Amnesia

Amnesia

I remember the day you told me you were leaving
I remember the make up running down your face
And the dream you left behind you didn't need them

Yuri’s POV

"Yuri I will let go of you ...” I swallowed the vanilla ice-cream that was melting in my mouth as the love of my life decided to cut straight at my heart on our fancy date. I looked at her like she was a mathematical question trying to figure out what went wrong. Me being a photographer and her being a model did not cause us any problem before, in fact it only brought us closer. My friend had told me many times that my aloofness may ended up giving us troubles but I didn’t pay much attention to it since she didn’t seem to mind. But that doesn’t mean we never fought because of it, in fact we fought a lot but she always ended up coming back all the time so I never thought that it was a big deal. I put my hand in my pocket and instead of pulling it out, I sank the engagement ring further into it. Today was supposed to be special, after the fancy date, we were supposed to visit the art museum that we first met. I took my eyes off of my soon to be ex-girlfriend and paid attention to the wine glass instead. I picked it up and took a taste, the sweet wine had turned bitter.
“You don't seem to care if I'm here or not anyway.” From the corner of my eye, she grabbed her handbag and got up from the chair. She looked at me for a while as if waiting for me to say anything back to her but the wine glass seemed more interesting tonight. As soon as she walked out of the door, the tear that was threaten to fall moment ago finally came out. There were a lot of thought running through my head, maybe she finally had enough. She wasn’t supposed to be walking away like that, we weren’t supposed to end up like this. I had a lot of things that I wanted to say to her but as a person with a few words, I couldn’t manage to let any of it out.

I'm sorry, I couldn't be the kind of person that you wanted me to be.

I love you, please don't go.

We can't let go this easily.

The waiter came up to me seeing how sad I was. He thought I should know that the lady that got up from the table had left and he didn’t think that she would come back. I chuckled at his innocence, he obviously had never been dumped before. I told him to bring me the bill before started dialing my friend’s number. It didn’t take long and she answered right away.
“Are you on your way here?” Taeyeon said excitedly. Well she should be, her best friend was supposed to be engaged today. Unfortunately, I fell for dropping her the sad news.
“Can you tell the people at the museum to take everything down? We won’t be there at all. Jessica broke up with me.” What I heard next was the loudest sigh that I heard coming out of Taeyeon’s mouth. She consoled me and offered us to go for a drink instead. Thank god, alcohol did sound so good. I took her on the offer before leaving a huge tip for the innocent waiter and wished him to never get dumped.

"! Stupid alarm clock.” I cursed at my phone as I pressed the snooze button on it. A droplet of water fell on my hand as I sat up on my bed. I touched my face to see what was wrong and as usual my face was wet. It had been two months now. I dreamt about her every night, and every morning I would wake up with my face all wet from all those crying in my sleep.

Like every single wish we ever made
I wish I could wake up with amnesia
And forget about this stupid little things
Like the way it felt to fall asleep next to you
And the memories I never can escape

I looked at the other side of my king size bed, the place where she used to sleep. I admitted that I wanted to run back to her a hundred times a day but one thing that kept holding me back was the fact that she was the one who let go of me. I couldn't bring myself to hold on to her when she was not at all happy being with me. We communicated once in a while and every time we talked, she had shown me again and again that she had moved on.

It’s like we never happened, was it just a lie? If what we had was real, how could you be find?
Cause I'm not fine at all

“Hello? Oh Tae ... yeah I'm on my way. Be there in 10 minutes.” I bid goodbye to Taeyeon as I hung up my phone. I had to get these things off my mind and got to work before my best friend kill me. We were partner as both of us studied photographer together and started our own studio. I rushed into the bathroom to clean myself and quickly got dress before driving my car as fast as I can to get there in time for my next shoot.

"Finally you're here.” Taeyeon said as she was walking around with an iPad in hand. I sat myself on the sofa of our office to catch my breath a little. She walked up to me and showed me the cover shoot that I was scheduled to do today.
“Can't you just stand in for me?” I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice. It was not a selfish respond since both of us had covered each other all the time. Our skills weren’t that much different from each other and our clients were just glad to have us working on their projects.
“You know I would but the client had made sure that she wants you.” Taeyeon replied wiggled her eyebrows a little teasing me. Judging from her reaction, I knew immediately who she was hinting to.
“Let me guess, it's HyunA again.” She laughed, of course who else could it be? HyunA’s father was the owner of a big fashion company. She had always been famous at our school because everyone knew what she was going to be after graduation and not long after she became the president who worked under no one but her father only.
“Well you already know. You have a lot of fans but that one is your super fan.” Taeyeon replied as she gestured to the row of magazine that were neatly display on the office wall, there were various companies’ but more than a half of them were HyunA’s company’s.
“More like a crazy fan.” I replied sarcastically. Even though she was very beautiful and famous and a lot of people were trying to get her attention, she always had eyes on me. Well I used to have a girlfriend so it was like I had a shield against her but now that I’m single, there was no way I could run away from her.
“Well even though she's a bit crazy but her company is big and she pay us a lot of money so just hang in there, buddy.” I slumped my shoulder tiredly on the sofa, can I just get back to sleep?
“Seriously Tae, stop joking and let's get to work.” I said too much headache to function. My best friend looked at me more than annoyed.
“Geez say the one who have just arrived 5 minutes before her own appointment.” She threw a pillow at my face and walked back to her desk.
“At least I'm still early, so who's the model?” I replied putting the pillow back to where it was and tidied it up, our studio should look presentable at all time.
“HyunA told me that it's a surprise.”
“What's she getting at this time?” I was too lazy to be in her game. Taeyeon didn’t answer instead she picked up her phone that was beeping hinting a text had come in. “Tiffany just texts me that she's your model for today ... wait oh no…” Taeyeon put her hand on after realizing what HyunA had done. Tiffany was Taeyeon's girlfriend and Jessica's best friend. The two of them had been known as a duo. Simply because they were like a K-pop duo group, if you want one of them, you had no choice but to get two. They will never work apart from each other.

After putting my fear aside and discussing the shoot with Taeyeon, we made our ways into the shooting room, and there she was sitting so beautifully while the makeup artists were busy finishing her makeup and hair. Our eyes met and as if it was a game, none of us bothered to look away.

“Yuri !!!” I snapped back when I felt that one of my arm gotten pulled into a hug. Even when HyunA clung on to me like a koala, I still kept our eyes contact until she pulled away first. For a brief second, there seemed to be a hint of jealousy in her eyes.
“Hello HyunA ssi.” I greeted her as I tried to get her hands off of my arm, yet she didn’t even budge.
“What's with the ssi part? I told you to talk to me informally.” She pouted trying to act all cute in front of me and as usual I smiled uncomfortably. That pout was not as cute as Jessica’s.
“I have to be professional when I'm working.” I gave her an excuse even though I had no intention of speaking informal to her anytime soon.
“Oh well then let's go on a date after this so that we can be more comfortably with each other.” She said almost too excitedly. I pulled away from her completely at this point and turned to Jessica’s direction. She kept her attention on the makeup artist and made no indication that she was going to turn it back to me.
“Hmm I don't think I can.” I replied slowly trying to think of an excuse.
“Why? Taeyeon told me that today you have only one shoot today.” I glared at my best friend secretly while cursing at her in my head. She didn’t even glance at my direction, busy whispering sweet nothing into her girlfriend’s ear, ignoring the fact that she had dug a deep grave for me.
“Let's wait until the shoot is finish first.” I replied back giving her hope.
“Okay I'll be waiting.” She said joyfully and before I knew it, she pecked my left cheek just in time when Jessica was taking a peek at us, she turned back quickly suggesting that she had seen it. I was panicking when I realized. Well why should I care? It's not like she would get hurt anyway.

After the shoot was finished, I sighed in relief when I finally got out of the date with HyunA by faking sick and thank to whatever happened at her company that needed her to go back immediately. I walked up to my probes and started cleaning my camera.
“I thought you already left for you date.” I turned my head to the familiar voice, Jessica had changed back into her normal clothes. She wore a blue jeans and a white T-shirt that tugged neatly inside it. I turned back to the camera before she realized I was checking her out.
“It was canceled.” I replied trying to controlled the happiness in my voice. I didn’t want her to know that I was happy to be talking to her.
“Why?” She asked. I smiled she was always worse than me at hiding her emotion. She sounded like she was relief.
“Why do you care?” I asked trying to sound annoyed through my curl lips to a little.
“I don't. I thought maybe we could go on a double date since I will go out with Taecyeon later.” Our little teasing game didn’t go too well when she brought in the name of the male model who was famously being link to her ever since we were broken up. Her fans were overjoy thinking that Jessica was indeed straight and she had decided to date a guy instead of me and I too believed that rumor.
“Too bad then, enjoy your date.” I said still trying to hide my sadness. I didn’t wait for her to say anything else and took my leave without bidding goodbye to her. I walked down to the parking lot and got inside my car. I wanted to get a drink with my best friend but she still had many shoot and she would want to spend time with Tiffany after, so I didn’t want to disturb her. Before I could drive off, Taeyeon called and asked where I was. She kept insisting on making me stay saying that Tiffany wanted to hang out with me and maybe I could get on better term with Jessica but I declined and told her what happened between me and her earlier. She finally let me go and said that we would have a drink later that night. I thanked her and began to take off. I was driving when the radio started playing the song Amnesia by 5SOS and the lyrics had my mind fly away as my heart was crying along with it. Because I got lost in the song and I wasn’t paid enough attention to the road, I failed to notice a big truck coming right at me. I closed my eyes as I felt the strong impact as the big car collide with mine.

Author's POV

Two figures were standing in front of the bed where Yuri lied unconsciously. Taeyeon was walking back and forth, she couldn’t believe that something like this could happen. If she had known, she would have asked Yuri to stay at the studio instead of letting her driving home alone. White the white coat figure standing next to her, acted opposite of her. She made no movement and kept her eyes on Yuri and the chart in her hand.

“Soo, are you sure that she will wake up?” Taeyeon asked the tall girl who was looking all serious and it started to scare her.
“Of course, Tae. Yuri is very strong so we have to trust her.” Sooyoung replied, Yuri was both lucky and unlucky at the same time. The track hit her pretty hard and even though she had no physical injury, she had injured her head.
“How could she drive so carelessly? How could she get in an accident because of that stupid girl?” Taeyeon said angrily, she had stopped pacing and dropped herself down on the chair beside Yuri’s bed.
“Tae don't be so rude, Jessica already explained to us that she just used Taecyeon's name to make Yuri jealous. She didn't mean for this to happen and she still love her.” Sooyoung tried to calm her best friend down. Taeyeon was a bit unfair, Jessica was as devastated as them when she heard the bad news. Moreover, she must be blaming herself more than Taeyeon did.
“Whatever she said, I don't care.” Taeyeon replied sharply which only scared Sooyoung who didn’t utter another word to her.
“Hmm where am I?” Due to their earlier conversation being a little loud, Yuri had woken up. She rubbed her eyes a little hard and started to whine due to the pain. Hearing Yuri’s not so soft scream made Taeyeon rushed to her side.
“Yuri, are you okay?” Taeyeon asked hoping her best friend would feel better but the tan girl’s confused eyes made her worry.
“Yuri? Who is Yuri?” She asked putting her hands confusingly on her head. She looked around like a lost kid. Sooyoung who had been watching Yuri’s reaction for a while walked toward her and examined her condition. Honestly judging from Yuri’s injured head, she had expected something worse.
“Yuri, your name is Yuri. Do you remember what happened?” She asked her patient hoping to get something out of her.
“I ... ah ... I don't, wait what's wrong with me? Who are you guys?” The tan girl started panicking when she failed to remember any of the people that were in the room with her. Seeing her condition, the tall doctor started calling back up for the nurse to come in the room.
“Yuri calm down, listen to me I'm Sooyoung and this is Taeyeon. We are your best friend and I'm also a doctor.” Sooyoung said trying to calm her down as Taeyeon stood still too shock to see her dear best friend not remembering them.

Yuri’s POV

It was one week ago when I woke up in this hospital. Since then I had learnt that I was a photographer and I had two best friends, one who had the same job as me and another who was my doctor. I also learnt that I lost my memory after I got into a car accident. Even though it was a lot to take, the fact that I didn’t remember anything about my life before the accident seemed to put me at ease, it felt as if I was trying to forget something and I finally did.

“Hello I'm Gyuri, I'm your nurse for today.” I turned my head to the door and was greeted by a very beautiful girl dressed in a uniform. She smiled shyly at me before making her way inside.
“Hello I'm Yuri or at least that's what I was told.” I smiled back at her and introduced myself. I had been here for a week and even though I had met many of the nurses, I had never seen this girl name Gyuri.
“Haha you are very funny, Yuri. Anyway I have something for you.” She laughed generously at my lame joke before handing me a purse. I took it from her and examine it closely, it seemed like a normal purse but for some reasons I didn’t seem to like it very much. It was probably a gift from someone that I didn’t get along with.
“The police said that after the investigation, they found this and they think it was yours.” Gyuri said hesitantly, she probably noticed my dislike toward the item. I flashed a smile at her reassuring that I was fine before putting the purse down on my leg.
“Even if it's mine, I wouldn't be able to remember it anyway. But thank you for delivering it.” She smiled back and turned to the table in front of my bed and started pouring me a glass of water. She handed it to me before putting a note on the small table.
“You’re very welcome, I'll be going now. Feel free to call me if you need anything.”
She bid goodbye to me before making her way out of the door. I picked up the note that she left and there as I expected was her phone number. I pulled out the drawer and put it on the top of the other numbers that I got from the other nurses as well. Even though I wasn’t planning on calling any of them, I thought it would be polite to keep their sweet notes. I stared at the purse on my lap for short amount of time figuring if I should open it. In the end my curiosity got the best of me. I unlocked the snap of the purse and started examine the content. Inside were some money, my ID, driver license and some business cards. I didn’t find anything interesting until I pulled out a photo of a beautiful woman. I didn’t recognize her yet there was an uneasy feeling inside me. I tried to ignore the feeling and put it back in the purse but instead of went back inside the photo dropped and landed on its back, written on it were ‘Jessica, my love’.

“Hey Yuri, how are you today?” I startled by Taeyeon’s voice that came out of nowhere. I looked up to see her walking through the door with food container in hand. She put it on the table and started unfastening the strap.
“I'm fine, hey can I ask you something? Is this really my purse?” I asked as I picked it up for her to see. She took it in her hand and looked at it clearly. It seemed like she didn’t have good eyesight, that would explain her wearing glasses when she came in sometime.
“Yes that's yours, how did you get it? I thought you lost it in the accident.” She asked handing it back to me.
“The nurse gave it to me and I found this photo in it. Who is this lady? Is she my girlfriend?” I asked excitedly, did I really have a girlfriend? If so, how come she never visited me? She cleared awkwardly as if to get rid of her nonexistent itchiness.
“She is someone you wish to never remember” I chuckled
“I guess wishes really do come true huh.” I joked as I put the photo back in my purse. But for some reasons, I didn’t felt that it was funny. I felt sadness deep in my heart. Taeyeon seemed to know from my confused face. She sat on the chair beside me and put her hands on mine petting them slightly.
“But if you really want to know, I can tell you all about her.” She said
“What is the point? I have given up remembering since Sooyoung said my memory is gone forever since I was diagnosed with permanent amnesia.” I replied bitterly, maybe it was for the best.

Goodbye Jessica, whoever you are ...