Wake Up

It's Here

 

1948

 

Chanyeol knew the moment they met what he wanted.

 

Baekhyun was stunning with moonlight in his hair and red dripping down his chin like forbidden fruit. It was pure coincidence that made Chanyeol turn down the east walkway instead of north and brought him to the reflective eyes and unblemished skin that would take his life then give him so much more. 

 

Death wasn't painful; not with the soft way Baekhyun curled his hands around Chanyeol's waist and held him up when the strength to stand withered to nothing. That was the last thing Chanyeol could remember about being human; cool hands on his hips and a terrible sleepiness. The world turned into snow and fire and darkened sunlight poisoned with blood every night after, and Chanyeol would have it no other way. 

 

~~~~~

 

2015

 

"So this is nice," Chanyeol says, sprawled out on dark blue bed sheets with his shirt hanging open for his master to enjoy. Their new home is secluded and perfect, tall glass windows equipped with day-proof blinds and house surrounded by forest in every direction. Baekhyun had chosen the area then offered to make their home there, and Chanyeol could never refuse Baekhyun anything. It only took a few months of favors from other immortals and trustworthy humans to finish and both of them are happy here after so long of drifting, of not belonging.

 

"You enjoy this, flower?" Baekhyun smiles while leaning against the bed frame, brushing his fingers over Chanyeol's lips slowly. 

 

Chanyeol nips at each one, lifting his torso to lay his chin against Baekhyun's ribs and blink up at him. "You built a home for me. How could I not love it?"

 

"We both know how picky you can be," Baekhyun chides. 

 

"Yeah, well that's not important." 

 

"Not important. As if you didn't spend weeks deciding whether you wanted blue or white tiles. Or how you cannot bare when the closet is not in color by color order," Baekhyun smiles and crawls into the space between Chanyeol's thighs. They both sigh when Chanyeol arches to meet Baekhyun's wandering touch.

 

"Blue could have been too dark but white is just too white."

 

"Is that why you chose both?" Chanyeol grins and Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "Unbelievable."

 

"You love me," Chanyeol laughs and softly bites the skin of Baekhyun's neck, "Now me through the mattress or sleep on the couch tonight."

 

Three hours and one broken box spring later, Baekhyun decidedly does not sleep on the couch.

 

~~~~~

 

"This is Suho. He's lived in Shanghai for over seventy years now, but this is home turf, same as us," Chanyeol motions for Baekhyun and Suho to shake hands, and they do, smiling politely and silently sizing up the amount of power the other has. Chanyeol groans.

 

"Could we not pull out and take measurements? I'd love to eat sometime this month, if you wouldn't mind too much guys."

 

Suho is humble enough to act sheepish but Baekhyun just grins. From somewhere down the street a snack vendor yells into the nighttime commerce about odeng and mandu, and Suho says, "Feels good to be back. How's the take-out been lately?"

 

Chanyeol laughs in the way that looks like he's crying and Baekhyun has to pull his eyes away. That's always been his favorite laugh. "Take-out is always good around here Suho, you know that," Chanyeol laughs, "But dine-in is the best."

 

"I'll take your word on that, Yeol. Find me before I leave for dimmer stars. I've been meaning to ask you about the mated life."

 

"It's dark and dangerous so never, never ever even think about getting stuck with a stuck up, snarky, sickening, condescending that- ow!"

 

Baekhyun purrs and pulls Chanyeol's ear harder. "Enjoy your night, Suho. We'll be in touch."

 

He disappears into the crowd wordlessly after that. Chanyeol pouts down at Baekhyun and hunches down to hoard into his master's space and whimper like a kicked dog.

 

"Sickening."

 

"Baekkie, you know I didn't mean it."

 

"Snarky. Really? Snarky?"

 

"It was mostly just for fun-"

 

"Condescending ."

 

Chanyeol curses loud enough to draw attention from onlookers. He feels the throb of Baekhyun's nails biting into his ear for the rest of the night even after his master lets him go for the hunt; Baekhyun seems satisfied with the silence.

 

Chanyeol sleeps on the couch that night.

 

~~~~~

 

1967

 

Chanyeol hasn't seen people so on edge since 1950 when Northern soldiers came pouring in like ticks on a dog. Not that he had been exactly coherent back then, but still; this is bordering on horrible. 

 

His new life as what Baekhyun called being immortal didn't involve human politics, human activities, or human interaction. Only human casualties. Come to think of it, when was the last time Chanyeol worried about this ongoing war surrounding them? More than that, when should he start to worry about dying?

 

"When will I die, master?"

 

Baekhyun had been setting and watching the DMZ for days, disappearing for a few hours every odd number of days when his eyes caught something that Chanyeol's did not. He always returned with fresh blood for Chanyeol so he never found it in him to ask where Baekhyun would go or why.

 

"When do you want to?"

 

Chanyeol considers it. "Will I have children?"

 

Baekhyun doesn't say anything, but his eyes darken while they travel down Chanyeol's body. "If that is what you choose."

 

It takes a few tries for Chanyeol to find his voice again. "Then I want to die before they do, so I won't ever have to live without my family."

 

That seems to be enough because Baekhyun moves to watch the military encampment below in silence. Chanyeol slides closer until his shoulder brushes Baekhyun's mutely, and cool fingers begin to comb through Chanyeol's hair. All the gunfire below fades and turns from ash and blood to the sound of Baekhyun breathing, Baekhyun speaking, Baekhyun touching him. 

 

Because that's all that matters to Chanyeol. That would be all that ever mattered to Chanyeol; until his wish would finally be heard.

 

~~~~~

 

2015

 

"So you're saying it's possible?" 

 

"Entirely. It is how I was born."

 

Chanyeol hides behind his red bangs and giggles. "You were hatched."

 

Baekhyun turns redder than Chanyeol's hair. "I was not hatched as some kind of bird, Chanyeol. I am the flesh of my fathers, kept secret and protected until my child form grew strong enough to feed on its own."

 

"You were hatched and I still think that's hilarious," Chanyeol throws himself around Baekhyun and they tumble across the bed in a mess of laughs and limbs until Chanyeol finds himself pinned down and staring at the perfect curve of Baekhyun's lips. He watches Baekhyun speak and shivers. Chanyeol knows exactly where else those lips have been. 

 

"Are you listening to me?" Chanyeol blinks up at Baekhyun then nods. "Repeat it then."

 

"Something about something, I don't know actually, but can we skip to the part where you do me until I go cross-eyed?" Chanyeol asks and slips his hands over Baekhyun's to pull their hips together. Baekhyun's beautiful eyes turn unimaginably dark.

 

Turns out, they both stay in the bedroom, but neither of them sleep.

 

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

 

 

So!

This was Chapter One of the idkwhatimdoingactually series

Words: 1203

Inspiration; Based loosely off the incredible fanfiction 'Athanasia' written by Leftfoottrapped a.k.a Miikkaa_xx on AO3, as well as all the urban legends about vampires and the dumb exo members that I dislike for liking so much

Planning on finishing in less than 5 chapters, as previously stated. Tell me if you'd like shorter or longer chapters or special scenes/prompts in the comments. It will help me greatly to continue with this short story!