Final

I've been waiting

          I had been waiting for such a long time. Finally, Seung Hyun's military service came to an end. I was eager to see him, wondering if he had missed me as much as I did. I had longed for him, for my best friend. We had shared wonderful moments together. Seung Hyun had always been by my side. I had tried my best to support him throughout his time at the army. I hoped my letters had reached his heart.

          So many families were there, waiting for the beloved son to come back, and I was waiting for my crush. I had been in love with my best friend for several years. And he knew nothing about it. I had tried to give him a few hints in my letters by telling him how much I missed him, how boring my life was without him.

 

          I felt a tingle in my body as I spotted Seung Hyun in the crowd. I waved at him and he showed me his most beautiful smile. I felt alive again. He was standing a few steps away from me. I walked faster and I was soon by his side. He wrapped his arms around my waist to bring me closer. I hugged him back, resting my head on his shoulder, and smelling his sweet perfume. I had missed him so much.

 

"Oppa, I'm so happy !" I whispered.

"I missed you ____." he said, hugging me tight. "I missed you so much !"

 

          My heart raced as I listened to his confession. He had never been so sweet before. He used to be a mysterious guy who never talked about his feelings. I was wondering if it was a dream or if it was true. His hands moved to my lower back as he took a step back. He was about to say something when a guy cut him off.

 

"Hey Seung Hyun ! Is she your girlfriend ?"

"Wow.. So she's the one who wrote your precious letters." another man said.

"She's really beautiful !" the first one added.

"Of course she is. That's my girl."

 

          Seung Hyun messed my hair while talking. I looked at him questioningly. His friends thought that I was his girlfriend, and he didn't deny it. I felt my face redden. I was convinced that it was only a dream. The one I knew didn't have feelings for me. He wouldn't have told his comrades that he was in a relationship, especially when it wasn't the truth. I was intrigued by his behavior.

 

"You're really lucky to have her."

"I am." Seung Hyun said. "Well, I'll see you later. I have to take my girlfriend on a date."

 

          He smiled at them before guiding me away. I looked at our hands locked together and I followed him diligently. We walked silently for a while. I enjoyed being with him again. We had been separated for two years but my feelings had never changed. Even though he had been away from me, I had always loved him.

          We walked to my car in the parking lot. I grabbed the keys in my bag and got to the passenger's seat. Seung Hyun sat beside me. I was surprised when he rested his hand on my knee.

 

"What are you doing ?" I asked.

"What are you talking about ?" he said.

"You're.. weird."

"Why ?"

 

          He started laughing and I felt my heart skip a beat.

 

"You've never been like that to me. And.. when did I become your girlfriend ?"

"The guys assumed you were my girlfriend because of your letters." he explained.

"You should have told them the truth."

"Why would I do that ?" he stuck his tongue out. "Aren't you happy to be my special one ?"

"Come on Oppa. It's not like I'm your real girlfriend."

"What are you then ?"

"Your friend. Your best friend." I replied.

 

          He grabbed my hand. My gaze was fixed on him as he slowly pressed his lips on my hand. Seung Hyun had changed a lot. In the past, he didn't like skinship. And he had never been more than a friend. I wondered if it was the effect of the military service. He had been away from his relatives for a long time. He had probably missed us.

 

"I've missed you." he whispered. "It has been so hard without you."

 

          His lips were caressing my hand as he talked.

 

"Oppa.." I mumbled.

"____, have you missed me ?"

"Of course !"

"Have you.. have you met someone while I was away ?" he stuttered. "Do you have a boyfriend or a crush on someone ?"

 

          I smiled as I recalled what I had told myself the last time I had seen him. It was time for me to confess.

 

"To be honest, there is someone I like." I started. "He's only a friend but I like him a lot. He's so nice to me. And he is very handsome too."

"Does he love you too ?"

"I'm not sure. That's why I want to confess." I revealed.

"When will you do that ?"

"I don't know yet. I'm afraid he might not like me back."

"He would be stupid.." he groaned.

"What ?"

"He's stupid if he doesn't love a wonderful girl like you."

"Aigoo.. I'm not used to your sweet words." I blushed.

"Do you think I can talk to him before you confess ?"

"Why ?"

"I just want to know more about him. To know if he'll be able to take care of you."

"Okay.." I agreed. "Shall we go now ?"

 

          The drive to the nearest park had been quiet. Seung Hyun had told me about his comrades and the lifestyle within the army. He had also listened to all of his favorite songs, using my hand as a microphone. When we finally reached the park, I felt relieved. Those feelings I had been hiding for several years were growing. I wanted to let them out. 

 

          We sat on a bench together and Seung Hyun looked around us.

 

"Are we supposed to meet him here ?"

"Yes." I answered.

"Aww.. I thought you were just joking.." he frowned. "I told the guys I was taking you out on a date. Instead, I have to meet your lover. You're heartless."

"Am I ? Why ?"

"Because I'm your boyfriend." he grinned.

"You've never asked me to be your girlfriend." I teased.

 

          He sighed and glanced at our surroundings again.

 

"Is he coming or not ?"

 

          I couldn't look away from his face. He felt sad, I could see it in his eyes. He had thought that I didn't have a boyfriend, that I wasn't in love. Little did he know, he was the one who had caught my heart. 

 

"He's already here." I whispered.

 

          Seung Hyun stood up immediately.

 

"I can't see him anywhere."

"But I can. And he's adorable !" I added.

 

          He looked at me as I was smiling like a child. His hand made its way to my cheek, then, to my forehead.

 

"Is there something wrong with you ?" he asked. "Are you imagining things ?"

 

          I giggled while taking his hand. Then, I stood up too.

 

"I'm not." I started. "I'm in love with someone. But I'm not sure he feels the same way. We have known each other for a long time. That's why I think he only sees me as a friend." I took a deep breath. "Today, I've decided to confess. I can't hide my feelings anymore."

"Why haven't you told him about it before ?"

 

          The brightness of his eyes made my heart beat fast. He had understood what I had meant. He knew he was the one.

 

"Because I was afraid. I didn't want to lose him." I explained.

"Why.. now ?"

"He just came back. And while he was away, my feelings lingered. That's why.. I can't hide it anymore."

"Is he in love with you ?" he asked.

"I don't know. Is he in love with me ?" I repeated.

 

          A sweet smile appeared on his face as he leaned closer. I closed my eyes and waited for his delicate move. However, he pressed his lips against my nose.

 

"I also want to confess to a girl." he whispered.

"Who is she ?"

"My best friend. She's amazing and I really like her."

"Why have you waited for so long ?" I asked.

"Because I was afraid she would fall in love with someone else while I was completing my military service."

"Is she still single ?"

"She is." he said.

 

          I cupped his face and looked at him playfully.

 

"Is she in love with you ?"

"I don't know. Is she in love with me ?"

 

          His words died on my lips as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I had been waiting for this lovely moment. My best friend, my crush, was giving me a tender kiss. I lost control when he parted my lips with his tongue. I ran my fingers to his nape as his tongue fought with mine. It was so hot. I had never been kissed like this.

         He pulled away slowly and rested his forehead against mine.

 

"____, I've got my answer."

"Is she in love with you ?"

"She is. And she's my girlfriend now."

"Great !" I giggled. "I've confessed too."

"How was it ?"

"I think he likes me." I replied with a smile.

 

          Seung Hyun laughed and pinched my cheek. Then, he gave me a sweet peck.

 

"He doesn't like you. He loves you." he corrected. "I love you."

"I love you too.."

 

          I closed my eyes again as Seung Hyun pulled me in his embrace for another kiss.