Confession

The Confession

“Kyuhyun-ah,
You look absolutely gorgeous on stage today. I can’t take my eyes out of you. The moment you hit the highest note, I swear I could hear my heart miss a beat. Those sparkling eyes of yours throughout the song, the way your hands gently caressed the microphone, the passion lingering in every single word from the lyrics; everything is driving me crazy.
Our classmates are cheering hard for you, can you see them?

It’s my favorite song you’re singing.
I can even tell the movements of your lips with my eyes closed.

I’ve drown in this crush for so long, Hyunnie-ah. Do you think I should probably stop?
Cause, I mean, this is hopeless and all.”

-Gosh, cheesy diary again?
-It’s not cheesy, Seohyun – Ryeowook looked up from his light-purple small notebook, only to see a small figure smirking – Stop calling it so if you don’t want me to tell mom you skipped school last week.
-Please do! – his sister seemed to be careless – the next day you’ll find your precious notebook in Kyuhyun’s locker, then!
-Okay, okay, I surrender. Just leave me alone, will you?
-What’s so special about him? I mean, yeah, I agree he has the look, he has the voice and all. But it’s not only him who is talented! Why so into him? It’s been more than three years! – Seohyun this time raised her eyebrows, a glint of abstraction in her voice.
The petite sighed as an answer.
-I don’t know. I myself too wish to get out of this mess you know.
-What mess? Kyuhyun’s here to save the day! – the purpose of the conversation appeared at the door of the class. The tie of his uniform hanged loosely on his neck, and his face – still wet from the previous trip to the rest room – shone vividly in contact with the sunrays outside the window.

He looks perfect.
Well, at least Ryeowook thought so.

-Got exam next period. See you later, idiot – Seohyun just rolled her eyes at his daydream, quickly jumped out of the door.
-So, what’s up? – the latter stole the seat next to Ryeowook, and with a beaming smile he took out his books, preparing for the next class.
-Nothing – the petite replied quietly, returning the notebook to his drawer in a swift move – You sounded awesome singing “At Gwanghwamun” at the talent show yesterday, by the way.
-You just said so because it’s your favorite song – Kyuhyun replied, but he couldn’t help beaming brightly – why are you always carrying that purple handbook?
-Daily cheesy stuff, you see – he stated in a fake monotonous voice – I’d rather you don’t care.

*****

“Kyuhyun-ah,
I had a lot of fun today.

-Wait for me! I’m running out of breath! – Ryeowook yelped in mere hope to catch up to his best friend’s pace. The road seemed endlessly long, and he highly doubted if they could make it to the top of the hill before the end of the day.
-Hurry up! We’re almost there, Wookie! – Kyuhyun reached out his hand for the other’s, dragging him along the narrow path.

“The moment you held my hand, it’s as if for one second the world has stopped.
I had to pretend it was the lack of breath that made my cheek flustered pink. I had to pretend it was the altitude that dazzled me.
I had to pretend it has nothing to do with you”.

The taller’s hand never left his when they silently stood there, watching the magnificent sunset. The sun was giving away it last brilliant rays, dyeing the trees a vibrant citrus orange. Its light skewed among the clouds, enjoying its very last moment before night took over control.

“You got your eyes tied to the horizon, face aglow with the very last pomegranate-color sunlight of the day. The scene was itself breath-taking, but only with you in it does the scene become memorable to me”.

-Thank you – Kyuhyun whispered the first time of the day.
-For what?
He smiled.
-For your presence.

“Kyuhyun-ah? Thank you for stepping into my life.”

*****

He stood there at the rooftop, heart beating wildly.

I’m ready. Let’s get this done no matter what.

The wind played with the hem of his shirt, but he could careless; he’s too busy wandering in his own thoughts. The nervousness didn’t seem to give him the guts at all, but he decided to do it anyway.

The thing itself already sounds crazy, so just go with the flow.

-You called me here? - a figure appeared at the door, slight doubt hidden in his voice.
-Yeah – Ryeowook leans to the balcony and took a deep breath – I had something to tell you.

*****

“Kyuhyun-ah,
I’ve decided. I’m going to confess to you.
I know this sounds crazy and all. It’s so unrealistic of me, to linger to the slightest hope of you feeling the same way.
But I still have to do it. Hiding my thoughts away, swallowing my heart inside, I can’t endure them anymore. I just have to get them out, even if you objects me, it’s only gonna hurt for a while isn’t it?
If there is any chance you and I can be… something, I’ll give you this notebook.
Deal?”

*****

-Let me tell you my answer – Kyuhyun spoke up before the other even had a word – No.
-What?
-This is about a confession, isn’t it? – Kyuhyun nonchalantly continued, every word like a knife stabbing Ryeowook’s heart – My answer is no. Besides, I’ve already liked someone else – he smiled at the petite, this time very gently.
-I see.
All he could feel is disgrace. He was so pathetic.
*****
The shaky fingers gave an umpteenth-time try, but still failed to give the correct version of the song.
Ryeowook sighed; even playing piano couldn’t help him get better. It hurt, it hurt so much that he could barely feel anything but his heart yelling in the need to heal the newborn wound.
His soul is now in a status even worse than pain. It’s unable to feel anything.

 Just numbness.
How come he even knows I had feelings for him? I thought I was a good actor…

He sighed more heavily this time, closing the door of the music room and headed home after a long tiring day.

*****

Ryeowook took a sip of his usual drink and tried his best to chase away the dark clouds invading his mind at the moment. His and Kyuhyun’s favorite coffee shop’s atmosphere couldn’t even lighten it up the smallest bit.

His and Kyuhyun’s used-to-be favorite coffee shop.
It seems that all efforts to erase his crush were so far in vain.

-I finally found you! - suddenly a familiar figure stormed into his table, blocked out his sight, and the petite startled only to realize who he was.
-I don’t think we have… anything to talk about – he raised his hoarse voice, attempting to hide the trembling tone.
Pregnant silence.

-I thought it was Seohyun, you know. The one who wants to confess to me – Kyuhyun spoke up first, voice husky from the previous run – I thought she asked you to help her. So I said no. But then I found this at the music room – he held out a small purple notebook, and upon catching sight of the item, Ryeowook suddenly felt blank.
-I don’t think… I’d understand what you’ve just said– he replied with his eyes widened.
-Silly. I don’t need you to understand. I just need you to be my boyfriend – Kyuhyun smiled – probably the happiest smile Ryeowook had ever seen – and lean in for a quick peck on the other’s cheek.
*****

-Why Seohyun?!? Gosh!
-They kept telling me she had her eyes glued on me…haha, I didn’t know she was spying on me for you!
-What? No! Why must I do that!

-Tell me, is this reality?
He was hushed by a passionate kiss on the lips.