Final

Enough To Let Me Go

The bell rang on the door, signaling that someone just came into the shop. I didn't even have to look up from my book that I had been reading. I knew who it was.
 

"Um, excuse me? I'm looking for the most annoying, irritaiting girl in the world who just happens to be dating my best friend". I smiled and looked up at Taeyong, who was walking up to the counter as he talked.

"Oh, yeah? What did Yuta want you to tell her this time" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"He wanted me to tell her that her oh so lovable, and kissable boyfriend, his words not mine, has a late practice and can't make it see her tonight, like the plan was." My smile fell. Another date cancelled. Oh, how I hated football. Taeyong's smile slipped off his face.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. I wish he would just tell you himself instead of asking me to," he sad, his clear hazel eyes fixated on me. I sighed.

"I guess I'll go call him", I said, picking up my phone. Taeyong nodded. He opened his mouth but then closed it again, clearly wanting to say something but didn't seem to know how . I gave him a small smile and got up from the counter and walked through the small bookstore. I stopped in between two rows of shelves. I hit Yuta's number and held the phone to my ear. He answered on the third ring.

"Hey Y/N. Did Taeyong talk to you about tonight?" Yuta said. I could hear the clatter of the locker room behind him. I was annoyed by it.

"Yeah. He did, but he was a little short on details," I said, picking up one of my short brown curls and twirling it around my finger. Now, if you knew me, you would know that I only did that for two reasons. One: I was flirting. Two: I was getting angry and trying not to show it.

"Um, well Coach called an extra-long practice today to get us ready for the game on Saturday," Yuta said, in a way that made me think that I was annoying him. Good. The least he could do was call me and tell me he wasn't coming.

"Yeah, I know, but why couldn't you call me to tell me you couldn't make it," I asked, my voice getting a little hard. Yuta must have heard it because his voice hardened too.

"When was I supposed to call? I just got out of my prep class and had to come straight here. Beside, I never annoy you when you can't make a date for your practices".

"That's completely different! I call you when I can't make it. Not make one of our friends go and tell you that I have a long softball practice. And that's once in a blue moon. With you, it's almost everyday!"

"Hey, you know football is my passion. You can't expect me to skip something I love just so I can go on one date with you!" That shut me up. The pain of his words seared through me like a hot knife. I waited for him to take it back, to say that he was sorry and that he loved me. But it never came. Instead, I heard:

"Look Y/N, I have to go. I'll talk to you later". And he hung up. I stood there for a couple of seconds, numb. He really knew how to strike a chord in me.

"Hey, are you ok?" I heard Taeyong approach behind me. I opened my mouth but no words came out. Instead, tear flowed down my cheek. I tried to brush it away, but not before he saw it.

"Oh, Y/N..." Taeyong looked pained. He pulled me into his arms in a hug. I buried my face in his shoulder and let myself cry. After a couple minutes, I pulled back.

"You know, I love the guy to death, but sometimes I wanna beat the living daylights out of him" Taeyong said. I let out a strangled laugh and nodded whipping my eyes. "I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder why I keep doing this to myself and why I don't just break it off. With Yuta, I mean". As soon as I realized who I was talking to I pressed my lips together and closed my eyes.

"Oh God, Taeyong... I forgot... I'm so dumb..." I said, breaking off when I saw him shaking his head. Taeyong ran his hands through his hair and began to pace up the small aisle.

"Taeyong, I didn't mean what I said. I'm just upset" I said quickly. Great, now I made him angry by saying that I might break up with his best friend since third grade. Taeyong stopped in front of me and shook his head.

"No, I-It's not you. It's me... and what you said. But not the way you think" he paused and looked at me with those puppy dog eyes. He signed. I could see his jaw clenching and unclenching.

"Look, you saying that you might break it off with Yuta isn't what's making me so angry" Taeyong said, not looking at me. "It's that fact that you have felt this way for a long time and while you feel like this, he's off playing football as if that the most important thing to him. But then again, maybe it is and I hate him for it." Taeyong took a deep breathe. "And sometimes I hate myself, too". I felt my face flash with confusion.

"Why? It's not your fault".

Taeyong laughed, sourly. "Yeah, it is. Because I should be down at the field, yelling at him to get his act together or else he's going to lose you. But I'm not. Instead, I'm here doing something I know I will regret in the long run". With that, Taeyong walked over to me, cupped my face in his hands, and pressed his lips to mine. And, against my better judgment ,I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him back.

After what felt like forever, Taeyong pulled back. We just stood there, with my back pressed against the shelf and our foreheads pressed together. I lifted my arms and wrapped them around his neck. He brought his hands down and rested them on my waist.

"God, I've wanted to do that for a long time," Taeyong breathed. I lifted my head and pressed my palm against his chest, shaking my head.

"We can't do this. It's ... It's not right" , I whispered. Taeyong backed away from me, nodding.

"Yeah, I know. I get it, " he said, he turned around and started to walk away. Then, he stopped and turned towards me. "But just so you know, he's not worth the tears. Yeah, sure, he's my best friend, but ... he doesn't deserve you." I looked at him sharply.

"Oh, and you deserve me, right?"

Taeyong looked at me with his puppy-like eyes and my knees felt weak.

"No, Y/N. I don't . You're better than me. I always knew that, but I didn't want to walk away without trying." And he was out the door, gone.

I leaned my head against the shelf behind me. Taeyong and I kissed... it was wrong and never should have happened. But did I regret it?

No.

My breath caught at the thought. No, I didn't regret the kiss and didn't regret any of it. I sprinted up the aisle and out the door of the store. Outside, rain was pouring down. The frigid air would have made me shiver if I hadn't been busting with adrenaline. I looked franticly, around for Taeyong. Then, throug the rain, I saw him over by his car getting out his keys.

"Taeyong!" At the sound of his name, he looked up and saw me. I took off running toward him. When I reached him, I didn't even think. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him with every ounce of might I had. After a couple of minutes, I pulled away, our faces inches apart.

"You were wrong," I said, "You do deserve me. But I don't know if I deserve you?" Taeyong laughed and brushed my hair from my face.

"I don't think that's a question we have to ponder over," he said laughing. He bent down and kissed me again. He wrapped his arms around my waist and spun me around. My laughing echoed throughout the parking lot. When Taeyong finally put me down, he got a serious look on his face. "How are we going to tell Yuta?" I just smiled. "Don't worry about him. I'll take care of it". Taeyong raised his eyebrows.

"You're not going to kill him, are you?"

I laughed and we kissed again, right there in the pouring rain, both of us drenched. That day brought the first of many kisses and many unforgettable days.