The Calm Before The Storm

The Calm Before The Storm (I'm Sorry) **OneShot**

 

It was late that cold autum night.
Junhyung was settled on the couch with his girlfriend of several months, Goo Hara.
 
They were happily watching tv and chatting about their latest indevours.
He smiled into her hair, enjoying her laugh and chuckling along with her.
He was happy. But, in the back of his mind he couldn't help but feel guilt. But, he pushed the guilt aside.
 
A huge thunderclap resounded all around, causing Hara to jump.
They both turned to look outside, noting that the night sky was clear and there had been no forecast for a storm.
 
"Do you think it'll rain?" Hara questioned, staring out the window at Seoul's skyline.
 
"The news didn't say it would." He reassured her, his arm pulling her closer, so they could settle back into watching their show.
 
There was a peaceful silence settled around Junhyung's apartment, the only sound was the TV, and the occasional laugh between the two of them.
But, it was too peaceful, Junhyung felt. Like the quiet, just before the storm. But, he brushed it off.
 
---
 
 
-Meanwhile-
 
 
"Mommy, Mommy! Don't take too long, ok?!" Cried a three year old boy.
 
HeeYon chuckled patting their heads and kissing his cheek, "Omma won't be long, sweetie." she assured him, stepping out of the car.
 
Leaning against the car was Kan. He looked at her with something relative to anger in his eyes.
 
"Why are we doing this, HeeYon?" He sighed, capturing a stray stand of hair and tucking it behind her ear.
 
"Because, it's time to end this, Kan." She told him firmly, kissing his cheek also.
 
"It's been over." He protested, but she simply sighed and shook her head.
 
"No, Kan. It's been going on for 5 years now. The last three I've just been hiding from him." She said, looking into the car at the cause of her three years of hiding.
 
Little JaeJun smiled brightly, waving happily at his mother. She waved back, with a small smile.
 
"I'm ending everything, Kan. It's not fair to Junhyung not to know, and it's not fair to me and JaeJun.--" She stated, looking up at the Apartment complex.
 
---
 
There was a knock on the door, that disturbed their peaceful silence.
 
"I'll get it!!" Hara chirped, hopping off the couch and running to the door.
 
"Anyeonghaesayo!" she smiled, flinging open the door.
 
Hara smiled dropped from her face and a frown took it's place.
 
"Hello." Junhyung heared a woman's voice reply. A voice that seemed far to farmiliar.
 
He rushed over to the door, moved Hara away and opened the door further.
All the color drained from his face, when he realized who was standing in his doorway.
 
"H-HeeYon..."
 
"Junhyung. Can we talk?" questioned the mysterious woman, keeping her face down and not looking at the beautiful woman that had taken her place.
 
"I... We..." Junhyung looked at Hara. "...Yeah. Just, give me a while, Hara." Junhyung said, grabbing her jacket off the hook, and putting on his sneakers.
 
"But, Junhyung..." Hara sighed, eyeing the petite woman infront of them.
 
She noticed the way HeeYon fiddled nervously with the diamond ring on her wedding ring finger. An engagement ring?
 
Junhyung rubbed her arm, trying to comfort her, "Don't worry, Hara."
 
"It's ok, Junhyung. I don't need long. I have some urgent things I have to tell you, and then I'll be on my way. We're leaving to Hong Kong in the morning and I had to tell you before we leave."
 
Junhyung nodded, giving Hara an apologetic look before closing the door behind him.
 
---
 
They walked across the street and sat down at a bus stop bench.
There was a long uncomfortable silence, before HeeYon began speaking.
 
"Junhyung, there's so much I want to say to you. But, I can't find the words..." she said, chuckling bitterly and shaking her head.
 
Junhyung looked at her sympathetically. He wanted to find it as bitterly humorous as she did, but oddly he couldn't.
 
"There's alot of things I haven't told you... Things you deserve to know." she closed her eyes, fingers fiddling with the ends of her hair, a nervous habit of hers.
 
"I'm not your boyfriend anymore, HeeYon. If you don't want to tell me, then there's no reason to." He nearly snapped, she couldn't do this to him. Not when things were going so perfectly.
 
Why was she here? Why was she wasting his time? What was she trying to do?
 
"Why did you come back, HeeYon? Why are you here? What do you want?" He grumbled out, eyeing her suspiciously.
 
Everything was perfect. For the first time in a long while, he felt happy. Even though she was gone, he had been happy.
 
"I'm sorry, Junhyung. I didn't mean to come ruin everything. I just... I need to end it." She awnsered, her tone of voice had changed. It was soft. She sounded so... hurt. Like She was physically in pain.
 
What would she know about pain? thought Junhyung bitterly. She was the one who left. She was the run who ran away. She was the one that always ruins everything.
 
"Say what you have to say, HeeYon. Get it over with!" He raised his voice a bit, but noticed the way she jumped at it. Is she... afraid?
 
"...First of all. I want to congradulate you. I'm happy for you and Hara." She said, her melodious voice so devoid of emotion. He almost didn't believe that she meant it.
 
"I'm glad you got over me... Now, it's my turn to get over you." continued HeeYon, as she fiddled with the diamond ring on her finger. "But, I will always have a constant reminder, to stop me from getting over you completely."
 
Junhyung scoffed, taking her left hand into his ring hand, and holding it into the light of the street lamps. "You seem to be doing just fine." He said, examing the engagement ring.
 
She yanked her hand away, "He took care of me, when you couldn't!" She cried.
 
"So, then you're marrying that kid?" Junhyung scoffed again before continuing, "What's his name? Kan?" he didn't wait for her to reply. Only chuckled bitterly.
 
"And, second-" HeeYon continued firmly, "-I wanted to tell you about--"
 
"--MOMMY!!" cried a little boy, running out of from a silver Aston Martin DBS. Running after him was a tall, well built, man that Junhyung recognized as Kan.
 
HeeYon got up and meet the little boy about a foot away from Junhyung. "MOMMY! MOMMY! MOMMY!!~" he cried, holding his arms up, demanding to be held.
She picked his up, balancing the child on her hip, she waited for Kan. He ran right up to her and scooped up the little boy.
 
"Sorry, baby. He got away from me before I noticed where he was heading to. I'll take him back to the car." Junhyung heard Kan say.
 
"NOO! I wanna stay with MOMMY!!" the child cried, reaching out to HeeYon.
 
"Mianhae, JaeJun, but, Omma needs to talk very important business with Hyung, ok?" Kan told the child.
 
The little boy looked past HeeYon at Junhyung and began waving, "HI, HYUNG!!~" Junhyung waved back meekly.
 
Kan gave Junhyung a look of disapproval, before lightly pecking HeeYon on the cheek and heading back to the car, the little boy it tow.
HeeYon nervously walked back over and sat down beside Junhyung once more.
 
"Your son?" He questioned, watching her closly. She was acting so nervous.
 
"T-that's actually what I really came here to talk to you about." she said, carefully. Looking at him almost in fear.
 
"About your son? Why?" Junhyung growled, obviously he just was not getting the picture.
 
"JaeJun... He-he's also... your..son." she nearly whispered.
 
There was silence for a long while, until reality finally slapped Junhyung in the face.
 
"WHAT?!" Junhyung cried, looking at HeeYon in disbelief. She kept her head down, not looking at him.
 
"You must be joking!" He raised his voice, this time HeeYon jumped violently at his reaction. He began laughing, believing that she was only tricking him.
 
But, one he noticed the look of pure hurt and anger on HeeYon's face, he stopped laughing.
 
"Y-you're serious..." He chocked, nearly breaking down the moment he saw HeeYon nod and cover her face with her hands, sobbing into her palms.
 
"H-he--" she chocked on her sobs, "He's three years o-old. His b-birthday is December 20th. A-and, his name is Y-Yong JaeJun."
 
"Y-Yong JaeJun?" He questioned, looking at her for explaination.
 
"Well, he's your son. So, I decided to let him keep your last name... And, Jae is for JaeSoon and Jun is for Junhyung..." She awnsered honestly, avoiding the look Junhyung was giving her.
 
"W-Why didnt you... tell me?.." Junhyung nearly whimped, the tears beginning to flow.
 
She shook her head sadly, crying harder. "I just wanted you to be happy, Junhyung."
 
He was about to protest, but she continued, "You would be a twenty two year old, world famous kpop idol, who has a 3 year old son, with a woman to who you are not married, and never publicly announced your relationship with."
 
She tried to reason, but he shook his head, "You should have told me." Junhyung insisted.
 
"What would you have done, Junhyung?... The right thing?... Besides, we all know it was never me you wanted to be with in the first place. It was all just a mistake."
 
Junhyung cried out at that, practically whimpering in hurt. "A mistake, HeeYon? Then why did you tell me? Why didn't you just keep it a secret?"
 
"Because, it's not fair, Junhyung. It's not fair to you, and it's not fair to me, and most of all it's not fair to JaeJun. His father should at least know that he exists, Junhyung."
 
"And, how does Kan come into all of this? Why does he know about JaeJun?" he questioned angrily. What right did Kan have to know about his son before he even did.
 
"That's another thing I wanted to talk to you about...-" She said carefully, turning Junhyung, and quickly wipping her tears.
 
"-I am... Going to marry Kan. And, I thought that you deserved to be the first person to know..."
 
Junhyung choked, sobbing, "Why are you telling me this, HeeYon-ah?" he cried. 'Please. Please... Don't tell me that you're marrying another man. Please, HeeYon.'
 
"Yong Junhyung, I hate you for what you did to me. But, even more for what you didn't." She said, chuckling bitterly at the end. Watching puffs of dragon's breaths in the cold nights air.
 
"All, I can say is I'm sorry." He replied, eyes cast down. He wouldn't cry. He couldn't, not about her marriage.
 
"All you can ever say is I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. When do you ever mean it, Junhyung?" She cried, casting a glance up to the apartment complex across the street.
 
HeeYon could see Hara at the window, passing back and forth in worry, glancing down at them every once in a while.
She felt bad, coming here and intruding on Junhyung's new life.
But, he owed her this much, after tearing up hers. She deserved closure.
 
"I don't wish you any ill-will, Junhyung. Not for casting me aside like trash. Not for abandoning me. Not for finding another woman to take my place..." She looked up at where she could see Hara in the window,
"But, I wish we could fix things. I wish that we could be happy together. But, we can't. There's so much that you did to me. But, there are also so many things that you didn't do..."
 
She looked to the silver car, where Kan and JaeJun where playing next to the sidewalk, "That's why I'm marrying Kan. He gave me all the things you never could. I wanted us to be happy. To get married, and have children, and be together. But, you can never give me that, Junhyung. Kan has always been there for me. He has always given me the things that you couldn't."
 
Suddenly, she stood and wrapped her arms around him. "That was all that I wanted to say."
Junhyung couldn't stop himself from returning her embrace, loosing himself in old memories of when it was just the two of them.
But, then HeeYon pulled away. "I guess this is goodbye, Junhyung." She smiled, and shook his hand with a sad smile.
 
"Goodbye, HeeYon." He whispered in reply, before her hand slipped from his and she walked away from him.
A part of him told him that this time, it would be forever.
And, in his moment of darkness, he heared the skies rumble around him, and then came the downpour.
 
The rain remind him of HeeYon.
Because it's always calm before the storm...
 
-END-