(2/2)

Gummy Bear

For the next few days Kyungsoo was thankful but at the same time angry toward Jongin. He knew something was wrong, he wanted to tell him something but what? Did he give a bad influence to Minseok? Talking about the boy reminded him of what happened last Friday and he hoped it was already resolved just like the father said he would.

"You've been sighing a lot more than normal." commented Sehun, a spoon filled with his lunch was offered to him.

Kyungsoo opened his mouth, letting Sehun fed him.

"Your beloved neighbor?"

Kyungsoo hummed in reply.

"Missed them?"

"The boy only," mumbled Kyungsoo.

"Then see him, you're only minutes away." Sehun raised an eyebrow, telling him to eat but Kyungsoo eyed his food like it was poisonous.

"Can't. I never go when I'm not being called." Kyungsoo pushed his food away. He smiled when Sehun lifted his spoon to him, opening his mouth like a little kid, a smile on his lips.

"It's not hard, Hyung. You just have to go and see someone if you miss them." Sehun stared at him suspiciously, "Why are you being a baby right now?"

"I think the father hates me. And no, you're the baby not me." Kyungsoo shook his head but took another spoon Sehun fed him.

"Said the one being fed." scoffed Sehun.

"Say, the boy reminds me of myself." Kyungsoo chewed slowly.

Sehun gave him a look, leaning a bit closer.

"He was being bullied when I picked him up. His mother left him and he's scared of asking things, even from his father." Kyungsoo scrunched his nose, eyes moving to the outside, staring at the cloudy sky. It looked like it might rain later on, he thought.

"You pity him?"

"I'm sure that's not it. Your words had been bothering me and I hate it." Kyungsoo glared weakly to the younger who blinked couple of times.

"What did I say?"

"About the attachment, the father too. I think he sees me as a kid."

"Or that's what he wanted you to believe."

"Huh?"

Sehun smiled smugly, "Maybe he likes you."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, "That's impossible. He said he still can't forget his wife."

"He might lied. He might not see it just yet."

"No, Sehun, just no. Stop putting these weird thoughts inside my head, you know I hate it when you do that!" Kyungsoo kicked Sehun's foot but apologized after with an awkward grin.

"Ungrateful baby." coughed Sehun. He regretted it as the next moment Kyungsoo was behind him, arms locked around his neck. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Hyung!" He wailed.







Kyungsoo blinked finding a little boy sitting in front of his door. He checked on his watch before approaching the said boy who frowned so deeply and looked like he was glaring at him.

"What are you doing here, Minseok?"

"I'm running away."

"One floor up?"

Minseok stood up, stomping his foot angrily with his lips facing down. "Appa lied to me! He said you don't want to meet me anymore!"

Kyungsoo huffed at the display of anger. He took his key out to unlocked the door and told the boy to come inside first. "Why are you here, Minseok? Your father will be worried of you."

"He doesn't have to worry when I'm with you. You take care of me, like he wanted to." the boy moved his eyes down, hands clenching at the hem of his shirt. "Or was he right? Does Hyung really don't want to see me anymore...?"

The trembling and small voice melted Kyungsoo to squat down in instant, afraid to see Minseok crying again. "No, of course not. Hyung loves spending his time with you. Hyung's just busy. It's my last semester you know, I'm going to graduate very soon so I have to focus on my studies, Minseok."

"For how long? When can we play again? I won't bother you, Hyung. I'll just stay by your side and read on my own. I just don't like it being alone in my place."

"You need to say that to your father." suggested Kyungsoo, rubbing Minseok's chubby cheek.

"I did! Appa just...he likes you, I don't understand. We both like you but why does Appa..." Minseok leaned into his touch, frowning sadly. "Don't leave me, please. I like you a lot, please stay. I don't have any friend, Hyung. You're my only friend and I..."

"Minseok-ah..." Kyungsoo enveloped the boy with his arms and brought him to the couch so they could sat together there, placing the boy on his lap.

"I don't like those women. They only like my father. They don't want me..." Minseok whispered.

"But Minseok, you need a mother. Someone will come and she'll shower you with love, just as much as she loves your father."

"I want you. I only want you, Hyung." Minseok shook his head vigorously, repeating the words over and over as he started to cry on Kyungsoo's chest.

Kyungsoo stayed silent, rubbing the boy's back and shushing him softly.









After a phone call from Jongin, the man came to Kyungsoo's place to pick up Minseok who fell asleep. His face was pale and he kissed the boy's head few times, whispering sorry to him.

Kyungsoo just watched, arm crossing and feeling tired. He swallowed visibly when Jongin stood up, walking to him with an unreadable face.

"What do I do with you?" Jongin asked, more to himself. "I never thought Minseok would like you this much that he even ran away from me, this is the first."

"Should I be flattered?"

"No, and Yes." Jongin rubbed his temple, other hand on his waist. "What's wrong with you, really, what did you do with my son?"

"I only did what you asked me to." Kyungsoo tilted his head, "Is it supposed to be my fault, that he became attached to me?"

"Obviously it's mine." Jongin chucked, "I didn't even know you had such a big and kind heart like that. Do you know that your kindness does something not only to my son, but myself also?"

It took a few moments for Kyungsoo to process the words, blinking in confusion.

"You know a father only wants his child to be happy and you, you're the reason why Minseok has been smiling a lot these days. You're just a college student who was forced to take care of your neighbor's child yet you did a great job compared to older women who should be more capable of doing so." Jongin took two steps closer, leaning down to Kyungsoo who stayed at his spot.

"I've been searching for someone to fill the emptiness in Minseok's live and I finally found it. Don't you think I'm scared when the said person is you?"

A surge of confusion and anger swam through Kyungsoo's body. Was Jongin complimenting or insulting him?

"There's something about you. Making me curious, excited, and anxious of my own feeling." Jongin lowered his voice, eyes moving down from Kyungsoo's eyes to his lips. "It doesn't have to be a woman, right? As long as Minseok is happy..."

"Mr. Kim—" Kyungsoo's breath hitched when Jongin grab his arm, stopping him from stepping away.

"Stay for Minseok, Kyungsoo."

"But,"

"Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo pressed his lips tightly. He should be scared. He should refuse. He didn't have time and this wasn't in any of his plans for his future. Babysitting someone else's child?

"I can't give you more than this. I'll be graduating in months, I'll start working then and I won't have time with Minseok, just like you, Mr. Kim."

Jongin nodded, "I know. I'll take anything you can give, until I found someone else."

Kyungsoo's stomach dropped hearing his words. Of course, he was only a temporary. He too wanted this but to hear the words out loud hurt him somehow.

"Minseok said something, about how all those women only like you, but not him." he said, pulling his arm from Jongin's grip.

The father let out a chuckle, "He's smart, right? And like I said, he could see through people's intention. You may think I'm protecting him, but he's the one doing it to me."






Kyungsoo dialed Sehun's number, lying on his bed with his notes scattered around him. He couldn't focus after what happened earlier.

"Hyung?"

"What am I doing? This is so weird, worrying about a child like he's someone important." he said as soon as the younger pick up his call.

"Uh...is this about that neighbor of yours again?"

"They're confusing. The father wanted me to stay away but the next moment the son is chasing me. The father suddenly changed his mind after that happened." Kyungsoo groaned, covering his eyes with his arm.

"I might be wondering the same, how come someone like you could take my son's heart if I have one."

"Hey, now. That's not nice." a small smile formed on Kyungsoo's lips.

"Problem solved, right?"

"More problems to come. I think I'll ask for payment starting now, things have gone too far and I can’t do this for free anymore..."

Sehun laughed, "You should've done that in the first place. Look where kindness brought you."

"Another problem?"

"You never know, it might end up good for you, Hyung."

Oh, Kyungsoo wished so.







***






Minseok was all smiles and laughs when he spent time with Kyungsoo. He had been more demanding than usual; pouting, whining, and acting more like kids his age.

"Hyung, there's a new kid today and he came from China."

"China?"

"Yes! His aunt is Korean and he learnt few words already. The teacher chose me to teach him some new ones." the boy proudly said, gummy smile adorning his face.

"That's good. What's his name?"

"Zhang Yixing. He's funny, Hyung. He gets sleepy easily. He brings his favorite plushie and it's a unicorn. It's this big..." Minseok opened his arms wide, eyes sparkling.

"Maybe I can meet him the next time I pick you up." Kyungsoo moved around the kitchen, preparing the dinner for them.

"You should! I'm sure he'll like you too, Hyung!"

"I'm not sure, Minseok-ah. Kids are scared of me." feeling a tug on his pants, Kyungsoo faced the boy.

"I like you a lot, Hyung. You're a nice person but Appa said that we can't make everyone like us."

Kyungsoo ruffled the boy’s head, "He's right."






***





He wanted to avoid it if he could but Kyungsoo had to come and talk to his parents. They were finally getting a divorce and as the only son he needed to know about all the legal things. His father would stay at their house while his mother will move to their second house, just outside the city. She wanted to be closed with the beach and but not too far from the company as she was still working there. Kyungsoo didn't say anything when the both of them told him what they wanted to do. He did become uncomfortable when they started talking about his future plan.

"Just like you guys want. I'll start working in the company after I graduate and we'll see how I adapt there." that was what they had been reminding him since he was a little boy, how he would be taking charge of his grandparents' company, just like his parents.

"I'm sorry, Kyungsoo. If only we can fix this before it's too late." his mother was holding his hand, her usual warm eyes staring at him. He used to love them but for the past year he had learned to hate it.

"If everything is finished, I will go."

"Don't you want to have lunch with us first, son?" asked his father, eyes full of hope.

He knew they both still loved him the same, but the way they crushed his ideal world was what hurt him so badly he couldn't see them in the same way anymore.

"Maybe next time." Kyungsoo tightened his hold before letting go of his mother's hand. He nodded to his father with a polite smile before walking out of the room.

He thought he would be fine. He was old enough to understand and not get affected by his parents' situation but who was he kidding. He had to move on though, it wasn't like he still needed them to shower him with affections like they used too.

A gummy smile with a pair of crescents eyes came to his mind and Kyungsoo chuckled to himself.

To think that Minseok was the first person who came to his mind when he was sad.







It was rare to find Jongin opening the door when he arrived. The man raised an eyebrow, a playful smile on his lips as he leaned to the door. "May I help you?"

"I want to see Minseok, Mr. Kim." Kyungsoo grunted out seeing that playful smile.

"Come in. I didn't call you and it’s a pleasant surprise to find you here so suddenly like this." the man closed the door behind them, following his way to Minseok's room.

"I don't feel like studying alone." Kyungsoo replied. He knocked the door twice before opening it. He was ready to call for the boy but his eyes fell to Minseok who was sleeping peacefully.

"Sorry. He just went to bed." whispered Jongin.

"You should've told me." Kyungsoo sighed, closing the door gently and turned to the older man. "I'll go back again later then."

"Why don't you wait here?" the father offered.

"I don't know what to do here..." Kyungsoo averted his eyes.

"You can help me cook or you can just tell me about yourself." Jongin walked rounding Kyungsoo, pushing him by the shoulder to the kitchen.

"Why should I do that?"

"Minseok said you're a pretty good cook. Though he still prefer my cooking, obviously."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "I don't feel like doing either. Can I just watch TV or something?"

"No. I want to know more about my son's babysitter." Jongin let go of Kyungsoo, opening the fridge to scan it.

"Don't call me that."

"Okay, neighbor. Tell me why you come here, then."

"I just want to see your son." Kyungsoo unconsciously let his eyes wander to Jongin's body. When did he have the time to work out? He had enough muscles and it showed through his fitted long sleeve and a pair of jeans. He looked a bit younger with casual clothes too, especially with his hair down.

"What do you usually do with him?" Jongin took some eggs and sausages from the fridge. Kyungsoo smiled to himself guessing what the man would cook.

"Read. Watch movies. Sometimes he's curious wanting to know what I'm learning. He got bored pretty soon, though." Kyungsoo pulled a chair and sat on it, watching Jongin cook. "Have you heard about Yixing?"

"The new transfer student? Yeah, Minnie likes him a lot. He planned to bring Yixing next week actually." Jongin cracked two eggs into a bowl after he poured the oil into the pan. Cutting the sausages into tiny pieces, he put it into the eggs and added a bit of salt before he stirred them.

"Oh, that's good. He sounds so happy to find a friend. He said that I'm his first friend and—" Kyungsoo paused when Jongin turned to him.

"And?"

He shrugged, leaning his chin to his palm. "It's making me sad. Kids at his age should play with any kids easily."

"Well, it might because I babied him to much."

"Parents’ instinct. I'm the only son, I understand." a small pang on his heart came as a small reminder of his parents.

"I have two older sisters and I'm the youngest. They babied me a lot too." sizzling sounds crackled as Jongin poured the eggs into the pan.

"How many cousins does Minseok have?"

"Two girls and one boy. I brought him once a month to meet them if I'm not busy."

Kyungsoo pursed his lips. Jongin was definitely an attractive man. He had a stable job to boost his looks and personality. He could imagine the father had many women surrounding him, knowing how he was still young. But it was hard with the condition of his son, not everyone wanted to take care of other’s child. Even if Jongin found someone, Kyungsoo was worried it wouldn’t change anything for Minseok. The boy would have sibling very soon and he would get less attention than before.

"Why don't you have a boyfriend, Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo held his breath at the question. Few faces came to his mind, some that he regretted. "Haven't found one." he blinked then, realizing it. "How did you know?"

"Know what?" Jongin took a plate for the cooked eggs. He walked back to the fridge and took out a box of kimchi.

"That. Boyfriend."

"Just a lucky guess." Jongin smiled. "Do you want to eat?"

"No, thanks."

"Suit yourself." Jongin walked back to the fridge and took a bottle of juice, giving it to Kyungsoo as he sat across the man.

"You're okay having me around your son?"

"Yeah, why? I'm not like those who...you know?"

Kyungsoo nodded in understanding despite the frown on his face, opening the bottle to drink it while Jongin ate. "Aren't you going to wake Minseok to eat?"

"He still has around twenty more minutes."







Talking with someone older than him, a father on top of that, was something new to Kyungsoo. His friends were mostly of his age, except those business partners of his parents that he had to meet at some gala dinners. Knowing how busy a normal nine-to-five worker like Jongin was something that he would experience in near time. He didn't want any advantage by being the son of the company's owner and his father didn't want the same thing also. He had so many things to learn before big responsibilities would be put on his shoulders.

Minseok woke up later and Kyungsoo listened to the boy talking about Yixing along with Jongin.

Kyungsoo was happy he found his own happy pill in the form of a cute child like Minseok.








Jongin changed and it was something that he couldn’t pretend he didn’t notice. The man started texting Kyungsoo, asking how he was doing and other questions he mostly asked his son. The father still acted the same whenever they saw each other yet Kyungsoo could see a small difference when they went out.

Jongin had become more...protective, which was weird. Almost like Kyungsoo was Jongin's relative or something. He started to worry a lot more of Kyungsoo, commenting how thin he was, how tired he looked after cramming all night or when he was in a bad mood.

Kyungsoo also saw a different look that he couldn't describe, between anxiety and something else, something similar to fondness.

"Kyungsoo?"

And the way he called his name. From the very first time, it brought many different reactions from his body that he couldn't control.

"Yeah?"

"You've been spacing out." pointed Jongin.

Kyungsoo snorted, "No, I'm checking this book." he lifted the book on his hands.

"Upside down?"

He cursed under his breath when Jongin corrected it for him with a knowing smile.

"Thinking of something else?"

You, actually, was what Kyungsoo wanted to say but he hummed instead.

"Something that I can't help?" Jongin kept his eyes on Minseok who was holding hand with Yixing, choosing a book that caught his attention.

"I'm sorry." apologized Kyungsoo. He put the book in its place back, intertwining his fingers together.

"I'm not pushing you. I know you don't trust people so easily, so I understand. But you have Sehun to talk about it with, so I suggest you to go to him quickly."

He started to warm up to Jongin to the point where the man knew about Sehun. It was actually his fault how he lost control and got angry at the younger through a phone call. Jongin of course asked after, if things were under control. Jongin couldn’t hide his interest when Kyungsoo told him about his best friend after.

"I will, thanks, Hyung."

It was a request from Jongin to call him Hyung. He mentioned how there weren't that many between them and it proved to bring them closer in short time. Sehun raised his eyebrows when he heard it, though.

"Tell me if I can help, okay?"

Kyungsoo nodded. He told himself not to flinch at the warm hand at his back, something that Jongin did a lot lately. Every small thing that Jongin did had been giving him weird signal especially whenever Sehun commented about every single of them.

He did think about how being close with Jongin only prevented the man to find someone for Minseok. He wanted to talk about it but the time was never right.

Or maybe he was afraid to see his reaction because he couldn't deny how he enjoyed the company of the father and his son.

Minseok came back with Yixing few minutes after, each of them has a book on their other hand.

"Appa, can we buy this?"

"Of course, Minnie. Let's pay for it. We're going to get lunch after this." Jongin took the books from the boys' hands, making them walked ahead to the cashier.






"Yixing, you have something on your cheek." Minseok scolded and giggled at the same time, wiping some sauce on Yixing's cheek.

"Sorry."

"It's okay."

Jongin nudged Kyungsoo’s knee as they were sitting next to each other, signaling him to see the boys as he tried to hide his smile.

"How's the food, boys?" Jongin asked.

"Delicious, Appa!"

"It’s delicious." Yixing said gently, sharing a smile with Minseok.

"Appa, did Yixing’s mother call you? About the trip?" Minseok asked, tilting his head.

"Yeah, I heard. You're invited, right? Are you excited?"

"Very! Yixing likes the beach and it's been awhile since he went there." Minseok's eyes were sparkling and he couldn't stop grinning.

"Great. Finally Appa can have a little rest from you." Jongin sighed, smiling in a teasing way which make Minseok pout.

"So Appa won't miss me?"

"Oh, Appa will. I'll call you later when you arrived and you can tell Yixing's mother whenever you want to talk to me, alright?"

"Yes, Appa."







"Aren't they cute?"

Kyungsoo was helping Jongin cooking the dinner. The boys were currently taking a nap in Jongin and Minseok's room.

"They are."

"They like each other so much. I'll be thankful if they never stop becoming best friends in the future." Jongin hummed, testing the soup he was cooking. "Try this." he took another spoonful and offer it to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was about to take it from his hand but Jongin held in instead, telling him to open his mouth and fed him. "How is it?" he asked.

"It's good."

Jongin grinned proudly. He let go of Kyungsoo's hand and turned back to the stove. Kyungsoo on the other hand was still half in shock at what Jongin did.

The way his warmth lingered on his hand and those eyes staring back at him. He clenched his jaw, holding the burst that about to come out, asking what the hell did Jongin do just now.

"Kyungsoo?"

"Hmm?" he snapped up, eyes to the side profile of Jongin.

"Why don't you have a boyfriend?"

"I want to focus on finishing my study. I have to work at my father's place after." answered Kyungsoo. He moved his eyes to focus on the food instead of the man making it.

"Your father?"

"Yeah, he has a company. Belonged to my grandparents actually."

"Oh, that explains."

Kyungsoo glanced up, "What?"

"I rarely found college student here. I wonder how you afford a place in this expensive apartment."

"Well, yeah. My parents—" Kyungsoo abruptly stopped himself. Should he told Jongin about it? He could just skip the divorce thing.

Jongin waved his hand, "It's okay, I understand." he seemed to read that Kyungsoo didn't want to continue.

"They just recently divorced." he sighed out after few seconds.

"Kyungsoo, I'm sorry. You really don't have to tell me." Jongin frowned, moving to Kyungsoo’s side and rubbed his back.

"Anyway, you already know that my family is quite rich and that's why I live here. I planned to move out in university but I don't feel like working. My mother doesn't want me to live alone at first but she finally agreed. I know I'll be busy once I started working, that's why I try to enjoy this time as much as I can. Sehun will say the exact opposite though, telling me to have the real fun and follow him." a small burden lifted up from his shoulder after telling Jongin about his family. The man never failed to listen intently whenever he shared him small pieces about his life, never asking questions but just listening to everything that Kyungsoo said.

"All I can say is you still have few months to try everything that you want. I agreed that once you work in the office you won't have the same freedom as you used to but you'll have time to rest once in awhile. Having a kid, now that's a different story." Jongin chuckled. He turned off the stove and told Kyungsoo to prepare the bowls.

"Did you regret not doing something when you were at my age?" Kyungsoo asked, preparing four bowls of rice.

"Not really. None, I guess. I took dance class, I dated, I traveled and I had a kid quite early. If I could repeat it, I didn't regret any of it, except one thing."

It was Kyungsoo's turn to rub his hand on Jongin's back which made the man laugh.

"It's okay, I got you now."

"What?"

"Hmm?"

"What did you just say?"

"I'll go wake the boys up." Jongin smiled before leaving Kyungsoo with his thoughts and heart beating fast.






"See? I told you that he likes you!" Sehun huffed, rolling his eyes and drinking his hot chocolate.

Kyungsoo was hugging a small pillow, biting his lips and feeling like strangling Sehun. "I hate you."

"Love you too, Hyung." was Sehun reply with a smug smile.

"Sehun, are you sure? But he had wife before."

"Maybe he's bi. Maybe he just like you. My guess is because of how Minseok's warmed up to you." Sehun nodded to himself.

"Really?"

"You can ask him for an immediate answer." offered Sehun. "Do you feel something when you're with him?"

Kyungsoo sighed, nodding once. He puckered his lips, "I can't help it, even you say he's handsome."

"Yeah. He's a dancer too, that's a plus."

"Why?"

"Hip movement."

It took Kyungsoo two seconds before he threw the pillow to Sehun who laughed out loud. "Stop putting bad seeds into my head!" his cheeks were red. He groaned, shaking his head hard to erase the image that came to his mind.

"I want you to try if he truly likes you." Sehun said after he finished laughing, face turned serious.

"I don't know, Sehun...I like where I am right now."

"You'll be even more grateful if he understands that and waits for you."

Kyungsoo could tell that Jongin might do that.






***






Kyungsoo had been checking himself for more than five times already. He was waiting for Jongin to come. It was Saturday and the man said they should go out like usual. Minseok went to Yixing’s house on Friday and Kyungsoo dreaded it. Without Minseok, this sounded like a date to him.

It would be awkward, he had to focus on Jongin this time instead of Minseok. He suddenly forgot how he usually acted when he was with him. Minseok was always there before and even if lately they had become closer Kyungsoo was still nervous.

Kyungsoo jumped when the bell rang. He took a deep inhale, once again looking at the mirror before he went to the door, greeting Jongin who looked absolutely dashing. He wore a simple grey long sleeve with a pair of jeans but he looked brighter than usual.

"Hey."

Kyungsoo nodded in reply, locking his door and went to the elevator with Jongin beside him.

"Just relax, Kyungsoo. You look so tense." Jongin chuckled, touching his arm to squeeze it.

Kyungsoo scolded his heart internally for sounding so loud. It would be a long night and his heart might get too tired if it kept beating fast like this.






Kyungsoo took his words back because the night went faster than he imagined. Jongin lead the conversation and Kyungsoo just followed him. The man joked and teased, something that he never did before when Minseok was with them. The man caught quite some attention when they walked around the mall, some girls and women were staring and whispering at them. Kyungsoo wondered if they thought he was Jongin's friend or cousin.

Jongin talked about his friends and it was fun to hear him talk, sharing their antics, some stress from work and just opening himself to Kyungsoo about his childhood.

The protective side was there with a touch of gentleness, a hand on his back, occasionally his arm. Kyungsoo felt like Jongin liked touching him, being close to him especially when they walked beside each other. Sehun would smirk knowingly if he said he liked those touches.

"Want some ice cream?" they're heading back when Jongin offered, pointing at the ice cream stall.

"Sure."

"We always come here and Minseok had tried almost all the flavors, I guess." Jongin chuckled.

"Really? Can you choose for me?"

"Is there any flavor that you don't like?"

"Nope."

"Cup or cones?"

"Cup."

Jongin and Kyungsoo had their hands with ice cream as they walked out. Kyungsoo complimented the flavor Jongin choose, making a grin formed on that handsome face.

"Here, try mine."

Kyungsoo looked at Jongin in the eyes when he again, offering his spoon to him. He leaned in, taking it inside his mouth. "It’s good." he his lower lip, nodding. He didn’t miss the way Jongin’s eyes lingered on his lips.







"Did you enjoy tonight?" Jongin asked later on when they were inside his car on their way back.

"Can I be honest?" Kyungsoo whispered.

"Uh, that doesn't sound good." Jongin glanced worriedly.

Kyungsoo laughed, crinkling his eyes, "I was really nervous but I'm glad I forgot it the moment we start talking. I enjoy tonight a lot, Hyung."

"Great. Can we do this more sometimes in the future? I mean, if you want to." Jongin cleared his throat.

Kyungsoo thought only for a moment because yes, he definitely wanted to do this more in the future. "I'd love to. With Minseok too?"

"With Minseok too, but I'll ask Yixing's parents for a help if you want it to be just the two of us."

Kyungsoo groaned unconsciously, making Jongin turned to him with raised eyebrows. "Are you always this smooth?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I mean, I can see that you have more experience than me in this." Kyungsoo intertwined his hand nervously.

"But Kyungsoo," Jongin reached out to pull his hand gently, holding it for the first time. "This is the first time with a man."

Kyungsoo bit his lip, refusing to see Jongin even if he was curious of how he looked at the moment. "You're so unfair."

"I am?"

"If we, if we continue this, how...how about Minseok?" his voice was small when he asked, tightening the hold of Jongin's warm hand. He liked the feeling of his hand, how their hands seemed perfect and fitted each other.

"We can just tell him. He likes you already, I'm sure he has no problem." his thumb was rubbing the back of Kyungsoo's hand.

Kyungsoo tried to calm himself, his heart refused to listen to his order, being so loud on his own head.

"Or if you want to keep it a secret, we can do that too." Jongin added.

"I...I don't know, Hyung. It's... I just can't see why you're doing this with me when there're many, many great women out there."

"Kyungsoo, I need Minseok's permission and I want someone who truly cares for him. You have both of them. Not only that but you have many other traits that I never thought I would like." Jongin had his eyes to the street. "I'll give you time to think of this, to figure it out. I just hope that when it doesn't end with what I expected, you'll keep seeing Minseok and still be his friend."






Jongin walked Kyungsoo to his door but Kyungsoo had been silent, mind had been running since Jongin's confession in the car.

The father stared at him when he didn't move, keys in his hand as he stared into his own door.

"Kyungsoo?" called Jongin.

"Would you like to come in, Jongin Hyung?" Kyungsoo unlocked the door, opening it and gesturing Jongin to come inside. Jongin nodded in reply, excusing himself inside.

"Are you serious?" Kyungsoo was standing up when he asked it, Jongin was sitting on his couch.

"Do you want to hear me saying it out loud Kyungsoo? That I like you? That I've been wondering about the cute neighbor who was grumpy in the morning that still managed to look adorable in my eyes? That I love every moment you make Minseok smile, every time you take care of him, my one and only son? Do you know how hard it was to erase this feeling, thinking how inappropriate for me to feel this way but I just can't stop it from growing?"

Kyungsoo dropped his head, feeling his chest tightening.

"I'm not a good father yet I’m lucky to have such a wonderful kid like Minseok. I finally found someone for Minseok. What if this person is also a special person I want to spend the rest of my life with?"

"Hyung..." Kyungsoo whispered, shaking his head, silently asking him to stop.

Jongin stood up, walking closer to Kyungsoo and stopped in front of him. He very slowly lifted Kyungsoo's chin, staring at him with eyes so full of love that Kyungsoo held his breath for a moment. "I like you, Do Kyungsoo. Can you at least give me a chance?"

Kyungsoo sniffed, lifting his hands up to clutch at Jongin's shirt. He found nothing but honesty in the other’s eyes. He didn't want to be the cause of hurt that swam in his favorite pair of eyes.

"You don't have to answer now, Kyungsoo." Jongin's hand cupped his cheek, thumb rubbing gently over his cheek, making him shut his eyes and leaned into the touch.

"I want to," whispered Kyungsoo. "I want to try."

"Yeah? Is that what you really want, Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo opened his eyes, seeing the small pull of Jongin's lips. "You're a very nice man and you're a great father. It isn't hard to fall for you, Hyung."

Jongin chuckled, smile getting bigger. "Thank you."

Kyungsoo formed a small smile of his own, loosening his hands and dropped it back to his side. He saw a glint in Jongin's eyes as his thumb moved down, grazing over his lower lip, making him part them.

"May I?"

Kyungsoo smiled his heart shaped one, nodding once before Jongin leaned in, pressing his lips into his own. He fluttered his eyes closed, sighing into the kiss. Jongin pulled back just for a moment before he kissed him again, tilting his head and moving slowly, enjoying the taste of Kyungsoo's lips as he got closer, his other hand moving to Kyungsoo's waist.

"Thank you." Jongin whispered to his lips.

Kyungsoo hummed, pulling Jongin back with his hand for more kisses. In the back of his closed eyelids, he imagined Minseok giggling cutely at them.






***





"Appa?"

Jongin smoothly moved away from Kyungsoo, hand dropping from his waist as he turned to Minseok coming inside the kitchen. "Yes, baby?"

Kyungsoo had his back facing the boy, fighting the blush spreading on his cheeks because they almost got caught by the boy.

"Can you help me with my homework later?"

"Sure, dear." Jongin walked to the boy, hoisting him up into his chest and brought him over to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo told Jongin to say nothing to Minseok. He didn't want to give some kind of hope if Minseok took the news in a good way, he still might change his mind in the future. He wanted his relationship with Jongin to be stable first before he tell the boy.

"Kyungsoo Hyung is cooking today, he's making one of his favorite food." Jongin said, cupping the boy's cheek as Minseok watched Kyungsoo stirring the sauce.

"What is it?"

"Kimchi spaghetti." answered Kyungsoo.

"Sounds delicious, hmm?" Jongin pecked Minseok's cheek, the boy nodding.

"Yes! Can't wait to try it, Hyung." Minseok grinned when Kyungsoo turned to smile at him. "Now put me down, Appa. I'm still watching." the boy wriggled on his father's hold. He ran as soon as his father let him down, Jongin scolding him to be careful.

"You need to stop doing that." Kyungsoo sighed out, referring to what Jongin did earlier.

"I'm sorry. He doesn't always check on me when I'm cooking." Jongin's hand was back on its previous spot, on Kyungsoo's waist as his chest pressed to his arm.

Kyungsoo started to get use to be close with Jongin. Jongin's touch was always gentle despite him refusing to go away at times when Kyungsoo requested him to.

"And you look so good wearing apron like that." whispered Jongin, inhaling deeply at his hair before putting his chin on his shoulder.

Kyungsoo scrunched his nose but he whispered a thanks.

"I have to meet client tomorrow. Can you go and pick Minseok up?"

"So you've been clingy because you want to ask a favor?" Kyungsoo teased, chuckling at the horror in Jongin's eyes.

"No, it's not because of that!"

"I'm kidding, Hyung." Kyungsoo patted Jongin's hand on his stomach, turning off the stove. "It's ready, let's go eat.”






Maybe it was his habit ever since he had Minseok, but Kyungsoo didn't really like it when Jongin treated him like a baby.

He glared when Jongin wiped a sauce on the corner of his lips. Minseok was eating with them and he could have seen it. Jongin seemed like he didn't understand why Kyungsoo was glaring, questioning at him with his eyes.

"Hyung?"

"Yes?" Kyungsoo smiled to Minseok who sat on the other side of Jongin at the round dining table. He avoided sitting beside Jongin but of course Jongin didn’t want that and pulled Kyungsoo to sit beside him.

"Do you like my father?"

"I'm sorry?" Kyungsoo didn’t expect the question and he resisted not to glance at Jongin.

"Do you like Appa?" the boy repeated. The boy blinked his eyes innocently and Kyungsoo didn't know the purpose of this question.

"Yeah, he's a nice man." Kyungsoo answers vaguely. "Why are you asking?"

"I'm..." Minseok pressed his lips, hesitant.

"Go on." Jongin prompted.

"Y-yixing said something...he...he told me he wants to marry me in the future."

"What?" Kyungsoo widened his eyes while Jongin looked calm.

"Is it possible? I mean, isn't a man supposed to marry a woman? If it's two men then...then we can't have children, right?" Minseok was frowning so deeply Jongin reached out to smoothen it.

"There are some people who marry the same gender, Minseok. And adopting is another way to have a child." Jongin rubbed Minseok's cheek with his finger, making the boy closed one of his eyes.

"Oh, okay. I didn't say anything to Yixing because I'm not sure. He looked sad when I don't answer him." the boy sighed.

"Do you like Yixing?" asked his father.

"I do. He's my best friend. But aren’t we too young to talk about this, Appa?"

Kyungsoo inhaled silently, Minseok was really mature for his age and he never failed to amaze him at times like this.

"You can tell Yixing what you just said, Minseok. I'm sure he'll understand."

Minseok smiled to his father, agreeing with the idea. "But Appa. Does that mean that...that it can also happen to someone who already has a child?"

"Yes."

"Someone like you?"

Jongin took more time before he answered. "Yes, Minseok."

"Is that why you kissed Kyungsoo hyung?"

Kyungsoo paused his chewing. He shut his eyes, exhaling.

"You saw?" Jongin tilted his head to a nodding Minseok, "When?"

"Few days before. I wanted to ask you something but you're kissing him so I came back again later."

Kyungsoo didn't expected that. He told Jongin to be careful but frankly, at times, he couldn't resist and melt into his warm eyes and gentle touches that he forgot his surrounding.

"You kiss someone if you like them, so you like Kyungsoo hyung, right, Appa?"

Kyungsoo had his eyes on his plate, not wanting to see what look Minseok had at the moment.

"Yes, Minseok. I like him and that's why I kissed him." Jongin sounded so casual that Kyungsoo glanced at him, why he didn't look worry at all? It was almost like he was happy Minseok found out about them.

"Then will you two get married in the future?"

"Minseok, we—"

"Because I don't mind." Minseok cut his father.

Kyungsoo snapped his head to the boy who was staring back at him.

"I don't mind if it happens." Minseok repeated. It was as if he knew what Kyungsoo had been feeling, had been worrying for weeks now and the very sole reason why he decided to keep the secret from Minseok.

"Minseok, thank you for saying that, but I guess we're happy of what we are right now." Jongin ruffle his boy’s hair gently, "I apologize for keeping a secret from you. Will you forgive me?"

"It's okay, Appa. I understand." Minseok gave his gummy smile to his father, getting a kiss on his cheek in return.

"Kyungsoo?"

"Yeah?" Kyungsoo cleared his throat, he sounded hoarse.

"Are you okay?" Jongin held his hand under the table and it calmed Kyungsoo a bit.

"Just a little bit shocked." he answers truthfully.

"I'm not mad, Kyungsoo Hyung. I'm happy that Appa had been smiling a lot lately even if he's tired from work." Minseok smiled cutely when Kyungsoo finally landed his eyes on him. "And I like you very, very much."

"I like you too, Minseok. You're the first kid who isn't afraid of me." Kyungsoo gave the boy his favorite heart shaped smile.

Jongin leaned in then, "This means I can kiss you whenever I want, right?" he groaned when Kyungsoo kicked him, pulling his hand from his grasp and continue eating. Minseok blinked in confusion and Jongin assured him with a smile that it was nothing.

"Aren't you glad we finally have him, Minseok?" He asked his son who nodded vigorously.

"Yes, finally, Appa!"

"Finally...?" Kyungsoo gave a suspicious look to the father and son who grinned at him.





***





"Uncle Soo..."

"Stop whining. You're the one who wanted to learn this." Kyungsoo shushed the young man who was squatting beside him, pouting.

"I never knew it'll be this hard..."

"I never said it was easy and I never said you'll succeed in one try, Yixing." Kyungsoo sighed as he cut the burned part of the cake base they just bake. Minseok's birthday was coming soon and Yixing told him he wanted to make a surprise. Kyungsoo was happy at Yixing's intention but the man had no talent in cooking, unlike Minseok who got it from his father.

"It's the third one and I'm getting better, right?" Yixing stood up to his height then, a little bit taller than Kyungsoo and watching the older man’s hand moved naturally and easily to fix his cake.

"I have to say yes. Practice makes perfect after all."

"I can't wait to see his reaction!" Yixing grinned, hugging Kyungsoo so suddenly he dropped the knife on his hand.

"Yixing! You surprised me!" Kyungsoo groaned, trying to push the man away from him.

Yixing laughed, letting go of him and took the knife to start to frost the cake while the older watched, telling him to be careful.

"I still can't believe it." he said after a moment of silence.

"What?"

"The story of how you become a member of this family." Yixing gave his dimpled smile as he glanced at Kyungsoo.

"You were there," shrugged Kyungsoo, leaning his hip to the counter.

"Minseok loves you a lot, even now he can't stop talking about you."

"Yeah? From what I know he's currently in love with his best friend and can't stop swooning over the said boy." Kyungsoo bit his lip seeing Yixing turn red. "I'm glad you don't let him suffer that long and accept his feelings. Can’t believe how dense you are to miss his signals."

"Uncle!" Yixing whined, "I can't help it, it’s hard to believe that he likes me. I mean, he has many fans, just like his father."

"Just like his father..." Kyungsoo repeated with a nod.

"When will Uncle Jongin come back by the way?"

"On Minseok's birthday. He already bought him his gift, but of course you know he'll love your gift more, especially after two weeks taking a baking class with me." Kyungsoo teased again.

"I'm sure he'll love his father's gift too. What's your gift, Uncle?" asked Yixing. He yelped when he made a slight mistake. Kyungsoo told him to stay calm and continued.

"I haven't bought anything. Every year I always have a hard time choosing his gift."

"He treasures all those novels you bought for him, you know that." Yixing continued his work, a little slower to not repeat the mistake this time. "And you're the gift he treasures the most." He whispered loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear.

"Maybe." Kyungsoo smiled, couldn't forget the happy cry Minseok had when he found out about the news. The news where Jongin proposed to him and he said yes. He stared down at his fourth finger, the simple silver band lacing it.

When he looked up, Yixing had a small smile on his lips and he laughed, telling him to continue with blushing cheeks. "Let's give another great birthday for him. I’m afraid this will be the last time we celebrate his birthday before he moves out.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure he doesn’t forget spending his birthday with you and Uncle Jongin.”

“Take a good care of him, you know how hard it was to make his father agreed to his request.” Kyungsoo scrunched his nose at the memory of two weeks helping Minseok getting an approval to move out to an apartment close to the university he would attend.

“I had been doing it for years and I’ll keep doing it in the future.” promised Yixing.

Kyungsoo stared at Yixing working hard on his cake. He couldn’t wait for Jongin to come back so the four of them could celebrate Minseok’s birthday.