groans.

 

Suddenly, everything just clicks. It’s as if you’ve finally managed to complete the puzzle. “WAIT! Cu and Te spell out ‘cute’! I’m made out of Copper and Terillium so I’m cute!”

 

“Finally!” the two of your friends breathe out in relief.

 

“So this is a pick-up line? It seems kind of lame.”

 

Yixing mutters under his breath about how people don’t appreciate good puns anymore but you choose to ignore it.

 

“Who could this have been?” Seulgi voices out. “Yixing was the first one here and he said that it was already on the table.”

 

“It’s probably JM,” you answer nonchalantly. You see Yixing flinch from the corner of your eye. “That guy left sweets and a card on my desk this morning. I don’t even know why he’s doing this. He could be a she too, now that I think about it.”

 

“You got a confession?!” she squeals, grabbing your arm. “There are so many guys called JM though! I wonder which one he is.’

 

“Nah,” you wave her off without a thought. “It’s not a confession, I’m sure. Someone probably had leftover sweets and decided to give them to me because I have a sweet tooth.”

 

“Oh my gosh, you’re so dense,” Yixing buries his face into his hands. “This is a confession, believe me.”

 

You are adamant in being right. “I highly doubt Junmyeon or Jimin or the other JM people have a thing for me.”

 

He shakes his head in amusement. “You never know.”

 

“Spea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter