Chapter 1

Hummingbird
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hey guys~ the first chapter is here! Actually i was going to post this once my exam is over this saturday but today's my birthday and i just want to share my happiness with you all XD (And yes i did change the title lol) Pleas bear with some mistakes as english isn't my first language ^^; Enjoy~

*

A lone black haired young woman was sitting inside her office, hands propped on either side, head resting against the leather-material of the chair. She was staring into the openness of the whole city of Capitol wide spread in front of her; having three walls and one humongous glass of room. The night was blinking, twinkling, beaming with all its glory, but she knew better not to be deceived, as it all came from all these skyscrapers and towers and buildings and the stars, at this rate, had died out of light.

 

She shifted her gaze as her phone beeped. It was a notification from her co-worker, saying that the tributes from each twelve Districts had been picked and were on their way to the Capitol. Scrolling down was other notifications of arrangement of meetings for the upcoming games and possible change in arena from what was planned, all to ensure a more sophisticated and, what people here would refer, entertaining games.

 

There was longing flashed by her eyes and she cradled her left forearm, where an ugly mark stood under the sleeve of her shirt; a result from the brutality she had experienced almost three years ago.

 

She was the victor of the 74th Annual Hunger Games, a famous one for her determined image in front of media and yet bearing a quirky, aggressive attitude once she was in the arena. She was seventeen that time, and was told to fake her personality. And so she did, trying hard to conceal her shy and awkward nature. And what a good decision it was as sponsors were fighting over her and she, as the man had said million times (but really she couldn't care less), was apparently one of Caesar Flickerman's favorite tributes.

 

It suddenly brought her back to the days when she was just a poor girl from District 12, hunting for food and working hard to make a live out of it.

 

Despite the lack of money, however, at least she was happy.

 

That until her name was selected for that year reaping, of course.

 

Now she was living wealthily, her needs were fulfilled and, under some circumstances, had been appointed as the head of the gamemaker two years ago.

 

Her bubbles of thoughts were burst when there was a knock on the door. She straightened her torso, cracking her neck as she glanced at the digital watch sitting on her desk.11 PM. Her hand went to press the green button on her left-hand side of the desk and the door slide open as she did so. Coming in was two peacekeepers dressing in their neat, white uniform, guarding another young, blonde woman behind them.

 

As always, the blonde's eyes travelled around the room, only to rest at the crossbow displayed on the far corner, shinning and yet scrapped as it had been the weapon that was used as a protection during the game. There was amusement, and presumably admiring stare from the blonde woman.

 

(The blonde had been her mentor at that time and still was in charge of others as the respective from District 12 since she had refused the offer of such job.

 

She hated to send people off,

 

Only to know that she wouldn't be meeting them anymore, and watch them die because of her own creation)

 

"The tributes have arrived Tzuyu."

 

"I'm aware of the fact, but thanks Momo."

 

The blonde woman, Momo, nodded toward the two peacekeepers as a signal to leave them alone. Once the door was shut, Momo took a sit on the comfy, red couch on the opposite side of the room, silhouettes warring the brightness of her hair as her back faced the city.

 

"Coming here for some tips, I see?"

 

"You know me so well."

 

Tzuyu snickered, pushing herself off her chair only to sit herself on the table, her hands hosting her upper body up, as she looked at her ex mentor.

 

"And what make you think I'd give it to you this time?"

 

Momo raised her eyebrows, "You always do."

 

"And what if it turns did?"

 

"You won't do that," Momo laughed, crossing her arms as a grin crossed over her countenance. "Our District's honor is in your hand."

 

"And unfortunately yes, you're right." Tzuyu shook her head. "Mutants, there will be lots of them. And beware of the flora. That's all I'm going to tell you."

 

"Classic." Momo said, once again glancing at Tzuyu's crossbow. "Thanks. Oh and have you seen the tributes from our District?"

 

"No." Tzuyu shrugged. "Why?"

 

Momo's expression darkened and there’s no more playful glint on her eyes. Just pity. Tzuyu didn't know what turned the blonde like that, as Momo had always been the composed person that was often mistaken as cold the first few times you met her. However, here she was, showing sympathy over things Tzuyu didn't even know she had probably lost.

 

Without muttering another words, Momo rose from the couch and grabbed a remote from the coffee table. Emitting from the projector was a re-run of today's reaping. The for District 12 was, like always, Effie Trinket, a vivacious woman with eccentric hair and excessive make-up. She was tending the chosen tributes behind the peacekeepers protection, as though congratulating what seemed to be achievement of winning when in all honestly it was a one-way ticket to hell they got.

 

"Is there anything I should notic-"

 

Her words were cut abruptly, her breath caught on and she was closed to chock on her saliva.

 

There in the video, someone she knew all to well to be missed even among the crowd. She was a skinny, dark brown haired woman, looking equally as bewildered as the boy beside her. She looked so lost, vulnerability showing on the way her body swayed slightly and the blurry reflection of the crowd from her glassy eyes as they zoom in to her face.

 

"Sana..." Tzuyu breathed out.

 

No, this couldn't be happening. It wasn't supposed to go this way. Yeah, that's right, there must be some sort of mistakes, and as Tzuyu rummaged through the files of regulations that had been revised yesterday, she found herself helpless as she read the new line printed under the old rules.

 

Extending the range of youth's age, from 12-18 to 12-23.

 

Tzuyu counted silently in her head; Sana was twenty-three this year.

 

As a gamemaker, it was advised to never make a contact with any District villagers, as it'd lessen the effectiveness and potentials in designing the events for the Hunger Games.

 

But, alas, no one ever told her what to do if, as a gamemaker, it was someone she cares dearly that she needed to invent ways to kill.

 

~*~

 

As she passed by greenery scene and arrived in the grayness of tall buildings and machines and proper street, Sana felt the urged to just escape crept higher and higher to the point her breathe came as a short inhale and exhale. Fear of what was going to come pressed her to this small form of self, collapsing her self-esteem (not like she had much in the first place anyway).

 

It was funny how this situation befallen her, as if Sana hadn't suffered enough for the past few years. If only she was a year older, if only the President didn't ought to change the rules, if only it wasn't her name on the paper, then she wouldn't be here. She'd probably be somewhere associated with plants, farming what left could be farmed, hunting, strolling around the forest to ease her building up stress or helping her grandma in the hob, selling things that they weren't suppose to get their hands on. 

 

And now, as the train went inside a tunnel and came into a slow halt, the boy opposite her lifted his head up to peer from behind her greasy, black hair, a myriad of colors so bright and enchanting unlike the usual torches or barely-sufficient electricity back in their District were unfolding in front of her, Sana was clashed in between being in awe or nervous.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter