What are neighbors for?

What are neighbors for?

Himchan twisted the key in the lock, pushing the handle down and stepping into his apartment.

 

Home sweet home.

 

He smiled, pulling the key out and kicking the door behind him with the heel of his foot. After being stuck in his office for 2 whole days with almost no sleep, he had been eager to just plop down on his bed and fall asleep.

 

However, not before giving his two little fluff balls a whole ten minutes of cooing and cuddling or maybe for longer.

 

“Sangchu. Haneul. ” Himchan called out, dropping his bundle of keys by the shoe cabinet and taking off his shoes.

 

His eyes scanned for either greyish looking fur or for the cream colored fur. As he stepped foot into the living room, his eyes zoned in on one thing, not the two cats that sat still and looked up at him but at the greyish colored assumed dead rodent lying in front of them.

 

His entire body froze, while his eyes just zoned in on the unmoving rat.

 

A scream escaped his throat causing his two cats to jump in surprise looking at their owner in shock. Himchan ran for the door and hastily grabbed his keys, shutting his apartment door and heaving for air and cursing in his head.

 

 

 

Oh, Mother of God, please save me! Let the image out of my mind. I can’t live anymore.

 

He sobbed in his mind, clutching onto his keys, hard enough to leave a tiny imprint against the flesh on his palms.

 

Oh, my little babies, umma is sorry for leaving you guys in there!

 

Himchan had a habit of calling himself umma when dealing with his two cats for some reasons. He cursed himself for being a bad owner, turning around to face his apartment door, not having the guts to unlock it.  Okay, maybe I’ll try and call some rat exterminating company to come and clean the mess up.

 

He brought his phone to view, pressing the home button and watching the screen light up. 10: 56 PM

 

Nope, no person is willing to save me at this hour.

 

Thoughts and ideas were flying through his head as he thought of ideas to rescue his two little fluffballs even though they were the ones who left him a little “gift.” How about I ask one of my neighbours?

 

His finger snapped as he grinned, revealing his pearly white teeth. Himchan quickly rushed to the door that was a few doors down. He knew that the one across from him lived an elderly grandmother and her husband while the one next to him, newlywed couples who would not stop having . For ’s sake, freaking bunnies.

 

 

Well, at least they had a better life than Himchan will ever have. The man sighed, walking towards to the very last door by the end. The last door was the only one in which he didn’t know who lived behind because he has never seen the owner before.

 

His shaky hand brought his index finger to press the doorbell as Himchan released a shaky breath. In his other hand was his phone clutched tight along with his keys that were looped around one of his fingers through the center ring that held every key.

 

When no one answered the door, Himchan attempted a second time, tapping his foot furiously. He was trying to push the thoughts about what was going on inside his flat as they were all negative thoughts.

 

The door was suddenly pushed opened, scaring the man standing outside. A man probably around his age appeared dressed in a low cut white tank top and a pair of heather grey joggers that hung low on his hip. “Yeah?”

 

A deep and husky voice rumbled from his chest as the man stared at Himchan, looking into his eyes. Himchan also noticed that a large tattoo was painted across his chest and another tattoo was on the inner side of his arm.

 

“I-uh… No um… Nothing, I’m pretty sure I’ve got the wrong address… Haha…” Himchan trailed off awkwardly, bowing and getting ready to leave.

 

“Oi, if you’ve got a problem then tell me, I know you live a few doors down, 606 right?”

 

Himchan shuddered at the man’s deep voice, stiffly nodding. It wasn’t that his voice scared him or anything but it was probably his scary features or the way he worded his sentence.

 

“Yeah, I just… never mind. I apologize for ringing your doorbell at this hour.” Himchan bowed, getting ready to leave when his forearm was caught in the palms of the stranger.

 

“Is there a problem that you would like to consult with me? I’m all ears.” The man turned Himchan’s body to face him.

 

If possible, the stranger’s features seemed to soften a little bit as Himchan let out a sigh. “Well, I just can’t go into my apartment right now.”

 

“Because?”

 

Himchan’s face warmed up, knowing that it was a little stupid for ringing someone’s doorbell looking for help in dealing with his own problems at home.

 

“My cats, one of them decided to bring me a little ‘gift’ for which I’m grateful that they want to gift me with something but I just have a problem with the content. Okay, I know I’m stupid and a scaredy cat for ringing your doorbell so if you’d let me go.” Himchan let out, attempting to get out of the man’s grip.

Himchan glanced up at his neighbor’s eyes where an amused glint seemed to hide. A soft chuckle came out of the male as he patted Himchan’s bed of pinkish hair.

 

“I take it that that’s the reason for that scream then. Do you mind if I go into your apartment and get rid of the ‘gift’?”

 

His question took Himchan by surprise as he watched the latter in shock. “A-are you sure?”

 

The man shrugged. “I’ll just close my door then if you don’t need my help. Maybe you’ll find a different person to do it for you.”

 

Himchan grabbed his arm. “No, no! Here're my keys…” He hesitantly handed the dark hair male his keys watching him walk towards to his apartment door.  “Head into my apartment if you’d like.”

 

He called out, unlocking Himchan’s door and stepping in.

 

Himchan did not dare take a step near his door nor inside the stranger’s home. Instead, he stood by the opening of his neighbor’s door and peeked over at his apartment door.

 

It took the male about five minutes to return with a tied up bag in his hands. “I’ll head down and throw this away. You’re free to enter your apartment but I don’t think this little guy is the only one lurking around your flat.”

 

Himchan made a sound from his throat, not daring to walk through his apartment door. He stood outside of it, clapping his hands with his knees bent. “Sangchu, Haneul.” He called out, watching his fluff balls rush out into the hall and into his arms.

 

His hands rubbed behind their ears listening to their content purrs while his neighbor stepped out of the elevator.

 

“I take it that everything is fine now?” He asked, looking down at Himchan.

 

Himchan stayed quiet while petting his cats. The fact was, he was too darn scared to step a foot in his apartment but he was extremely tired from the overnight work. It would be difficult to drive to his parent’s house or a friend’s house to stay over.

 

“Is there another problem?”

 

“Not really…” Himchan sighed, picking his two cats up and pushing the door shut with his foot. The man watched him in confusion as Himchan pulled his keys out and started to head to the elevator.

 

“Where are you going at this hour?”

 

“Somewhere else to stay?” Himchan shrugged, pulling his face away from his cats so they wouldn’t have the chance to his face.

 

“Do you have a place to stay?”

 

"Yeah?”

 

 

The man looked at him with a raised eyebrow. 

 

 

"Okay, maybe not," Himchan admitted. 

 

“If it’s alright, I could lend you some space in my apartment? If you don’t mind some mess that is.”

 

Himchan’s face lit up but returned to its normal tired face. “I think I’ve bothered you enough today. Have a good night.” He smiled through his exhausted state.

 

“I’m sure you’re not in the condition to drive anywhere.” The man grabbed Himchan by the arm, pulling him gently inside his apartment and closing the door behind the two. All this time, Himchan was barefooted, not thinking to put on shoes as he ran for his life.

 

The apartment was a mess compared to his that was fairly neat and organized despite a little mess caused by his two troublemakers.

 

“Sorry for the mess but I hope you don’t mind it here.” The man rubbed his nape, looking down.

 

“Thanks for letting me in but I really shouldn’t bother you.” Himchan groaned as the two little troublemakers jumped out of his arms and landing perfectly on the floor.

 

His body was starting to give out on him as he shook his head, trying to keep his vision still. It was no use as he started to feel the world spin and his eyelids started to droop.

 

Arms caught him just in time as Himchan allowed his consciousness to slip away.

 

✘ ✘ ✘

 

His eyelids heavily lifted as he squinted, attempting to adjust to the sunlight peeking through the crack of the curtains. He groaned, sitting up and rubbing his eyes as well as patting down his bed hair.

 

“You’re up.” The same voice from before stated.

 

“Did I fall asleep here?” Himchan asked, cursing himself.

 

“I’m afraid yes.”

 

Himchan squeezed his eyes and wished that he could teleport somewhere else.

 

“I’m sorry, I really should get going,” Himchan mumbled, getting up, flinging the blanket off him and running out of the room. The layout of the house was similar to his so he knew his way around or at least knew his way around the main areas.

 

“Little fluffballs?” Himchan called out, still trying to pat down the bird's nest on his head.

 

He found both of them curled up against a mess on the couch full of paper. A figure approached him from behind causing Himchan to jump in his spot.

“Sorry, did I scare you?”

 

Himchan turned in his spot, facing the man. “It’s fine. I should be sorry for randomly crashing into your place with two cats.” He chuckled awkwardly, turning his head to look at the two sleeping figures.

 

“Do you mind if I just let them here until they wake up? I don’t want to disturb them.” Himchan grinned sheepishly, walking over to Sangchu’s body.

 

“No problem.”

 

“Thanks. I believe we haven’t formally introduced ourselves. I’m Kim Himchan.” Himchan smiled, holding out a hand for the man to shake. The latter’s hand held Himchan’s, giving the male a slight nod.

 

“Bang Yongguk.”

 

“Well then, I really should get going. If they wake up would you bring them back to my apartment and maybe feed them?” Himchan pressed his lips together.

 

Yongguk chuckled, nodding. "Sure.”

 

Himchan’s eyebrows furrowed as he stared up at his neighbour. “It’s fine if you can’t, I won’t really force you to do it I mean I could just take them to my parent’s house or drop them off by my friend’s. Maybe I could consider bringing them to my workplace…”

 

Yongguk watched as the male before his eyes rambled in amusement. He took a step forward to pat the light colored head. “It’s really fine. I don’t have work today so it’s not a problem watching your two cats.”

 

“Thanks. I have to go right now but can you come with me into my apartment….?”

 

Yongguk raised an eyebrow. “I need to change and wash up, my face looks like right now doesn’t it?”

 

“Not at all.” Yongguk slowly shook his head, stuffing his hands in his pockets while walking to the front door. He opened the door and stepped out after randomly slipping on a pair of shoes and waited for the pink haired male to exit.

 

Himchan followed suit, barefoot and walking towards his apartment, unlocking it and stepping aside so Yongguk would enter first. The man stepped in, taking off his shoes and looking over his shoulders after feeling hands grip at the back of his tank top. “Do you uh… want me to carry you perhaps?”

 

“N-no, I’m alright.” Himchan clung to Yongguk, hiding his face. Yongguk continued to walk until he found his way into Himchan’s bedroom. It was ten times cleaner than his but he shook that thought away and stepped aside, standing by the doorway. “I’ll stay outside this door, call me if you need.”

Himchan smiled gratefully, closing the door and leaving a tiny slit. He headed to his bathroom to freshen up and hop into the shower for a merely few minute, something that he has never done. The only reason why he took so little time was to not keep the man outside his room door waiting.

 

He quickly got dressed, shrugging on a white short sleeve button up and a pair of grey dress pants that had elastic cuffs, the ones which joggers came with. He ran a hair through his hair, considering to change the color of it.

 

The door was pulled open as Himchan smiled at Yongguk. “Thanks a bun-” At the corner of his eyes, he noticed a black thing speed across the living room bringing a long scream out of his mouth as he jumped on Yongguk who caught him despite being surprised.

 

“Motherer!” Himchan yelled, clinging onto Yongguk for dear life. He was chanting curses next to Yongguk’s ear as the man holding him up, calmly walked over to entrance/exit and placed him down.

 

“Do you need anything else? I’ll grab it for you.” Yongguk asked, ready to turn back and enter the battlefield.

 

Um, then can you grab some food for the cats and please separate the kitten food and the adult food, please. Also, would you grab the litter box as well? Oh! And the dental care in the cabinet in the main bathroom.” Himchan called out, biting his bottom lip, embarrassed.

 

Yongguk returned with all the said stuff, the solid food safe in their individual Ziploc bags. “Should we go?” He asked, nodding his head towards the door watching Himchan slip on a pair of light brown oxfords before exiting the place.

 

Himchan dropped by Yongguk’s place to check on Haneul before giving Sangchu who was awake  a pat on the head. “Don’t go playing around with rats.” He scolded lightly, tapping the cat’s nose watching it twitch. Sangchu sat still right next to Haneul who was sleeping away without a care.

 

“Um, Yongguk-sshi? Would you mind cleaning Sangchu’s mouth for me? I’m running a little late here.” Yongguk hummed, setting a bunch of papers to the side, leaving some room on the table to place the food and dental products.

 

“Thanks! I really owe you.” Himchan smiled, running for the door as he was already late to work.

 

✘ ✘ ✘

 

Yongguk sat by his desk in his work room that other people would normally use as a second room or a guest room. The door was opened ajar as Yongguk scribbled in his notebook, jotting lyrics down. The tip of the pencil was tapping against the paper as his phone rang. He jumped up, walking into the room across and closing the door behind him.

 

He lifted the cat carrier on one of his nightstands and placed it onto the ground gently. Before anything, he cleaned the things on the floor and stuffed them all in his closet, closing the door to the closet. He also slipped out of his clothes and changed into the ones that he used for feeding. His hands were covered with gloves as he opened the carrier.

A smile painted on his face as he looked at the tiny  figure in the carrier lying on the warm towels and heating pad. Yongguk gently lifted the kitten out and placed a towel on the floor before settling the kitten down. He quickly fixed up some formula milk with the materials already in his room before testing the temperature on his hand. He gently opened the kitten’s mouth and placed the bottle at its mouth as it clung onto the towel, almost as if it was kneading it.

 

The feeding session finished as he gently lifted the kitty and placed it on his shoulder, supporting it from the bottom. He made it into his bathroom and burped it before wetting a cotton ball with warm water to wipe the baby’s bottom, stimulating it.

 

After making sure everything was finished, he replaced the towels inside the carrier with new ones before placing the kitten back into the carrier and settling it into a dark spot next to his bed instead this time. Before closing the door to the carrier, he gave the kitten a little rub on the head before closing the door and making sure that it was closed properly.

 

✘ ✘ ✘

 

The grey cat strolled around Yongguk’s living room, jumping to the window and staring down at the busy street. It sat up straight in attention as he peered down at the moving figures and moving vehicles. A meow caused the cat to turn its head and stare at the white and cream colored kitty.

 

The cat sitting by the window turned its attention back to the street and ignored the constant meows of the young kitten by the bottom.

 

✘ ✘ ✘

 

Himchan rang the doorbell exhausted from his day of work. The same face answered the door as he stepped aside for the man to enter. The entering man greeted him with a nod, stepping in and taking his shoes off and watching grey fur circle around his legs. “You little rascal.” Himchan reached down to pick his 1-year-old cat.

 

Yongguk chuckled, disappearing into the kitchen only to return with Himchan’s supplies. “Have you thought of what to do with your apartment?”

 

Himchan nodded. “I called a company that specially deals with the little demons. They said they’ll be here at around 6PM and apparently they are opened 24 hours.”

 

“Little demons?” Yongguk grinned, revealing his gummy smile for the very first time. Himchan was taken back by his smile. The smile got him thinking that maybe he had misunderstood his neighbor.

 

Himchan blushed, snuggling with Sangchu to hide his face. They sat down at the dining table and Himchan had grabbed Haneul along the way, placing both of them on his lap as he chatted with Yongguk who constantly gave him a smile.

 

His phone suddenly rang causing Haneul to jump onto the table and away from Himchan while he laughed, picking his phone up. He placed Sangchu on the floor and stood up, still on the phone talking to the company. “Alright, I’ll be right there.”

He turned back to Yongguk and pressed his lips together. “Do you think you could help me one last time?”

 

Yongguk made a gesture, encouraging Himchan to continue speaking.

 

“They’re almost here and I kinda don’t want to step a foot into that apartment until everything is cleared… It just doesn’t feel safe.”

 

“And you felt safe with me earlier?” Yongguk laughed standing up and making his way out.

 

Himchan blushed, following the man. “That’s different.”

 

Yongguk held out a hand and Himchan cocked his head, slowly extending his hand and resting it on top of Yongguk’s. The man before him laughed, his eyes twinkling. “I was asking for the keys.”

 

“Oh.” Himchan’s face warmed up and reddened, handing Yongguk the key as he slowly began to retract the hand that was resting on Yongguk’s.

 

“Well since it has come to this,” Yongguk started, interwinding their hands together. “I might as well just do this.” He chuckled, pulling Himchan along with him while unlocking Himchan’s apartment door.

 

“Do you do this to everyone?” Himchan mumbled, wanting to take his hand away but at the same time not really.

 

“No, why do you think so?” Yongguk asked, pulling the door open and stood outside with Himchan waiting for the workers.

 

Himchan stayed quiet, looking down at his feet until people from the company came. They were asking him various questions before they were led in by Yongguk who did not know his way around well but still managed to give the workers the aid they needed.

 

While everything inside Himchan’s apartment took place, the owner himself was moping around the halls, waiting for any signs of Yongguk. Around half an hour passed and they were still not finished. Is it really that bad? Himchan thought, kicking his feet and humming tunelessly. Deciding to head back into Yongguk’s apartment, he noticed that Sangchu was scratching at a door that most likely lead into the owner’s bedroom.

 

“Yah, don’t do that to somebody’s door.” Himchan scolded lightly, scooping the cat up and the front legs curving to accommodate to the curve of his shoulder. The grey cat struggled against Himchan’s arms as he managed to wriggle out and landing perfectly on the floor, returning to scratch and make noises at the door.

 

“Kim Sangchu.” Himchan furrowed his eyebrows, confused regarding the cat’s behaviour. It was not until he heard soft cries of something that made him slowly peek into the dark room to hear the cries more clearly. His feet acted as a barrier for Sangchu so that the cat doesn’t jump into the room. Himchan swiftly slid into the room, closing the door behind him and recognizing the cries of a kitten.

The male had experience in taking care of kittens as Haneul was found as one. Himchan snooped around the room only to find a carrier by the side of Yongguk’s bed. When his hand pulled open the door, it revealed a small ruddy Somali kitten as young as two or three weeks old.

 

Himchan chuckled, completely realizing that he had completely misunderstood Yongguk for being a scary man. He looked around for an apron and found it hanging by the door as well as finding a box of gloves to wear. He cradled the kitten and used a finger to scratch behind its ears as well as its fur.


✘ ✘ ✘

“You know it’s not very nice to intrude a stranger’s room?” Yongguk grinned, his gum showing as he leaned by the door. Himchan was lying on the floor after feeding the kitten. His head twisted to look at Yongguk and he immediately stood, his face warm.

“S-s-sorry, I w-wasn’t doing a-anything.” Himchan stuttered as he made his way out of the room and turning his back towards Yongguk.

“I didn’t say anything.” A chuckle filled the silence as Himchan cursed himself.

“I need to go,” Himchan mumbled quickly, lifting his cats up from their comfortable state and struggling to carry his things.

“They suggested that you shouldn’t stay there for a while until they’ve fully accomplished their job,
” Yongguk stated, helping Himchan hold the things in his hands.

Himchan refused to meet Yongguk’s eyes as he made his way out to the hallway. “That’s fine, I’ll just crash at my friend’s place for a while. “

 

“Alright,” Yongguk said in a low voice, seeing Himchan out of the building as he watched the man place his cats into separate carriers in his car that was already in the trunk.

 

The man turned back to look at him and nodded his head. “Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.” Himchan smiled, revealing his bunny teeth as Yongguk shrugged, hands in pockets.

 

“Well, what are neighbors for?” Yongguk gave him a crooked smile that made Himchan heat up and look away.

 


A/N: I apologize that this little one shot has taken a while to be uploaded. After all, it's the start of another school year. T A T But anyways, here you have it. ^^ 

~Gigi