Chapter 1: A Child's Love

BYSTANDERS: Helping 7 guys was not a part of my plan

Chapter 1: A child’s love

 

Parents love their children dearly, aren’t they? But the case is different for Taehyung. Taehyung lived in an old apartment next to our neighbourhood with his younger sister and abusive father. Taehyung’s father, Mr. Kim has always been a hot-tempered person but it got worse after his wife passed away a year ago. He occasionally hit Taehyung and his younger sister when he got his chance. He also hit his late wife before. Taehyung tried everything to please his father, from getting good grades and even cleaning the apartment, in which he hated to do the most. It was weird, Taehyung was very open to me like we’ve been friends for years. This guy, trusted a stranger like me so much that I could not just leave him be like that. At that moment, I’ve already made my decision. “I’ll try to help you.” I swore by the time I said those words, Taehyung grinned. “And how a girl can help me?” “I’ll listen to you.”

 

Listen, by far, is the best thing that I can do to help people like him. I was not a good talker, so giving advice is a no-no. A week has passed since I met Taehyung under unexpected circumstances. I only planned to go to a convenience store, bought menstruation pads, some snacks and drinks and then left as fast as lightning. Well, that was my plan and I thought that it would be well-executed but obviously it did not. I bumped into a black-hooded guy and all the things that I bought were all scattered on the floor, including the pads and me. What a huge momentum this guy had on me and my plastics! He’s not a bad guy, though. He helped me to pick up my things. He saw me when I look embarrassed as he picked up the pads from the floor, “Hey, don’t worry. I have a younger sister. So, I kinda understand your situation.” He smiled. “T-thank you.” 

 

I knew that I should just leave after that small ‘thank you’ but blamed my curiosity. “Are you okay?” He seemed a bit surprised, though. She saw it. “I’m s-sorry. I must’ve crossed the line…” “No. It was just…unexpected.” It was unexpected from me too! Afterwards, it was a long awkward silence until he broke it. “Let’s take a seat first before the two of us have sore legs.” He’s quite funny. That’s good, I guess. “Alright, the answer to your question…I’m so not okay. You saw it.” He lowered his voice, “I got hit.” He paused, “By my father.” That was cruel for a father to hit his child that severe. “But I don’t hate him.” Why? After those chapped lips, purple bruise that formed on his cheek, still he didn’t hate him. “No matter what I am still his son.” And that’s how our conversation became longer than what we’ve expected. 

 

***

Taehyung’s story:

 

“No matter what, I am still his son.”

 

Black, black, black and blue. Soon, it turned into purple bruise. He covered his fresh wound. His eyes were still eyeing on the belt that his father was holding, wondering who is his next target. It could be him, or his younger sister. His father huffed and puffed, trying to keep in his anger. He wished he was not there. He looked outside the window, trying to get away for a while with his lost thought. He saw a person, walking side by side with his parents. Their eyes meet. He smiled. “How I wish.” He glanced at his father, “But-” A slap landed on his left cheek. “Look at me when I’m talking to you!”

 

“I’m s-sorry.” Taehyung mumbled. “Sorry? That’s all you can do the best.” I’m sorry for not being the son that you wanted me to be. I’m sorry for I am not a perfect son. I’m sorry for wasting your money, attending tuition but I have nothing to show. I’m sorry for not setting a good example as a big brother. I’m sorry. I’m... “Tch. It’s the same old trick. Leave him be.” He ordered as he saw his daughter was about to attend to the unconscious Taehyung. “Or else, you’re next.” 

 

***

“It’s like a cycle. It’s either me or my sister. I don’t mind. But I don’t like it when my father hit my sister.” I was in deep thought. His story sounded like something that you watch in drama but to think that it really happened to him was beyond my imagination. He’s a strong person. “Hey, you’re still with me, right?” “Uh…yeah. I told you that I’ll listen, right?” He smiled. “It’s nice to have someone to listen to my problem. I feel relieved. Thank you.” Meeting Taehyung introduced me to my undiscovered self. I am not just a bystander. I am now his saver, that’s what he told me.

 

“Hey, thinking about me?” I turned to the familiar voice. Taehyung. But he looked much better than before. It’s been a week. I hope everything became better for him during that period. “As expected, you’re here in convenience store for some snacks.” I started to question myself, “Am I that easy to be found?” “Hey, let’s buy some more of this thing.” Taehyung shoved the triangle kimbap in front of my face and shook it. “Excuse me, I’m the one who pay.” He pleaded, “For my friend. He likes this a lot.” 

 

As expected from Taehyung. That was bizarre. Why can’t we meet normally like the others? And now, I was being dragged by him to meet his friend at the park. Of course, unplanned. “There’s something off about Jimin lately.” Apparently, Taehyung and Jimin were classmates. They were very close to each other like brothers. If there’s anything wrong happened to either one of them, they knew it. “You see that person sitting on the bench? That’s Jimin. Now, go.” I was puzzled. Taehyung’s a man full of surprises! “Me, alone?” I pointed to myself, then him. “Then, what’s your role?” “I’ll be watching you guys from afar. Make sure Jimin doesn’t know that this is a planned meeting. Don’t forget to give him the triangle kimbap, he loves it. It’ll break the ice.” “You-” “I’m genius, right?” He laughed. You tricked me into this, Tae. You’ll get it from me next time.

 

  I squinted my eyes towards Taehyung. He mouthed, “Fighting!”. Seriously, Tae? I slowly made my way towards the bench, trying to look natural. “I-is there anyone sitting next to you?” He looked surprised. He seemed to be in a deep thought. Taehyung’s right. There’s something off about Jimin. I tried again, maybe he didn’t hear me just now. “May I sit next to you?” “Yes. Please, take a seat.” This couldn’t get any more awkward. None of us wanted to start the conversation. I saw Taehyung from afar, making a hand gesture of eating something. Ah…I got it. Alright, it’s time for ice breaking.“H-hey. Do you want some?” I offered him the kimbap, his favourite food. There’s no way he would reject it, right? At that moment, I swore I saw something different in him when I mentioned about food. He’s happy. Food makes everyone happy, isn’t it? “I d-don’t know which one do you like…so, feel free to choose.” “I’ll choose this.” He smiled. Beef kimbap, good choice. He took his first bite and I did nothing but only staring at him, trying to figure out something about him. What’s his problem? “Hey, thank you…uh…” Lol. I don’t even introduce myself. “It’s Haru. Lee Haru.” “Thanks, Haru. Actually, I like all of the kimbap but I like this the most.” He motioned the kimbap in his hand. I knew it, Jimin. Taehyung told me. “Oh, by the way I’m Park Jimin.” That one, I knew it too. “Jimin?” “Yes?” “Are you…okay?” 

 

“You see through me, huh?” He smiled. But the smile faded quickly after that. “I have depression.” Jimin stared at me, waiting for me to reply. “You’re not going to give advice to me? Like those people? Belittle me? Tell me that I have to be strong or whatever…” “Me? I don’t give advice but I can assure you that I am a good listener.” Jimin giggle. “Tae is enough. But now, there’s you.” Hey, what do you mean? Taehyung and I…we’re not the same! “You guys are different from the others, you know? Tae always listen to me. Tae tell me to believe myself. He tell me to be me.” “You do not need to be told to be strong. You are a strong person. Each one of us. I can’t say that I understand your situation because that’s the biggest lie.” Okay, that came out of nowhere. “I second that.” It’s good to know that Jimin started to get comfortable around me. Slowly, we get into his story. Together. 

 

***

 

Jimin’s story:

 

Park Jimin. 18 years old. At one glance, he looked like a normal student leading a happy normal life. But as you got to know him, you would realise that he is battling with something. Jimin has depression. It started when he was in middle school. It was the feeling of insecurity at first. That’s normal. That’s nothing. That’ s what the adults said. No help was being offered to support him. People just…watched him like any other bystanders. Jimin went to an art school with Taehyung and he’s very well known there as an excellent modern dancer. Success didn’t come in one night. He had been practising throughout the years, sharpening his skills and improving his movements. Of course, with more success, comes more expectations. Expectation sometimes kills you. Jimin entered a national dance competition, representing his school and he got second place. That’s something that your parents, teachers and friends should be proud of. But not for Jimin’s. “You should’ve practice.” “I did.” “Then, practice harder! You could’ve get the first place!” Jimin felt betrayed. He did practice. Even harder than before. They did not understand. They were not there. They did not see his competitors, Hoseok especially. It’s not that he hated Hoseok, in fact, he looked up to him. Being able to dance together in the national competition with him alone, is an honour. Hoseok got the upper hand this time compared to him which landed Hoseok in the first place. “I’ve been practising crazily every night after school, and yet…they do not appreciate me. I got second place…isn’t that good enough?”

 

***

“You love dancing?” Jimin laughed. “After what I’ve said, you asked me whether I love to dance or not? Are you really listening, Haru?” “I’m serious. Do you love what you do? If not, you better stop. If you love to dance, keep dancing. If that’s what make you happy, just do it.” I paused. “Because it’ll be more sad if you’re not doing what you want to but you still doing it and yet, they do not appreciate.” Jimin seemed to contemplate but I guessed he decided to say what’s on his mind. “I love it. I really, really love to dance. But I started to hate it because their main priority is to win, not to enjoy and appreciate the dance. It’s all about recognition, pride and popularity. I don’t like it.” I smiled. That’s a relief. At least, he loved what he did.  

  

Taehyung signalled me to leave. Good timing, though. It’s already 6.00 pm. My parents would probably looked out for me. I mean, who went to convenience store for an hour? “I have to go. It’s nice to meet you, Jimin.” “Already?” I nodded. I walked away and waved him a goodbye before leaving him at the park. “Thank you!” He waved back at me and smiled. “Haru, say thank you to Taehyung too! I knew it! He was here, right?” I giggled. Jimin knew it all along. 

 

“Unconciously, she gave me advice.” Taehyung raised his eyebrow. “I thought she only LISTEN.” “That’s why I said UNCONCIOUSLY. Listen to me when I’m talking, Tae.” Taehyung scoffed. “I’m not her. What do you expect?” Jimin smacked his head. “Thanks, bro.” Taehyung winced. “Not me. Haru.” They eyed her shadow. The shadow who brought light to them.

 

A/N: I don't know about the setting. I copy it from microsoft word...anyway, this is just a draft. gonna edit this all over again.