Roaring Tides

Whisper Of My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                        

In a far...far away, in a small village, in which the day was so bright and full of hopes. The fiery ball of light was shining ever so brightly, and the cloudless sky was as blue as the sea below it.

 

The breeze whistled through the turning leaves of the beautiful field. A few blue sparrows flew happily above the tops of the willows. The sun beat down and light pooled peacefully on the flat, worn ground.

 

Somewhere there, there is a boy named Chanwoo. He was about to begin a new life. An adventure that was waiting for him. He just turned 18 and has become an adult. Now he is ready to leave his hometown and chase after his dreams.

 

As the tradition of this small peaceful village he is bound to leave and go to one of these big hectic cities. Everyone was there to farewell the boy. All of the residents were excited and proud that the naughty child has become a mature boy who is about to take his own journey.

 

“Please mom, I told you, I’ll be okay. Just stop crying.” Chanwoo gave his best to reassure and comfort his anxious and worried mum who was crying a river in front of a cottage.

 

“He’s grown now, also our boy is very clever and cunning so nothing bad could happen to him, honey.” Chanwoo’s dad added in order to relieve the woman’s heart.

 

“B-but-..” The poor woman wasn’t able to talk because she was choking on her own tears. The separation was too much for her to handle.

 

Chanwoo turned his back and took some steps. He one last time turned his head and gave a beautiful bright smile to the people who were waving at him. But the boy only focused on his mother who was crying and trying so hard to look at his son.

 

Chanwoo went by train to the nearest city. Afterwards he took a metro and traveled to Seoul. The capital city of South Korea, and also one of the biggest ones out there.

 

As soon as the boy stepped out of the train, he was amazed and astonished to see how many people there was on the station. It was so crowded and he wasn’t able to hear his own speech.

 

The lad was carrying a sheet of paper in which there was an address, phone number, and somebody’s name. He was asking so many people for help to find the damn place. The poor boy got lost because of his lack of knowledge and disorientation. And the disability to read and write made it even worse.

 

“What did I do these whole 18 years?” The frustrated boy asked himself as he was walking to nowhere. “Everyone says that I am smart and clever but in actual I even don’t know how to read. I am not able to find a place on my own.”

 

He cursed under his inner mind that he didn’t go to school to learn how to read and write. But surely it wasn’t Chanwoo’s fault. In the village there aren’t any schools. The nearest school was in the city yet they couldn’t afford it. His hands were full with his luggage and he hardly was carrying on them.

 

There were numerous cabs, but he didn’t want to spend his money on something that stupid. Chanwoo didn’t give up and the lad kept searching for the place. He continued getting around so clueless and wordless.

 

“Excuse me sir? By any chance do you know how can I find that place?” He asked and lifted the piece of sheet to the man.  “Ahh you ask Jinhwan’s bakery!” The man raised his eyebrows and looked at Chanwoo’s eyes. On the other hand Chanwoo wasn’t aware what was he looking for at all. So he just nodded.

 

“You are standing a few miles of it!” The stranger said and pointed the building right before him. It was a nice place not very big, but not very small either. Just a bakery filled with customers who were waiting to buy the warm bread baked on the oven.

 

Chanwoo entered and lined up on the long queue, he waited his turn patiently. “Yes please, what do you like?” A short boy asked while staring at Chanwoo’s worried eyes. Chanwoo was attracted right away by the petite man, he was so vivacious and his hair was as soft as silk and it was shining as a diamond. His cheeks were puffy and his lips were pinky. It made Chanwoo to bit his lower lip and then he tried to speak.

 

“Um. . mm I-I am looking for a man named Jinhwan.” Chanwoo gulped and breathed deeply. The other man only smirked and gave a little smile. “Are you Chanwoo?” He asked.

 

Chanwoo couldn’t help, his heart was beating like crazy and he was sweating by unknown reason. Then he just nodded.

 

As soon as Jinhwan received the confirmation, he dragged the boy and took him in another room. “Bobby, please take care of our customers.” He yelled while closing the door of the room. “Hello I am Jinhwan, I was waiting for you!”

 

“I am Chanwoo, nice too meet you.” Big amount of nervousness could be detected on Chanwoo’s voice. He was just looking down on the floor and was playing with his fingers.

 

“Heyyy don’t be afraid, I don’t bite nor eat young boys!” Jinhwan said with his teasing tone and then he left a chuckle in order to reduce the heavy atmosphere.

 

“I promised your father to take good care of you, so you’re lucky to have me, because few people are treated by me well."

 

“T-Thank you.” Chanwoo bowed as a sign of gratefulness. They both turned their heads when someone new entered to the room.

 

“Hello honey, this is Chanwoo, the boy I was talking to you!” Jinhwan hugged the other boy and wrapped his hands around his wrist. Тhen the latter extended and kissed the other boy.

 

Chanwoo was shocked by the view. He has never seen such thing in his entire life. He came from a village, so there wasn’t any chance for him to see two boys kissing each other. The poor boy even didn’t see it on movies. His eyes widened and his mouth opened in o shape.

 

“A—re . . y-you two..?” He was stuttering. “Yes we are! This is Bobby, my boyfriend.” JInhwan answered to his question. Therefore the couple laughed because of Chanwoo’s dead silly expression.

 

“We are startling the poor boy from the first day.” Bobby whispered as he was trying to stop his laughter.

 

“Okay let’s stop” Jinhwan was literally crying from the strong waves of laughter, even he felt a sharp pain in his stomach. Hence the small boy wiped away the sprinkles of tears from the corner of his eyes, and parted his lips to speak.

 

“OK Chanwoo, from now on you’ll work here as a delivery boy. In exchange I’ll give you a place to live in, free food and money.” His voice got serious and his face expression changed in a blink of an eye.

 

“Yes sir!” Chanwoo took the offer and bowed again.

 

“Sir?” Jinhwan expanded his eyes and gave him a dead glare. “Please call me hyung, Chanwoo, I am not that old after all. Beside I consider you as a little brother I hope you do too."

 

Chanwoo’s puffy cheeks got cherry-red and he received a hard pat on his right shoulder from Bobby. “Good boy!” Bobby said.

 

“I give you 1 week to get to know the place and make new friends, before starting working. So Chanwoo please enjoy your holiday because once you start working, there will be none.” He said it in a nice way yet the warning could be noticed in his face.

 

“But first please, remove these rags from yourself. Here take these clothes, hopefully they’ll suit your body!”  Jinhwan hold out some folded clothes toward Chanwoo.

 

“Also take these money and map. I want you to get familiar with the city.” As soon as Jinhwan ended his speech, the latter and his boyfriend headed to the exit to leave Chanwoo change his clothes.

 

After Chanwoo put the new clothes on, he wasn’t able to recognize himself. These tight skinny jeans. . . He’s never worn something like this before. That loosen sweatshirt that was almost reaching his knees. It was just something extremely new. In fact he was used to wear only simple things like tracksuit and some old pants and shirts.

 

After finishing looking and admiring at himself in the mirror, Chanwoo took the map which was on the table and gave a look. He didn’t have any idea how that map was supposed to be held. The lad rotated it to 180° but still didn’t figure it out.

 

He headed to the main hall where the bakery was and told Jinhwan that he will take a walk. “Fine, go enjoy the day, and be careful not to lose!” Jinhwan shouted behind him.

 

Chanwoo got out from the bakery and headed to the alley. He was sightseeing and overly amazed by the view. The buildings were so high and there were so many of them. The hustle and bustle of city life was too much for a man who, comes from a peaceful quiet country. He preferred his tranquil and quite monotonous lifestyle.

 

The city was teaming with people, businesses, and houses. The whole area was overrun with civilians. The exhaust from a billion cars filled the atmosphere and that combined with the sewage from a local power station effused to create the most pungent, vulgar smell known to man.

 

The streets were packed with pedestrians. Nobody stopped to say hello. Chanwoo looking dazed and confused was stood in the middle of a pavement. He was being pushed around by the people who so desperately needed to get somewhere.

 

The boy collect courage and  stopped someone to ask something. “My apologize madam, do you know where the local library is?” His tone was so treacherous and he had a fear inside him. “ Yes, walk straight for a mile then turn left, afterwards walk a little and make your way to the left and you’ll see a big brown building in which there’s a signboard with the name of the library.”

 

The latter gave his all to memorize the woman’s words. He did as she said and surprisingly he found what he was looking for. When he entered the boy was gr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter