~ Prologue : The beginning ~

The Prophecy

 

 

 

 

It's raining, a rapid downpour that beats heavily on Mark's umbrella, unruly winds causing the yellow object to bend slightly. But the dark haired boy is too busy taking in the building before him with steadily growing anxiousness and anticipation to care about the possibility of his umbrella being broken. It's a museum, worn and old in nature, deserted due to it having been closed down many years prior. Yet the sign still stands vigilantly in front of it, reading in crooked, rusted letters, "Museum of the Nameless". The young boy glances around the deserted roads surrounding the area before making his way inside. The concrete path leading to the museum is ragged and discontinued, but the male isn't strayed in the slightest, heading up the concrete stairs leading to the double doors. The glass holding the frame together is covered in dust and bears many cracks, the fragility of it all becoming more evident when Mark pulls the door open and the frame almost gives out. 

 

A gust of cool air, much chillier than that of the outside in the mixture of cold liquid and frosty winds, hits the male's legs upon entering. It's dark, starkly so, causing the young boy to hesitate as he reaches to grab the backpack from his shoulders and rummage through it quickly for a flashlight. Once the red and black object is gripped tightly in his hands, he places the backpack to its previous position, resting securely on his shoulder before continuing his journey into the abandoned museum. Once he clicks the flashlight to life, he's presented with the disastrous state of the building. Many paintings hang limply on the walls, some strewn across the floor, frames destroyed and images distorted. He narrowly avoids piles of marble and hard clay from sculptures that seemingly tumbled over, smashed into pieces beyond comprehension. 

 

It's eerie- the silence enveloping the massive museum, the only sound being the avid downpour taking place just outside it's worn walls. But Mark continues his trek further nonetheless. He doesn't exactly know where he should be or what he should be looking for in particular. So he wanders the halls aimlessly, until he ends up in a rather spacious room. In comparison to the other rooms, this one is empty and it's flooring is made of wood. It also appears to have withheld the most against the damages the other rooms seemed to have endured. 

 

Following the beam of the flashlight as he waves it slowly around the room, Mark is just about to turn around and head down the opposite hall when something in particular catches his attention. It's a light, but not just any light, it's an electric blue, sparkling as if willing itself to ignite. The boy makes move to analyze the oddity further, taking the first step toward it only for a flash to appear in the room's only window and the  sudden roar of thunder to startle him, causing him to drop his flashlight. Placing a hand over his rapidly beating heart and sighing at his own jumpiness, the dark haired male makes way to grab his flashlight only for a bolt of lightning to strike in that exact moment. Being so close to the electrical discharge is an enigmatic experience, and though he's caught off guard, Mark still acts quickly nonetheless, throwing himself into the furthest corner away from the flash, and curling into a ball. 

 

It's strange, so very strange, that despite being so close to the discharge, Mark felt nothing. But he could hear it, the loud crackling, and only out of pure curiosity does he open his eyes. In the exact spot that contained the spark, a rather ominous bolt of lightening appeared to continuously be striking. The young boy looks on, face scrunched slightly in confusion before it dawns on him. 

 

"It's happening." He mumbles, before an excited grin pulls at his lips and he shouts over the loud crackling of the thunder and lightning, "It's happening!" 

 

Mark stumbled to his feet then, pushing his glasses up from the tip of his nose before hurrying toward the lightning bolt. Now that he was closer he could feel the warmth and electricity pulsing from it. The force of it had tore a hole into the wood, covering a majority of the room. The bolt increases in power then it seems, as it brings the dark haired male to his knees, gripping the edges of the cracked wood in a desperate attempt for stability, and it's then that he notices what the lightning is striking, or rather whom. It's a boy, from what Mark could see, his chest bare, making direct contact with the bolt, as if the lightning were instilling him with life, his arms hanging limply by his side, and though his face was illuminated by the lightning, it was his eyes that struck Mark the most in that moment. They seemed to resemble the bolt in that moment, radiating electricity and sparking similar to the discharge. 

 

He's not sure how long it happens, this strange occurrence, this-

 

"Awakening" He mumbles in realization. A loud crackle of thunder sounds in that moment, the bolt of lightning weakening before dying altogether in a flash, the boy's body levitating momentarily only to  crash harshly into the mass of scorched wood. Mark hesitates momentarily, before pulling his backpack from his shoulders and searching through it abruptly. Once he pulls out the desired object, he sets it down on an unscathed piece of heightened wood, adjusting it's settings with shaky fingers. 

 

"This is Mark Lee, I'm at the abandoned Museum of the Nameless in Seoul. Today is Friday, the ninth of September, and the year is twenty-sixteen." He starts, adjusting the camera's position before picking up his forgotten flashlight and shining it around the now destroyed room, "As you can see, I have just witnessed a natural occurrence, the source being lightning, yes lightning has just struck this room and yet I am unscathed, can you guess what that means?-" 

 

"H-Hello?..." 

 

At the sound of an unfamiliar voice, Mark's eyes widen, and he freezes, heart beating rapidly in his chest because it could only belong to the only other person occupying the room. Hesitantly, he moves the flashlight until it shines in the spot of the fallen boy. Said boy is sitting up, albeit slowly, eyes darting rapidly around the room. His dark orbs land on Mark twice before they move on and that's when the younger realizes that the elder is blind. 

 

"This is him, the lightning user, reborn by a bolt of lightning in the abandoned Museum of the Nameless in Seoul. He's blinded right now, most likely momentarily. I will try to get a closer look, hold on." He speaks steadily into the camera, unable to contain his smile of excitement as he grabs the device and carefully makes his way closer toward the fallen boy. He flashes the flashlight on the elder slowly, so that he can take in their features. A simple pair of black jeans is what the boy's wardrobe consists of, circling around his belly button is a ring of electric blue markings (which Mark makes a mental note to assess more closely later), his face is carefully crafted and his handsomeness matches that described in the prophecies, his eyes have returned to their rightful dark color despite his current lack of vision, and finally, his hair was a soft, lilac color, wild in nature from previous happenings, " It's him, he's gorgeous from what I can see, just like how they describe him in the prophecies." 

 

"W-Who's there?!" The boy's voice is panicked, pale hands coming to clutch his head as he squints his eyes. Mark doesn't offer a reply, too overwhelmed with awe, but he figures he has to when the fallen boy's eyes land on him once more, and this time, they don't stray. His vision had returned. 

 

"Who are you?" The lilac haired boy asks wearily. 

 

"Future historian, Mark Lee!" The younger beams in reply, offering his hand to which the older boy simply stares at the limb blankly. Mark only laughs at the awkward exchange before zooming the camera's focus in on the boy's puzzled face. 

 

"I don't know you." The elder mutters, seemingly not quite sure if it's a question or a statement himself, running shaky hands through wild lilac hair as he stares at the camera wielding boy. 

 

"I believe we just settled that, I'm Mark Lee, future Historian-" 

 

"Yes, but I don't know you, kid." The boy cuts in quickly, glancing around the eerie darkness surrounding them. 

 

"Kid? I'm seventeen!" Mark exclaims, despite not even being remotely offended, before he asks, much more quietly, "Do you know who you are?"

 

"... No" Is the quiet admission he receives in response. 

 

"So, there you have it, they have no recollection of their past life. When they awaken, everything starts fresh it seems." The younger says, turning the camera to face him momentarily. The elder's brows scrunch in confusion as he watches the dark haired boy. 

 

"W-What are you doing?" 

 

"Recording and reporting, it's what I do." Mark tells him casually, before inquiring, "Do you know where we are?" 

 

"No" 

 

"Do you know how you got here? What about the flash of blue light, was that you? Do you know?" 

 

"No" 

 

"Do you have any recollection of anything? Can you remember anything? Do you know anything?" 

 

"...No" 

 

"As you all can see, he's completely clueless and slightly useless-" The younger boy states towards the camera. 

 

"W-What?!" The lilac haired male glares, the seal around his belly button flashing. 

 

"Hey, that rhymed!" Mark exclaims, laughing before he takes in the elder's raised brow and clarifies, "Completely clueless and slightly useless, that rhymed." 

 

"Are you always like this?" The older boy inquires with a look of thinly veiled patience. 

 

"Only when I'm really excited, sorry." The younger explains, apologizing shortly after. Perhaps it would be best if they start over? " I'm Mark Lee, future Historian-" 

 

"I believe we just settled that-" The lilac haired boy mocks his previous words with a sneer. 

 

"Slightly witty, just like the prophecy states" The dark haired male says towards the camera which instantly piques the other's interest, glare dissolving as a more curious look draws on his features. 

 

"What is this prophecy you keep mentioning? And what does it have to do with me?" He asks. 

 

"I was getting to that." Mark tells him enthusiastically, "I am here to study you personally, you and the prophecy you're connected to-" 

 

The lilac haired boy jumps slightly when the other reaches for his back pack suddenly, pulling it off and reaching inside. The lightning user takes in the brown, massive book the other boy pulls out with curious eyes. 

 

"It's a nameless prophecy you see, no title." The younger explains, pointing to the book's cover to reveal its lack of a title, " It happens every century, every hundred years this great occurrence happens, and this time- it starts with you." 

 

Mark is smiling up at the elder, camera long forgotten as he awaits the other boy's reply. 

 

"M-Me? But I don't even know who I am or why I'm here-" The lilac haired boy stammers out, but the younger is too busy flipping the book open and looking intently through the words on the first page to care.

 

"Ah, look! See? It says here your name is Lee Taeyong. So you are Lee Taeyong, the one who can control lightning to his very whim." Mark says suddenly, pointing adamantly at a particular sentence, smiling brightly as he does so, " Don't worry so much, hyung. Everything we need is in this book." 

 

"Let me see that." Taeyong demands, scooting closer to the younger and following the direction of his finger. What he reads makes him freeze

 

"The one reborn by lightning, to set alight the prophecy, a one Lee Taeyong, reborn in the discomfort of an abandoned museum, witnessed by the historian- "

 

"But there's a catch." Mark's voice snaps him out of his reading, a sense of dread curling in the pit of his stomach. 

 

"A catch?" He inquires, glancing at the younger before returning his gaze to the book, only to find the text he had just read rapidly disappearing causing him to exclaim, " W-What just happened?!" 

 

The younger boy sighs, fiddling with his camera while he elaborates. 

 

"We just fulfilled the first part of the prophecy. I stumbled across your soul and you were reborn, quite noisily if I might add, what's with all the dramatics by the way? Lightning and thunder, were you trying to give me a heart attack?! And my camera, do you know how much this cost me? You could have broken the lens-" 

 

"Mark!" Taeyong cuts in sharply, interrupting the other boy's rambling as he reminds him, "The prophecy" 

 

"Oh yes, the prophecy! Where was I? Oh yeah, you were reborn and now you've just realized who you are. So that part of history is being rewritten to fit this exact moment and now it's no longer there for us to access." 

 

"That's stupid." Mutters the lilac haired boy, running his fingers over the now blank text. 

 

"It's the prophecy." Mark says simply, adjusting his glasses before addressing the camera, "The lightning user has just undergone self realization. His commentary on the matter? It's stupid-" 

 

"Who exactly are you reporting to?" Taeyong asks, peering curiously into the camera lens. 

 

"My history teacher, this is for a project. But also, this prophecy just so happened to really pique my interest. I spent my entire summer last year reading up on it." 

 

"What exactly is the prophecy? Will this book tell me?" 

 

"Yes but in great detail, and by that I mean it will tell you everything but the text will disappear as you read and it will not return until the prophecy is complete." The younger explains, eyes snapping toward the only window in the room when thunder sounds viscously, following by various flashes of lightning. He turns to the elder then, inquiring gently, " Are you nervous or something?" 

 

"I'm confused." Taeyong admits, the seal on his stomach swirling slowly, eyes downcast. 

 

"I can see that, but it's also making you upset." Mark tells him, referring to the rapid striking of lightning outside, " Relax hyung, you'll know the basics before the night is over, I promise." 

 

"This is all so sudden. I just found out my name five minutes ago and I'm exhausted for some reason. Can't I take a nap before we continue further?" The lilac haired boy whines, garnering a laugh from the dark haired boy beside him. 

 

"Trust me, hyung. The faster we move, the better." The younger informs him, " We're kind of short on time." 

 

"Elaborate" Taeyong says, a serious tilt to his gaze as he stares at the young student. 

 

"The prophecy doesn't just consist of you, there are others..." Mark admits after a small pause, his own gaze adverted. 

 

"Who are these others and why didn't you mention them before?" 

 

"... You didn't ask?" The younger jokes lamely before admitting, " Okay, okay! It slipped my mind at first, I guess I'm just so focused on you because you're the chosen one." 

 

"The chosen one?" Taeyong inquires with a groan, a flash of lightning striking a tree in front of the window, "Please explain everything before I turn Seoul to ash." 

 

"Sure thing, hyung." Mark says quickly, motioning towards the book once more, "The nameless prophecy states that every century a set of users will be reborn: the lightning user, the shadow user, the entropy user, the telekinetic, air user, the earth user, the water user, and the fire user. Amongst those reborn is the 'chosen one', the prophecie's main protagonist. It is said that this time around, you are the chosen one, the lightning user, or at least that's what I deduced. Also, you were the closest to me. A high school senior can only travel so far." 

 

Taeyong raises a brow at the last part, but remains silent nonetheless. Mark decides not to press the action and continues. 

 

"Anyway, the other users should have been reborn by now or are possibly doing so as we speak. The last to return is usually the shadow user, which is a good thing I suppose." 

 

"Why do you say that? Are they the enemy?" 

 

"Yes and no-" The younger replies, "The chosen one awakens as a different user each time, last time it was the air user. This time, it is you, the lightning user. But it will never be the shadow user, because they are not to be trusted." 

 

"So they are the enemy?" Taeyong deduces, earning a shrug from the boy beside him. 

 

"That is up to the shadow user themselves. In the most recent fulfilling of the prophecy, they decided to aid the chosen one, but that has not always been the case. Sometimes the shadow user was killed by the chosen one to prevent betrayal and sometimes they were allowed to live and decided to betray the others anyway. The shadow user is a tricky individual and it's entirely up to you with how you choose to deal with them. But they really aren't meant to be trusted, as well as the entropy user." 

 

"And the other users? Tell me about them." 

 

The lilac haired boy's curiosity and eagerness makes the aspiring Historian smile. 

 

"As stated before, the air user was the last chosen one. They are very open minded, but are more often than not, unwilling to work with the shadow user. They can be found in Japan as the prophecy states, alongside the entropy user. The water user is somewhere in China, I can't quite pinpoint their exact location yet but they're most likely hiding in a small village, putting their healing abilities to good use. They are the next most important protagonist in the prophecy besides the chosen one. It is very vital that we find them if we want to fulfill the prophecy. Lastly, the earth user should be in an area much similar to the water user, they are very level headed and strong willed and the most worry we have regarding them is getting them away from their protector." 

 

"What about the fire user? You haven't mentioned them yet." The lightning user points out with a small frown. 

 

"You are correct and just as perceptive as the prophecy states." Mark says with a small smile that quickly slips into a frown as he informs the elder, "The fire user is the enemy, or rather, what is inside them-" 

 

"What's inside of them?" Taeyong inquires, surprising himself with his own eagerness. Mark doesn't offer a verbal reply at first. Instead, the younger pulls out another book with a black leather cover in similar thickness to the brown one, flipping it open to a particular page. 

 

"This-" The younger says finally, pointing at a picture presented on the page as he states, "This is the fire user, if you do not stop them." 

 

Taeyong scoots closer to take a look at the picture only to withdraw just as quickly when he takes in the sight of a dragon, menacing and intimidating as it breathes fire over an already burning city.

 

"M-Me? How am I supposed to stop that?!" He exclaims, eying the younger in disbelief. If he thought Mark was strange before, he definitely thought the younger was missing a few screws now. 

 

"With help from the other users and me of course!" The dark haired boy replies, rather cheerfully at that. 

 

"You haven't even graduated high school yet." Taeyong points out. 

 

"Hey! I found you, didn't I?" Is the younger's offended reply before he sighs, motioning toward the brown book once more as he tells the elder, "This is the prophecy, hyung. You are the chosen one this time, and it's up to you to stop the dragon." 

 

"And what if I fail? I can't kill a dragon!" 

 

"You won't fail." Mark tells the elder, "And you don't have to kill the dragon." 

 

"I don't? Then how-" Taeyong cuts in, confusion evident by the frown pulling at his lips. 

 

"You don't have to kill the dragon." The younger informs him, "You have to kill the fire user." 

 

The dark haired male hurriedly flips the pages of the black book until he reaches the intended one. Presented on the glossy paper is a picture of an individual with fire emitting from their palm, but in the background, seemingly supposed to be a hidden, is a dragon. 

 

"Look they're the same person, essentially. While the fire user may have their own spirit, their soul belongs to the dragon because the beast is drawn to the flame. The fire user is simply acting on the dragon's behalf and the dragon wants destruction. It wants to destroy everything until it leaves ashes in it's wake. But it will not act alone. While the dragon is a beast, the fire user is an actual person who does it's bidding. The pair have allies, and powerful ones at that. Besides, you cannot just kill the dragon and expect the prophecy to be fulfilled. There are other trials to endure before we can even encounter the dragon." 

 

"Trials?" Taeyong reiterates after a small pause, scrubbing his face in frustration, "...I need a drink." 

 

"That can be arranged." Mark says with a laugh only to be met with the elder's glare. He sighs at the sight, telling the other male, "History is both beginning and erasing itself at the same time. I know it's sudden, but it's up to you to rewrite it. Destiny waits for no one, hyung." 

 

When he's met with silence he sighs once more, grabbing his camera and filming the lightning user. Lilac strands cover his face as Taeyong stares at the picture in the black book, an indecipherable expression on his face, lightning striking in the window as Mark's voice rings out cheerfully.

 

"So there you have it, this is lightning user Lee Taeyong, better known as the chosen one. He will defeat the dragon, save the world, and fulfill the prophecy, and this is his beginning."