morning view [pt .5] + author's note

morning enigma
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s sat on the edge of her bed, toying with the ends of an old blanket. Yoojung’s state of mind is dazed, she’s distracted; with only one thing in her mind.

 

“Wow Yoojung–” Yeunjung’s voice interrupts her thoughts as she peeks her head through Yoojung’s doorway. “–your room is huge.” she says, matter-of-factly.

 

“Hm, not really.” Yoojung replies, her voice a bit hoarse from the dryness that willed .

 

“It’s definitely a lot bigger than any of the rooms we have.” Mina chimes in, sitting next to Yoojung causing the brunette’s bed to dip in slightly.

 

“Yeah– actually, maybe my room’s just tiny or something.” Yeunjung hums, dropping her sleeping bag and other essentials next to where Sohye and Mina had theirs; in the corner of Yoojung’s bedroom. “I’ve got to admit,” she paused. “I didn’t expect your room to look like this– at all.”

 

An almost inaudible laughter left Yoojung’s lips, it was closer to maybe a snicker. “What?” she smiled, showcasing her crescent shaped eyes. “plain? or empty?”

 

“Maybe a little bit of both.” Yeunjung replies with a warm smile.

 

Yoojung hums as a response, “I never really had interests in painting my room pink or sticking a whole bunch of posters of boys on my wall.” She makes a face, her nose scrunching up slightly at the thought. “I like to keep things simple.”

 

 

It’d been approximately two and a half months since Yoojung had moved to Seoul, and approximately two months since she’d met her new friends. Approximately two months since she’d seen her.

 

She’d gotten comfortable with the four girls that to her, it was almost a unbelievable concept. Yoojung would come to visit Jieqiong at her cheerleading practices after school along with Mina, as well as volunteer alongside Sohye at her parent’s animal shelter. They also would attend Yeunjung’s performances at the cafe she worked at, catching a few glances from boys that only Sohye and Mina seemed to appreciate. It was strange to think about how she’d gotten so close to the girls at such a short amount of time, but it felt like they all had a connection; and it felt like being friends with one another felt just right.

 

It’d approximately been two months since she’d seen her. Kim Doyeon, the girl who rode bus four, and sat on row two, but never by the window– always by the walkway. It’d been two months and all Yoojung managed to do was sit farther up front to catch a better glance at Doyeon. It was strange, yes– but Yoojung still has a hard time talking to new people that even a simple ‘hello’ can turn into a disaster.

 

“Hey.”

 

Yoojung blinks her eyes, everything is slightly blurry and she’s having a hard time adjusting her vision.

 

“Yoojung.”

 

She blinks again.

 

“Yoojung?”

 

A hand waves in front of her and she finally catches focus.

 

“Hey are you paying attention to the movie? We can change it if it’s boring.” Jieqiong abruptly asks, catching Yoojung by surprise. She’d blanked out, again.

 

“Uhm, no– it’s fine, I was just, thinking about stuff. Yeah.” Yoojung stutters and it doesn’t go unnoticed by Yeunjung who’s sat on Yoojung’s sofa, next to Sohye.

 

“Okay.” Jieqiong acknowledges, turning her attention back to the TV screen. Jieqiong had arrived prior to when Yeunjung had, about ten minutes later.

 

“Sorry for being late.” Jieqiong huffs, walking inside to Yoojung’s living room. She’s holding a sleeping bag and duffel in her arms which were messily packed. “Eunwoo– she didn’t come by my house in time–” she frowns. “–then she drove the wrong direction, and then she said she was craving frozen yogurt, and then–”

 

“It’s okay.” Yoojung smiles, she let’s a chuckle escape from her lips as she closes the door behind Jieqiong.

 

“I swear– that girl makes excuses to keep you in her car for longer than you need to be, every, single, time.” Yeunjung comments, leaning against the wall cocking her eyebrow slightly.

 

Sohye walks in, sliding on her phone screen at a swift pace. “Hm, I think it’s because she’s in love with Jieqiong.” she teases, not looking up from her phone.

 

Jieqiong rolls her eyes, giving her friend a side-eyed look. “She’s not.”

 

“She is.”

 

“She’s not.” Jieqiong’s phone rings.

 

Eunwoo: hey. it’s me. i just wanted to know if u got there safe.

 

Eunwoo: even though i just saw u a minute ago… i just wanted to make sure.

 

Eunwoo: and also if u wanted some frozen yogurt. i still have some.

 

Eunwoo: it’s melted tho. but i can refreeze it.

 

Eunwoo: refreeze? is that a word? idk.

 

“Was that her?” Sohye finally looks up, smiling.

 

“No.” Jieqiong replies sharply, she slides out of Eunwoo’s messages, darting her eyes to Nayoung’s. “It was Nayoung, erm… she was asking me how my day was going.”

 

“Right. and I was just texting the cute boy from Yeunjung’s cafe a minute ago.” Sohye says mockingly.

 

Jieqiong’s face is filled with surprising emotions, her tone brightens. “Really?”

 

“No, I was looking at my twitter feed, I didn’t even talk to the cute boy– I went to go buy a slice of cake instead.”

 

Jieqiong rolls her eyes and sticks her tongue out. “Should’ve known.”

 

“This movie is actually pretty good– what is it called again?” Mina asks whilst not removing her eyes away from the screen.

 

“You Burn Me? or something, I don’t remember, all I know is my favorite actress stars in it so.” Jieqiong swoons, “Xuan Yi is so pretty, if she wasn’t famous– I’d marry her.”

 

“I’m telling Nayoung.” Yeunjung grimaces.

 

“I’m telling Eunwoo.” Sohye jumps in.

 

“Is it ‘Harrass Jieqiong Day’ today or something? You guys are being so annoying.” Jieqiong says playfully, giving her two friends a pout.

 

“Come on we’re just playing around,” Yeunjung laughs, giving her friend a lighthearted slap to the arm. “anyway, this movie is good, Juyeon is so beautiful.” she sighs dreamily.

 

Mina leans forward, the sound of leather squeaking emits. “I think the boy in the beginning of the movie was cute.” she says, snagging the last piece of pizza inside of the box.

 

“I think Jiyeon was cute, if I–  you know–  rolled that way, I’d wanna marry her.” Sohye says, mumbling the last bits of her sentence.

 

Jieqiong turns to the shortest of the four, “What about you Yoojung?”

 

“Hm?” She turns to see four sets of eyes glues onto her. “What?”

 

“Who do you like?”

 

Her heart jumps a bit before her tongue drags over her lips, they’re dry. “Huh? I– I don’t like anyone.”

 

Sohye holds in a stifled laughter but flashes a quick smile. “We meant in the movie.”

 

“Oh–” Yoojung let’s out a sigh of relief. “oh, uhm. Dayoung, I guess, I’m not sure what her name was.”

 

“Oh come on,” Yeunjung cracks open a can of cola, the sound of fizzing spews from it. “that girl showed up for like five minutes, she doesn’t count.”

 

“Oh uhm, then Cheng Xiao, I guess.”

 

“She’s pretty too.” Jieqiong comments.

 

 

“Why’d you stutter like that earlier?” Yeunjung asks, wiping off excess water from a plate.

 

Yoojung’s next to her, scrubbing any dirt from the dishes. “What do you mean?”

 

“Earlier, you were stuttering.”

 

Yoojung shakes her head slightly, turning to her friend. “I wasn’t.”

 

“You were,” she places a dish into the drying rack. “whenever I asked you something– or was it Jieqiong? I don’t remember, but you were stuttering, I heard it.”

 

“I really wasn’t,” Yoojung says, emphasizing her words. “I swear.”

 

Yeunjung hums, a squeaking sound escapes the space between the towel rag and platter in her hands. “You hiding something?”

 

Yoojung takes a deep breath, she tries to stabilize knowing she’ll stutter once again. “I swear– Yeunjung, I’m not– hiding anything.” That was close.

 

“You sure?”

 

Yoojung shuts off the faucet that was previously spraying water onto her hands. “Positive.”

 

“Hm, you know later we’re gonna play truth or dare, and no one backs out, and no one lies. Ever.”

 

“Do I really have to play?”

 

Yeunjung places the plate inside the dish rack, “Yes, everyone plays.”

 

Yoojung turns on the faucet and sighs quietly, “Alrigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter