...because you love me.

Getting Together Verse

Donghae woke up to tapping at his balcony window. Eyelids reluctantly fluttering awake, he wiped the drool from the corner of his mouth and rolled over to face the noise. He was greeted by Hyukjae’s smirk, and Donghae felt his heart skip a beat.

 

“Let me in, sleepy head,” Hyukjae chuckled from outside. “You’re going to sleep your life away.”

 

You’re going to break your neck jumping over here someday,” Donghae joked, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. He got up, trying to ignore the fact that he was wearing an old T-shirt and boxers only, and unlocked the sliding door between them. Once it was open, Hyukjae slipped inside the room and closed the door behind him. He hummed considerately while plastering himself against Donghae. “W-What are you doing, moron?”

 

Hyukjae merely snorted before pushing his friend back toward the bed. They toppled onto the mattress, Hyukjae hovering over Donghae. The sandy-haired boy had a purely devious glint in his eyes. Donghae however was staring wide-eyed at his childhood best friend. His mouth parted as he unconsciously his lips, a nervous habit.

 

Hyukjae was momentarily distracting by Donghae’s tongue before his eyes flicked back up to meet the brunette’s. He grinned and the tense atmosphere between them popped like a bubble. Dropping to lay on top of Donghae, he rolled them over so that Donghae’s face was cradled against his front.

 

“Sleep,” Hyukjae commanded in a jesting tone.

 

“You woke me up so we could sleep?”

 

“Why so skeptical, Hae? My motives are always pure.”

 

Sometimes I wish they weren’t. Donghae rolled his eyes even though Hyukjae couldn’t see since his face was still smushed to the latter’s chest. He probably felt it though. “You’re stupid.”

 

“Stop calling me such hurtful names.”

 

“You secretly love it.”

 

“That’s because you love me.”

 

Donghae held his breath. It felt like neither of them were breathing, and Donghae could hear Hyukjae’s heart pounding in his chest.

 

“W-Well, yeah I love you,” Donghae mumbled. “Of course I do. You’re my best friend.”

 

Hyukjae exhaled after a moment and pulled away slightly from Donghae. He smiled. “That’s right. So don’t you forget it,” he said lightly.

 

And like that, the weird feeling dissipated. Hyukjae settled himself so that he and Donghae were sharing the pillow and closed his eyes. “I did almost break my neck on my way over here,” joked the older boy. “Just let me rest here for a while and then let’s play video games or something.”

 

“Sure,” Donghae replied, making himself comfortable as well. His eyelids drifted closed and if he inched just a little closer to Hyukjae, he’s the only one who needed to know.

 

***

A/N: Greetings from Daegu! Yes, I'm in Korea again. I don't know why I decided to write anything again after not touching anything fanfic related in about 3 years. It's not much, but it's something, right?^^