Five years old

Throughout The Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunwoo and Jieqiong. Jieqiong and Eunwoo.

It was all about them. Everybody knew them because they were always together. If one of them was ever seen without the other, people would always ask "Where's Jieqiong?" or "Where’s Eunwoo?"

They were like nail and dirt, like shoe and chewing gum. They knew everything about each other. Everything.

Jieqiong knew what was Eunwoo’s favorite color, and vice versa. They knew what was each other’s favorite cartoon, and also the embarrassing moments they had been through.

Jieqiong always laughed at Eunwoo whenever the latter went through some embarrassing experience, the younger one couldn’t help it even though she loved her a lot. And when Eunwoo had the opportunity to take revenge, she wouldn’t think about it twice and would just do it straight away.

However, they were together. Always, always, always.

Jieqiong was there when Mongshi, Eunwoo’s dog, died. She'd cried for days, pleading to the sky for someone, anyone, to bring him back. But Jieqiong was there, lending her shoulder to Eunwoo, although after some hours she had to bare with the pain and ask her mother to give her a small massage.

They could spend hours, days or weeks doing the same things and never get bored, they were always laughing especially because Jieqiong’s laughter was contagious and Eunwoo, being the cheerful person she was, laughed along with her.

They spent most of their time talking about their future. They had decided to go to the same middle school, then to the same high school and then study the same degree, but Eunwoo’s mother always ended up laughing at them and saying that no matter how inseparable they were, they would always have differences.

And Jieqiong couldn’t remember a single moment where Eunwoo was not present. What she remembered the most about the eldest was the day they met. People didn't believe she could remember something so clearly, without forgetting any details, but she did, Jieqiong remembered everything about Eunwoo, even the smallest detail was important to her. 

 

Jieqiong and Eunwoo at age 5.

Jieqiong looked around the colorful classroom. She knew most of the children from the previous year, it was one of the best-known kindergartens where she lived. It was the beginning of another year where she’d have to endure seeing the same faces every day.

She was drawing on a sheet of paper, whatever it was that came to her mind but she wasn’t exactly focused on drawing, she was rather thinking about her next prey. Whose lunch would she steal today? I mean, her mom had given her a simple apple, again. An apple! Are you serious mom?

She spotted Choi Vernon in a corner, playing with some toy cars. The was trying to put some tires to a wheelless truck. Uhmm, she thought for moment… Vernon’s mom made some holy sandwiches! But she had already taken away his lunch the day before and didn’t want to leave the poor boy starving to death. Always putting others before herself, such a kind girl she was.

She spotted Dahyun almost right in front of her, playing with her multicolored clay pots, making wonderful figures that seemed impossible to Jieqiong, maybe that’s why she was a little envious. Dahyun’s mom, on the other hand, preferred to give her a small salad along with salted biscuits. Jieqiong was her lips just a the thought of it. It was an option at least.

Next to Dahyun was Chanwoo, who was also playing with the clay but instead of making wonderful figures, he chose to mix the colors by making a huge ugly black ball. Jieqiong shook her head in disapproval... Chanwoo’s mom’s bread bisquits with cream on the inside were delicious, perhaps it could be another possibility.

The teacher’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts. She looked up to find an unknown woman entering the classroom with a little girl holding her hand; she was almost as tall as her, had long, brown hair, and was shyly hiding behind her mother’s leg. Jieqiong smiled. Another easy prey to steal lunch from.

The teacher introduced her as Jung Eunwoo and everyone greeted her at the same time with a "Hello Eunwoo", just like they had been taught to greet new classmates. The little girl blushed and waved her hand. It wasn’t long before her mother had to leave, but the girl clung firmly to her neck, not wanting to ever let go. It was stressing Jieqiong. Jeez, stop making a scene! Come here, I need to see what you brought for lunch.

Finally Mrs. Jung left, but not before leaving a small kiss on her daughter’s forehead. The teacher showed her around the classroom, finally leaving her with Dahyun and Chanwoo. Both of them gave Eunwoo a piece of clay and she thanked them with a smile. Jieqiong saw the girl play quietly and say to the two kids something she couldn’t hear. Then, out of a sudden both of them started laughing, loud. They left the girl alone and she just stood there, staring at the clay pots. Oh…oh, she was about to cry.

The news spread faster than dust. In a matter of seconds everyone was looking at Eunwoo. Giggles and whispers all around her. Jieqiong looked at Eunwoo, then at the cruel children. The cruel children then Eunwoo. Why were they laughing? She wanted to know too. She would have to guess… what could they be laughing about? It couldn’t be her appereance because she was really pretty. Until “tattletale” Seungkwang reached her side, chuckling, and said "the new girl speaks weird." That sounded familiar.

Jieqiong shook her head.

Finally the teacher noticed the drama that was going on and headed straight to Eunwoo, offering her some water. They talked for a while. The teacher didn’t laugh at the way she spoke. Jieqiong scowled. The teacher was an expert at holding her laughter. Jieqiong wondered if her old teacher had to make that big of an effort when she came from China two years ago.

Eunwoo wasn’t crying anymore. She was merely sobbing, and had gotten hiccups from the unpleasent situation. Jieqiong had to admit she felt a little sorry but still had to be honest about her thoughts, she was curious to know what Eunwoo’s mother had given her for lunch. And she would find out in a little while, during break.

The teacher clapped her hands a few times to get the attention of the twenty pairs of eyes and "the new girl that speaks weird". Some kids were still laughing and pointing their fingers.

“I don't want to hear any more giggling!”  the teacher demanded and the whole classroom fell silent. “Eunwoo does not speak weird...” She explained.

“But Miss! She does! I heard her, she sounds like her tongue is made of rag!” Dahyun said, earning laughters from all of her classmates.

“That’s not true!” Eunwoo suddenly exclaimed.  “I’m fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter