Beauty is only skin-deep

Beauty is only skin-deep

Whoever thought that it was a good idea to assign Namjoon and Jin to play Futsal at ISAC, was obviously unaware why that was an extremely bad idea, thought Namjoon with a sigh.

Other than the fact that he was well known as “The God of Destruction” among s and fans, causing damage not only to others, but himself as well, he was also really bad at football.

He couldn’t remember the last time he had played it, although he does vaguely remember why he stopped playing it.

It might have to do with the fact that the last time he was on the field, he had been too enthusiastic to score a goal that he rushed towards the ball, missing it completely, and knocking out his fellow member with a kick in the face.

Yeah.

Happy memories, he thought with a shudder, remembering the cries of his poor teammate, who never wanted to speak to him again, and even begged young Namjoon to stay away from him.

Surprisingly, Namjoon did not hurt himself this time, or others for that matter, a fact he was very proud of.

He had even managed to block the ball when he played in the first half, and Roh Ji Hoon even complimented him for it.

He should have been smug about it, but his attention was now on his band member who was currently playing on the field in the second half.

Now, it’s not that Jin Hyung was as destructive as Namjoon, but the thing was that he was clumsy and overall not really an athletic type.

Every time the ball would go near Jin, he would start running, but the thing was that nobody was sure if he was running towards the ball, or away from it.

The players from the opposing team played really aggressively, and every time one of them would start dashing towards his Hyung, Namjoon would start running his hand through his hair in frustration.

He had been so focused on Jin’s every move that he had no time to scream out, and warn him, before it had happened.

It all went down so fast.

In one moment, Jin was running and kicking the ball in front of him, in the next, he was holding his nose, which was bleeding heavily, causing Namjoon to jump out of the bench in shock.

His mind went blank as he watched the staff rushing to him and escorting him from the field.

He finally forced his legs to move, and he ran over to his Hyung, who was covering his nose, the blood still oozing from it, as he waved to the fans, so that they wouldn’t worry.

Namjoon was by his side in an instant, patting his back and when he turned around, he saw the staff cleaning the field, because there was so much blood.

He shivered at the sight, thinking in how much pain his Hyung must be.

Even though he knew that it wasn’t on purpose, but he still cursed in his head ZE:A’s Dong Jun who had elbowed Jin in the face.

Sheesh, some people really took sport too seriously.

The staff asked him to wait outside the dressing room where they had been treating Jin’s injury.

He was pacing up and down, feeling more restless as the minutes passed.

Finally, he was allowed to go in.

Jin was standing with his back turned to him, checking his reflection in the mirror.

“ Hyung…”

Namjoon said gently, causing Jin to turn around abruptly, his eyes widening in shock as he quickly covered his nose, and squeaked out in a panicked voice.

“ Namjoon?! What are you doing here? Please get out, I don’t want you to see me like this…”

Namjoon was slightly taken aback by Jin’s reaction.

They were always close, and the fact that Jin was pushing him away now when he was hurt, kind of bothered Namjoon, so he took a step forward and said in a confused voice.

“ Hyung, what are you talking about? I have seen you in worse conditions than that, for example I have seen your bare-face.”

Namjoon joked to relieve the tension, but realized it was not the right thing to say when he got a deadly glare from his Hyung, who was still covering his nose.

He forgot how narcissistic Jin was sometimes, so he quickly said.

“ Come on, it can’t be that bad. And besides, it’s just me.”

His heart almost broke when he saw the sad look in Jin’s eyes as he lowered his head, and said in a quiet voice.

“ But, I am ugly now…”

Namjoon couldn’t believe those words came out of Jin’s mouth.

In all these years he had known Jin, he had never heard him call himself ugly.

Even on those days where they barely had 2 hours of sleep, and had to get ready for various schedules, with make-up noonas complaining about how much makeup they had to use to cover up their dark circles, Jin was the only one among the 7 of them who kept saying how his handsomness was staining his life.

Of course, they were all used to his narcissistic persona, and just rolled their eyes and , but now, hearing Jin sound so dejected and call himself ugly, just meant how low he felt, and that bothered Namjoon.

He took another step closer, until he was standing right in front of Jin who still had his head lowered, and wouldn’t meet his eye.

“ Jin…”

he said gently, and heard Jin mumbling something incoherently, so he tried again.

“ Jin, look at me…”

“ No…”

came an answer in a meek voice and he felt someone tug at his heart.

He sighed and wrapped his hands around Jin’s wrists, making him look up without covering his nose.

His warm brown eyes were slightly puffy and red ( he must have been crying), and his nose was a bit red and swollen, nothing too bad really, but Jin looked so vulnerable at that moment that all Namjoon wanted to do was-wrap him up in a blanket, and hide him from the world.

“ Hyung, listen to me. You are not ugly, and you never will be. And in a few days, you will look just the same. So stop worrying about it.”

Namjoon said softly, but Jin just stared at him.

“ You just don’t get it…”

Jin almost whispered, looking away, and now Namjoon was really confused.

“ I don’t understand?”

Namjoon asked tentatively.

Jin sighed and looked at him, with a painful expression which Namjoon had never seen before on his Hyung.

“ That’s just it, Namjoon. You don’t understand. I am supposed to be the visual. I am supposed to be perfect at all times. I know that among the vocal line, the fans think I am the most lacking, and also you and me are the black holes when it comes to dancing. But, you are an amazing rapper, while I have nothing I excel in. Even the position of the “visual” is not mine since many fans keep saying how Tae and Kookie are much better looking than me. So, I have to make sure to look perfect at any moment, so as to at least not lose my position in the visual line.”

Jin finished in a bitter voice, his chest heaving up and down, as he tried to calm himself.

Namjoon was still holding his wrists, and he was at a loss for words at his Hyung’s outburst.

He had no idea that Jin felt like that, and he was getting pissed off, so he spoke in a voice much more serious than he intended to.

“ You are an idiot.”

Jin’s mouth was wide open, and he stared at Namjoon with disbelief.

“ W-what?”

he barely stuttered out, but Namjoon was not backing down, continuing in a rough voice.

“ You heard me. How can you, even for one second think something like that? Yeah, it’s true that the official position you were given was as a visual, but come on, after all this time, you can’t seriously think so low of yourself? Not when you are so amazing. I have never met anyone like you. You are the oldest, and yet you don’t mind being childish, so that you would get along with the kids. You cook for us all the time, no matter how tired you are, because you want us to at least eat properly, and preserve our health. When me and Yoongi Hyung end up in the studio for hours, too absorbed in our work, you are the only one who dares come there and drag us home, so that we would get at least a few hours of sleep. And no matter how much we protest at that moment, deep down, we are grateful for your care. And in Bangtan nobody dances badly, Hyung, no matter how much we get teased about it. And considering your voice, I think it’s unique and that it gives our songs that special something. And it makes me angry that you would belittle yourself like that when you know how much your fans love you, not just for your looks, but also, because of your adorable, dorky personality. And if you ask me, not that my opinion matters much, but for me, among the 7 of us, you are the one who is the real visual. That’s all I wanted to say.”

When he finished all he had to say, he realized that he might have been too harsh on Jin.

.

He saw Jin’s wide eyes, staring at him, and oh no, are those TEARS?

“ Oh God, Jin, I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry and I…”

Namjoon started flailing his arms, feeling extremely bad until he was cut off by Jin practically throwing himself onto him.

He was practically in a bear-hug with Jin wrapping his arms around him tightly, practically squeezing the air out of his lungs, and he squeaked out.

“ J-jin?!”

“ Thanks, Joonie. I really needed that.”

was whispered in his ear by that warm, melodic voice, before he felt something soft pressing on his cheek just for an instant, with Jin pulling away, staring at him fondly, and Namjoon just hoped that he wasn’t blushing like an idiot although he felt his cheeks burning up.

He just smiled warmly and said.

“ Anytime. And remember Hyung, beauty is only skin-deep.”

 

The day after the incident at ISAC, Jin felt much better.

The swelling on his nose was already less visible, and also after the conversation he had with Namjoon, he was in a really good mood.

He had even uploaded a selca yesterday, to assure his fans that he was okay, and it warmed his heart when he saw his fans leaving sweet messages on Twitter, wishing him to get well soon.

None of them mentioned anything about him looking ugly, and he was relieved.

Namjoon was right, his fans loved him for other things as well, and not just because of his pretty face.

He was currently going towards the kitchen to prepare the dinner for the kids, and when he looked up from the counter he saw Namjoon sitting on the sofa and talking about something with Hobi.

As if the younger had sensed someone’s gaze on him, he turned around and his dark brown eyes met Jin’s.

His lips immediately stretched into the most adorable dimpled smile, making Jin’s heart skip a beat.

Namjoon had turned to Hobi after that, continuing their talk, while Jin’s mind was blank.

Why in the world did his heart skip a beat when Namjoon smiled at him?

He had seen the younger’s smile so many times before, and it had never affected him like this.

“And if you ask me, not that my opinion matters much, but for me, among the 7 of us, you are the one who is the real visual.”

Namjoon’s words from yesterday echoed in his head, making him blush slightly.

At that moment, a hearty laugh roared their living room, and he saw Namjoon laughing at something Hobi said, his eyes disappearing as he was flashing his pearly teeth, making Jin feel all weird and fuzzy inside.

.

Namjoon was right, beauty is only skin-deep.

But, what happens when you realize how beautiful one of your members is, on the outside as well as on the inside?

And what happens when you start seeing him in another light?