Closer

Closer

Loud music was blasting in the bar of a popular hotel in the city of Port Angeles, Washington. Behind the counter were a pair of bartenders, a man around his late twenties and a young woman in her early twenties. 

"Got any plans Seolhyun?" Mateo, the male bartender asked his partner for the shift.

"Oh the usual. Work and then sleep and then work again" replied Seolhyun. 

"Girl you need to loosen up and spend some time for yourself. You're young, you should be partying. Like go out and get lit! Live a little because soon you'll be in your thirties and feeling like you wasted your twenties" the hispanic man told Seolhyun who simply shrugged her shoulders in response.

"It's not a big deal, I'm happy working you know? I make enough for food and a place to live and I can always become a teacher or something with the English and History degrees I have."

The man sighed and then returned to his duties. As he was washing a glass, he saw a new patron sit down. She looked to be around her mid-twenties and she dressed in formal attire. He assumed she was a business woman and smiled as he went to greet her.

"What can I get you ma'am?"

"A sangria please" the woman replied.

"Right away ma'am" as Mateo was about to start on the drink, he saw his manager call him over.

"Hey Seolhyun can you cover this nice lady over here? Gabriela is calling me over and you know she has zero patience." Mateo asked his coworker.

"Sure thing Mateo" Seolhyun says as she makes her way over to the patron.

The woman who had ordered the drink looked up as soon as she heard the clearly Korean name, 'Seolhyun'. There weren't that many Koreans in this city and even if there were, the odds that it would be someone else with the same name was close to zero. When she looked over, she indeed saw her ex-girlfriend from two years ago. The patron, Hyejeong, smiled as she saw Seolhyun walking over, but it quickly dropped when she saw the anger in the younger Korean's face.

'Well, it's safe to say that she definitely remembers me' Hyejeong thought to herself.

"Uhm...Hi Seolhyun" the older woman awkwardly greets the bartender with the best smile she could make at the moment. Sure she had come to this town to find her ex-girlfriend, but she didn't necessarily have a game plan. Basically she was just gonna wing it and pray for the best. But as it stands right now, Shin Hyejeong could consider herself lucky if she left the bar without getting clocked by Seolhyun's heels. If looks could kill, the amount of pure malice in Seolhyun's eyes would have resulted in a crime scene that was worthy of Investigation Discovery or the nightly news. Hyejeong gulped down her saliva and knew if she wasn't careful, she could end up ed and not in the way she wanted. Since Seolhyun remained silent, Hyejeong took that as a sign to continue speaking.

"How've you been?" Hyejeong cautiously asked.

Bad Move.

Like a volcano that was ready to erupt, Kim Seolhyun, in the simplest terms, went the  off.

"How have I been?! How have I been?!! Oh wow you sure do have some damn balls! Either that or you're dumb as ! How do you think I've been after you left me without any warning?! You didn't call! You didn't text! you didn't even ing send me an e-mail! All you ing left me was some bull note about how you had to return home!"

Lucky for both of them, the room was blasting with loud EDM and they were the only ones by the bar at the moment. Everyone else was too busy dancing to notice the potential fight that could end up on world star hip hop. While Seolhyun was trying to calm down before she gave herself a felony in assault, Hyejeong was trying to collect herself as well. The older of the two had expected Seolhyun to be upset, after all who wouldn't be upset, but she didn't expect to get dragged that hard. Needless to say if Hyejeong didn't already feel guilty enough before, she now certainly has enough guilt to pass down to three generations.

"Why the are you back? Don't you think you've broken my heart enough the first time?!" Seolhyun yelled, but still much calmer than she was moments ago. 

"I-I...You.. I mean-" Hyejeong was speechless. Way to go Shin Hyejeong. Came back to get your girl just to become a stuttering mess because she ended your entire existence by reminding you want a piece of crap you are.

"Listen if you plan on just stuttering, please just enjoy your drink quietly. I don't have patience for you right now. It's taking every ounce of self control and the power of Jesus to prevent me from slapping you" Seolhyun snapped.

"Okay, just hear me out Seolhyun. Give me five minutes to gather my thoughts and explain to you everything. Five minutes. Nothing more, nothing less. Please, I'm begging you. If after what I say, you still want to clock me...well then I'll let you. I deserve a good punch for being such a ."

Seolhyun narrowed her eyes at her squirming ex-girlfriend. 

'Everything is telling me to tell her to off and I always told myself to ignore her if she ever came back, but seeing her now, I want to hear her out. Oh dear God please don't let me regret this.' Seolhyun internally groaned before letting out a huge sigh.

"Fine. You got five minutes. Make it quick."

"Thank you!!" Hyejeong quickly smiled. The same smile that used to make Seolhyun's heart melt. As much as Seolhyun hated admitting it, Hyejeong was still very attractive. In fact, Hyejeong looked like she had gotten more attractive from the last time they met. 

Seolhyun made Hyejeong her sangria and just her luck, no new patrons appeared so she had no excuse to leave.

"Alright so what do you want to tell me?" Seolhyun sighed. This night has been so hectic. She was almost about to take Mateo's advice and get drunk because she just wants to forget the emotional rollercoaster sitting across from her. 

"Okay, so you know how I came here two years ago on a vacation right?" Hyejeong starts.

"How could I forget? You basically hit and quit me" Seolhyun bitterly mumbles.

"Listen, that was not it. My feelings for you then were true. I wanted nothing more than to stay with you, but-"

"But?" the younger raised her eyebrow

"I had received a notice from my boss at the time. They were offering me a promotion and at the time I was just a small little intern at the law firm. A promotion was a big thing, I knew I had to do it if I wanted to get anywhere."

"You could've told me..."

"I know and I ing regret just leaving you like that. I was a piece of , but I felt if I told you, we'd make some promises about a long distance relationship that we wouldn't be able to keep. I didn't know how long it would take for me to return and I didn't wanna keep you chained up with false hope. I felt you'd just get over me and that would be easier for us both. But as time went on, I realized I was ing miserable without you. I still love you. I know I really ed up, but I want a second chance. If you give me it, I will prove myself worthy." Hyejeong confessed, leaving Seolhyun looking shocked.

"Seolhyun I-"

Smack!

Hyejeong's face stung, but she went back to stare at Seolhyun who was crying, her hand that slapped her still raised.

"I deserved that" Hyejeong chuckled to lighten up the mood while rubbing her stinging cheek. 

"Yes you do you ing jerk! Easier for us both?! You're dumber than I thought! You should've told me!"

"I know, I know. I really regret it. I'm so sorry" The lawyer gave the bartender a sad smile.

"I should kick you out, but you're an idiot and you do idiotic things." Seolhyun replied, finally giving Hyejeong a small smile.

"So... you forgive me? You'll give me another chance?" Hyejeong grinned.

"Woah hold the up there. Yes, I do forgive you because given your circumstances, I can understand why you did what you did. Even though you handled it really stupidly. However, the second chance thing, what makes you think I should give it to you? What if I already have a significant other?"

"You don't"

"You're so sure of this because...?"

"Because the way you reacted. If you didn't still have feelings for me, you wouldn't have reacted like that. And I know you, you're not the type to get into a relationship if you're not committed."

"Unlike some people" Seolhyun added and Hyejeong quickly groaned.

"Yeah yeah let it all out. You've cussed me out, exposed my stupid , and slapped me, which by the way you are strong as because goddamn my face feels like it's ing on fire! Got anything else you wanna do? Yell more? Slap my other cheek? I'll take it, just don't smash a glass across my head"

"You are irritating as , "

"Which you love."

"Whatever, are you staying at this hotel?" Seolhyun asked to change the topic.

"Yup!"

"ing great. I have to see you"

Mateo finally returned and apologized for having taken so long. 

"Sorry, Gabriela made me do some storage stuff and I took longer than expected"

"Don't worry about it, Mateo"

The rest of the night carried on without any drama and Hyejeong stayed the whole time.

"Don't you think you're drinking too much Hyejeong?" Seolhyun asked. Meanwhile Mateo was cleaning the remaining glasses in the sink and organizing the drinks.

"Nah I can handle my liquor. Don't worry, I ain't a weak lil " Hyejeong smirked.

"Who said I was worried? You can die from alcohol poisoning for all I care, just not on my shift. That's a lot of work to take care of."

Hyejeong held both her hands near her heart to fake an injury from Seolhyun's sharp words. The younger rolled her eyes and went back to work.

"So when you get off work?"

"None of your business"

The male bartender was listening in on the conversation between the two women and it wasn't rocket science to understand that they clearly had history. Mateo made a mental note to ask Seolhyun about it later when he gets the chance, so for now he'll just observe.

"C'mon what time you get off? You free tomorrow?"

"Ugh you're so aggravating! Yes, I'm free tomorrow. Now go annoy someone else!"

Hyejeong was having way too much fun annoying Seolhyun. "Great! Let's go out tomorrow!"

"How about no?"

"How about I pick you up at 10am?"

"Why are you like this?"

"Just agree and I'll stop pestering you"

"Fine! I'll go!" Seolhyun finally gave in.

"Great! Do you still live where you lived two years ago?"

"I do..." The younger Korean rubbed her temples, she definitely need a drink later.

"Sweet! I'll pick you up tomorrow and we can hang out. I'll go back to my room now. Night babe"

Once Hyejeong finally left, Seolhyun let out a breath of air that she didn't even know she was holding. Mateo walked up to her and observed the girl. In all the months he has worked with Seolhyun, he has never seen his partner this visibly drained. 

"So I take it you know her?"

"Unfortunately. She's my ex"

"I figured as much. I never thought you were a lesbian"

"Well I'm biual, but yeah that's my ex from two years ago. It doesn't bother you right?" Seolhyun carefully asked. Mateo and her weren't super close, but she thought of him as a friend and it would to have to work shifts with a homophobic .

"Why would it bother me? Love is Love right? I'm Catholic, but it doesn't mean I believe everything my church tells me. You homoual? You going to hell! You had before marriage? Hell awaits! Like damn, sometimes they be sounding like that coach in Mean Girls. 'Dont' have cause you will get pregnant. And Die'. Give me a break. Let people live a little. If I really have to wait until marriage before having , I'd rather be dead. I'm not trying to be some thirty year old !"

Seolhyun giggled. "Please don't ever make a Mean Girls reference ever again.

"Yeah that was weird" Mateo chuckled. "Anyways, as I was saying, you totally cool. I don't care who you sleep with. You're like my homieual now."

"Oh my god, don't ever call me that" Seolhyun blushed.

"Gotcha. One last question though" Mateo smirked and Seolhyun knew he was up to no good.

"What is it?" Seolhyun replied.

"Who was the top and who was the bottom?" He asked

Yup this night was definitely too much.

The next morning Seolhyun woke up around 9AM and prepared for her 'date'. Although she told herself to not get too invested in this, she still made an effort to dress up nicely for Hyejeong. At around 9:50, she saw a red range rover parked outside with a beautiful Hyejeong standing next to her. Seolhyun walked out and greeted the older woman who was wearing a black leather jacket over a plain t-shirt, ripped jeans and converse. She looked hot.

"Good morning Hyejeong"

"Good morning baby"

"Still driving a range rover I see"

Hyejeong beamed at this. "So you remembered how we met?"

"How could I not?"

~~

"! No! Please, can you ing not do this right now?! You have got to be ing kidding me!" Hyejeong was cursing at her range rover as it died in the middle of the road. 

"I am so ed" she had ran out of gas and it didn't seem like anyone was gonna arrive to help her. She still had plenty of miles to cover before even getting close to the next gas station. Not to mention it was pretty late at night so she wasn't sure if she could even get someone to tow her car.

"Great! Just ing great! This is so swell. God me!" She cursed while slamming her head against the wheel.

Suddenly she saw a car drive up to her in the rear view mirror.

"Please don't let it be some crazy serial killer! Not today satan!" Hyejeong told herself before waving to the driver. The driver of the toyato stopped and Hyejeong felt her jaws physically drop. This girl was drop dead gorgeous.

'She could be a serial killer and I'd still follow her home' Hyejeong thought.

"Excuse me? Do you need help?" The girl asked.

"Huh? Oh uhm, yeah. My car ran out of gas and I have no way of returning to my hotel" Hyejeong shyly confessed.

"Oh that's unlucky. Do you want me to drive you to the nearest gas station?"

"That wouldn't be too much trouble would it?"

"Don't worry about it. I'm Seolhyun by the way, Kim Seolhyun" Seolhyun said as she reached out her hand to shake Hyejeong's.

"Shin Hyejeong"

The two met up the next few days and eventually they started dating. Everything was going well, until Hyejeong left without a warning.

~~

"So where are we going today? And your car isn't going to break down on us again is it?" Seolhyun joked.

"I haven't visited the Olympic National Park in 2 years. Y'all got way more nature here. I don't really get that in NYC. And nah I made sure to fill it all the way this time."

"Sure, whatever"

The two made there way to the car as Hyejeong began driving. Seolhyun saw the aux cord hook to Hyejeong's phone and decided to pick a playlist for some music since the drive would take a while. As soon as the playlist started, Hyejeong began singing. When they were dating two years ago, Hyejeong often sang to Seolhyun. The latter had actually forgotten how talented the lawyer was.

"And our eyes are crossing paths across the room. There's only one thing left for us to do. You can touch me with slow hands. Speed it up, baby, make me sweat. Dreamland, take me there 'cause I want your ."

Seolhyun could feel herself blushing as Hyejeong sang along.

"C-Could you not sing along to this song?"

"Aww why not? I love this song"

"I like it too, just... never mind" 

"If my body had a say, I wouldn't turn away. Touch, make love, taste you. If my body told the truth, baby I would do just want I want to

If Seolhyun wasn't already hot and bothered by the way Hyejeong was dressed, she definitely is after getting that personal 'concert'. She hated what an effect the taller woman still had on her even after all that happened. Seolhyun did a lot of thinking last night and she decided to truly forgive Hyejeong. When she finally admitted to herself that she was still in love with the woman sitting next to her, she thought "well duh and in other news, water is wet". Letting go all grudges, Seolhyun relaxed and sang along. Hyejeong was surprised, but also grateful to see Seolhyun making an effort to let her in once again. 

"My mind is getting in the way. Can't feel what my body say. I'mma show you anyway. I'mma show you anyway. There's only one thing left for us to do" Seolhyun sang.

Had Hyejeong not been driving, and still trying to win Seolhyun's full affections again, she would have kissed her.

The date ended pretty well. The two women enjoyed each other's company and before they knew it, it was nightfall and Hyejeong was already in Seolhyun's driveway.

"I had a great time Hyejeong. Thank you"

"No, thank you for giving me this opportunity"

The two stared at each other, both having the same thoughts but neither knew how to vocalize it.

"Would you like to stay over for the night?" Seolhyun shyly asked.

"I'd love to"

~~

Two weeks have passed and Seolhyun finally broke down her walls and allowed Hyejeong back into her life. However on the back of her mind she was still worried about Hyejeong leaving her again.

"Hyejeong"

​"Hm?" the older woman turned around to stare at her girlfriend. The two of them were sitting on Seolhyun's couch and currently watching a movie.

"You're here because of a business trip right?"

"Yeah?"

"So shouldn't you be returning to New York soon?" Seolhyun asked, clearly disappointed.

"Nope" Hyejeong grinned.

"What?"

"I'm not returning to New York"

"Don't you have work?"

"I quit last week"

A look of horror flashed on Seolhyun's face. While she loved Hyejeong, she doesn't think she can live with the guilt of making Hyejeong quit a job she loves.

"Hyejeong!! What the hell?! Please tell me you're joking! You can't quit your job!"

"I can and I did. Besides, I can always practice law here. I have built up my resume enough, I'm sure I can find a job here."

"You're ing insane. I'm sure you made way more in New York"

"That is true, but I prefer it here in Washington"

"And why is that?"

"One, it's less crowded. Two, there are more trees. Third and most importantly, Port Angeles has you. I can easily practice law in any state or country, but this place is the only place that has Kim Seolhyun."

Seolhyun blushed and hid her face in the crook of Hyejeong's neck while the latter hugged her tightly and kissed her forehead.

"I still think you're crazy."

"Crazy for you? Definitely" Hyejeong smiled and kissed Seolhyun on the lips, and Seolhyun happily kissed back. 

The End

I got really ing tired towards the end I'm sorry. And it's late as so I probably got a hundred typos. I'll fix them when I wake up. Thank you all for reading! Once again, I'm sorry. I really wish I could go back to writing consistently, but there's just been a lot of things going on. You're all amazing! Please point out any typos you see so I can quickly fix them :) Do y'all know the two songs that inspired me to write this?