Lips

Holding Onto You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The little boy was around the next morning during breakfast, looking very sour. Haneul who felt much better after talking to Myungsoo the night before tried to appear cheerful but the boy kept on glaring at her. Myungsoo on the other hand was eating like he didn't eat for a week.

                The old lady spoke, "Nam-gil, don't forget what I told you."

                The boy grunted and quickly finished his food before running away, making his grandmother sighed. Haneul told her she was already feeling better and asked her not to worry about it but the old lady still looked troubled. After breakfast, they followed her around the village to her farms. She said she couldn't find anyone who needs help for their farms and felt really guilty towards them. Myungsoo comforted her and said that it was okay and offered to help her for meals and a place to stay for another day. She seemed regretful yet agreed in the end.

                Their job revolved around the rice fields, to clear the field and begin planting the seedling. Everything was still done by hands since it was a small village. Myungsoo and Haneul get down to it, pulling weeds and treading through the water until their limbs ached. However the old lady and the other farmers were working while laughing and telling stories, as if not affected by the work. Haneul could only stare in admiration.

                They were let off early so they hurried home and Myungsoo who was exhausted lied down on the pyungsang under the tree and closed his eyes. Haneul sat down next to him, feeling kind of sleepy too.

                "The ahjummas are really something..." she said, looking up the sky through the leaves.

                "Yes..." Myungsoo said, laughing weakly.

                "I wonder if I will become a strong ahjumma too."

                He laughed again, "What is that..."

                "Myungsoo, do you wonder about the future?"

                "Future..."

                "Like, what will happen in 5 years? Can you think of it?"

                Myungsoo didn't reply immediately. He opened his eyes and took a deep breath as he stared at the tree branches. "I don't like thinking about future. I thought of it before but was betrayed by it. So I am just living for today to go on to tomorrow."

                Haneul hugged her knees, wondering about his words. "Then, you don't have dreams?"

                "I just want to be happy."

                "Be happy..."

                "That's what important, right? And whatever that makes you happy today doesn't mean it will make you happy tomorrow. So, I don't think it is worth to think about."

                "But doesn't that mean... Myungsoo's happiness is just about yourself...?"

                Myungsoo fell silent. Haneul was right, he thought. All this while he was only thinking about living for the day. He didn't really have anything specific to look forward to in life. He sometimes thought that he would rather be alone, but since Haneul came, he began to realise how he was aching for someone's warmth. Each day seemed to be more eventful and he began to think about someone else besides himself. He realised this was also happiness - given by the presence of someone. Haneul's presence.

                She spoke after a long silence, "Well, dreams are just dream, right? There's no use holding onto it. Dreams could be hope but dreams could be nightmare too... And happiness, well..."

                Myungsoo considered her words, somehow feeling guilty as if he had brought the mood down. He smiled weakly, "I am happy with Haneul."

                "With me?" she asked, surprised and turned to face him.

                "Un. So although it's not a far future, isn't it okay to look forward to tomorrow because you're here?" he said, smiling at her. He smiled even wider to see her confused face. "So my happiness now includes you."

                "What does that mean..." she asked, tilting her head. Myungsoo closed back his eyes and smiled to himself. "Yah, what does that mean...!" she asked louder.

                "I am going to dream now," he said, holding back his laugh and turning away to lie down on his side.

                "I hope you get nightmares then..." she muttered, causing him to laugh. Then he fell quiet and when Haneul checked on him, he really did fall asleep! Haneul pouted and lied down on the empty spot on the pyungsang next to him.

                It had been a while since she lied down beside him. His hair seemed to have gotten longer and his neck had turned a bit dark from the farm work. Due to the work as well, his shoulders looked somehow larger. He was snoring softly, probably because of exhaustion. Myungsoo had been working hard, even doing her parts. Whatever he said wasn't able to erase the guilt she felt after all.

                "I hope you won't get nightmares..." she said under her breath. Her eyes were getting heavy but her mind was still processing what Myungsoo said to her so she ended up falling in and out of sleep. But when Myungsoo suddenly turned around to face her, she was finally wide awake. He was still sleeping soundly. His face was calm, and his lips were slightly parted. This wasn't the first time Haneul had been in this situation since they were always sleeping next to each other at the bathhouse but somehow it made her heart raced. Was it because she knew him better?

                Haneul's eyes kept on staring at his lips and her hand just moved on its own before her finger slightly tapped his bottom lip. His lip felt dry and her finger was gently rubbing it. She didn't know what she was doing or even what she wanted to do but she couldn't stop. Since she was so absorbed in staring at his lips, she didn't realise that Myungsoo had woke up and was staring at her, with his eyes hooded from sleepiness. Her heart jumped when he grabbed her wrist.

                "Haneul...?"

                She gasped and freed herself immediately. Forgetting that she was on the pyungsang, she pushed herself away from him, just to roll over and fall down from the pyungsang onto the ground. Myungsoo sat up immediately to see Haneul who had fell down on her back. Her eyes were wide, staring at the sky.

                "Are you alright?!" he jumped down from the table, to help her up. "Are you hurt anywhere? Is your back okay?"

               Haneul who was still frozen wanted to say she was okay but instead, her eyes became blurry as she became tearful. Myungsoo was even more panicky but she quickly rubbed her eyes. "I'm okay! I am just shocked. Hahahahahaha. Oh no, I should change clothes. Hahahahahaha."

                "Are you really okay? Your face is red..." he said, looking really worried that Haneul felt sorry.

                "I'm okay! I will go inside now. Hahahahahaha," she said, getting up without his help and quickly ran inside the house, leaving Myungsoo who was still confused behind. Inside the house, Haneul cursed and congratulated herself for successfully embarrassing herself. She didn't come out of her room until the old lady came home, avoiding Myungsoo. When she saw him, she remembered how she was touching his lips and getting caught by him. She was silent during dinner but inside she was screaming out of embarrassment. Somehow she managed to avoid talking to Myungsoo the whole evening until the next morning.

                Haneul was made to stay at home because Myungsoo told the old lady how she fell. Although she felt awful, she took the chance to avoid him even more. However, staying at the house alone was pretty boring once she was done with the chores. She sat down on the pyungsang, reflecting herself.

                Why did I touch his lips?

                You pabo.

                "ARGH PABO LEE HANEUL YOU PABO!" she screamed, throwing tantrum on her own. When she had finally calmed down, her heart jumped again when Myungsoo's voice rang.

                "I'm home..."

                She wanted to run but Myungsoo kept on staring at her as he sat down next to her. "I'll get you something to drink." 

                "Oh, it's okay. I have my tea here," he said, showing his flask.

                "Oh okay." Haneul did a mental countdown to calm herself down again.

                "Are you feeling better?"

                "Eh?"

                "Yesterday you said you were okay but you were silent the whole evening. It must have hurt, right?" he said, with sorry face. "Your is okay?"

                She blushed and looked away. "They're okay..."

                "I see... Well, don't force yourself. There isn't much work at the field anyway so I think we better leave tomorrow to not burden halmeoni."

                His tone seemed solemn, gaining her attention. She turned to speak but then the boy came around, standing in front of them. He was glaring but was also looking like he wanted to say something. Then he bowed deeply, surprising Haneul.

                "I am sorry," he said, loudly. When he raised his head again, his ears turned red because Haneul was smiling so widely at him. He frowned and looked sideways. "I am sorry I splashed water at you and called you ugly."

                "It's okay," she said, still smiling. "Thank you for taking care of us these few days."

                He seemed surprise and sniffled, "Y-yeah... Um

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter