004 - How convenient

Spring Awakening

It seemed as if every encounter of theirs was destined to turn sour. Ten wanted to like Johnny, he wanted there to be no weird tension between them but the universe had other ideas. Or maybe Johnny didn't want to be friends with him. Maybe he was doing it on purpose. Since their last rehearsal, Ten was suspicious.

Johnny, on the other hand, was loving it.

He'd managed to get something out of the stranger, even if it was a lashing. It was a start but Johnny wanted more. 

They didn't practice their scene for the next week. The director wanted to focus on the vocals, learning harmonies, making sure everyone knew the lyrics and teaching how to put in the right emotion. They had four rehearsals a week, each at least five hours long. No one minded. They were doing something they loved, they had nothing to complain about.

The group hung out once again at the cafe, minus Ten. He dashed off before anyone could grab him. But Johnny went along, Ten on his mind. Where did he run off to with such haste? It was bothering him. It shouldn't, he was just being nosy. He wanted to know everything about Ten, he wanted to figure him out but how could he do that if Ten refused to try?

When the group disbanded, Johnny headed back on his own, deep in his thoughts of ways he could get into Ten's head and draw him out. He received a text from his mom, asking him to get some sanitary pads for her, much to his dismay. He protested but her argument was always "they obviously know they're not for you". Heading into the store, Johnny scuffed his feet along the floor, grabbing the brand she wanted before heading up to the desk.

"No ing way." Johnny couldn't believe his luck when he saw the small dark haired boy in front of him, crouched across the counter, chin cradled in his palm with a disdained look on his face. It only sunk further as his eyes met Johnny's, followed by a deep groan.

"Did you follow me here, or something?"

"Don't flatter yourself, it doesn't suit you." Johnny slammed the packet on the counter, followed by a note. "I'm here for these. My flows been a bit messed up recently, driving my hormones crazy. Might be why I've been so moody with you."

Johnny's full lips spread into a bright smile and Ten was forced to attempt to hide his own. Not very well, Johnny noticed the corners of his mouth turning up as he scanned the packet.

"Bag?"

"No thanks, got my own." He took the item and stuffed it in his back pack, zipping it up before taking his change. Their fingers brushed, only briefly, but they both noticed. Johnny's were cold, Ten's were warm, both taken back by the temperature shock. There was a silence as Johnny stared at the younger, Ten avoiding eye contact as always. "What time do you get off?"

"I-" Ten looked up, brows knotting into a frown. "Why?"

"Wanna hang out?"

"Just us?

"Yeah." Johnny nodded. He thought they only way he could actually get Ten to talk was to be alone with him. He seemed fine with everyone else but himself, he wanted to be close too. "What time?"

"Can you move?  You're holding up the line." Ten spoke quietly, gaze flickering to the waiting woman behind him. Johnny sighed, knowing he wasn't getting anywhere.

"Fine." He left pretty quickly, frowning to himself. What was his deal? Why was he being so stubborn? Johnny was trying, Ten was the one being a brat. But he wasn't giving up. It was four, the store closed at seven. He'd wait.

Thankfully, it wasn't long. Ten left just after six, zipping his jacket up, about to his headphones in when Johnny crept up behind him, an arm draping across the shorter's shoulders. Ten jumped, looking up in horror at the other.

"Jesus- What..." Ten couldn't gather his words, entirely surprised by Johnny's appearance. "Were you waiting for me?"

"Maybe." Johnny simply smirked, looking dead ahead as he tugged Ten along. "I wanted to hang out and you were being stubborn. So come on, let's go somewhere. You pick."

"I'm going home." Ten pushed Johnny's arm off his shoulder, shifting his bag strap on his shoulder.

"Awesome, I'll come too."

"No!" Ten stopped, staring in disbelief at Johnny. "Why are you-"

"Why are you being stubborn?"

"Why are you interrupting me?"

"Why are you avoiding me?"

Ten didn't retaliate. He wasn't avoiding Johnny. He wanted to like Johnny, he wanted to be friends but he didn't know how. He just thought it best to hang back, let things play out and- Oh. He was avoiding him. 

"I'm not avoiding you."

"Then let's hang out. Let's.. Go get coffee or something. My treat." Ten hesitated. He wanted to go home, get into bed and spend the next few hours on Netflix watching conspiracy theory documentaries. "Half an hour. That's all I'm asking."

Ten found himself agreeing and, ten minutes later, cooped up in the nearest Starbucks with a mug in his hand, Johnny sat opposite, staring as usual. He kept his gaze to the left, staring at the window, watching the cars zoom past, people heading home from work. It was silent, it had been since they'd sat down, neither really knowing where to start. Ten didn't mind. He enjoyed the silence and was relieved that Johnny wasn't pestering him with questions.

"How old are you?" It was nice while it lasted. Ten exhaled slowly, sitting up, dragging his attention towards Johnny. 

"Twenty."

"How long have you been here in Chicago?"

"A year and a half, maybe?"

"Do you like it here?"

"It's cold."

Another silence. Johnny was trying to think of questions but he wasn't sure what to ask. He didn't want to overstep the mark and scare Ten away. He'd gotten this far, he couldn't screw it up.

"What made you audition?"

Ten paused before answering. Should he be honest? He didn't want Johnny thinking he was a miserable loner with no friends, even if that's what he was. He could just lie, Johnny would never know the difference. Ten was quick enough to think of something on the spot. About to open his mouth, he was stopped by his phone ringing. He sort of hoped it was an escape. He didn't bother leaving the table, it was only his mom. He could answer in Thai, it'd be fine.

As Ten spoke, Johnny watched as the other spoke in his native tongue, unable to stop himself from admiring the view. Ten was small with cute features, exactly his type and he hated it. His skin was a beautiful tanned colour, almost glowing in the sunset. His hair was dark and fluffy, soft looking, he just wanted to touch it. The glasses perched on his face hid his eyes but Johnny knew they were a deep brown, hiding secrets that Johnny wanted to know. His favourite was Ten's nose. He liked the way it turned up at the edge, small and perky. Taking out his own phone, Johnny lent back, carefully and subtly snapping a photo of the boy opposite him. 

Ten made an excuse that he had to leave and Johnny thought he should head home too. They exited the coffee shop in silence, Johnny being a gentleman and holding the door, receiving a soft yet sincere thank you from the shorter male.

"I'll see you at rehearsals tomorrow?" Ten nodded at Johnny's words, offering a small smile before turning round, beginning to walk off. He stopped, a thought crossing his mind, turning back round to face the elder.

"To make friends." Ten fiddled with the strap of his as he spoke, trying his best to hide his vulnerability. "I joined to make friends. Chicago's nice, I wanted to find a reason to stay." He didn't say anything else. He simply his heels and headed off, pulling his headphones on.

Johnny smiled as he watched him walk away. 

He was going to give Ten a reason to stay.