Fiction

Fiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t do this anymore,” you announced as you stared at your reflection in the mirror while the makeup guru caked your face with powder.

Oh, how much courage it took you to say it out loud.

“What do you mean you can’t?” your manager unnie asked, narrowing her eyes. 

“I don’t want to pretend to be dating Kris anymore,” you made clear.

The manager unnie motioned for the makeup artist to leave the room so that she could have a private conversation with you.  Your fist clenched.  You were tired, so tired of faking a relationship just for promotional purposes.  As soon as the makeup artist exited the room, your manager spun your seat around so that she could glare into your eyes.

“________ah, do you know what you’re saying?” she hissed.

“I do.  I don’t want to do this anymore,” you replied with a sigh. 

She gritted her teeth and spoke as a matter of fact, “Do you know how many actresses would die to be in your position?”

“No.  No, I don’t.  I don’t think any actress would want to be in my position,” you answered, your voice betraying your exhaustion. 

Your phone buzzed again.  Sighing, you flipped it over on the table, not bothering to even look at the notification.  It was probably another troll or sasaeng fangirl terrorizing your SNS.  As an actress you long grew numb to these situations, but this was different.  It was different because you felt cheated.  If you were in fact in a relationship with Kris then whatever, let those teenage girls spam your Instagram and Twitter with curses and criticism.  But it wasn’t like that.  It was never like that.

Damage control – they reasoned.  One night after filming, Kris and you went to grab a quick dinner before heading home.  Paparazzi had hidden in the bushes, followed you two, and manipulated picture angles to the point where you almost thought you had amnesia for not remember that you had kissed Kris on the lips that night.  Because you didn’t, you swore you didn’t.  But there it was – a picture right dab in the middle of the hottest gossip magazines. 

“Kris Wu YiFan and new actress _________ ________ caught dating,” the headline read. 

You rolled the magazine in your hands and threw it across the vanity.

“Just deal with it until after the drama finishes airing, ________ah,” your manager persuaded. 

Scoffing, you replied, “This is so ridiculous.” 

But, really was it that ridiculous?  Because you’ve pretended to be in a relationship with another actor before…it was just different this time…it was different because the male lead was Kris. 

“________ah!  The director asked if you were ready yet,” a staff asked, rushing you to the film set.

With a sigh, you nodded and followed her. 

As you walked toward the set, you realized Kris was already there.  He stood up straight with his hands in his pockets.  You didn’t understand how such a normal pose could spark such fire within you.  Kris was essentially perfect, whether it was his handsome face, his tall height, his polite mannerism, or his endless list of talents.  Walking toward him, you threw him a shy smile.

“Hey…” he greeted.

You opened your lips to respond but the director had already shouted, “ACTION!”

Immediately, Kris’ palm molded around the back of your neck.  With a quick , he pulled you into a deep kiss.  Your heart paced in lightni

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter