1/1

Better With You

The first thing he feels as the sun rises, turning the room into a shade of blue because of the curtains, is something heavy landing on his forehead. He opens his eyes, disorientated and confused, while letting out a low groan. After another minute or two of fighting off sleep he reaches up to touch what lay on his forehead and he groans yet again. Of course Hyungwon should have known it was Hoseok’s hand that hit him, just like it did every other morning, it was inevitable as he slept on the floor beside Hoseok’s bed and Hoseok had a thing of sleeping like a starfish or with half of his body off the bed, maybe both. At least he didn’t fall on top me, Hyungwon thought. He rather not have that happen again. It was certainly a rude awakening.

Hyungwon pushed the hand away not-so-lightly, enlisting a grumble of incoherent words from his friend, and he would have chuckled if he wasn’t half dead to the world himself. So all he did was turn to lay on his side and fall into slumber once again.

                                                                                                                                         ☾ . : 。* 

The second time he’s woken up he feels something shaking him. He ignores the light shakes at first, snuggling into his blanket with a sigh, but then they turn rougher and Hyungwon lets out a loud whine. Why is the world so cruel? Why can’t it just let him sleep? (and he knows that he is being dramatic but he can’t find it in himself to care) “Hyungwon…” A voice that sounds far away reaches his ears and if he had the energy he would tell the voice to go away. “Hyungwon!” This time it’s much louder, like it’s right next to him, and he identifies the voice as his dear friend Hoseok. Again, if he had the energy he would roll his eyes because this is the second time he is being woken up by him. He decides to get up when he’s finally had enough of his name being called and once he’s done rubbing at his eyes they meet the ones of his best friend. “God, you sleep like the dead. I need to find a better way of waking you up.” He glares slightly at the older male which just makes him chuckle and Hyungwon glares more. “C'mon, get ready. You’ve got an hour and a half before we leave.” Hoseok pats his knee as he gets up and leaves the room they shared for the time being.

He runs a hand through his hair as he stands up, emitting a big yawn, and begins to fold the dozens of blankets he slept on. Hyungwon notes that he never was one to make his bed at home. Always too lazy to do so and because his parents would always do it. But then Hyungwon remembers that where his parents live is no longer his home but just a house he used to inhabit before his parents decided they no longer wanted him there. Being kicked out by his parents was definitely not the highlight of his life and he blamed himself for weeks about it. But the truth was his parents were messed up, always had been even though they tried to hide it, and he had done nothing wrong. Hoseok made sure Hyungwon knew he wasn’t at fault for his parents being utter crap once he came to live with him and his mom. If he didn’t appreciate Hoseok before, which was not the case, he sure did after what he’s done for him.

So, Hyungwon didn’t mind sleeping on the floor as it actually wasn’t that bad with all the blankets Hoseok’s mom insisted on giving so he wouldn’t end up having any back problems. She also insisted that they would get the extra room fixed as soon as they could and make it a proper bedroom even though he told her she didn’t need to do all of that. While it’s been a little over a month, the room not even being half way to being done, she liked to tell him the progress that was being made and he always replied with a thank you for all she was doing because Hoseok had long ago told him that denying her effort would be futile as she saw Hyungwon as another son and she was going to take care of him now that he had no one else to. Essentially, the month and a half he had lived with Hoseok and his mom had been much better than all the years he spent with the people that were supposed to love him the most and he couldn’t have been more grateful for it, for them, which is why he folded the blankets and did any other chore he could. Hoseok claimed, jokingly, that he was trying to one-up him and be the favorite son but that was the only way he could think to repay them.

Tucking in his button down shirt and putting the sweater vest he hated wearing over it, he went to work on his hair. Though he and Hoseok both detested their school uniforms they both made sure they looked good in it nonetheless. Hoseok walked in the room once he plugged in the dryer. “The hour and a half isn't done yet.” He looked over at the older male, who had taken a seat on the bed, raising an eyebrow slightly. “Yeah, I know. But mom wouldn’t let me help her make something for breakfast, saying I’d end up burning the house down or something. Which I take extreme offense to. I’m not that bad.” Hoseok’s bottom lip jutted out slightly and Hyungwon knew that his friend’s way of trying to get him to agree that wasn’t that bad at cooking but then that Hyungwon would be lying and Hoseok’s pouts never worked on him. Hyungwon rolled his eyes, though with a small smile, before turning to face the full length mirror. “Anyways, how should I style my hair. In a fluffy sort of way or push it back?” He asked as he looked at Hoseok in the mirror. “Fluffy. You look cute with fluffy hair.” Hyungwon froze for a fraction of a second before nodding and getting to work.

With the occasional help from Hoseok, who kept pestering Hyungwon about doing it wrong, his hair was finished and they headed to the dining table to eat breakfast. “You have fifteen minutes to eat before you have to leave. So, don’t eat too quickly, but hurry up.” Hoseok’s mom told them as she set the plates of food in front of them. They thanked her then dug in. The two of them tried not to eat messily but they were teenage boys and it’s pretty impossible to not make some kind of a mess. Of course, they cleaned up their mess and thanked Hoseok’s mom once again for their breakfast. They grabbed their book bags with too many books in them, both of them swore that if not both one of them would have a hunch back with the amount of weight they carried and also swore to love each other just the same if it turned out to be so, and then hugged Hoseok’s mom while saying their byes. Hyungwon opened the door but before he could step out Hoseok stopped him with a quiet, “Wait.” He turned to face his friend and practically froze when Hoseok reached up to touch his hair, moving it slightly until he was satisfied, he had a small smile that showed his pearly white teeth and — Goddamn. Both of their eyes settled on the others and Hyungwon smiled shyly. “Let's go.” Hoseok said and with that they left (and if either of them would have turned around before doing so they would have seen Hoseok’s mom with a knowing smirk on her lips as she watched from the living room). Everything really was better with Hoseok.