Lifetimes of choices -2i

Lifetimes of Choices

<Luckily, I am able to control these following decisions: to take the packets of sugar in front of Seungyoon...>

“Pardon me for interrupting, but could you pass me that brown sugar, please?”

“Oh, of course. Here you go.”

“Thanks a lot. Do you work in Lotte by any chance? I deduce that from your outfit alone by the way, nothing rocket science or borderline creepy.”

“Why, indeed – as you can see from the gigantic Lotte logo on the back of the shirt, and a smaller version on the front. And if that’s not enough, you can see another in this nametag. This is the more subtle outfit, by the way. We had more aggressive ones with an apron and a bandana.”

“Glad I didn’t have to live through that,” side-note: I did, “I was just wondering whether the Christmas discount is still taking place.”

“It’s still in place, which is why the vicious shoppers – with no offense to you, sir – are still aplenty. It’s really the most tiring time of the year.”

“Great, then, thanks, Mister…”

“Seungyoon,” he said as he brought his nametag closer for my inspection, “of fourth floor, toys and gadgets.”

--

Our mornings are loud. It usually involves Yuri asking for matching lunchboxes, Hiro busy watching his favorite Thomas & Friends episode, Seungyoon’s endless stream of advice and reminder of how to behave at school, and my inexperienced and ineffective cooking. It will be a startling difference an hour later when the kids are in school and Seungyoon and I take a break for fifteen minutes before resuming to our works.

“Next week is Parents-Teacher Conference. I was thinking to split up – I can go to Yuri’s and you can go to Hiro’s,” Seungyoon said. The tea he just poured gave off a very nice jasmine fragrance. When people say the smell of jasmine can help you relax, I can attest to that.

“I’m good with any. Just tell me later which one I need to go to – although if you give me the freedom to choose, I’d rather go with Yuri’s class. I once went to Hiro’s and the parents were just these young housewives and they won’t stop talking about their diamonds and new handbag collections! It was the most excruciating forty-five minutes of my life.”

Hiro is our younger one. He just turned six this month, making him in Kindergarten B. The conference is actually milder as there will be no discussion on how their academic achievement progresses and onlu the emotional development, but I have to bear with the young housewives who think that a minute of silence is an unatonable sin.

“Okay then, you can go to Yuri’s. I’ll brief you on her latest progress. Shouldn’t you be going to office now?”

“Can I just skip the day off and watch you man the shop and cuddle with you on lunch breaks and nap with you?” I know that my pouty lips can do magic at certain times.

“If I were your boss, I would grant you that and more. But sadly I’m not and your actual boss is going to be mad at you if you don’t head to the office now. Go!” Seungyoon pushed me to the door, gave me a kiss on the cheek (it’s our morning ritual) and waved his hands. Los Angeles morning commute could be unforgiving sometimes, especially if your commute involves going from the busy district of Koreatown to the city center as the bus will be jam-packed.

We moved here a little over ten years ago, when we decided to settle down and get married and do all the boring stuffs married couples do. Our decision to move to Los Angeles wasn’t an easy task – it started as a date night joke thirteen years ago, got heavily scrutinized and discussed for three years, and materialized ten years ago. We decided to move because no matter how much we love the weather, the people, and (obviously) the food in Korea, we love each other more and the community around us wasn’t forgiving to two men living together and starting a small family of their own. Seungyoon had to cut ties with his parents as they highly disapprove us doing such. It was painful and the road was full of tears, but looking at how strong and beautiful Yuri grew up to be like and how Hiro’s innocence and curiosity fuel his days, they were all worth it.

The commute that day wasn’t too bad and work was just so-so. I’m living a nine-to-five as a forensic accountant (a.k.a. the cool part of accounting) in a mid-sized accounting firm. The work hours can be strenuous at the end of every quarter and at the end of the financial year, but at least I’m no longer at the bottom of the food chain after getting promoted to a supervisory role two years ago.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have basketball games with my colleagues where afterwards I’d buy Hiro’s favorite fishcakes and inari sushi in the stall nearby. On Wednesdays and Fridays, after finishing work, I go and pick Yuri up from her music classes and we would cheat Pap Seungyoon’s rule of no ice cream on weekdays by going to Nero’s. On weekends, we take care of our plants and go to museums. On Mondays, the longest and most boring day of the week, Pop Mino needs an energy boost and thus the night is reserved for Pop and Pap’s date night.

“I’m home!”

“Poppa! You’re a bit late today!” Hiro ran to my direction and hugged my thighs – he’s still a cute, petite little boy.

“Wow, Hiro. Have you gone taller and heavier?” I swear lifting him up with one arm wasn’t so much of an exercise before.

“Of course! We ate mashed potatoes at school and Diana said at school that mashed potatoes are made partially from milk, and milk makes you tall. Potato makes you energized because they give you energy. We also ate fish and fish makes you smart! What did you eat for lunch, Pop?”

“I also ate potatoes! The fried one, however. You’re healthier than me!”

“Of course! I also watched Thomas and Friends today!”

“You seem like you have an excellent day, Hiro. Now, give me a kiss. I have to give this to Pap first and let’s play after, okay?” I brought him to the TV room and he nicely sat next to Yuri who’s watching a National Geographic Kids feature on migrations.

“Happy date night!” We decided earlier today that it was not an ideal time for a dine-out, so we’re dining in for our date night. Kissing Seungyoon’s cheeks are akin to kissing a mochi or steamed buns – they’re smooth, bouncy, and feel nice. While kissing those fluffy cheeks, I handed over his usual vanilla latte. To my surprise, he didn’t enthusiastically grab the cup – instead, he just stayed frozen solid in his seat.

“Seungyoon? Is everything alright?”

“Oh, hey! No, of course, everything is alright. Sorry, I just spaced out just now. Thanks a lot Poppa for the latte. You know me best. Let me make you your hot chocolate.” He moved to the kitchenette and started mixing the chocolate powder.

“Did something happen at work?” munching the apple laid down on the tabletop, I followed him to the kitchenette.

“No, nothing. I was just spacing out. It’s already 8 PM anyways, and you know how easily I fall asleep.”

“If you say so.”

Returning to the tabletop, I noticed Seungyoon’s phone was unlocked, showing his home screen which is a selfie of the four of us at the park nearby. We were wearing matching t-shirts. Knowing how lazy of a man he is, it didn’t come as a surprise for me for him to not even bother to lock his phone-

“Here’s your chocolate! Complete with some biscuits.”

“Seungyoon, who was this?”

“Hm? What are you talking about?”

“This +82 number in your call log. Who was this?”

“Why did you open my phone?” He abruptly took his phone away from my hand.

“It was there, unlocked, open. Who was this?”

“Nothing, and let’s not discuss about this again. I’m going to watch TV with the kids.”

When we moved here, there were just a very limited amount of friends we still keep in contact with: Nam Taehyun – Seungyoon’s bandmate from high school; Kim Jinwoo, his university flatmate; my best friends Jihoon and Hyuntae; my family, and that’s it. There were unpleasant rumors about us moving to the States and vile comments from people around us, so we decided that it’s best for our emotional state to start a clean sheet and forget whatever we had in Korea. These people we are still connected to are saved in our mobile phones’ contact – which makes this unknown number so questionable.

When I arrived at the TV room, my plan to ask questions to Seungyoon immediately got canceled for what’s in front of me was a lovely view of Seungyoon explaining to Yuri and Hiro about the migration of whales and wildebeest, complete with an uncanny imitation of their sounds. Seungyoon is as lovely as you can expect – not only that he’s very attentive, but the sheer amount of time and effort he would gladly give to please and care for you is just unbelievable. Just one percent of what Seungyoon gives to the people he loves is enough compassion and love to last a lifetime. I am a lucky man.

There was a commotion outside, so I went to check what was happening. It was a moving truck, with the movers ready to move out the boxes and sofas and TVs from the truck. The lovely Wilkinson family moved to Houston as Cedric got a new job offer in the booming shale oil industry. Yuri and Hiro were very sad to see them leave, especially since Hannah has an extensive collection of Barbie dolls and Amelia has a lot of science books that Hiro loved to read.
Our new neighbor just parked his car in front of the truck and got out from the car. Holy , it’s-

“JUNMYEON!”

The new neighbor – Kim Junmyeon, my best friend, my comrade, my loyal companion – and the girl that stood next to him got shocked at the sudden shouting and turned their direction to me.

“Mino? Oh wow! What are the chances of us being neighbors! Long time no see, man!” Junmyeon ran towards me and we shared a laugh, followed by a quick hug.

“To be exact thirty eight years,” I whispered to him, “as I came to your funeral the last time. The eulogy Sehun wrote you was highly moving. He was very heartbroken, I’m very sorry for that. I thought you should know.”

“Ah, is that so? That’s lovely. I haven’t met him in this life.”

Junmyeon is a Recaller, just like me. We would meet in every lifetime – and thus he’s one of my best friends. He’s truly a sunshine: the assurance of him being somewhere in this life calmed me, and when you meet him, you get a jolt of positivity from his optimism. Except for the times that he decided to be an . Which is quite frequent.

“So how are you? Just moved here? What do you do? How old are you?”

“I’m doing fine! Turning thirty this year. I just moved from San Francisco! I used to work in Silicon Valley for a tech startup, but I decided to quit and start a new company of my own. I find Silicon Valley a bit too saturated as startups literally pop up every two days or so there. So I moved here! Living cost isn’t too bad in Koreatown, and market is huge in LA. So here I am! What about you?”

Oh, and one more thing: you don’t get to win from Junmyeon a lot in terms of successes. I’ve accepted it.

“I’m a forensic accountant. Happily married with two beautiful kids. Husband runs a Korean grocery store down the block – which, by the way, you should buy all your stuffs in. Moved here from Seoul to enjoy a peaceful life with him about ten years ago. I could use a pay raise, but I’m doing fine!”

“Ah, you and your love life. Lucky man, you are.”

“I’m almost forty and I can see that you’re definitely far better off than me. Who are we kidding here?”

“Money can only get you so much. Love – that’s a different thing altogether. Love opens infinite opportunities. You’re the richer man here.”
It rings some truth in it – with Seungyoon I feel like I could do anything. He’s my source of power and my home.

“Junmyeon? I think the movers need your help.” The girl that was standing next to Junmyeon earlier came to us. She had beautiful green eyes and brunette hair.

“Ah, yes. Shannon, meet Mino, my childhood friend. Mino, this is Shannon, my girlfriend. Who knows we’ll end up being neighbors, huh?”

“Nice to meet you, Shannon. Welcome to the neighborhood! It’s lovely, here. You’ll like it.”

“Catch you later, Mino!” and with that Junmyeon and Shannon walked to their new home.

Returning to my home, I saw that Seungyoon had taken the kids to their rooms as the TV room is now empty and the whole first floor quiet. I walked to my room and with the quietness of the floor, the whole unknown number business came back into mind and I went restless.

Ten minutes later, Seungyoon entered our room. “The kids are asleep. They were very fascinated by the whole migration thing. Perhaps we can take them to the Natural History Museum again this weekend.”

“Of course. You know best.”

He looked tired and weary – it saddens me so to see him like that. He always takes pride in his positivity and seeing him like this is like seeing an entirely different person.

I sat on my side of the bed, finishing the book Freakonomics for the umpteenth time. Seungyoon changed to his pajama and joined me, reading his novels. We got swallowed in silence before he broke it by saying,

“It was my Dad.”

“The unknown number?”

“Yes.”

“What did he say?” at this point I’ve closed my book and turned my face to him. This is something I need to be fully concentrating on and I need to be the bigger man Seungyoon can rely on.

“Nothing much. He just said that we haven’t met for so long and he wanted to see me. My mom also said the same thing on the call.”

“Oh. I see. How did you respond?”

“Mumbles… I don’t know it was blurry.”

“Come here.” I hugged him tightly and patted his back to calm him down. “It’s all going to be fine. No need to worry-”

Breaking our embrace, he suddenly responded, “you don’t know whether it will be fine. Your parents call you regularly, your sister chats with you on a daily basis. Your parents didn’t disown you when you came out to them. You don’t know.”

It’s true. I don’t. Tears started to roll down his cheeks and it truly broke my heart. I wish I could say otherwise.

“It’s true. I don’t know and I probably would never know.” I put my hands on his shoulder, directly gazing at his eyes. “But you must know, whatever it is, whatever you do and whatever you feel, I will always be next to you, supporting your every decision. I am here for you.”

He looked down, the tears dropped to our bed sheet.

“I’ve always wanted to tell my mom how smart Yuri has become. How adorable Hiro is. How Mrs. Choi who lives next door always cooks her stew with sweet soy sauce instead of gochujang. I’ve always wanted to tell her so much, but I couldn’t. I wanted to tell my dad how you got promoted and how comfortable our house is, but I couldn’t. They don’t know anything about me – all they know is Kang Seungyoon from ten years ago.”

“Seungyoon, I-”

“Am I even still their son? Calling them mom and dad even sounds strange to my ears.”

I choose to stay silent for I know my words won’t reach him and would rather calm him down with light touches on his face and hands.

“A lot has happened in ten years. They didn’t even bother calling when my grandmother passed away, only knowing it months later when someone here in Koreatown knew my cousin and told me. I don’t know what could have triggered them.”

We shared two minutes of uncomfortable silences.

“It pained me to hear their voice, you know? At first I was shocked and angered, but do you know what disappointed me the most? The fact that I actually miss them. That I actually want to be in my mother’s embrace. That I actually want to share a laugh and a can of beer with my father. I hate how I miss them.”

“Seungyoon, firstly I’m very, very sorry. You’re right, I don’t know how it feels to be you and I don’t know your pain. However, please remember that your pain is my pain, too. It pains me how I am not able to share your pain. It pains me how you have to go under such things. I’m sorry that I couldn’t do anything.”

He directed his gaze towards me.

“Seungyoon, I’ve said this before and I will say it again now, tomorrow, and the days after: whatever you do, I will always be by your side and support you. We’ve been through so much together, and I’m certain we will pass this and whatever the future has for us.”

He gave a faint smile – see my point on how he always takes the extra miles to smile and make you happy?

“Mino, I’m sorry that you have to be dragged to all this. I hope you don’t regret this life full of patches with me.”

“Kang Seungyoon, never have I, and never will I regret sharing my life with you. And you don’t have to apologize. I love you for who you are, for whatever excess baggage you bring with you, for whatever problems you have and you might have in the future. I don’t handpick the qualities that I love from you – I love you whole.”

We looked at each other’s eyes for what seems like an eternity, before moving to a heartwarming hug. That hug, that moment, Seungyoon and I shouted to the world: come whatever may, for we are ready to face you with valor, together.

---
--
-


I’ve always hated the administrative work of copying, printing, and binding official documents. It’s a painstakingly inefficient job with little chance of breakthrough innovation as you have to wait for the 500-page document to get printed before you can do anything about it. These middle-aged politicians are too lazy to learn how to productively use an iPad aside from playing Cut the Rope and Angry Birds (for crying out loud, this is 2016) during Assembly sessions.

“Hey, Song Mino. Congressman Kang sent this for you,” Vernon said. I pity the guy for being too cute – the National Assembly is a place with no mercy if you’re a cute intern. The work will keep coming in because these politicians remember you, but you’re too cute to be taken seriously. Eventually the kind of works you will receive are a) making coffees; b) passing memos to people; c) welcoming and keeping the wives and kids entertained as the dads still have some work to do. Cute guys like him would never get to edit, moreover draft, a bill.

“Thanks, Vernon. How many copies does he need?”

“Just one, I think. He needs it before the Socha meeting this afternoon, so I think you have to make it a priority. Now if you can excuse me I have five coffees to deliver. Lunch together, later?” You have to give this guy an award for his ability to balance five coffees, two copies of the draft bills and a memo, all while dashing swiftly and still maintaining a positive outlook of his career.

Unlike Vernon, I’m not an intern to the floor and shared by fifty congressmen. I am attached and report to one congressman, giving me more exposure to the actual policy-making – and actual politics – behind the many copying jobs. Congressman Kang, my boss, is a young representative from Daegu and is affiliated to the government party, the Socha. He is a man with ambitions. Beside the occasional printing and binding, I also aid him with crafting negotiation briefings. Once I do my job well enough, I will be appointed permanent staff and my own political journey would begin.

Beep beep. A text message arrived:

                Meet at usual place 9 pm. Room # is first meeting.

Here we go.

--

The elevator chimed “eleventh floor” and I stepped out, looking for room #1112 – December eleventh. He would often change the date: my birthday, his birthday, our first meeting date, the birthday of the president, the premiere date of a movie, et cetera. Once I almost knocked and entered the wrong room because I wasn’t sure what date the group Winner’s anniversary is (Google provided three different dates, I was so confused).

I knocked the door three times each with an interval of one second as per our agreement and waited. I heard footsteps closing in and about five seconds later, the door opened and Congressman Lee stood uprightly on the center.

“Hi. Come in.”

“Hi, good evening, congressman.”

“Scotch? Bourbon? Beer?” he said, striding across the room. This boutique hotel only offers one type of room which is as big as other hotel’s suite – explaining why the Congressman chose this specific hotel for our rendezvous. He doesn’t have to worry about landing in a mediocre deluxe room, he will always be served in a spacious room with a minibar that isn’t just some packs of sad salted peanuts and diet cokes, but an actual bar with an array of alcoholic drinks.
“I can do a glass of bourbon, sir. How about you? I’ll have it ready. Please, just sit down.”

“Scotch, please. Thank you, Mino.”

In the business of politics, one judges the book by its cover. Appearance matters. This is among the first lessons the Congressman has taught me. Dress to impress, dress to success, he said. At 35 years young, his good looks and poise charmed younger voters, identifying with him more than with the commonly middle-aged congressmen. It’s not only how he looks, but also how he brings about himself. He speaks very eloquently with a dignified articulation. They are not over the top, nor are they superficial and forced. Truly a man fit for the job of persuasion, negotiation, and sometimes, deception.

“Thank you.  Now, sit here and let’s talk. How have you been, Mino?”

“I’m good, sir, thank you for asking. Still a lot of room for learning. Congressman Kang has been quite occupied lately with drafting the sanitation bill, and as always, I’m providing him support.”

“I see. What kind of support are you providing him?” I can sense a hint of suggestiveness in that last rhetorical question.

“Sir, as you know, it is nothing like the support I’ve provided for you the past four months,” I shyly sipped my bourbon and smirked. I know he’s weakest to my smirk.

In sudden movements, he brought himself closer to my direction, our face just centimeters apart, his breaths reek of scotch, and his gaze piercing my shy eyes. I can hear his steady and calm breaths.

“Now, now, you wouldn’t want to provide such support to other men, would you?”

No matter how hard I try to keep my composure, my pulse just went erratic and my breathing fast. His right arm, covered in sleek, black Armani suit, firmly gripping the cream-colored sofa and his long legs crossed. His face kept closing into mine, and as the tip of our noses nearly brushed, he slowly tilted his head and slightly parted his lips. I started closing my eyes when he abruptly stood up.

“Well, a meal is never satisfying without a plate of appetizer before the mains. Now, tell me, Mino, is Kang Seungyoon running for Speakership?” he said as he opened his blazer and placed it in the other sofa. He restlessly walked across the room, rolling his sleeves and putting his hand inside his pockets. He’s a manipulative jerk like this sometimes, ing his own moves.

“Yes, sir, he’s aiming for the Speakership in the Assembly. He has advanced his talks with a lot of committee leaders in the Socha party, and he’s scheduled to meet the smaller Liberal party and independent congressmen. With your Maega party, however, I’m not so sure what his plans are, sir.”

Although I’ve been with the Congressman for well over four months, I am still keeping my honorifics – at his request. Such honorifics create a power play between us, asserting his dominance and ensuring my obedience.

“Interesting. Do you think he’ll succeed?”

“Truthfully sir, I think he will. With all due respect to your party, the Socha party is the majority, if the party agrees to vote for him, he will secure the Speaker position. Plus, his political capital is strengthening with the progress of the sanitation bill he’s leading.”

“Well that’s bad news for me, isn’t it?”

“Yes, sir, I believe so.”

“Then I have to ensure he’s not receiving those votes to be a Speaker myself, don’t I?”

“Yes, sir, that is correct.”

“Now, I would need support for that. Your support. Can I count you on that?”

“Sir, as I’ve demonstrated the past four months, you certainly can, without a shadow of a doubt.”

“Attaboy.”

He strode across the room and sat down on the armchair of the sofa adjacent to mine. Crossing his legs and resting his left arm on his thighs he said, “Now, shall we move to mains?”

--

“Mino, I can’t stress enough the importance of this meeting. If he can state his public support to the bill, we will have more leverage in pressing other people in the Assembly to vote in favor for the bill. Timing is crucial. I need that support. Do whatever you can to persuade his team.”

“Yes, Congressman Kang. I have been in contact with his team. They seem to have no objection so far. I can assure you this meeting will run smoothly.” How could it not, when the person we’re meeting is Kim Junmyeon, a loyal friend over a hundred lifetimes. Junmyeon seems to be winning in this lifetime again, as he is now the CEO of the second biggest water utilities company in South Korea. In the lifetime before, that startup company of his was highly successful, too. How unfair.

“It better be. It’s only two months away to Speakership voting. Take any measure necessary, even if it has to cost us some under the table deals.”

“Yes, sir. I will.”

We arrived at the glass skyscraper, and were escorted to the top floor where Junmyeon and his staffs were already waiting in the boardroom.

“Congressman! Welcome! We finally meet again after, how long was it? Six months? Always nice to see you. Please, have a seat,” Junmyeon warmly greeted us in his grey suit and still a perfect smile.

“CEO Kim, it’s always my pleasure. This is my team, Song Mino, Shin Jiwon, and Ha Minkyung. They will assist your team if they require any clarifications or questions.” Congressman Kang ordered us to sit near Junmyeon’s team, in case he and Junmyeon need to have a private session. We all shook hands, and when it’s my turn to shook Junmyeon’s, I flashed a large smile and shook his hand quite more strongly than the others’.

The meeting introduction and formalities went for about ten minutes, and afterwards the Congressman and Junmyeon went into separate room. Faced with his team of three, we explored their thoughts and refuted their concerns. It all seemed to be working out fine. Their company would benefit from our sanitation bill as it requires expansion and upgrades of current water treatment facilities resulting in more investment and higher profit for their side. Their only request is for the bill to allow direct appointment of the contractor – in practice, this means that they are implying that they would want to be appointed by the government, enabling them to outcompete their main rival and rise to be Korea’s biggest water company. Not necessarily a clean deal, but what is politics without some under the table agreements.

Forty five minutes later, the Congressman and Junmyeon came back to the boardroom and we wrapped up with another ten minutes of formalities and conclusions. We all laughed and smiled (such a fake façade, I know) like all is well.

“CEO Kim, I must say this meeting has been very fruitful and I believe with your support, this sanitation bill will be successful. Together, we will bring a better future for the people of South Korea. No longer will they live with disparity in public sanitation across regions – and it will be all thanks to you and your continuous effort to improve the country. The country owes a great deal for your commitments.”

“Congressman, when you have the calling for public service, there is no such thing as owing me a great deal. It is all under the spirit for a better country. Thank you for making the time to come.”

All of us proceeded to another round of hand-shaking and thank yous. As I approached Junmyeon for goodbye greetings, I lowered my voice and hushed to him, “hey, Junmyeon. A CEO, huh? Not bad at all. You seem to be winning in lives!”

“Excuse me?” he gave a puzzled look and raised his eyebrows.

“Come on, drop the rigidity. It’s me, Mino!” I laughed while lightly tapping his arm.

“Excuse me, Mister Song, but I believe I had never met you before – and this is getting a bit uncomfortable,” his puzzled look turned into annoyance and he withdrew his hands from mine.

“How can you forget, man! We fought in the Korean War? Shared a room in the American boarding school? Climbed the Kilimanjaro?” if he’s pulling a prank on me, it’s not funny because by this time I can see some gazes from my team and I think, Congressman Kang is looking at us bewilderedly.

“Mister Song, it’s CEO Kim for you – and I certainly don’t recall any of those things with you as I believe you mistook me for someone else. Now if you can excuse me, I have calls to attend to.” He spoke with such coldness in his last sentences that I am starting to believe he really doesn’t recognize me.

“Mino! Come, quick!” Congressman Kang firmly called me from the other end of the table, his voice stern.

Fazed by my bizarre encounter with Junmyeon – or, CEO Kim for now – my mind went blank as we rode the elevator and waited for the car to pick us up. Kim and I have gone through so much together. Even though we were not the best of friends in some lives, but knowing that he’s somewhere in this world, feeling the same experience as I, calmed me.

“What on earth were you thinking earlier? It was a good meeting until you decided to pull that stupid at the end of the meeting. Did you forget how I said this is the single most important meeting before the voting on the bill and voting on the Speakership? I simply cannot tolerate your hullabaloo!” served me right, Congressman Kang shouted at me inside the car ride back to the Assembly.

“Yes, sir, I am truly sorry-”

“And how do you think truly sorry sir would help me secure the support? If tomorrow in his live TV interview he didn’t state his support for the bill, you know who’s at fault and you know whose political career ends.”

“Yes, sir. I understand.”

--

I thought my heart is going to burst while I impatiently wait for the TV interview to be broadcasted.  I decided to sleep my worries in, with hope they will be gone the day after. It didn’t. I am still at loss how Kim didn’t recognize me – I know his gazes, and yesterday’s was his honest one. This leads to the question: what if one day, you suddenly lost the ability to recall your past lives? What if, one day, you forget?

To my content, Kim publicly stated his support for the sanitation bill and spoke greatly about how the bill will help the improvement of the country. The whole team cheered and sighed in relief as this would bring the bill closer to approval.

My phone beeped and a text message arrived:
                Not impressed. I thought the support was on me?

As if Kim wasn’t enough trouble for a day, now I’m faced with two equally dangerous paths: regain Congressman Kang’s trust and avoid his deliberate political annihilation of me, or provide unwavering support for Congressman Lee and ruin the bill’s approval lest he launches his own attack on my political career and personal life;. This time, I’m taking the time to ponder and think deeply of what moves I shall take – for this could be my last chance to be with any of the two.

--