3. reminder

Meaning

He wrote pieces of letters that could build towers out of paper. Each floor would be constructed with feelings that only flew from the heart. His letters requested nothing more than curious understandings of his situations and why he stood in sticky mud. Mr. Do knew his feet would soak in the ruthlessness of life. So he wondered how he was destined to remove his right foot. Maybe wish for a genie and swear loyalty onto his royal rings. Then he supposed his left foot would be destroyed by the witch he wanted to call. He was defeated, he’s realized.

Kyungsoo remembers the thick smell of a bloody fire melting in his nostrils. He gripped onto his mother’s gentle fingers, watching his brother being stabbed to death with no life watering in his eyes. Why? He kept asking his mother as they ran through the burning castle. He could feel rage turning his face a fire red. He screamed the question until his mother stopped her track and yelled, “It’s because of our powers! Our holy book! Us! We’re being killed because of us!”

Kyungsoo shouted at her with more anger. “Brother was killed because of our powers! That doesn’t make any sense!”

“They hate us!” The Queen of Tarleria confirmed, tears flowing from her eyes, “It’s all because of our way life. They hate the way we live. You must understand, child. Tarleria is under attack because of who we are.”

Kyungsoo remembered those loud yet meaningful words as if life had replayed it for him every day. As he grew older, he knew what his family was and why they were despised. However, his heart could not feel more proud. Everything was a lie. No one understood what it meant to be Tarlerian. How could they?

“You’ve been writing this whole time ya know?” Jongdae kneeled before him.

It had been four days since the fire had destroyed the town and Kyungsoo decided to join Jongdae. He didn’t say much. He told Chanyeol to shut up for talking too much and said a few yes’s and no’s. Kyungsoo believed he was still numb that he had no choice but to tell his secret. Jongdae or his friends never brought it up. Not even the little girl.

Their next task was to find the girl’s mother. The town was completely destroyed by time the fire had died. Jongdae promised her they would find the one she loved most. Kyungsoo would rather choke. However, he was left with no other solution.

“Does it bother you?” His voice was a rasp.

Jongdae shrugged. “No,” He told him. “I feel like you don’t want to be with us.”

“You’re right. I don’t want to be with you or them.” Kyungsoo answered quickly, eyes serious as ever.

“Then leave.”

Kyungsoo was bewildered by the statement. It was the first time Jongdae had shown him negativity after he tried to steal his belongings. He actually treated Kyungsoo well. “So you can open your big mouth and tell someone who I am? No. I have to watch you.”

“Watch me for the rest of your life? What a pity,” Jongdae shook his head. “I could give two s about your powers, Kyungsoo. I’ve seen more shocking things then you taking me from fire into snow. I know it’s hard to believe but I have. If you really want to go then go. Your stupid secret is safe with me.”

“And why should I trust you?”

“It doesn’t matter if you trust is within you or not. Only future will tell if my words held truth to them. It’s all up to you.”

Kyungsoo frowned. He noticed he did that a lot. “It’s all up to me decide if those Tarlerian hunters will find me from the palm of your hands? My life is in danger because of you!”

Jongdae shook his head, hands on his hips. “No one told you to rescue us, jackass.”

“But I had to!” Kyungsoo shouted. “It wouldn’t be the Tarlerian-“

“When are you going to shut up about Tarleria?” Jongdae asked. “I’m so tired of hearing about Tarleria! My mother ranted about that burned city all my life. I got away from her because of it,” He got closer to Kyungsoo’s annoyed face. “And I won’t allow you to bring me back to that place.”

Kyungsoo stared for a moment before returning to his letters. His fingers were puppets to his words. He was a puppet to his mind, he noticed. He also noticed Jongdae never moved away. He stared Kyungsoo in eye as if a flock of dead birds were in them. “What do you want?”

Jongdae managed a glare, whispering with his words. “My main concern at the moment is to get that little girl to her mother. I know you could give two about us which is fine. I feel the same. Chanyeol too. But what you’re not going to do is bring your negativity with us. Just do us a favor and leave.”

Kyungsoo could feel his eyebrows slacken, concern being the only thing his mind could understand. “But I don’t want to.”

“Well buddy you’re really at pretending you don’t.” Anger hid secretly in Jongdae’s voice.

Kyungsoo didn’t understand what his words meant, if they were true or not. All he knew that they were said and what was done couldn’t be undone. “Forgive me. I won’t talk about Tarleria anymore.”

Jongdae seriousness had died with an amused smile and a contradicting question. “What other things can you do with your powers?”

“I can do a lot.”

“Like?”

“A lot.”

Jongdae seemed to give up. “We’re about to look for food. Wanna join?”

Kyungsoo nodded.

-

Darkness fell onto their skins, the cold weather becoming their best friend. They walked miles and miles with a sicken child in the arms of a leader and a sad prince with nothing to lose. Everything was falling together and falling apart at the same time oddly. The thieves and their new members loved the journey of misery. It was almost a walk closer to depression. Jongdae didn’t mind. Chanyeol didn’t mind. Sehun didn’t mind. It was respected and familiar. They’ve met this walk long ago which led harm to others but it was a part of their lives so it wasn’t anything new.

The walk was also silent. Suggesting that trauma was sitting deeply in their hearts, no one felt it was appropriate to make light. The thieves didn’t really feel for the people who lost their lives but for the little girl that lost her mother to evil men. Jongdae wasn’t a saint but he knew he didn’t have to guts to burn a small town. He ruined many lives but hopefully this mission to revenge a lonely girl mother and her town would redeem him. He wanted his sins to be confessed even though just a while back he tried to steal Kyungsoo’s things.

Jongdae looked back at the prince and noticed how far back he was, his paled skin mocking a ghost. He wondered if Kyungsoo’s life had completely died the moment he was forced to tell them he was Tarlerian royalty, last of his family. Jongdae wondered why he hadn’t avenged his family yet or why he hid. Was he planning on being a shadow for the rest of his life? He didn’t get Kyungsoo. He wished he wasn’t an infinite puzzle.

He jumped when the little girl nuzzled into his neck as he carried her.  Jongdae didn’t know why he had become so attached to her after only a few days. He wanted to protect, a precious item he’s never had. He had learned her named was Amber. She didn’t talk much but he still felt comfortable with her and hopefully she felt the same way.

“Are you cold?” He asked her stupidly.

She nodded. Her response made Jongdae hug her even harder, wishing he had anything to cover her up with. A light went off in his empty mind and looked back at Kyungsoo and shouted, “Hey! Can Amber borrow your cloak?”

Kyungsoo lifted his head, eyes big. He was hesitant but took it off nevertheless. Jongdae walked towards him and whispered a small ‘thank you’, wrapping the warmth around Amber. “You know, Kyungsoo. Killing those ers who destroyed Amber’s town shouldn’t be that hard if you have powers, no?”

Kyungsoo put his hands over his chest, head still down. “I’m not killing anyone.”

Jongdae frowned. “And why not?”

“I kill according to the Tarlerian book. Not to avenge.” Kyungsoo broke his promise to not mention Tarleria.

Chanyeol sneered. “That’s stupid. Living through a book. Letting your life be dictated by a book. You’re not living man.”

“I live through Tarleria.” Kyungsoo whispered.

“I bet.”

Jongdae gripped became firmer on Amber. “What? So you don’t plan on helping us find them?”

“I already know where they are.”

Jongdae stopped his tracks. “Oh, so saying, “Hey guys I know where those murderers are but you know what, I’m going to walk in the back like a lonely sheep and make you guys do circles and circles until I feel like telling you I have powers to locate town burners. Oh, god I’m such a good person.’ You didn’t think about that, buddy?”

“Don’t start, Jongdae?”

A frown touched his face. “Don’t start? You should’ve started by telling us you knew where those guys were.”

Sehun spoke for the first time, sighing. “We should’ve just left that kid. He’s just trouble.”

“I agree.” Chanyeol said, frustrated.

“Well maybe if you didn’t try to steal my things, we would have never met.” Kyungsoo argued back.

“No one expected you to be a ing psycho with powers!”

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lips, a habit he did when he was at lost for words. Silence filled the air until he spoke with seriousness drowning in his tone. “I’ll leave then…but if I swear, if I ever hear that you told anyone who I was, I will kill you. Even the people you love most.” He glanced at Amber and walked away with coldness stoning his heart.

 

-

TARLIRIAN HOLY BOOK

Chapter 7

The only friemd you must know is your family.

 


 

Sorry for not updating, life got out of hand. Kaisoo will be coming next chapter!!! How do you guys think they'll meet? Share your opinions on anything!