Final

The Audition

A/N: Sorry guys I thought I had unhidden the chapter before!


The Audition

“Next.”

Awkwardly, my mouth manages to shape out, “Chiara.”

“Number 347.”

“Thanks,” shifting my guitar to my other shoulder, I move to the waiting room. 

 

I walk past the other participants to find a secluded spot to settle down, constantly keeping my head low.What am I doing here? This isn’t a place for an amateur like me. I never wanted to sign up for this audition. I never wanted to become a trainee, especially not for FT Island’s new sister group. Everyone else is too good! It’s all Dana’s fault. That one time she snuck around and overheard me playing. Now she thinks I’m this music genius. It’s not true! The members of FT Island are the true music geniuses. They are all young versions of Noel Gallagher with amazing vocals and they are also freaky smart, like Einstein smart! I can’t do that! I’m just me, Chiara! Chiara who’s failing math! I’m not good enough to be a part of this band. Especially not when Seung Hyun is going to be there! To put it straight, FT Island is the epitome of awesomeness. It’s sad to see that parents/adults don’t really take them seriously, not even their own. They all think that, “They’re just kids,” or “They’re going to lose their interest sooner or later,” but they’ve proven themselves multiple times. They even get requested to play at local cafés, live bars and weekend events. They write all of their songs and there is no one in our town that hasn’t heard of them or their songs.

 

“Number 344!”

Oh my! They are getting through this really fast! I didn’t think I’d be up so soon. This isn’t going to end well. FT Island are going to sit in on the auditions. I can see them just past the door. I take a sip of water to take my mind off things. There’s so much noise in this room. Everyone doing their own thing. Chatting amongst themselves. Getting in some last minute practise. I try to keep my distance and observe from a far. I guess I should run through the song too before I screw up severely in front of the most famous band in this school. As I play, my fingers keep missing and slipping. Argh, sweat seriously doesn’t help at a time like this

 

“Number 345!”

Ahh! Only a couple more and it’s my turn! Uhhh! I knew I shouldn’t have come. This is horrible. I’m not good enough for this. Why did I let her talk me into this? Everyone else is so much better than me! I’m going to become a laughing stock after this! What’s an awkward kid doing here? I shouldn’t have listened to her. I closed my eyes. I still clearly remember the first day I met Dana. I can still remember the fear I felt, standing in that circle of bullies and the quiet, new, American kid who held my hand and told me not to worry even though she could barely speak Korean herself. The one who chased away the bullies, my sadness. My loneliness. I smiled remembering all the times when she didn’t understand what the teacher had said and did the wrong homework then had to stay back and tidy up the music and drama rooms.

 

“Number 346!”

Uh oh. I better get ready. I take another gulp of water. I stand up and jump around. Stretch my fingers. With a trembling hand, I pull out my phone. Text message: Dana, “Good luck! You’re gonna kill it!” *Sigh* I turn it off and stuck it back in my pocket. I close my eyes and everything becomes peaceful for a second. Okay, let’s just get this over and done with. I pray that this goes well. 

 

“Number 347!”

Deep breaths Chiara. Breathe. Just do it like you practised. It will be fine. What’s the worst that could happen? Dana:Good luck!” 

I take a deep breath.

And I enter the room.

 

As I look around, I realised, not all the members are here. Seung Hyun isn’t here. At least you don’t have to worry about screwing up in front of him. 

They go through the usual routine of interrogation as I set myself up. What’s your name, which year are you in, why do you want to be a part of the new band, what song are you playing?

“Jump by FTIsland”

“Okay take it away.”

 

I start playing

Intro. Breathe.

First verse. I start singing.

Chorus. You’re going good Cath. 

Second verse.

Double chorus. Keep the tempo. Don’t speed up.

Bridge. *Hooo* Let’s take this up a notch. Playing up an octave, singing harmonies, changing to a different key and re-playing the intro I look up to see interesting expressions. A mix of confusion and enjoyment at the same time.

I hadn’t realised but my face had already broken into a shy grin.

Looking back to my left hand, I play harder.

One more octave.

*SIZZLE* 

*BANG!*

*POP!*

The whole room plunged into darkness, along with all my hopes of not embarrassing myself. 

I freeze in place wishing, madly, that I was not the cause of this. 

 

Outside, a loud booming voice confirmed everyone’s suspicion. “Ahem.” He cleared his throat to draw attention. “There has been a power outage,” this was met with groans from the participants which he ignored, “and since most of your auditions require some form of electrical current, I’m afraid we’re gonna have to call them off until further notice.” That gained an even larger mob of groaners. “So, I say on behalf of the crew and band members that you all ORDERLY make your way back to class and auditions will resume as soon as possible. We are sorry for the inconvenience.” There was a lot of shouting and name calling

Well. 

That’s over.

I guess I should just leave as well. What else could I do?

Solemnly, I unplug my guitar, thank the judges and members, plodded out to grab my stuff and leave. 

As soon as I stepped out the door, I was engulfed in a crowd of unfamiliar faces vocalising their rage. 

“This is all your fault!”

“You planned this didn’t you?!”

“You just wanted to stop everyone else from auditioning so you could get the spot!”

“You just want to gain all their attention!” 

“You’re so despicable!”

Shocked, I took a step back. It was overwhelming. I’ve never been the centre of attention. Especially not with a group of angry teens with raging hormones and the instinct to place the blame on the first target they see. The crowd was growing by the second.

I couldn’t move. 

They shoved me left, right and centre, demanding answers.

I couldn’t keep my head up. 

I couldn’t see anything other than their enraged faces.

I couldn’t say anything.

I wish they would all go away.

They must’ve took my silence as admittance to causing the blackout.

It felt severly claustrophobic.

Their attacks kept coming stronger.

I could feel my heart beating faster and faster.

My breaths coming short and uneven. 

Their faces started dancing.

Where were the teachers when you needed them?

There were so many voices.

So many.

Too many.

In the distance, there were faint sounds of cymbals crashing.

I couldn’t hold on anymore.

My breath was knocked out of me. My vision deserted me. I couldn’t hold on.

I fell to the ground.

I shouldn’t have come.

I lost.

All this for a stupid audition.

 


Thank you for reading!!! Much appreciated :)