My Mother's Maid

Autumn Is Here! [ EDITING ]
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Eugene Kim, a thirty-seven years old fashion editor-in-chief at Atelier L.L.C., the third sister to a particular large Kim Household in Cheongdamdong, Seoul, South Korea wanted a companion to live with her, to become an assistant for her, somewhat of a maid; She hired a girl that she met from a cafe shop oversea. She wanted a young pretty girl to remind her of her handsome son. She had one son with an ex-husband in a particular wealthy Im Household. The son was named Im Jaebum. Jaebum was twenty-one years old. Despite being the only son, he didn’t live with his mom, nor his dad. He ran away from home since few years ago and had lived by himself since then. He visited his mom mostly on holidays that he deemed important, otherwise Eugene could only see him through the TV. 

 

––•••––

 

“The Asian Soul,” he called himself. 

 

Actually his name was JYP, Park Jin Young in full. The manager who scouted and signed Jaebum after he saw him dancing on the street with his friends. They had been best bud and manager-assistant to each other since two years ago. Well, in the mind of JYP, they were. Even though Jaebum was only a small-fry idol at the company, JYP cherished him a lot, mainly because Jaebum was the company famous faceless, nameless ghost-writer that went under the pen-name, Def. And he was the only person that knew but not allowed to tell anyone or their contract would be nulled and he would be left as a useless manager, a useless penniless manager! And that thought killed him every moment of the day, because he wanted so bad to use that to media-play the **** out of his group for having a prodigy as a member. What killed JYP even more was when the group that he put together, ‘ELEVATED’, with Jaebum as the center disbanded in no more than six months and he got demoted. He was not allowed to speak a word, not a letter about Jaebum’s talents to even the upper people. Jaebum demanded that not a soul should be known. And thus, JYP had been thinking and searching everyday for new talents so he could one day break free from dependency. 

 

––•••––

 

Jackson Wang was a twenty-years-old student from Hong Kong. Currently living abroad in South Korea to try out ‘independent living’. He received about $10,000 dollars in allowance every month from his wealthy parents. Socializing was his top major. That, and his apartment in Gangnam.

 

“Hello? Mommy! I miss you!” He gave her kisses through the phone, “Mommy I–What? You’re cutting off my allowance? How much? 9K!” He dropped his phone and he himself landed on the floor in front of his new girlfriend. Goodbye to new girlfriend, goodbye to Gangnam’s apartment and goodbye to ‘independent living’. 

 

––•••––

 

Park Jinyoung, a younger unfortunate one, who shared the same name as that ‘Asian Soul’. A twenty-years-old cousin of Jaebum. He lived with his mother, Kim JinKyung. His father was a Park, but little was known about him. And his mother refused to tell more about it. He was an aspiring idol who was in the same company as Jaebum but the two rarely met. They tried to keep away from each other as much as possible. The two of them didn’t even meet outside of work. Jinyoung lived with the Kim Household while Jaebum was out living by himself. Occasionally when Jaebum returned home, they would see each other’s face for a brief moment. They had became an elusive pair of cousins to each other ever since long ago.  

 

“Jinyoung-ah!” His manager called, dashing into his training session, “You got it Jinyoung-ah! Your first role!”

 

 Jinyoung smiled ecstatically, but his manager was quick to point it out to him that it was only a small role. However, Jinyoung still smiled and replied with enthusiasm, “It’s okay, better than none.” 

 

––•••––

 

Moon Gaeul had just return from abroad, yet, already she found a job at Atelier L.L.C., a small fashion house, owned by Eugene Kim. 

 

What was her job there? She had no idea, but strangely the contract stated that she had to live at the owner’s resident for at least three months. Gaeul had thought that she would be an assistant or some sort. And indeed she would be one, but not anything relating to Atelier. 

 

Gaeul sighed, left her luggage in the entrance to go look around the apartment. After a few minutes looking around she ended up sleeping on the couch overnight. 

 

When the sunlight hit her face, she yawned and opened her eyes. When she heard the clicking of the keys, “Is she finally home?” she groggily asked. 

 

“Umma.” It was a deep manly voice that answered, “Something happened to my place. I’m gonna live here for the next few months.”

 

Gaeul nodded with face still planted on the armrest of the couch. She waved her hand in the air, “mm…mm…” 

 

He sighed after seeing her suitcase and said, “Even if you have jet-lag, at least sleep in your room.” He advised before dragging his suitcase to his room on the second floor.

 

Gaeul groaned, jerked up when she heard the door slammed. “What’s that?” Her eyes shot opened. She looked around and concluded, “Must’ve been a dream.” She moaned, plopping back down and jerked up again when her phone rang, “Hhhellooo?” She drawled out her word. 

 

“Aigoo, I’m very sorry, Gaeul-shi,” Eugene said, “I had an unexpected meeting, I couldn’t make it back to welcome you. I hope you like the place. Did you see your room?” 

 

“Hm?” Gaeul groaned, questioning everything that she had just heard. 

 

“I see you’ve settled in well, I’m glad. I won’t disturb your sleep, rest well Gaeul-shi.” 

 

Eugene hung up and Gaeul bit her lips in anxiousness. Her eyebrows came together when she pieced together the noises and the voice that she had just heard. She sighed and shrugged when she saw the house emptied of people. She then dragged herself off the couch and grabbed her suitcase to go upstairs. The room that wasn’t locked was for her. Inside the room was a simple and neat set up: A twin bed, a desk and the closet. The room key was placed on the table, along with a letter. 

 

 

Gaeul-shi, 

 

You might be surprised why I personally hire you but not letting you work at the company. Frankly speaking, I am greedy and selfish. My son doesn’t want to live with me. I feel a little lonely. When I saw you at the Pier Coffee Shop I thought it would be nice to have a lovely young girl around the house. Treat me like an aunty or a mother if you so wished. My son is probably your age. This might sounds odd, but your job is just that, keeping me company. My life have been very destructive the past years. I think it would work out nicely that I have a maid at home.

 

Sincerely, Your Boss - Eugene Kim.

 

 

“The…hell?” 

 

Gaeul was a little astonished at her new boss, but she needed a place to stay for the next three months. Searching for an apartment in Seoul was something that should be done months ago. Furthermore she had little money left, so staying will be the best option for her. And being a maid to the Editor-in-Chie

Please log in to read the full chapter