It's my Biggest Regret ;

Mending a Broken Heart ❤

 

 

"It's year-end break, are you going back this Christmas?" Myungsoo asked as Seo Young drew her knees closer to her. Grimacing at the thought of the harsh memory that etched on her heart all these years, tears brimmed in her eyes. Why should she suffer for a guy that hurt her, it was his fault! Why can't she just forget this past on move on with her life?

"What do you think?" Seo Young asked him, looking up at the guy who was cleaning his new camera. He stayed silent, not knowing how to response, after all he was just a dongsaeng that lends a ear to her when she needed him, giving advices, do not even think about it. "But yes, I'm going back."

He paused to look up at her, "W-Why?" he was astonished by her sudden unexpected response as he had been asking her this question every school break they had and it was always declined with a hesitating 'No'.

"It's my country anyway, and right, yours too. Don't you miss your snowy Christmas over there?" Seo Young took his camera from him and helped him clean the lenses before looking through his new picture collections. Viewing only the latest picture he took, his heart skipped a beat as he quickly snatched it back. 

"Noona, there's privacy! Yo-You can't look!" he stuttered.

Seo Young shrugged as she stood up, practising on her new technique of capturing at specific angles. "To the left," he corrected her. Although he's a dongsaeng, he's a professional at photography which really made her feel smaller than him during lessons. But all thanks to him that she was able to pass her photography test.

"Myungsoo-ah, if I'm able to overcome my fear of going back, will you too? Go back with me alright? You can't run away forever," 

He shook his head. "Never," his face darkened. "Every of my loved ones died there, it's the worst place ever, my parents, and her, they all died there. It's a curse, it can never be changed."

"You just have to go back this once, please? Just one last Christmas," 

Perspiration trickled down his temples, as memories of those car accidents came back into his mind. He bit his lip as he took a deep breath, calming himself down. He can never ever reject any of his Noona's request, he just.. liked her too much. "Just once."
 



Seo young gulpped as the plane landed on the ground that she've stepped on three years ago. she took a quick glance at Myungsoo, his espression hadn't change at all since the day he agreed to come with her. His pair of eyes was quivering with fear as he just stared blankly in the air, oblivious to the fact that they've reached their destination. 

"Myungsoo," Seo Young nudged him before gesturing him to get out of his seat so that she could get out from the window seat. "Myungsoo, it'll be alright, yes?" she tried calming him down, ruffling his hair. 

He gave a small nod, reassuring her a little. 

"Let's go to my house," he suggested since he still had the keys with him and it was vacant. Agreeing without hesitation, we set off.

"Seoul, Mapo-gu, Seongsan-dong 131," he said to himself as he looked up at the house in front of him. "Yes, this is the one." 

Doubting the fact, Seo Young asked, "You were a rich boy?" he ignored as he opened the gates to the vacant terrace house. "Leave your things anywhere, treat it as your house, it's fine." He threw his keys on the table as he swiftly turned around to her, holding her by the arms, "Remember this, 'Be Careful."

"Yes sir!" she giggled, trying to loosen him up. "Can I explore around this area? Your house is so big, I bet I can't explore finish even by tonight," she , "Lucky fella!"

"Jeez, exaggeration. Alright, just around this place, but remember-"

"Be careful right? I get it!" she chorused, pushing him back to his room, 

He smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. "If you want to go further, come back and I'll go with you, I can't leave my guest running around by herself, can I?" 

"Hmm.. Alright. Bye, see'ya later," she replied, leaving the house and out of the gate she went, tucking her hands into her warm pocket, she walked along the pathway, watching as cars drive pass. she let out a sigh, reminiscing about all the happy and sad memories over here during her past 16 age of life.

Nam Woohyun. Yes, I still do miss him, but it's impossible between us. 

As she reached to the turn of the alley, a little kid popped out, making a star jump right in front of her. Startled, she retreated. The kid held a bouquet of flower with many lollipops on the top and held it out to her, "Noona! For you!" A present from a stranger? Hesitant to take it from him, he slot it into her palm and closed her fingers. "Annyeong!" he last said as he skipped away.

Making a turn into the alley - just the path that leads to nowhere, except for the perfect view of a group of boys placing soccer over the large green gates. Peeking through the small little gaps between the wires, a familiar voice called out for her, "Oh Soo Yeon," she froze as she dare not look back, nobody ever knew about her real name, except for.. him. 

The cold winter air just seemed to seep into her thick jacket, it just suddenly didn't seem to keep her warm anymore. Shivering, she held on tightly to the wires of the gate. Until she felt a touch on her shoulder, she turned back swiftly, hoping to be able to just run out of the alley without him catching her.

Running as fast as her legs could carry her, she swiftly turned back to take a lttle glance - but he wasn't there.  Her heart pounded as a shiver ran down her spine, was it just her mere imagination? As she slowed down in her tracks, she decided to quickly make a go back to Myungsoo's house before anything happens. Doubling her speed to reach the turning corner of the alley, a pair of icy cold hands grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her back. Letting out a sharp peircing scream, he quickly revealed himself to her. "Soo Yeon-ssi," he breathed.

"Nam Woohyun, why did you come?" she swallowed my tears, her eyes firing with hatred.

 

"Oppa! Where do you want to go for Christmas?" Seo Young ehcoed through the phone, anticipating the answer. Silence fell when he replied, she just felt like hanging up on him, "Oh well.. Kwenchana!" she tried saying in her happiest tone - just trying to hide her disappointment. After she hung up, she stuffed her phone into her pocket as she stopped in her tracks. Where was she? She looked around. She had been blindly walking around, making a imginary 'script' in her head on how she was going to talk to Woohyun.  He was never free on special occasions like her birthday, white day etc, she was always alone. This Christmas, she needed him - she needed someone to be with me. Breathing out, she stood to admire the mist rose in the air. She was on a bridge looking at other couples walking past, celebrating their snowy winter Christmas but she was different.

Smiling her loneliness away, she turned to face the scenery. She wanted to laugh away all this misery. Why did she like this guy so much? His nothing but a jerk! "Mianhae, I'm busy," it's always the same excuse. The words with the matching tone of his kept on chanting in her head repeatedly. He don't deserve her love, does he? How busy can a student that plays truent now and then, a student who sleeps in class, a student that does nothing good? It's all excuses! Moreover, what can he do in the night? Sleeping at 8? Unsual of him, she thought as she smirked. Feeling hopeless, she dropped down and stared at the ceiling, goodbye Korea. She held back the tears that were about to fall, where was he when she needed him?

"Where should I go?" she asked herself, trying to make her lonely Christmas a little happier. Just then, she thought of the place where she used to go since young - the playground. It's the place where a kid can drown their sorrows by playing the slides and swing. How free can a kid be? No need to be sad over a jerk and homework as easy as ABC. But why is life so difficult for her? She had to to earn her own money as a kid, work work and work so as to not follow in the dirty footsteps of her parents. She had learnt independence much ealier than anyone else. She had settled all her hardships by herself by why isn't it the same this time?

Lying down on the slide, she looked up into the sky as the stars shone brightly. Pink, blue, peach? The different colours of it weren't very obvious but they were just all unique individually. Such a pity she can't read constellation. She wrapped my arms around myself as she tried to conserve as much warmth as possible "If it snows tonight, I'm leaving. If it doesn't, I'll stay. Let's all wait for fate to decide," she thought as she sat up, ready to head for home.

"Yahh!" she heard a familiar voice, although it was a little faint, sje recognised it. Is that Woohyun? She squinted her eyes, narrowing her focus at the shadow at the other block. Just to make sure, she fished out her mobile phone and dialled Woohyun. You may say it's a coincidence, but the guy over at the other block looked at his phone and ignored it. And on her side, Woohyun didn't pick up her call. What crap is this? She headed back home, packed up and was ready to leave.

On the way to the airport, all the past memories raced through her mind. She wasn't ready to let him go, she was still not willing to leave all the memories here... Anyway he was the one who picked her up after the departure of her parents, he is the only one that mean something to her. Was she this petty to just leave? Biting her lip, she sent a text message to him "Woohyun-uh, goodbye, I'm leaving soon." just this short sentece, but with hopes that he would come and find her, or just reply her asking her to stay. But probably her expectations were too high...

Even before she entered the departure hall, she paced around the area, wandering and waiting with her mobile phone clutched in her hand - waiting for the vibration that would stop all her plans. 'Plane 2-13 heading to America, please board the plane now' she heard the broadcast, glancing back one last time, nothing could describe her disappointment. His decision was a break up - she finally got it. "How stupid am I?" she thought.

 

"I've been waiting for you all these while, why did you leave?" he replied as he took a step closer, she retreated and smirked, trying to avoid any unecessary eye-contact lest she give in to him. She rolled her eyes and grinned sacarstically, "You? Waiting for me? What make you think I'd leave if you answered my call or even replied my text? What did you do that night huh?"

"It's so long ago, I can't remember," his voice trembled.

"Wow, it isn't even unforgettable for you," she sneered, "but it was for me, I can remember clearly, what you did to me - do you need me to refresh your memory? Anyway, you're still doing well right? You don't need me," she emphasized.

"No, every night I wonder why, why I hurt you, why was I that damn jerk who broke your heart. I questioned myself what can I do to make things right - so I waited, waited for your return. I'm sorry okay? Just, come back to me, can't you?" he confessed. "I know I've done wrong, I don't deserve you, that's why give me a chance to compensate you, alright?"

"Want an honest answer? No, I can't," she retorted bluntly. "Unless you give me some valid reasons that I should,"

But maybe.. she made the wrong decision, Nam Woohyun - known for his mushiness, who can ever not fall for him?

He nodded and his lips, "Firstly, your heart is still with me. I can see that, from your eyes. Even if you say that you don't through your own mouth, think deep down your heart, have you ever missed me?" he paused as he stepped closer. 

"I've changed over the years, I've learnt not to fall in your damn threat, just go away, please, it'll make my life happier," she mutterred and got ready to leave, her mind was in a whirl, not clear whether she would regret all that she've said. She still had feelings for him, and she knew what he said was all true. Great minds think alike, she knew what he was going to do next, that's why she decided to leave. As if her feet was rooted to the ground, she stayed still, not following her brain's instruction - but instead, she followed her heart. 

"Soo Yeon, please," that was probably the last phrase she heard before he plunged his lips into hers, holding her tight by her waist, he knew she loved skinship. All those years when they had been together, what was going on in her mind, he knew all about that, it's just that he can't express his feelings well, never giving her the answer that she didn't get to hear, nor the heart that she wanted to see.

Moments like this never lasts, searching frantically, Myungsoo finally found the source of the scream as the scene unfold before his eyes. He clenched his fists and tightened his jaw. "Yah! Nam Woohyun, you bastard!" he exploded as he tear the two apart, "Why did you come back?" he shouted, anger boiling in her. "Noona, don't fall for him again, just remember all the misery he brought you, are you serious in walking back that path?" he said in between breaths, his eyes full of plead as he stood between the two.

"Mister, I guess she really mean a lot to you? Do you.. have a crush on her?" Woohyun remarked as he scanned Myungsoo from head to toe.

Myungsoo aired his tongue, taking in deep anxious breaths, "No," he reacted awkwardly to that question.

"Look at yourself, sweating profusely in this negative five degrees weather?" Woohyun mocked, "Admit it!"

"Shut up please, I don't mind going back with you, just please, stop bullying him," Seoyoung frowned at Woohyun as she pulled Myungsoo back. "He's nobody to joke with, I'm fine. It's okay, maybe I still can't forget the love he's given me? Just give him one more chance," she ensured Myungsoo in her Noona authority and reaussured him with a smile.

"Bu-"

"I know what I'm doing. Can you leave us alone for a moment? I'll be back by 10, I promise. My Christmas this year belongs to you alright? So just let me have today with him! Okay? Myunggie!" she requested. "Let me just think about it, and tomorrow I'll be yours, okay?"

Relunctantly, he shuffled his way out while Seo Young followed behind him, before Woohyun tugged her by her hand, "Where shall we go?" he asked giving her hand a little squeeze. Shaking his hand off, Seo Young bit her lips and said, "Not until you apologise to Myungsoo,"

"But I only did so to protect you," he said, "it's obvious he likes you, who can stand it if another guy likes his girlfriend?"

Annoyed, Seo Young crossed her arms and reasoned out, "Myungsoo is my dongsaeng, you hurt him, you d-i-e, apologise or anot, I leave it to you," At that, the 1991-er had no other choice but to lay down his pride and apologise to the 1992-er. Woohyun was willing to do anything, to keep her with him. 
 



"Wah, yeppeuda!" exclaimed Seo Young as the wonders of the beautiful snowflower enveloped her surrounding. Around them was the wide field that's full of snowflowers that had bloomed within the two days of winter. Probably you can say it's a miracle that it managed to bud before the arrival of the couple. Maybe they really are fated to be together?

"Seems like it has been snowing for the past few days," she remarked, looking at the snow that has accumulated along the sides of the roads, and hiding some of the snowflowers. "How have you been?" she spun around to Woohyun who was admiring her back view and watching every movement she made - she was just this beautiful that he regretted letting his eyes off her three years ago.

"What do you think?" he whispered by her ear, as he pulled her hands out of her pocket and held hers in his. "Every winter, the cold always reminded me of our times together. The day you held my hand and never wanted to let me go, the warmth you gave me - the love you showered upon me. Everything. When I closed my eyes, I see you and in the reflection of eyes, a smiling me, the illusion that stayed in me, urging me to wait for your return. How stupid I was to let you go?"

She flashed back a weak smile, before he continued, "When we're together, the times fly by so fast like the ephemeral life. The time was so short, but the wait was so long. You and I, is there a possibilty for a new start?"

"Well, after my departure, I've left everything to fate, if we're meant to be, then we are, I guess?" she said as she carressed his face, letting out a sigh.

"Meaning?" he grimaced, showing no confident.

"We'll meet again, at 8, you'll know then - whether we're fated," she uttered, before she tiptoed and planted a peck on his cheek, "see you."

In that mere one and a half hour, it's up to whether fate comes between them, whether they still had another chance. Meanwhile, Sooyeon stopped by at a pet shop and there she was, admiring the little creatures. Would this be the perfect gift for a brand new Christmas? A brand new life.

Looking through the glass windows, nothing seemed to have caught her attention, maybe this wasn't it. What she was looking for is something that would tug her by the heart, a feeling that would urge her into the store to get that in possesion straight away. Which was what she felt when she passed by the next store, this is what she probably called, "Fate" or what was actually deep, deep, deep down in her heart.

"Ahjussi, I want this, and pack a 100,000 won worth of this," she told the shopkeeper as she watched him packed it into a box and hand it over to her. Her heart was beating in excitement, although it was such an expensive present, she knew he'd love it. With that, she headed off into the distance, where her foot led the way.

 


 

Glancing at her watch, she sighed, snuggling her hands in her pockets. "Fifteen minutes more," she mutterred. Meanwhile, she decided to open the box and use the thing that she had bought earlier on. "I think these films can at least last him for a year - I hope,"

Despite only snowing for two days, the ground was already covered in snow, she packed the thing back into the box before she settled herself to trace back her footsteps, leading her back to where she came from. As she walked along, she realised that there was also someone here. Probably she was too deep in her thoughts previously that she didn't see the other trail of footsteps. Judging by the footprints, she knew that the person did arrive earlier than her. Trusting her instincts, she followed along the trail, leading her to see a guy, warming his hand using a cup of hot chocolate, waiting anxiously.

"Nam Woohyun, I guess its fate?" she shouted over to him as she slowly ambled towards him. Her eyes brimmed with tears as she choked out a smile. Woohyun walked towards her with both cups of hot chocolate in his hand and handed one to her. Their eyes met and all they could see was the reflection of themselves in each other, the glowing and sparkling mirror.  

"The fluttering wishes, the confessions I've never made, I'll tell you right in front of your eyes now," he breathed, "Saranghae!" 

Whatever that was going on in Seo Young, she herself was unclear. Why doesn't she have the feeling that she had in the past? The moment when her heartbeat rushes when he said that he loved her, or getting hyper when she knows she was going to meet her - it was all gone. On the contary, she even wants to avoid coming here, if not for choosing to give him another chance, she would have just left with Myungsoo previously.  

"From today, you'll be locked with me," he laughed before he plucked out a necklace from his pocket. "The day you left, the day you returned," he said as he opened up her palm, placing the heart-shaped pendant with an interlocking infinite sign. "I won't be the romantic guy to put it on for you lest you say I force you to be with me," he smiled sheepishly before he leaned forward by her ear, saying, "Merry Christmas." All she did was act as if she still loved him, but her feelings were all long gone.

"Hey, I think I have to go, it's almost 10, I've promised My-"

"I understand alright, I'll send you back,"

"It's okay, annyeong," she quickly declined before she disappeared into the distance.

Silently entering the house, Seoyoung found the exhausted figure of Myungsoo laying on the sofa with the television switched on in front of him and his baby camera resting by the table lamp. Fortunately, she brought the extra set of key out or else she would have to wake up the sleeping prince. Trying hard not to make much noise, she crept towards a vacant room and took out the box. "His favourite, new edition polaroid!" she uttered to herself, she did wish to keep it for herself too - but she knew Myungsoo would cherish it 10 times more.

Beaming with curiosity, she took out the polaroid and placed a film in it. "Hmm.. Maybe I shall take a selca," she thought, since she at least.. had to leave him a memory before she left? She knew well enough, who was hidden in Myungsoo's heart. She herself was afraid that she'd die soon, all she needed to do was to help him free from this 'curse', she didn't know how it worked, but she guessed that she'd be the last one, that she'll be the one who would lift the curse.

"Be free to love," she read out what she had written on the polaroid film that she took before signing off with her name. "Oh Seoyoung Noona!" Hiding it between  the rest of the unused films, she put the set back into the box and wrapped it up with the wrapping paper she secretly bought previously at the airport. "All done!" she smiled contentetly, as she let out a sigh, all she can pray for is for her to have a strong willpower - to be able to survive the imminent ordeal, she didn't want to live every day in fear anymore, she gonna face everything the next day.

As she placed the gift on the table desk, she was unable to contain her curiosity, why would Myungsoo never ever let her touch his camera? Sitting with her knees pulled close to her, she sat with her back gainst the wall is she stealthily pressed on the 'view images' button, only to discover pictures of herself in at least half of the collection. Although it seemed creepy, as if her little donsaeng was a stalker, the pictures seemed to have shown the real side of her, the side that she had never seen before. Has she found happiness only when she was with him? Lifting her head to steal a glance at Myungsoo, Seoyoung's heart start rushing, just like how she was in the beginning, the feelings she had when she was with Woohyun. Probably she liked Myungsoo too?

She crawled to the sofa and looked at him, his closed chocolate eyes and the lips of his. Constraining her hands from reaching out to carress his face, she felt a sense of embarrassment rush up her cheeks as it became burning hot. "Merry Chirstmas," she whispered before returning back to the room.
 



Myungsoo jumped out of the sofa, "Noona, Noona," he mutterred under his breath. His dream -or you can say nightmare- had finally made woke him up from his deep slumber. He searched frantically around the house, but to no avail. Punching the wall, he growled, "Didn't she promise me she'll be here?" Taking a quick glance at the clock, he realised it was only 7, yes 7, where could she be?

Feeling the vibration from his pocket, he fished out his phone and saw the Caller ID 'Noona'. Before he managed to release his anger, he heard her, "Hey Myunggie! You're awake! Sorry, didn't want to wake you since you're in such deep sleep, I'm out to buy breakfast! Wait for me, I'll be back soon!" she echoed through the phone. Suddenly, he remembered that familiar scene - it was in his dream, his nightmare when Seo Young really did get into a car accident at 7.10 one morning when she went to buy breakfast. His heart skipped a beat as he quickly cut her, "Noona, where are you? Did you take a taxi?" his voice trembling. "A few blocks away from your house. Yes, I just boarded the taxi, don't worry,  give me five minutes, I'll be back!" then  she ended the call.

Meanwhile, seconds ticked by, he didn't have anymore time to waste. Grabbing his coat, he zoomed past the door and out onto the streets. Despite the cold, he was sweating drips of cold sweat, he was on the verge of tears. He started to blabber incoherently, ensuring himself that there was still time. At the same time, he had to picture back the accident scene in his dream, and direct himself there. As he ran, he tried calling her again but it seemed as if she was trying to avoid his call. His footsteps got heavier as he took every step, his stamina was not strong, but he had to rush there, he needed to save her.

7.10, he stop in his tracks as he shuffled forward, a tear escaped his eyes as he watched the taxi flew in the air, flipping over. "Noona," he breathed as he dropped onto his knees, burrying his face in his hands. He was a jinx.

As he lifted his wet face, the image in front of him revealed itself. He opened wide his steps as he ran towards the motionless body that was surrounded by a pool of blood. "Noo-Noona, don't leave me, please. You've promised to be mine this Christmas, let's leave, go back to America, don't go, chebal," he confessed as he held her upper body in his arms. He could feel, she was still alive, she was breathing. All he could hear was a muffled "Merry christmas" and a fading "Mianhae" before she fell into unconsciousness. "I promise to be with you, forget about Woohyun," Myungsoo said while sniffing his tears, before he saw a tear trickled down from Seo Young's face. He knew she could hear him.

"Emergency over here!" a paramedic shouted when she saw Seo Young's condition. As the firemen lifted up the car, fewer other paramedics helped carry her up the stretcher and directed her into the ambulance. Myungsoo followed them as he too got on the ambulance and stood by her the rest of the time, holding her hands in his and mutterring to himself. He was not someone who cried easily but he was then, sobbing his heart out.

"Loss of blood! Bring her to the emergency ward!" the nurses at the hospital shouted and everywhere seemed to be so chaotic. Myungsoo's mind was just a piece of blank, he can do nothing to help her anymore, except to inform Woohyun about it.
 



"What are you trying to do now? Mr Kim! I've entrusted her with you for less then a day and look at her," Woohyun eyes was glaring with anger as he help Myungsoo by the collar. By then, Myungsoo was already mentally and physically worn out, he did expect all this, but he did try to stop it from happenning.

"Mian-"

"I don't need your apolody, I need her to come out - alive,"

Myungsoo remained silent, his eyes telling Woohyun to give up hope, his 'curse' never spared anyone.

After five hours of conducting the gruelling operation, the doctor came out of the ward with a serious look in his face as he let out a sigh. He took out his gloves as he rubbed his hands, saying, "Congratulations, she managed to pull through this ordeal."

"Myungsoo or Woohyun, she would just have to break one of their heart."