1. king of no one

Meaning

 

1.

 

He could feel the white light the sun offered on the back of his neck, the cracks of the abandoned house allowing the beauty of the outside destroy the darkness of the inside. He even felt sweat travel down his skin. He hardly ever got hot - Kyungsoo. The continuous use of his black cape made him immune to the sun's power. He could defeat anything, really. If he felt like touching trees with a blanket of snow protecting the branches then he’ll call for a winter. If he felt like smelling fireworks of color then he’ll dance for a pretty spring. Only he could see a different season in hot summer. But today, he felt what everyone felt: heat but he didn’t at all of the same time.

 

Kyungsoo wore a mess of black clothes: gloves, boots, bandanas, and side pockets. He considered himself a scavenger, always searching for what he can and make a living out of it. Life had thrown swords at him but he caught them all and he even thought of calling himself a samurai. Living like this was stressful but acceptable. Even though being broke enough to not always for afford bread was troubling, Kyungsoo still believed he was privileged.

 

The first thing he felt when he opened the door of the abandoned house was the sun's beauty. It pierced into his skin like little needles. Kyungsoo groaned but wanted feel what everyone in the South felt so he began to walk through the deep sand. His feet got stuck every other minute but he had gotten use to the uncomfort. For past ten years, walking in sand had became a natural process.

 

Kyungsoo reached into his bag to search for his item that would surely feed him tonight. It was a small kraxk with a silver touch painting it. For the first time in a long time, a smile was finding its way on his tired face. His mind traveled with the tastes of guaranteed food: sausage, chicken, potatoes, bread, and lemon cakes. He hadn’t been able to get his desperate hands on food like that in months. During a time of a financial crisis, finding things was harder. Kyungsoo would discover things that would be worth five cronz. However, because money is hard to get, no one is willing to give it away to scavengers who need it most. Unless the item held great value like his silver kraxk.

 

It’s an ancient coin with face of Queen Margaret beauty. She ruled all of Tarleria fifty years ago with passion and kindness living in her heart. It wasn’t until she was assassinated by a terrorrist group that the government stop printing her face on kraxks. Kyungsoo never understood why they had done that. He didn’t understand anything really.

 

Kyungsoo rushed his strong legs into the shop when he realized he was nearing the city. He lived in an area where there was only twenty houses and small store. Well he didn’t lived there. He lived behind the store when the owner left at 10. Kyungsoo spent most of his day exploring the land of Bruna so he didn’t have to deal with the store owner complaining about him. He knew Kyungsoo took his dreams there but would only disapprove if he caught him. Get there ten minutes after he leaves. Wake up twenty minutes before morning.

 

When Kyungsoo walked into the shop, mixtures of sweat and heat swam in the air. His nose scrunched at the smell. He walked to the man with bald head and big belly and said, “Silver cronz.” He placed the item on the desk with confidence.

 

The big belly man eyed the item with a mug painting his face. “You got a real nice today dontcha?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded.

 

“Hmm,” The man squinted his eyes to get a better look, “I’ll give you ten cronz for this silver. How does that sound?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded again. “Fine.”

 

Big belly pulled out ten cronz out of his pocket and handed it to Kyungsoo. “Don’t waist it lad.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded for the third time and left with his ten cronz.

 

He smiled touched his heart shaped lips as he walked through the sand town. He watched the children chase each other with childish hearts and mother screaming at them with a motherly hearts. Kyungsoo wished he knew how that felt. He wondered why he felt this way all of a sudden. Perhaps it was because he was promised to a good meal tonight and it reminded him of his mother. He doesn’t know why it did but he sure he’ll never know so he lets the thought dropped as if it had no meaning.

 

Later that night, the moon’s white light had called on the small town and Kyungsoo was sitting in a deserted area with his chicken, sausage, and lemon pie. He chugged the food down with no hesitation. It had been so long since he was fed properly. His body was still stronger than ever which didn’t really make a bit of sense.

 

Kyungsoo rose from the ground, his bottom soaring from the position before. He popped the last bit of his lemon pie into his and it wasn’t until he had swallowed that he had noticed three silhouette stealing his things. He watched as they dug threw his things at the back of the shop. He had hid his treasured items in a bag underneath the warm sand which included his mother’s neck, the holy book of Taraleria, and more precious items he loved dearly.

 

Anger rose to his cheek, the fire red painting his face. He pulled out his Tarliarian steel, an old sword that had great value. He rushed to back of the shop and could feel the sand sink in but he disregarded it like cat disregarding a human. His heart beated dramatically and it wasn’t until then that he realized he loved those items more than life could know.

 

A tall thief allowed his eyes to widen at the attack that was soon to happen. He tapped on his partner's shoulder, cat smile, and let panic to escape his mouth. Kyungsoo watched cat smile ignore the call for help and he picked up his speed. It wasn’t until cat smile felt a cold neck touching his heated skin.

 

“Ishnai kran(Don’t move)”, Kyungsoo said with a voice with nothing but violence and danger dancing in his tone.

 

Cat smile brought his nickname to light when he welcomed the smile of a cat to kiss his lips. “Hey buddy. No reason to threaten me. And you speak Tarlirian? Me too! My mother is Tarlirian.”

 

Kyungsoo scrunched his eyebrows. “Tono mi lano doshai malenai kroshnaere. Jami dieh con naeshii bas marchinoe parpavlair(I don’t care who you mother is. Drop my things now it’ll be your head that will be dropped.”

 

Tall guy smacked his lips. “Can you two please stop speaking in that weird language?” His smacked once more once he was ignored.

 

“Okay, buddy,” Cat smile put down the bag as slow as a turtle. “I don’t want any problems here.”

 

Kyungsoo removed his blade once he saw the bag on the ground. “Shevae (Leave).”

 

Cat smile dusted the sands of his pants. “I didn’t introduce myself,” He extended my hand. “I’m Jongdae.”

 

Kyungsoo tightened his grip on his sword handle. “Valerio don markee(I don’t care what your name is).”

 

Footsteps moved silently behind him and before anyone could lay their fingers on him, his sword was already at the side of man’s stomach. The man was more handsome than his other friends, cat smile and tall guy. Kyungsoo decided to call him handsome man. But handsome man was about bring harm to him so he was now given the name “ugly man”.

 

“This guy is psycho!” Tall guy shouted, eyes wide.

 

Cat smile sighed. “You need to be more nice Chanyeol. We did try to steal his things.”

 

Chanyeol threw his long arms in the air. “We’re thieves, Jongdae. The Unseen gang.”

 

“Yeah and now we were seen. What’re we going to do now?” Jongdae asked. He turned to Kyungsoo and realized Sehun still had a sword threatening to cut him open, “Hey. Dums omae vrubak. Warii aki’, aero(I don't want any problems. We'll just leave, yeah)?”

 

“I speak your language.” Kyungsoo’s accent was thicker than Jongdae had ever heard. The Tarleria dynasty was burned twenty years ago. Surely Kyungsoo was just a child then. Why does he still have an accent? Jongdae wondered.

 

“I wanna talk,” Jondgae confirmed. “But please my friend go.”

 

Kyungsoo removed his sword from its prey with appreciation that Jongdae wasn’t playing his game anymore. “Leave.” Sehun ran to Jongdae side, pulling his arm for them to follow Kyungsoo’s direction but Jongdae rebelled.

 

“Where are you from? Tarlerea?”

 

Kyungsoo felt an uncomfortable presence cut between. He always spoke in his mother tongue but no one ever questioned his nationality. Stupid, he thought. “No.”

 

Jongdae’s eyebrows touched. “Then how are you able to speak Tarlirian fluently? My mother is Tarlerian and she survived the attack. Did you? I lived with my father at the time.”

 

Kyungsoo twitched his hands, his eyebrows bending with worriness. “It doesn’t concern you and I told you to leave already. You said you don’t want any trouble but yet you continue to cause trouble.”
 

“I don’t want trouble. I’m just asking questions. I’ve never came across a someone with a Tarlirian tongue in twenty three years of life besides my mother,” Jongdae insisted. “Who are you?”

 

Kyungsoo eyes widened with fear. Who am I? No one. Quick as a cheetah. Untrusting as a cat. Quiet as a snake. Remember! Kyungsoo placed his sword into it’s socket while sighing. He looked at Jongdae, praying the truth wasn’t painting his face. “I’m Aree.”

 

“Aree,” Jongdae repeated. “I know you’re lying but that’s fine. But, Aree, we got off on a bad start but maybe you’ll want to work for us. You got the moves, the weapons, the attitude. Don’t ya think you’ll suit us best?”

 

“I don’t want a psycho path as my partner.” Chanyeol said.

 

“Yeah me neither. That guy is crazy man. Let’s just go.” Sehun agreed, still bitter by the fact his life was almost taken away.

 

Kyungsoo grabbed his bag from the ground and slung it over his shoulder. “I have no interest working with thieves. I’ll rather live my final moments in peace.”

 

Jongdae watched “Aree” walk away. “Final moments?”

Kyungsoo turned around with starkness touching his face. “The storm is coming. Be prepared. Stealing won’t prepare you for the war,” He confirmed. “If you say your mother is from Tarleria then you of all people should know that.”

 

Jongdae gulped. “You actually believe in that ? That stupid legend about those burnt demons terrorizing us?” Jongdae shook his head in disbelief. “You truly are a Tarlerian.”

 

Kyungsoo tighten his lips and said, “Tarlerians don’t lie. We know the truth.”

 

“Just like how the king of Tarleria lied to his people and allowed you all to suffer?”

 

Kyungsoo eyes widen, thankful his back was the only thing Jongdae could see. He gripped onto his bag tighter and began to walk away. “Valamei talare e’(You’ll regret that).” He disappeared with the sand and neither of them was prepared for the future that changed both of their lives.

 

Kqeng ie hee ja.

 
 

-

 

TARLIRIAN HOLY BOOK

CHAPTER 1

 

When ashes fall upon the scented grounds, all was known that it was the time. No sounds of children laughing through their freedom will be heard. No smells of food with the taste of unique culture will be smelled. No beautiful castles to tell the history of the wonderful countries will be seen. Pain will be a friend. Suffering will be dinner. Fear will be felt. In all the kingdoms in the world of Narrokiss, demons known as Valac’s prey will walk the land of every city we know. It will be the called of The Storm. Only the blood of the Protector of the Land will know the way of a prevention. ---

 

 


 

eeh, i don't really know how i feel about this chapter. i feel like my writing could have been better. i got lazy i guess :/ anyway, i'll try harder next chapter. - alex