let's go for a walk on the cul-de-sac

Puppy Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi! My name is Cullie, and I’m a little Jack Russell Terrier. I am almost 7 years old, despite my human friend telling everyone I am almost a year old. I think time moves slower for humans. Maybe it’s good because they have so much to do in one day!
 

My human friend who tells everyone my wrong age is called Jimin. He is very very big and strong! One time I got stuck behind the big blue couch and he picked it up like it was a feather! He always picks me up too. It’s how we first met. He found me under a sign that said “Dead End Street”. I’m not sure why the End Street died, but I hope it went to a happier place.
 

That’s what humans say when someone dies. My human friend who tells everyone my wrong age called Jimin used to have a grandma, but she died. I was the one who found her. Later, I was in her room and I could smell her, but it made me sad, so Jimin told me, “It’s okay. She’s in a happier place now.”
 

Jimin tells me everything. He tells me about the people he meets at work and the people in the box in the living room. (The living room isn’t actually alive, I have figured. I know, it confused me, too. But you get used to it.) The people in the box in the dead-(like End Street? Will investigate.)-living room say things that make Jimin express emotions. Sometimes he laughs, and sometimes he cries. I always his tears. That makes him laugh. Sometimes he laughs so much he cries! I don’t those tears. Jimin told me not to.
 

I always do what Jimin tells me to do because I trust him. He is big, and strong, and can see more than I can, and he is super smart, and also older than me. Before he met me and picked me up from under the sign of the dead End Street (maybe it was a gravestone? Like Jimin’s grandma who went to a happier place who we visit sometimes. I can see why it’s a happier place--all everyone ever does is dig holes in the ground. I love doing that!) I used to do things that Jimin never told me to do, because I hadn’t met him yet. I would always end up getting hurt, and one time I got bitten by a squirrel, and ever since, I have a hole in my right ear. (Is my other ear wrong?)
 

Jimin tells me about his feelings, too. He tells me about how he is sad that his brother is moving out of town for university. That’s school for super smart people like Jimin. And people who don’t go to university are sometimes even smarter. I don’t know anyone smarter than Jimin. Jimin tells me about how he is mad that one of the box-people is hurting another box-person. Jimin never hurts anybody. Except for the time he stepped on a sleeping street cat’s tail by accident, but that’s okay because everyone knows all cats are evil anyway. I had to step up and growl at the cat. I really hate growling because it makes Jimin nervous, so I don’t ever use it until I really really have to.
 

There’s a girl-human who also has a dog that’s called Socks, I think it’s because he is always very smelly. Socks doesn’t speak to me, so I don’t speak to him. He doesn’t even look at me when I pee on the leg of the mail eater that isn’t me and is made of metal. I wonder if he doesn’t care that he is in my territory.
 

Jimin tells me how he feels about the girl-human who is the human friend of Socks, and he uses words like “love” and “pretty” and “ideal type”. I wonder if the girl-human is also a box-person?
 

One day when we meet the girl-human and Socks when we are walking, Jimin asks if she wants to eat dinner sometime, which is strange because who doesn’t want to eat dinner? Do humans sometimes not eat dinner? I can’t survive without dinner. I can’t sleep because my stomach gurgles and it wakes me up. The girl-human says yes and they exchange numbers.
 

Jimin prepares for ages. But he never forgets to feed me, too, and play with me, and tell me I’m pretty. I his mouth. I’ve done that all the time. He likes it. It makes him laugh. I like his laugh. But mostly I play by myself because Jimin is busy a lot. He buys new things for the house that I’m not allowed to touch. I can only sniff it, and they don’t smell good anyway, so I leave them alone. Then Jimin puts water and flowers into the new things. The kitchen smells really good, and I am allowed there as long as I sit still, and help Jimin taste test the food. I wag my tail if it’s good, and look away if it isn’t. Jimin’s food always makes me wag my tail.
 

The doorbell rings, which I’m still not used to. I bark at it, and it shuts up. I think it’s scared of me. Jimin goes to the door, but he is wearing kitchen clothes but he is not in the kitchen? That’s not right. I think he knows this too, because he quickly takes the cloth off and holds it behind his back. He opens the door. It’s the girl-human who is Jimin’s possibly-box-person ideal type and has a dog called Socks. I want the kitchen clothes back in the kitchen where they belong because Jimin doesn’t like for things to be in the wrong places, like when I used to leave my tennis balls on the floor and he would trip on them, or my squeaky toys by his slippers and it would scare him when he stood up in the morning. I run up and grab the kitchen clothes in my mouth. The kitchen clothes go in the bottom drawer. I can open it a little with my paw on the handle, and then I can stick my paw in the hole and open it more. I put the cloth back and push the drawer so it closes and I run back to Jimin, who I don’t want to leave alone when he is nervous because I know that the girl-human makes him nervous. He’s told me so.
 

The girl-human whose name is Haeryung crouches down and pets my head. She calls me “such a smart girl, so smart!” but doesn’t she know that no one is smarter than Jimin? Maybe it’s just because she’s not as smart as him. Does that mean I am smarter than her?
 

It is dinner time and Jimin puts out the food he made and it smells really good! He even put some different stuff in a small plate for me, too. It’s a raw chicken bone. I like it because it tastes delicious. Then he rips up some pieces of his own cooked chicken and gives it to me. I am busy eating that, and Jimin and Haeryung who is Jimin’s ideal type keep talking for more. Humans talk a lot. Why do humans complain about dogs barking? We never complain about how much they talk.
 

Then Jimin gets up and so does Haeryung, and they go to the dead-living room, and they sit on the big couch and Jimin turns on the box with the people in it, and the box is really loud, but Jimin notices too, and he makes it quiet. Sometimes he tells me to be quiet with his voice, but he never does that with the box. I don’t think the box is smarter than me. Is it smarter than Haeryung?
 

While we are all watching the box-people do crazy things, Jimin and Haeryung aren’t talking. It has been forever and a half when I hear something that sounds a lot like me when I am drinking water from my bowl. I wonder if Jimin is showing Haeryung the smaller box which has me in it sometimes. If so, I want to see it too. I turn around, and he is not showing her the smaller box. She is his mouth! Only I am allowed to his mouth! Sometimes his grandma would his mouth, and he would complain, but he never complains when I do it, so I am the only one who is allowed to! His hand goes up to her face. He is trying to push her off! I must help!
 

I use the only way I think might help: barking. I hate it, but maybe she would hate it more than me and Jimin, and she will leave Jimin alone.
 

Jimin frowns, but Haeryung does not stop. That is, until I bite her dress. She screams.
 

Jimin turns to me and yells, “Cul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter