[One Shot] Lucky Beginning

Lucky Beginning

I’m deeply confused as to why my parents insisted me to come with them to their friend’s party. It is not that I don’t like parties, I do, but, a 75th birthday party. Seriously, all the guests there will be their age bracket. 50-year-olds to 75-year-olds, I swear, if I have to please an old gentleman, I just have to decline.

“But, you like parties, honey,” my mom retorted, as she was driving since my dad needed to get some sleep, “I remember that time when you were in 4th grade and you helped Granny and Grandpa to dance, and-”

And yes, the story goes on about how I was practically the kindest grandchild of the clan, helping on creating the most ‘extravagant’ 60th anniversary celebration of my grandparents. May God bless their souls on heaven above.

Anyway, we arrived at the place. It was a garden setting hall and obviously, I was right. A quarter of the guests are old people, and I’m starting to feel irritated. I just don’t like to mingle with them.

Most especially, when they start relaying the same old questions, “Oh you’re their child?”, “Are you in college?”, “How are your grades? Are you on the honor roll?”, and the never-ending, “So, when are you going to have a boyfriend?”

Seriously.

That last question ticks me every time. I just shifted from teen to adult, why are you prioritizing my love life when I’m not even pre-occupied about it?

I may have sounded indifferent to these gentle people but, I had enough.

“So, may we call on Mrs. Jung to start the dance, as we celebrate her 75th birthday!”

The host wasn’t also in his top condition. He pretended to smile, as I had observed and he wasn’t quite happy to be here, too.

Yet, when I saw Mrs. Jung and her husband, I seem to feel calm. More of, the sweetness heave up inside my chest, and started to wish to have a lover to hold me like that in the future. I’m sure they will dance the night away, as they were smiling each other. I bet they’re talking about beautiful memories that they had experienced in their past years of marriage.

“Oh, there you are,” I could hear my mom said.  I was about to tell her something inappropriate in front of many people, when I saw her pulling a young but tall boy beside her, “This is Jungkook. He’s the son of Mr. Jeon, the one who helped us at your grandparent’s anniversary? You know what, Jungkook, I was just talking about it to her earlier-”

Again, the sound of mom’s voice vanished as I looked at the younger guy from head to toe. The white suit made him look edgy and awkward, but the look on his face made me question if he is the same kid that I knew.

I do remember him. He was the little kid, 5 years younger than me, who asked if I can dance with him during that time. I remember I said no, but my parents told me to be nice to him, and I accepted. Then, he slow danced me and even gave a quick peck on the cheek before running towards his mom. My parents were teasing me all night long about it.

Talk about puppy love of fate.

Well, I couldn’t remember why we were the only one standing or when did my mom step aside to give us space. I just…

I was speechless.

“Hi, noona,” he smiled at me, “I know it’s been 15 years since our last dance, but, can I ask for one more tonight?”

A gesture of a hand, asking me if he can have the honor to dance the night, and an innocent smile to match the body language, all I could do was nod. As I took his hand, he softly pulled me to the dance floor, where we were the only younger ones surrounded by old couples.

It frightens me, well, the good kind. His hand on my waist, and his other holding me, pulling me as we glided around the floor, and at that moment, I was sure he didn’t want to let go.

“Noona, you’ve been awfully quiet,” he whispered, “Do I make you tense?”

“Um, no, Kookie,” I hastily replied.

“Aww, you remembered my nickname,” he giggled, “I thought you wouldn’t.”

The rush of blood to my face gave a hint of awkwardness to him. His reddish ears gave me the same feeling. I knew what was going on, as I could see our parents talking to one another. Yet, I wasn’t sure about the situation.

“Kookie, can we go somewhere?”

“Sure,” his blank expression was cute and he blinked a few times, “where do you wanna go?”

“Anywhere, even just outside, I feel a bit tired.”

Without anyone noticing, we were outside the hall and into the garden in a few minutes. I don’t know, but we just ran, and we were just laughing like idiots. We didn’t look back.

“So, when are you graduating?” I asked him. He held my hand and narrowed his eyes.

“By next year, then of course, I’m gonna help dad with the business,” he nodded, “But yeah, if there’s another opportunity for me, then I’ll just head to that.”

He went to the gazebo and I followed him, he just stared out of nowhere, maybe at the hall, where the jazz music was playing. He wasn’t looking at me, though. I thought of something to say to encourage him. Maybe even for a little.

“Well, as long as you’re happy,” I said, “It won’t matter, will it? I mean, it’s your life.”

That’s when he looked at me. His stare got me choked as it was firm and was giving signs of power.

“I…I want to go and do my thing, noona,” he sighed heavily.

“Then, do what you wanna do,” I said with a questionable look to him.

“Noona…”

“Yes, Jungkook?” I stood still, sort of waiting for him. He walked towards me.

“Call me Kookie,” he smirked, as he grabbed my waist, pulling me closer to him

“Fine,” I whispered and closed my eyes, “Yes, Kookie?”

He pulled me closer, and whispered.

“Do you know that I was the one who insisted to your parents to bring you tonight?”

I opened my eyes, looking at his closed ones. His breath, making the chilly breeze falter, touched my cheek.

“Jeon Jungkook…since when did you become a man?”

“Since I saw you when I was a kid,” he teased, “I just knew. It’s you.”

I laughed at the statement. A kid making his smooth moves to me really seemed off yet, complete.

“Also, I asked them if I could date you, noona.”

“Woah, wait. What?” I tried to push him, yet, he was stronger and kept me locked inside his arms.

“So, noona? Can we have a date?”

“Only if you stop teasing me. Like…right now.”

He chuckled in embarrassment, and kissed my forehead. Yet, I did expect that he was going for my lips after that, and I responded happily.

I didn’t know how lucky I was to have this kind of beginning to happen.

And in an old lady’s birthday party.