OTP! Not BROTP! [Hyuk]

Liberal Education


Haru squinted when the sunlight peeked in through the curtains, she turned and looked at Minah who groaned as she slid out of the bed across her shushing into the air as Haru’s phone rang. Reaching under her pillow Haru mumbled into the speaker as Sanghyuk’s voice piped through the speaker.

“Wakey wakey time for breaky!”

“Shut up Sanghyuk, find yourself other friends than Minah and me.” Haru groaned, she had had a night full of readings and had pretty much fallen asleep three hours back. She felt Minah grab the phone from her and urge her to go back to sleep.

“Yah, Sanghyuk, stop calling. I’ll join you for breakfast. Stop whining. But for all that is good and holy if you call Haru up after knowing she’s pulled an all-nighter, I will end you.” Sometimes Haru wanted to marry Minah for dealing with Sanghyuk’s annoying behavior, but she stuck to just being her roommate for now. Then when Minah began nagging her about not getting enough sleep, she reconsidered the decision to marry her roommate. Watching Minah stumble around in the semi-dark, she watched Minah leave the room before turning back to go to sleep.

Except instead of phone calls, she got texts that prevented her from sleeping. She swore as she pulled her phone out yet again to see texts from Sanghyuk yet again.

 

“Loser, why don’t you join us for breakfast?”

 

“If Minah rips me a new one, it’s your fault.”

 

“Why aren’t you getting enough sleep?”

 

“Do you want to meet up today to work on the project?”

 

Haru squinted at the last text only to realize that it was from Hongbin texting her about the new theatre club production. Texting  Sanghyuk to go jump in a well, she responded to Hongbin with an ‘okay’. Hongbin was another one of Sanghyuk's friends but for some reason, Sanghyuk didn't bother him as much as he did her. Her phone buzzed yet again as she looked at the message from Sanghyuk and tossed her phone away, choosing to ignore :

 

“Bleh, I'm going to find you and bother you all day anyway.”

 

Tossing and turning in her bed, she wondered how and why she was friends with Minah, Hyuk, Hongbin, Haneul, and Sooyeon. They were all crazy for sure. Haneul and Minah tried to out mother one another. Hyuk was just a pain (even if he was a cute pain), Hongbin was pretty (and often petty) and Sooyeon was extreme hyper or extreme exhaustion.

Haru smiled at the ceiling, at least she had an entertaining life. Rolling over, she tried to fall asleep again realizing that she would have to go for her track and field practice in the evening and Sanghyuk would be there to give her hell for not turning up for breakfast. Thankfully she didn’t have any classes with him or she’d have to go about the day with her hair all mucked up because he’d ruffle it and whine and complain about her being an awful friend.

She only woke up next when Minah nudged her awake to remind her to go for lunch and hurry to class after. Stumbling out of bed and into the shower, the rest of Haru’s day was a blur as ran from class to class, half awake, not sure if she had brought along the right notebook to class or anything of the sort. She was glad that this whole all-nighter business was a once in awhile thing for her as compared to Minah who seemed to be up late almost every night with some reading or the other. She spotted Sanghyuk and Minah standing in the middle of the academic buildings to be joined by the football team captain, she waved to Minah who spotted her and grinned back. Sanghyuk quickly turned around to see who Minah was waving to, and hurried over to Haru who gaped at the large human now thundering towards her. Minah sighed and walked ahead to her class accompanied by the other man whose name Haru could never remember, what was it they called him again? Byakyua? Because of his hair making him look 'anime' or something, she gazed at the football captain's long hair that now reached his shoulders as he lumbered beside Minah, nearly twice her height.

“You didn’t come and meet me.” Sanghyuk grumbled as Haru rolled her eyes when he came into her vision. More like, blocked her vision.

“Did Minah rip you a new one?”

“No,” he mumbled, looking down before looking back up “you’re coming for track and field today right? Hakyeon has been losing it ever since I told him you’re sleep deprived.”

“I will, I just need to meet Hongbin for the theatre club project. We need to hand it over to Miya, she’s handling the music for it this time.” Haru replied, now leading the way to the labs as Sanghyuk followed.

“You’re working with such beautiful people. Eye candy and everything will distract you from me.” he puffed his chest making her roll her eyes.

“See, you spend all your time annoying me, so I’m pretty sure nothing beautiful in the world can distract me from your stupidity. So, hush and go to class, if you don’t have one, let me go for my meeting.” Haru grumbled, whacking Sanghyuk’s arm and leaving him in the corridor, grinning.

“I’ll see you at practice!” he sing-songed.

-x-

 

Hongbin was pretty for certain, but Haru was on a mission, to finish the general script for the upcoming play that the Theatre Club was putting up. Miya would join them soon enough to help out with the music.

“Bingbong!” Haru greeted making Hongbin scowl back at her as they settled down in the empty chemistry lab to script the play.

“You're late.” He grumbled as Haru sighed.

“Han Sanghyuk.” She offered as an explanation only to have Hongbin roll his eyes and call him a pest.

“He could at least help with the script being the genius he is.” Hongbin pursed his lips as the two looked over the last bit of the script they had been working on.

“Hahaha, good one Hongbin. Maybe if Minah asked him, he'll listen.” Haru said, picking up her pencil as the chemistry lab door opened and Miya walked in making the two halt the work they had just started.

Miya was ridiculously pretty and talented. She was almost everyone's favourite junior on campus.

“I figured it would be easier to help you guys with the script.” she said as Hongbin and Haru shifted to let her squeeze in the seat between them. She pored over the script and Haru felt blinded by the beauty of the two people beside her. No wonder the entire campus was in love with these two.

“Alrighty! Let's begin!” She said as they began brainstorming over their adaptation of Charley’s Aunt.

The process went on for about an hour or so with the usual squabbling and debate until they got hungry and Hongbin offered to get them snacks. When he left the room, Miya turned to Haru.

“I'm not sure if this is the right question to ask, but since you're both their best friend, I wanted to know if Minah and Hyuk are dating. Because there have been rumours going around and Minah has been too busy for me to even ask and I don't talk to Sanghyuk as much.”

Haru froze. She had never thought about that. Sure Minah and Sanghyuk was extremely close, but if they were going out, they would have definitely told her at least. Except they had not and Minah had mentioned several times that Sanghyuk was too much of a baby for her to deal with.

“Well, not that I know of.” She said, wondering why the thought of her two friends going out bothered her so much.

“I thought so too. Minah mothers Sanghyuk a lot. And bullies him too. Although they're quite cute together.” Miya shrugged, her face lighting up when Hongbin returned with the snacks and Sanghyuk and Minah on tow.

“Hello!” Sanghyuk's voiced boomed through the empty lab “we're here for Haru since I'm dragging her to the track and field practice!” He sing songed, making Minah roll her eyes and affectionately head his arm while he swung around her shoulder. Haru's eye quirked up as she turned to the other two.

“It's fine, the script is nearly done anyway, we'll finish the rest together. Off you go!” Hongbin said and he settled down beside Miya and the two resumed their work.

Haru followed Sanghyuk and Minah out of the room, his arm was still around Minah's shoulder as she joined them on their way to the girls block for her to pick up her kit and make her way to the field. Which was where Hakyeon attacked her with a hug and asked her why she hadn’t been sleeping while looking over her worriedly. Sanghyuk had to detach him from her before swinging his arm around her shoulder and lead her away to train.

“So,” she began as she supported his weight as he stretched “what’s up with Minah and you?” she could feel the muscle tense under the fabric of his clothing. He straightened before quirking his eyebrow at her, now supporting her weight as she stretched.

“What about Minah and me?” he asked, feeling Haru exhale and she said.

“Apparently you guys are going out.” she felt his hand on her back slip as he let out a laugh.

“What, no! Why would you say that?” he chuckled as she looked up with a relieved smirk.

“Gossip, gossip!” she wiggled her eyebrows at her tall attractive friend, whose inquisitive grin now made her heart tighten just a little.  He leaned closer to her and whispered.

“Tell meeeee.”

“YA! I know you two are done stretching will you start warm up and sprints?” Hakyeon’s voice boomed across the field making the two break apart and hurry to actually get down to training. They could see Hakyeon soon jogging up to catch up with them and Hongbin sink the ball into the basket on the basketball court in the distance.

Sanghyuk looked at Haru keeping a steady pace with him and wondered where the question even came from. He was pretty certain he showed his little crush on her quite obviously, except Minah said he was being childish about it. Isn’t it the rule to tease your crush? He sighed, jogging along with Hakyeon and Haru trying to tune Hakyeon’s rant about that girl Bora who was stealing members from the track and field club by bribing them with food. Hyuk knew Bora, she was as motherly a figure as Hakyeon was, which was probably what was causing the ego clash. He chuckled, maybe they would figure it out on their own time. Haru snuck glances at Sanghyuk, maybe this rumour about Minah and him was making her realize a lot more things about her feelings towards him.

On their way off the field, they spotted Jung ‘Byakuya’ Taekwoon with his football cleats in hand and his hair tied up for once in his life making him look a lot less like a mess and his eyes a lot more focussed running onto it. Hakyeon ran over to join him as Taekwoon shot him an aggravated look at his incessant chatter. Minah jogged up to them, her hair a disarray as she tried to push it back from her face with her tennis racquet swung over her shoulder.

“What happened to you hair tie?” Haru asked with her eyebrow raised as Sanghyuk ruffled Minah’s hair, making her swat at him with her hands.

“Lent it to someone.” she panted, now steadying her pace and joining them on their walk back. They saw Haneul scurrying out of the blocks, probably to accompany Wonshik to the club since he was performing that night. Sooyeon and Jaehwan had headed to the beach a little earlier in the week this time. There was so much going on around them, that was difficult to focus on themselves and when Minah spoke to Sanghyuk the next time, she made it clear that he had to tell Haru how he felt or else she would end his life.

-x-

"Fancy running into you here" Haru said with a twinkle in her eyes when Sanghyuk took a book and saw her across the shelf.

"You came here with me. In fact, you called me here." Sanghyuk reminded her as he pulled out another book. Wasn't this her job? He was here on a free weekend gathering books on her reading list and she was playing around.

"Haru..." he said from across the shelf, when she pulled out more books to be face to face to him.

 

"This is fun" she giggled.

"We're troubling everyone else in the library" he pointed out.

"It's a Sunday morning. There's no one here" she pointed out.

"Why are we here then?" he cried out indignantly.

"Because I have an assignment" she said with a dark scowl, her stupid professor had dropped it on her the day before and now her Sunday had gone for a toss.  "But I don't want to do it. So humour  me" she insisted.

"You drank too much coffee didn't you?" Sanghyuk asked her.

"The same as you did" Haru told him. Sanghyuk sighed.

"You're crazy" he told her. She hummed nonchalantly walking over to his side.

"You know, I just realized that there is no one here" he told her.

"Yup. So we could totally have played book hide and seek like we were. Then again all I could see was your chest.... what are you doing?"

She leaned back as he leaned into her. Her steps went back till she was against a bookshelf and he was in her space, smiling down teasingly at her. "Well, we are alone here" he suggested. He bent down to reach her lips only to have her poke his nose and whisper ‘boop!’ ands. "Dummy" she teased, her cheeks hot from the proximity,what on earth made him want to pull a move like that? Was her crush on her friend so obvious? Did he like her back?

Sanghyuk frowned as she got out from under him and picked up her books and headed to her table.So much for trying to tell her how he felt. Although he was sure Minah would not approve of the first method.

"I should get some reward for slaving away my Sunday morning" he grumbled. "That's what the extensive novel collection is for" she told him, pointing to a far off shelf. But Sanghyuk was having none of that.

“I want a better reward than spending the day in the library. I want a date with the girl I like.” he grumbled as Haru froze, her heart beating super fast (like it hadn’t already when he had pulled at stupid move on her).

“Who is that?” she asked, feeling awkward as she set her books on the table. Sanghyuk took a deep breath before grinning.

“Wouldn’t you like to know.” he sing songed, only to have her smack him on the arm and frown at him.

“Yes, as your best friend, I would like to know.” of course she would like to know who would break her heart. Was it Minah? Now that she had planted the idea of Minah and him in her brain? Was it Miya? He did say she was pretty. Who could it possibly be?

“What if I want to change that best friend tag?” he asked, sitting down next to her and wiggling his eyebrows making her look sulky and annoyed.

“Han Sanghyuk!”

“To girl friend.” he said making her freeze and gape at him.Was she hearing right? Did he just say he wanted her to be his girlfriend?

“Excuse me?”

“Don’t make me say it again.” he grumbled, hoping to god that she liked him back only to feel a sharp flick on his forehead “OW! WHAT WAS THAT FOR?”

“Of course, you idiot, I wouldn’t like anything better.” she mumbled making the frown on his forehead disappear and a grin take its place. She wasn’t entirely sure as to what to do when she felt him pull her into a hug, or when he kissed her forehead, but she was sure that when he kissed her for the first time after their date to a nearby cafe , and she kissed him back, his arms surrounded her and his teeth nipped at her lip playfully, she was sure, so sure that this was the comfort she had always wanted and this was her best decision so far.


HI :)

 

Thanks for reading <3