that clear, burning liquid

lazy summer night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Simple Soundtrack

"Save Me" Piano Ver 

"I Need U" Piano Ver

 

 

 

          Min Yoongi closed and opened his eyes slowly as he took his seat on the plastic bar stool next to the woman that was supposed to be older than him by one year.  Although another hot, humid summer was finally coming to an end, the days were still just as lazy and restless as ever.  Unfortunately, he didn’t get much done at work today.  His brain just wasn’t creative as it usually was.  He used to be able to produce a decent song in a time span of 40 minutes, but that hasn’t been the case for some time now.  Maybe it was because he was getting “old.”  Or, maybe he just needed a vacation.  He had been working hard at BigHit Entertainment without taking a single vacation for the last 3 years after all.

           He let out a long, tired sigh and then glanced at the completely empty bottle of soju in front of him.  A scoff automatically escaped his parted lips.  “If you’re going to be drinking, at least wait for me to get here first.” he complained.  He turned to the food vendor as she walked past their table.  “Excuse me, may we get one more bottle of soju and a plate of spicy stir fried squid please?”

            “Of course.” nodded the lady.  She seemed rather tense tonight and Yoongi wondered why.

            “Where’s Seokjin Hyung?” He turned to glanced at the woman at his side.  From her heavy silence and the way the corner of her lips downturned into a tiny frown, something was obviously wrong.  “Noona, where is he?  He’s supposed to be here with you.  He texted me th-”

            The look that Lee Yeji flashed him stopped him mid sentence.  Her eyes were budding tears as she glared at him.  She held an angry gaze for a while as those tears fell down down her cheeks.

            “We broke up.”  He could barely hear her whispering words through the clattering chopsticks, thudding glass cups, and thundering voices from the people around them.  Yoongi parted his dry lips to say something when she continued with a small, aspirated gasp.  “We broke up.”  Her voice was a little louder this time around, but it was barely audible.

            He blinked slowly as he stared at the young woman in front of him.  She immediately buried her face into the palms of her hand as a soft cry shook through her body.  Yoongi watched her helplessly and uncomfortably, unsure of what to do.  In the years that they’ve known each other, he had never seen her cry this hard.  He glanced at the food vendor as she placed a plate of spicy stir fried squid and soju on the table.  All the lady did was looked at Yeji pitifully and that alone made Yoongi want to leave the place.  As much as he cared for her, he could feel the drilling gaze of by passers, on lookers, and strangers and it bothered him.  And of course, he of all people, had never liked that sort of attention at all.

            He quickly glanced around to see people giving Yeji questioning glances and he frowned.  Stop ing staring, he thought.  Mind your own damn business.

            “Maybe we should leave.” suggested Yoongi when she grabbed the new bottle of soju.  He quickly reached out and gently pulled the green bottle out of her hands, making sure it was well out of her reach.

            “No.” mumbled Yeji, through her tears. 

            He let out a heavy sigh.  “Noona.” His frown deepened as she turned to him to grab the soju bottle out of his hands.  “You’ve already had enough alcohol for the night.”  It was only one bottle, but he didn’t want to deal with her being drunk later.

            “No, I haven’t.”

            “Let’s go home.”  Yoongi quickly stood up and pulled Yeji to her feet with his free hand.  He placed the green soju bottle on the table and was about to pull out his wallet from his back pocket when she muttered something.

            “No.”

            “Noona, it’s-”

            “NNNOOO!!”  Her voice was loud and clear.  It almost sounded like a jarred war cry only if she wasn’t actually spilling tears from her eyes.  Everyone’s eyes were on them and he could feel the prickle of their judgmental stares on his skin. 

           “Yoongi-ah.” she called out with a whispering voice.  “I don’t want to go home.”  She shook her head.  “Not home.  Not right now.  Please?”

           He watched her as that wet face of hers scrunch up in emotional pain. “OK, OK.” he mumbled, giving in.  His biggest weakness when it came to Lee Yeji was how he hated when she begged him, whether while she was intoxicated or sober.  He absolutely hated it so he just usually gave in even when there are consequences. 

           He made her sit down as he quickly placed 25,000 won bills on the table.  Then, he grabbed her purse off of one of the stools and draped it over his shoulder as he wrapped his fingers and palm around hers.  Within seconds, they were out of that food vendor’s tent.  He wasn’t sure where they were heading, but they were going somewhere.  He soon realized that he had aimlessly lead them to the Han river.  The view of the dark river unfolded itself before them and he frowned. 

           Of all places, he wasn’t even sure himself why he had brought them there.

           “Yoongi-ah.” panted Yeji. 

           It wasn’t until then when he realized that he was also breathing hard himself.  It was almost as if they were running, but they didn’t, right?  He would never choose to run even if he had the energy to do so, but it was strange that he apparently did.  It was almost as if he was trying to run away from something, but he wasn’t sure of what.  He felt her hand shake out of their physically intertwined bond as she settled herself on the cool grass, still gasping for air. 

           “Yah…  Why the hell were we running anyways?” 

           He ignored the question as he glanced at her because he couldn’t even comprehend his own reasoning.   The man let out a scoff once again, but with a smile this time around.  The woman must have grabbed the newly, unopened soju bottle off the table as he pulled her out of the food vendor’s tent.  Yoongi let out a long sigh as he sat next to her.  “You are quite something, aren’t you?” he asked as he took the bottle out of her hands. 

           She let out a cry of disapproval, but stopped when he successfully unscrewed the top off.  He took a gulp from it himself and then handed it to her.  If she thought she needed a break from life, he needed it more because he had to mentally prepare himself for all the crying, , and self loathing she was bound to go through and make him suffer through too in the next few months or so.  Misery loves company after all and cheers to being a good friend.

           The man watched the woman in front of him down the clear liquor in small sips.  Her silence caused him to hesitate, but his curiousity got the best of him.  “Did you and Hyung get into a pretty bad agruement?”

           She sat there not saying anything as she thumbed the opening of the green glass bottle in front of her.    She gulped some more soju and then handed the container to him.  “Finish it.”  It wasn’t just a simple statement, but a pleading demand.

           Not wanting to fight with a buzzed woman, he did as she commanded.  He drank the soju bit by bit since the alcohol was starting to eat away his throat.  He blinked slowly as he stared into the dark abyss of the Han river, with the skyscrapers in the background lit with sparkling lights as the sun set painted the sky of shades bits of orange, pink, and dark purple.  Crickets had started to chirp already – the usual soundtrack of summer nights.  Things almost seemed surreal as his slightly fuzzy mind started to mingle in and out of his thoughts and memories.

            Kim Seokjin.

            That was Yeji’s boyfriend – or ex-boyfriend now.  They started dating about a year and more ago.  Apparently, they had met through one of Yeji’s coworkers and seemed to have hit it off right away.  She never told Yoongi about him for some time and he still wondered why.  Was she worried about something?  Was he that much of a ty person that she didn’t want her amazing ex-boyfriend to know that he existed until months after they started dating?

            “Yoongi-ah,” Her soft voice pulled him out of his lingering thoughts.  He turned to her as she paused for a moment.  “The reason why we broke up was because Seokjin was jealous of you.”

            It must had been the alcohol and how it was finally settling into his brain that slowed his reaction.  He took a moment too long to full understand what she had said.  “Huh?” he questioned, dumbfounded.

            “He was jealous of you.” stated Yeji, louder.

            Yoongi felt his brows knot in confusion.  “T-That doesn’t make any sense.” he thought aloud.

            It didn’t make any sense at all.  What was there to be jealous about?  Nothing.  Seokjin had everything made for him.  He was tall, good looking, and had a nice personality.  Everyone liked him.  Even Yoongi, himself, liked him.  Kim Seokjin fitted that cookie cutter mold that the Korean society wanted men to be.  He was probably the perfect child and definitely the perfect boyfriend and/or husband.  The guy even knew how to cook too!  Meanwhile Yoongi didn’t fit this mold at all.  He was short, OK looking, and had a bland personality.  He was the black sheep of the family as a kid and was still one as an adult by not having a traditional career.  One thing he did have that he thought was valuable was his passion for music and that wasn’t something Seokjin would be jealous about to be very honest.

            “Why?” Yoongi inquired.  He only had a few sips of that clear and burning liquid, but he could hear how his voice slurred a little bit and that made him slightly irritated.  He shouldn’t be this sensitive to the soju, but his body disagreed.  It had definitely been some time since he last drank for sure, but when did he become so weak?

            He turned to watch her as he pushed the thought of being buzzed off of the soju out his mind.  She looked hesitant as she ignored his gaze by staring at the grass.  “He thought that I was cheating on him with you behind his back.”

            Immediately, Yoongi felt his heart race with anger.  “THAT’S ABSURD!” he said.  He was trying to be calm, but he unfortunately couldn’t contain the burning emotions he was feeling.  Everything was building up so fast that he had to let it out or else he’d end up suffocating himself.  “That’s the dumbest and tiest reason ever!  How can you and I possibly do that?  WHY WOULD WE GET TOGETHER FOR THE HELL OF IT BEHIND HIS BACK?  WHY THE HELL WOULD-”

            “BECAUSE HE WAS INSECURE, YOONGI!!” interrupted the woman, pulling him out of his monologue.  She let out a sharp gasp as she turned to finally face him.  Her usual gentle eyes were hard and cold.  “Kim Seokjin wasn’t exactly the type of guy that had a lot of confidence all the time.”  He blink

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter