Writing Tips

PuppyLoveWH's Writing Tips

I finally got around to making that expanded list of writing tips. Which I posted on Tumblr, then deleted my Tumblr and forgot I hadn't posted it here as well. So here I am. 

These  are written mostly from the perspective of someone who takes it seriously; whether that be in the form of wanting to pursue writing, or just trying to get better at your hobby. Remember, the best writing is when everyone enjoys it - and that includes YOU! 

I will also be posting writing prompts (irregularly) because I have too many ideas to be able to write them all myself. And I'd love to see how other writers interpret them. 

These tips have been expanded from the first part to include more in depth explination and a few extra bits of info. 

Thank you for the love and interest, I hope these tips have proven helpful to you! 


These tips are part of the process I go through when writing novels. I enjoy writing fanfiction, but I am VERY lax with them. Honestly, if I put my fanfictions against the tips I have shared here, it actually feels to me like my fanfics are lazy and haphazard!!! 0.0
Not even kidding, just one of my novels is 2 FULL A4 Arch lever files (those big ones) of planning. The third file is the actual story.

Writing is effort.

 

An Unnecessarily Lengthy Collection of Tips to Improve Your Writing. Enjoy. 
 

 

BEFORE YOU START: 

1.  Mind-Maps. 
I have noticed that a lot of people seem to prefer to go with the flow of the story and write as the inspiration hits them. There is obviously nothing wrong with this style of writing, and it often leads to very interesting reads.
However, I found that doing this ends up confusing me - particularly when I am writing longer stories. It’s also harder to double-check yourself on information if you do not keep tabs on plot points and elements right from the get-go. You typically end up contradicting yourself, missing the plot points and/or getting side-tracked, or even forgetting plot points entirely! This can create some messy lose ends when it comes time to wrap up your story, or even the exclusion of something that could have changed your story completely! (Launch, from the Dragon Ball series is an example of this! Akira Toriyama (Writer & Creator) actually intended for her to have a much more significant role, but he literally forgot about her - that's why she sort of just disappears in the story.)

I find that keeping notes and checking them often eliminates this problem. 


I create mind-maps during the brainstorming phase (before I start writing) for the simple reason that it helps me to prevent myself from contradicting any statements or rules I set up earlier in the story, and makes it easier to find when I need to check something or refresh my memory. Mind-maps also help me to bridge gaps between multiple unrelated ideas I want to incorporate into one story. 
Creating mind-maps further gives me a chance to spend a bit more time to develop on the plot of my story. By spending a little bit longer when planning out the plot and sub-plots of my story, I am able to come up with more convincing and air-tight solutions to any loopholes I come across. 

I typically have my story's main plot points noted down seperately, one page per chapter. This is where I write down all the ideas for everything I want to happen in that specific chapter. Quotes, scenes, actions, absolutely anything! 

So, for example: 

Story: Since You're Staying
Chapter: Five

1. Aftermath of the accidental kiss.
2. Woohyun's feelings growing. 
                 **  "You convince him, Myungsoo." "What? Why me?!" "You're his favorite."  - Conversation in front of Woohyun - build self-doubt in Woohyun.
3. Woohyun chosen to debut.

This is a very shortened version of the chapter; a few more things than just those three happened in the chapter when I was ready to update it, but those three were the core plot points for that chapter, and that is what I built my chapter around. 

When I say that the story is planned out, I literally mean it beginning to end. 


2.  Detailed Synopsis. 
This is SO important, especially if you are writing longer stories. A synopsis in case anyone is unsure, is a breakdown of your entire story. What’s going to happen to who and for what reason. It outlines your story from the beginning to the end. It is essentially a summary of your story - a collection of all of the main plot milestones. The mind-map I mentioned previously is a part of your synopsis. Your synopsis explains the entire story minus all the juicy elaboration, whereas the mind-maps explain the links between specific parts or areas of the story. 

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here. 
I make my synopsis as detailed as I possibly can. Having a guide for your story also helps to keep you on track of the story - it’s so easy to get side-tracked while writing. I include as much relevant information as I can think of. I even have a checklist consisting of what I have planned to happen in each chapter. 
This synopsis is not to be confused with the synopsis many publishers require if you are submitting work - that one needs to be as simplified as you can make it. 

The mind-maps from my previous point usually end up expanding into these. 


3.  Character Profiles. 
Yes, even if the information is never used in the story, my characters have profiles that contain as much information on them as I can think of (My current Character Profiles are 18 pages long (no joke) per character and because I draw as well, actually also include drawings of the characters - so they're more like 20 pages XD.
Birthdays, personality traits, physical descriptions, family, friends, back-story, enemies (if necessary), things they hate, favorite food, even their hobbies and quirks unique to them are included in these profiles. I try to breathe as much life into my characters as I can before I even start writing the story. It is easier to portray characters when you know more about them. Consistency is very important to me especially in regards to character behaviors, and so I spend a lot of time designing my characters. 


I like to use real personality traits for my characters, specifically from the MBTI system because it allows me to delve deep into the psyche of my characters without much effort. I feel that because I understand their inner workings better I am able to convey them as believable characters better, and it is therefore easier for my readers to associate with these characters.
The MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) is a personality test which has 16 different personality combinations. It is a condensed collection of traits I expand on to make my characters more relatable.
The way you choose to personify your characters is obviously up to personal preference, and there are a lot of ways to do it. Some people use the personality traits of the Zodiac or Lunar Zodiac to give depth to their characters, while others base their characters on themselves and the people around them. Some people even combine two or more methods when creating their characters.
Here is a link to a very nice and detailed walk-through of all the MBTI personality types for anyone who would like to look into it: CLICKY


Interesting characters have flaws! Successful characters ALL have some form of development they need to achieve. People tend to prefer the character that has a mountain to overcome. The story is more interesting if the characters have to grow in some way, and the readers are included in that journey.


I decide on the MBTI results of my characters by deciding which traits I want to be more dominant in each of the four categories: Introverted vs Extroverted, Sense vs Intuition, Feeling vs Thinking, Perceiving vs Judging. 



For example, I want a character to be Extroverted, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceptive, therefore, their MBTI result will be ENFP. I use the walk-through of the corresponding type to create my character. I add complexity and depth to my characters by selecting at least one trait out of each category to be among their main traits.

For example, the traits that drive my newly created ENFP character are: 
E - Thinks out loud and is easily distracted
N - Likes to figure things out by themself
F - Make decisions according to their feelings
P - Is prone to procrastination 


To add a bit of interest to this character, I include a character flaw. In this case, I want this character to be distrustful of people. This trait seems to be contradicting or contrasting the MBTI I have assigned to him/her, but it creates an opportunity for the readers to experience how the character changes as the story goes along. It makes the character more real. It is great if your readers know why a character does something, but it is so much better if they understand why your character does it.

In real life, people are all a bit of each of those categories, so adding seemingly contradictory qualities can make your character more interesting. Be careful not to overdo it, the whole point is to “humanise” the character for the reader to associate with him/her, so they can’t be TOO random. This is why we have side characters. Fictional characters should be complex, but not a mess. They should be a challenge to figure out, not Fort Nox. 


If you decide to take the MBTI test out of curiosity remember that only YOU define who you are! There is so much that goes into making a human being the person they are that it feels almost disrespectful to boil it all down to just one thing. 


4. Do Research. 
I like to sprinkle truths into my stories to add to the believable element of them. For example, I am writing a short story that takes place on a cruise ship. I have never been on one, so I only know what I have seen in movies - which is only surface-level and not nearly detailed enough.
I therefore looked up some layouts of ships, photos, and other information I would need, like activities that are available, pricing, job titles, the number of people working on ships, the speed the ships travel at (to create a realistic time-line), and even how ships are named. I took the average results and used those.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it didn’t even take me an hour to have all the information together. I feel that having believable elements in your story makes it easier for the reader to trust you with the way your story unfolds. 
The more you prepare before you start writing, the less problem-solving you will have to do when you actually start writing!!!

 

WHILE WRITING:

5.  Read Other Writer’s Works. 
This should be done with the intention of inspiring yourself, but comes with the added bonus of exposing yourself to a wide array of writing styles. It will also increase your vocabulary, and this is so important for a writer. It is good to have a broad vocabulary at your disposal, but you do need to keep your target audience in mind when writing if you write to share. 
Write for your readers.


It is not advisable for any originator of fictional adventures to engage in the use of terminology that is too convoluted. 


See what I mean? It can be annoying, distracting and can even come across as condescending or show-offish. Don’t over-do it. Readers whose vocabulary is not as broad, or who are learning the language, will most likely struggle to capture the correct tone and emotion of the scenes you are trying to bring to life, and that is so important in enjoying what you are reading.  
Of course, having a character who speaks circles around other peoples’ heads can be intentional, and can be used to bond readers to that character (such as is the case with how Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory is portrayed).This type of thing needs to be done carefully though, it is very easy to misinterpret this kind of character as being conceited, and can make it harder for readers to grow attached to them. 


On the opposite end of the coin, it is also extremely hard to keep readers interested if the vocabulary you are using is too simple. You can improve your vocabulary instantaneously by using a thesaurus. If you choose to do this, make sure you understand the synonyms you are using and this includes knowing the correct way to use them. Don't be shy to ask, and definitely spend a bit of time researching how the words/phrases are used. 

(For example, one of the most common translation errors I see is the adorable adopted-Korean word "HWAITING" being translated as "Cheer up!" 
The problem here is not the translation, it is how this phrase is used! If you were to say this to a Native English speaker, it would actually have a negative connotation! You're telling them that they should stop feeling sorry for themself, which is obviously NOT the intended meaning. Instead, it would be better to say something like "You've got this!" or "Good Luck!") Keep this in mind when using words or phrases you are unsure of - it's not always what it seems to be~


Another thing to keep an eye out for is repetition. One of the most commonly over-used words is “said”. There are so many alternatives you could use. 
For example: 
“I can’t believe we have to spend the night here.” Sarah said. 
“I know. It’s such a pain in the-” James said, his voice trailed off. 
“We should make the most of it.” Cathy said. 
“We need to get food too.” Sarah said. 
“I saw a little shop down the road.” James said. 
“I’ll get our rooms. You two go.” Cathy said and then walked away. 
“Okay.” Sarah said blushing. She wouldn’t look at James in the eye. 


These are the changes I would make to the above scene: 
“I can’t believe we have to spend the night here.” Sarah grumbled. 
“I know. It’s such a pain in the-” James replied, his voice trailing off as he stretched in an attempt to soothe his muscles. 
“We should make the most of it.” Cathy advised. 
“We need to get food too.” Sarah interjected, as if the thought had just occurred to her and she had been unable to resist sharing it. 
“I saw a little shop down the road.” James offered, indicating the general whereabouts of the store with a thumb jabbing over his shoulder. 
“I’ll get our rooms.” Cathy declared, the toll of the trip evident in her tone. “You two go.” Before the other two could protest, she was already walking into the small reception area of the motel they were parked in front of.
An odd tension fell over the two of them and when James turned to Sarah she had been unable to meet his eye. “Let’s go.“ 
“Okay.” Sarah whispered, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. James smiled at the blush warming the young girl’s face. He’d always found a shy girl more captivating.
 
(I honestly would have completely changed that scene, but I left it because I felt it carries my point across well enough.)


The characters are interacting more in the second one - both with each other and the world they are in. I have also managed to create a richer setting for the reader by including a few trivial details. You now know that they are travelling and have had to stop for the night. You know that they are tired from the trip, and you know that there is something growing between Sarah and James. The best part: I never had to state any of that.


Be careful not to get lost in detail and descriptions! 


Add just enough to provide the reader with hints, their mind will do the rest. It is easier for people to imagine things that they are familiar with, so descriptions do not need to be a game of Pictionary. You do not need to describe each turn a leaf makes when falling from a tree. Everyone has their own imagining of that process. I would instead focus more on the character and what effect watching that leaf falling has on him/her. Readers need to understand your characters in order to bond with them. 
Try not to fill your paragraphs with tons of short sentences. This can give your story a choppy feel which can be distracting, or even annoying.


For example: 
She came into the room. She put her bag down and took off her shoes. Then she took off her coat. After that she went into the kitchen. She searched in the fridge for something to cook. 


It feels more natural to rewrite that something like this: 
The first thing she did went she got into the room was kick off her shoes and drop her bag. She dropped her coat on top of the mini pile she’d just made and then set off into the kitchen to search for something to cook. 


Try making longer sentences, and use your commas and conjunctions. Your story should flow. On the other hand, don’t make your sentences super long either - no one likes trying to decipher those. 


6.  Take Breaks. 
I found it helps me to get up and move around a bit while I’m brain-storming or writing; like making myself a snack. Sometimes a change of scenery can help to get the creative juices flowing. These breaks are never longer than 15 minutes at a time, and are essentially just so I can break the dry-cycle I get into when I write. I tend to write until I can't write any longer. 
If you are struggling to progress in a story because you are stuck or you hate the way your writing is coming out, also try to take a short break. Sometimes writing a completely unrelated drabble can unlock your imagination again. Who said it can’t take you two weeks to write one chapter anyway? Rather take your time writing than rush something you know could have been better. 
There is nothing wrong with going back and working on stories you have already completed either. Keep writing! The more you write, the better you will get.


7.  Listen to Music. 
I enjoy playing some music in the background while I write and I’ve found that the type of songs I am listening to influence my writing - I listen to sad songs when writing a sad scene and I listen to happy songs when writing a happy scene. I find silence to be stifling, and it is difficult for me to stay inspired with no background noise. 
This is a personal preference, and I know of writers who require silence to be able to write. Find what works for you. 

As a bit of extra information, for anyone who may be curious about it: I listen to updeat dance-y-ish type music when attempting to write  XD


8. Frequently Refresh Yourself. 
It is very easy to get lost in the story and end up writing a character who is all over the place. I frequently check over the traits and characteristics of each of my characters to keep a consistent flow. How one character reacts to a situation should not be uniform for all your characters.


For example: discovering a friend works part-time at a strip club.
Everyone is shocked about the same thing (the friend working at a strip club), but wouldn’t it be more realistic if they’re all shocked for different reasons?


“You’re a stripper?!" 
"I’m shocked to see someone like you at a place like this." 
"I’m upset you kept a secret like this from me!”
“I’m shocked at the lack of material in the outfit you’re wearing." 
"I can’t believe I never ran into you before now.”


By doing this, I found that I am able to give interesting dynamics to my characters and make them unique and separate entities at the same time.


People obviously change and grow as they get older, and I feel that maintaining a character’s personality traits makes it easier to portray when it comes time for the characters to grow or develop, instead of having a sudden change in temperament for example, I prefer to make it slow and subtle. I feel it’s more realistic when portrayed that way. 


9.  Make your world lived in.  
Harry Potter author J.K Rowling included a lot of extra seemingly unnecessary detail in her stories (such as Nearly Headless Nick’s Deathday party), but I think that is precisely why it was so easy to immerse yourself into her story.
The characters were constantly surrounded by (and interacting with) the world she created for them to live in, and I think that made it easier to believe her. Obviously, be careful that you don’t spend so much time bringing your world to life that you lose track of the original story-line!!
Some writers create entirely new worlds, including cultures and even languages - like JRR Tolkien did with Lord of the Rings.


10.  Listen to and TAKE critique that is given to you.  
Most of the time, people will not worry about sharing what they thought could have been improved on in your story. They will simply just move on regardless of if they enjoyed it or not. This is why you should take critique when it is shared with you. The person leaving that comment loved your writing enough that they want you to know about it! 


Critique and trolling are NOT THE SAME THING! There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED TO GET NASTY IN A CRITIQUE. A critique is supposed to be objective and helpful. I understand that as the author it’s hard to listen to criticism (your work is your baby after all!), but if you learn to not take it personally or as an attack at your abilities, you will have gained one of the biggest secret weapons in this field. 


The next point is that accepting critique does not mean you have to make ANY of the changes suggested. Not a single one. The point of accepting critique is to gain a new perspective of an idea. It is to broaden your abilities, and to help you with learning to think out of the box. That being said, the reverse is also true. I never critique anyone's writing unless they have asked for the feedback. 


Writing should be an enjoyable experience for both the people writing it as well as for the people reading it.


If you are serious about writing, you need to understand that it is a LOT of work, and it can be downright draining. If you do not challenge yourself and you do not experiment you will struggle to grow as a writer. There are so many resources open to you - use them.


11.  Find someone you can share ideas with and who can Beta for you.  
Find someone you can brainstorm with when you get stuck or are experiencing writer’s block. This can be an amazingly beneficial relationship if you are both (or all if you are fortunate enough to have a few people) writers! Sometimes, just taking to someone else (even if this other person is not a writer) about something you are stuck on can help you think of the solution. In fact, I have already done this with two of the full-length novels I am currently preparing.


Having a Beta is not a necessity, but the second opinion can be an immense help in improving your skills as well as a vast source of inspiration that can have you amazing yourself with just how creative you can actually get. Beta’s should also spot spelling and grammar mistakes that you (as the writer) WILL miss - no matter how many times you proof-read your work. This should include sentences that sound awkward, or need to be rephrased. 
Your Beta will need to be someone you can trust with your ideas.

And return the favour! Exposing yourself to different styles will only expand your skills.


It is very important that you DO NOT COMPARE YOUR WRITING TO ANYONE ELSE’S. It is great to draw inspiration from other writer’s, but do not compare your work to theirs! Each person is different, and you experience and express things in a different way.

Writing is also a skill. The good news is that skills can be taught and nurtured, but in order for your skills to improve, you need to USE THEM. It takes time and effort. Keep writing!


This next point is not a writing tip, but it is something I want to say.


NEVER feel shy for sharing a story that is written in a language THAT IS NOT YOUR FIRST LANGUAGE! 


I want to say loud and clear right here, right now, that the fact that you are writing a story that is not in your mother tongue IS ING EPIC, AND YOU ARE AWESOME! 
I really have a deep respect for people who are brave enough to do this - especially with regards to the notoriously "difficult" languages, like English! 
(Also, just between us, I am a native English speaker, in possession of an above average vocabulary and even I have to go back and FIX IT 0,0 (which a quick glance through most of my stories will show you I haven't done...)

 Thank you for taking the time to read this list, and I hope that you find it helpful. 
 Happy writing!