Almost was Never Enough

Room 17: Almost

His hand was large yet soft, his eyes were sharp yet gentle and he would always call Jihoon's name like it was a melody. Jihoon smiled at the sight of his friend, he could feel his warm hand on his head, it was something he'd be pissed off, but because it was him he couldn't say no. Jihoon and Wonwoo met during their senior year of highschool. The two weren't similar but they got along well enough to be inseparable.

At first, Jihoon thought that he was just happy and content to have a friend like him. Wonwoo was the only one who tried to understand him and his personality. Jihoon was always the odd one out, he was too serious and too blunt, but Wonwoo was the only one who smiled at him. He was content just being by Wonwoo's side, but somehow when the thought of separation and graduation got to him, Jihoon felt uneasy.

It wasn't easy for Jihoon to understand his own feelings at first, but the more he thought of Wonwoo, the more he slowly gave in to his own emotions. Of course, he had a hard time coming into conclusion with himself. Jihoon barely liked anybody in that kind of way and it just so happens that the person he liked was a guy. But Jihoon made it his mission to be with him no matter what. 

"Hey.. what are your plans for university?" Asked Jihoon. They were in the school's rooftop. Although students were prohibited, they would always sneak out and hang out, one of the benefits when Jihoon was the student council president.

"Me?" Wonwoo leaned on the railings, the cool breeze messing up his raven like hair. "I'm going to be a doctor."

"So medical school.." Jihoon sighed.

"Yeah." Wonwoo said in a nonchalant manner, "It takes years to be a doctor, but I'm determined to be one."

"I see.." Jihoon looked to his side, the thought of the two of them not having time for each other made him sad.

"What about you?" Wonwoo looked to his side to look at the smaller boy. He could easily sense and read the situation as he could see Jihoon's shoulders curling. "It would be great if you were with me though" 

Jihoon suddenly turned red all over, hearing those words made him happy. "I..." Jihoon stammered with his words a bit, "I guess I'll have to be a nurse or something."

"Are you sure about that?" Wonwoo asked, "I thought you were going to pursue music?"

"If I'm not with you, who knows where you'll sleep? You depend on me too much!" Jihoon retorted.

"I don't know if I should get offended or not." Wonwoo gave a hearty chuckle, placing a hand on Jihoon's hair, "But thank you. Let's work hard together."

Just by his touch alone, Jihoon could melt into a puddle right then and there. "Yeah.." He responded timidly.

Birthdays passed by and long winters went by, as they continued their friendship in college. During their stay in university, the two of them grew extremely popular. Men and women would approach them, Jihoon thought it was too troublesome while Wonwoo would always ignore other people's advances. Jihoon continued to stay by Wonwoo's side, unable to tell him his own feelings.Jihoon wasn't greedy, he was content with the way things are, being good friends with Wonwoo was enough.

Although there were times where Wonwoo had short-lived relationship with girls, he continued to smile and support him. Jihoon wasn't the self-sacrificing type yet he always hid his own feelings in able to stay with Wonwoo's side. The way Wonwoo smelled, the way Wonwoo smiled and the way Wonwoo would hook an arm around his neck, they were all precious things that Jihoon couldn't give up. Just being friends was enough.

Jihoon worked hard on his studies, he wanted to be of use to Wonwoo as soon as possible. He would sacrifice his sleep and would often do more hours in the field more than the requirement. He wanted to be the best for him so he worked to be what Wonwoo needed him to. 

"What do you think of that person?" Wonwoo asked, they were sitting on a bench just by the yard in their university.

"Hmm? She's your type." Jihoon said in a simple manner. He was used to this, he was used to hiding what he really felt and continued to support Wonwoo as a friend.

"Right?" Wonwoo gave a smile.

"But I think now is not the right time, since exams are coming up." Jihoon retorted.

Wonwoo glanced at his friend, he could see Jihoon's blank like eyes as the smaller man fiddled with his lunchbox. Wonwoo gave a soft chuckle, somehow being with his friend felt a sense of comfort for him.

"That's true." Wonwoo agreed, "Maybe you should keep me company till exams are over?"

Jihoon immediately met Wonwoo's dark eyes, he could feel his heart beat raising and his temparature rising. Jihoon barely realized he turned red as a tomato, but he responded with knotted brows and a frown, "Are you asking me to help you study?"

"Yup." Wonwoo gave a carefree chuckle.

"What a bad way to word it out." Jihoon rolled his eyes.

Somehow, even though Jihoon knew that it wasn't what Wonwoo meant, he wanted to hope, he wanted to believe even just for a little bit that Wonwoo was attracted to him in that kind of way.Jihoon chuckled to himself maybe he should have pursued acting instead? He was good after all.

Then time flew by quickly for them. Jihoon continued to foolishly follow Wonwoo around, even getting assigned to the same hospital as him. Wonwoo was a well respected doctor while Jihoon was a hardworking nurse. They were a famous pair in the medical field. Wonwoo being the charismatic doctor while Jihoon was the intelligent nurse.

Some people might call it amazing if people knew how Jihoon was holding on to such a relationship. But no one knew how he would get up everyday and put on a mask that tried to be as happy as possible, that tried to conceal the love he had for his friend. And at night when he comes home, he would cry himself to sleep, hating himself for being such a fool, a fool that would go to such an extent to be with the person they loved.

Jihoon knew what he was getting into when he fell in love with Wonwoo. He knew it wouldn't have a happy ending like the stories he read, but he still kept a smile on his face for him. He envied other people, how they can freely express their emotions and their feelings. He envied couples and how they have a mutual understanding of their feeling for each other.

It was just another day in the hospital, Jihoon ran back and forth to tend to other people when he was assign to Room 17. The patient was a college kid, he was too loud and too tall. Jihoon hated tending to the person in room 17, but somehow he felt a sense of comfort with him.

"You look tired." Wonwoo commented.

"It's that damned patient in room 17! He is too noisy!" Jihoon barked, gulping down a cup of coffee.

"But you look like you're having fun over there." Wonwoo gave a curt smile.

Jihoon had to give that to him, meeting that patient gave him a bit of a breather. He would somehow be in a good mood even though he was still annoyed by that person. Jihoon thought after a week, his life would be back to normal, since the patient from room 17 was already discharged but he was wrong. Jihoon had to put up with the noisy patient through the days and nights since the guy would always come back to hang around him.

Jihoon wasn't sure but he felt something he never felt before, he felt genuinely happy when the guy was around. Jihoon would always expect his puppy like presence, and even when it gets a bit irritating, he would always hide a small smile as he would watch him eat custard from the cafeteria so happily.

Wonwoo would always catch them together, he would always see the look Jihoon would give the patient named, Mingyu. It was something he didn't see for a long time. The loving gaze he would receive from Jihoon was already passed to the kid that would always hang around his friend. Somehow Wonwoo felt alone at that point. Every time he passed by them he would clutch on his folder or place a fist in his pocket, he felt like Jihoon was taken away from him, since he was used to Jihoon being beside him at all costs.

"What are you doing, doctor?" Asked Nurse Seungkwan from the west wing.

"What do you mean?" Wonwoo fixed his glasses.

"Are you okay with Jihoon hyung getting taken away by that tall kid?" Nurse Seungkwan said, he always had a sharp sense when it comes to these things.

"Well... It's too late for me, isn't it?" Wonwoo gave a sorrowful smile, "I was just too late." Wonwoo didn't let Seungkwan respond, he continued to walk and walk as he tried to remain as calm as possible. Just when he realized that the person he loved the most was no longer beside him, he was filled with regret. "... Now those eyes are looking at someone else." Wonwoo mumbled.

Wonwoo always thought Jihoon stayed beside him because of their friendship, but the more he spent time with Jihoon on the field the more he realized the small things that made him fall in love with his nurse. Yet it was all too late. They were almost lovers.


AN: goddamnit wonwoo you slow sloth asdfghjkl hahahahaha jk jk