01. Responsibilities

In Another Life

She walked into the entrance of Lee Coorporation with composure, her clean steps sharply hitting the marbled floor. She was wearing a dress that was distinctly Yves Saint Laurent, complemented with a shoulder bag that was sent from the creative director of Gucci. The women's aura oozed with professionalism, and anyone could tell she was to be treated with the upmost respect. 

"Miss Lee." 

The woman turned around to be greeted by her secretary, Do Kyungsoo. He was followed by an array of men. Her eyes were indifferent as she scanned the strangers.

"These are the possible contenders for our 2020 Mass Media Collaboration. They came to see the-"

"I thought I asked you not to bother me until 10."

The women's face did not change as she turned around to press the button of the elevator. 

"Of course. But they are important guests, and President Lee emphasized that he would like you to tour them around our-"

"Why, is Chief Park not here?"

"He is, but due to the special request of President-"

The women eyed the awkwardly standing men. "You seem to be doing fine. You do it." 

"Miss Lee, they were special requests-"

The women ignored him and the murmuring businessmen and stepped into the glass elevator. She pressed the sleek button for the 25th floor and waited. The doors slid closed and she was soon no longer seen by the visitors. After staring straight at the closed doors, Secretary Do turned and faced the audience with a tight-lipped smile. 

"Should we continue our tour?"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As the doors opened, the 26-year old heiress of Lee Coorporation walked out and was greeted by a series of Hello's. She walked up to Secretary Yoon's desk, who smiled politely as a greeting.

"Where's Manager Kim?" The heiress asked.

"Ah yes, he should be in his office. But," Secretary Yoon fiddled with her computer screen. "He's due for an meeting with CBG Industry in twenty minutes. Should I tell him you're here?"

Shaking her head once, the woman promptly headed for Kim Manager's office room, her Gucci heels sharply turning the corners. When she reached the door, the woman, without knocking, pressed the button that slid the door open. As she walked in, she was welcomed to a startled but handsome man trying to tie his tie.

"Jieun-noona?"

"Yah, Kim Taehyung! You have a meeting right now!" 

The once stoic face of the heiress changed, fondly scolding the young man. 

"I know, I know! I just can't get my tie on..." Her childhood friend said exasperatedly as he continued to fiddle around with the expensive cloth around his neck. The heiress sighed and walked over, grabbing his shoulders so that he was facing her. She undid the poorly-done knot, and proceeded to expertly tie the necktie around.

"How many times, Tae. You're never going to get married at this point. Who would want to get married to a man who can't even tie their own tie?" Jieun smirked, laughter dancing in her eyes.

"Stop it! I told you, in kdramas wives love tying their husband's ties," Taehyung countered, although even he knew it was weak comeback. 

"Well I'm not your wife, nor do I plan to ever be. So you better start practicing," Jieun finished, patting his suit down. The young man answered with a thankful smile. "Anyways, what's the meeting about?"

"For MMC 2020. CBG wants to sponsor us this year, but we all know that they just want to mooch off of our name brand."

Jieun scrunched her nose, somehow still looking elegant. "That's annoying."

Taehyung snorted. "That was an intelligent response."

"I mean, it's true that they do need a strong backing, but I heard that their advertising platforms are being really effective. Something about a popular kpop boy group being their spokesperson or something. That's good. We need the attention from the younger generation." Jieun said as she tried to calm down her friend's hair. "Try to do well, alright?"

Taehyung snorted again. "What am I, in elementary school?" He swatted her hand away and walked over to the mirror, attempting to fix it himself. "By the way, I heard Vice President Kang releasing something to the press today."

"Really? What's it about?" Jieun furrowed her delicately trimmed brows. She hadn't heard about anything soon. 

 "Some announcement President Lee's making soon. I don't actually know much about it either, other than that it's--and I quote from Secretary Kang--going to change the future of Lee Corp. drastically'." Taehyung shrugged. "I thought you would know. I mean, isn't it kind of important that the heiress of Lee Corp. knows what's going to 'change the future of her company drastically?'"

Jieun looked outside the window, emptily staring at the beautiful view of Seoul. "I'm not surprised. You know how my relationship with Father is." She sighed, the mood in the room much heavier. Like a family, she scoffed. Her father kept their relationship strictly for business, and tried to avoid having any direct contact with her. Ever since she was young, she remembered a man who was away for work, and even when he was home, he was distant, his mind distracted with work. She knew that in the bottom of their hearts, they loved each other, but it seemed almost forced.

"--okay, Noona?" Taehyung's deep voice snapped her out of her trance, and she blinked. "What?" She asked sheepishly.

"I said, I'm going to the conference now. If you're free tonight let's go get dinner at this new restraunt I found. I heard Chef S.L  just opened a new pasta place in Gangnam, and it took me a week to reserve a spot." The man looked at her expectantly, his face saying that he wasn't going to take "No" for an answer. Jieun sighed again.

"Fine. I have a couple business offers that I have to deal with, anyways." She frowned, already thinking about all those boring meetings that were in front of her.

"Great, Noona! I promise, it's going to be the best pasta you've had for ages." Taehyung smiled widely. Jieun sighed, getting ready to leave the room and start with her work day. 

Sadly, they wouldn't end up getting dinner together. In fact, at the time they were supposed to be at the reservation, Jieun was busy running away.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________