Chapter 9

Goldfish

As my eyes got used to the brightness, the silhouette became clearer. It was Mrs Kester with her arms folded, waiting for us.

But how could this be? We were literally climbing step by step up and down the stairs, how did we end up back here?

"If I could escape from here, I'd have already done so 5 years ago," Mrs Kester sighed as her eyes met my perplexed gaze.

"How long have we been climbing for?" Sooyoung panted.

Everyone stopped to catch their breath, we were feeling hot and sweaty, exhausted and giddy from this workout.

I took a look at my watch, we were left with 15 minutes to the next blackout.

"About half an hour?" I replied "We should head back to the cafeteria and hydrate ourselves too."

We started strolling back to the cafeteria, slouching.

"Come on guys! We can't give up yet! At least we know what's going on and have a safe hiding spot now," Sunny tried to cheer us up but it was evident that all of us were both mentally and physically exhausted.

After getting some water to cool ourselves down, Yoona needed the toilet and so I accompanied her. The music had started playing so we had to make it quick!

Luckily, the toilet was empty as everybody had rushed off to the hall. I glanced at my watch after washing my face with some water.

"3 more minutes till the blackout?!" I yelled out unknowningly.

Time really flies, no matter what.

Yoona stumbled out of the cubicle the moment she heard that.

We had to go now and fast!

We made a run for the cafeteria and just as we reached the cafeteria door behind us, it turned totally pitch black. I froze.

Are we going to get caught?

"Quick! It will take some time before the guards make their way here!" Yoona whispered as she felt around for the handle to open the door and we tiptoed in, forcing our eyes to get used to the sudden darkness.

The rest were already climbing into the air vent and beckoned us to be quick. I let Yoona climbed up first and she tried to do so as quietly as possible. Suddenly, I heard faint footsteps sound approaching the cafeteria.

They heard it too. Yoona started to panick! She quickly got in and held out her hand to me, urging me to take her hand.

But I couldn't... There was not enough time for me to climb up without getting seen!

I shook my head and signalled for Yoona to cover the airvent but she refused. Sunny's head popped out from the other side of the hole and she mouthed, "what the hell are you thinking! Come up now!"

No! I couldn't risk my friends' life for mine!

Just as we were contemplating and arguing in our minds, the door creaked open. My eyes widened.

"Oh my, why is it so dark?" A voice came from behind the door as it opened.