Cynosure

Cafuné

Spring hazily wafted into summer and the whole neighbourhood had thrown their windows open to let in the breeze while it lasted. The air was slowly thickening with humidity and the faint miasma of hot tarmac floated up from the road surfaces. Where perhaps there should have been the chirping of cicadas or crickets, there was the chatter of students out enjoying the warm weather.

Except for Jongup, who was slouched on the couch with a mouthful of crisps and a controller in hand. He was slowly building himself a mansion and gardens with the materials he'd mined in the game and was fully prepared to spend all his free time over the next few days doing just this. Normally he'd have his best friend help, but as it turned out his best friend was now more occupied with his new boyfriend. Jongup was being absolutely honest when he said he wasn't bothered by this – in fact he was quite happy to see the younger boy do something more exciting than lounge around the house all day – but it did mean he now found himself alone far more often than he was used to.

At least this way I can level up faster than him and kick his , Jongup thought smugly.

A knock at the door drew him from his focus on counting bricks and his gaze shifted to watch Junhong bond down the stairs of their shared house and nearly collide with the front door before scrambling to open it. To no one's surprise, Youngjae – Junhong's boyfriend – was stood outside. To Jongup's surprise, Daehyun – Youngjae's best friend – was stood beside him. It wasn't that he was opposed to the guy, but the few times they'd met Daehyun had been loud and a bit too friendly for what Jongup was used to.

“I'm nearly ready, just give me a few minutes!” Junhong called, inviting the two indoors before rushing back upstairs.
“You'll take ages, let me help you. Wait here, Daehyun.” Youngjae quickly followed his boyfriend up, leaving his best friend stood in the hallway.

Daehyun looked around for a moment, a mild pleasant smile on his face, before spotting Jongup.

Who just ditches their friend in someone else's house? He wondered. But then, those two don'treally think much further than each other sometimes.

Jongup turned his attention back to the game, starting to count in his head how many blocks high he'd need to make the domed roof. He was in the middle of starting to work out the pattern he'd need to get the shape right when a weight on the cushion of the couch made him shift slightly and break him from his train of thought. He glanced up to spot Daehyun leaning on the corner of the couch, watching the screen.

“I've been eyeing up this game. Is it any good?” Daehyun asked good-naturedly.

“If it wasn't I wouldn't be playing.”

Daehyun snorted. “Good point. You seem like a guy with good taste in games.”

“Thanks...”

“What's the gameplay like?”

Jongup sighed internally, realising that Daehyun wasn't going to lose interest any time soon. He roped around on the couch for the second controller and held it out. “Try it out.”

There was a small pause where Daehyun was surprised, before gleefully taking the controller and dropping down on the couch beside Jongup, knocking their knees together. “Ah, thank you!” He chimed as Jongup signed in the second player.

“Your on Junhong's character right now so you have his items, he won't mind if you use them.”

“Like this?” Daehyun asked, smashing a hole in the wall that Jongup had been working on.

Jongup stared at him. “Obviously not.”

Daehyun was laughing. “Ah, it's okay! I can replace it, right?”

“Wha- No, not like that! Those aren't in the same pattern I was making, they're not even the same material!” Jongup rushed to fix the mistake. “Don't just hit any button or you might ruin all my work.”

“You seriously built all this yourself?”

“Yes!”

“Wow... That's so cool.”

Jongup gave the older boy an exasperated look. “Am I going to have to teach you everything about this game?”

Daehyun's eyes lit up and he grinned. “Please do!”

“Right, well first-”

“We're ready!” Youngjae called loudly as he and Junhong bounded down the stairs, interrupting the two boys on the game.

“Ah, just when I was about to work this game out.” Daehyun sighed heavily.

His best friend snorted. “Well fine, you can stay here if you want and we'll go into town without you.”

“The doughnut stand calls to me,” Daehyun replied, putting a hand to his stomach and patting it.

“If you want you can stay and keep playing and when we come back we'll bring a box of doughnuts for both of you?” Junhong offered.

Youngjae looked at him. “Will we?”

Daehyun's eyes widened. “Are you serious?”

“Yes.”

“Babe, what are-” Youngjae began to ask, but cut off when the younger gave him a meaningful look.

“Well, in that case I'll stay here and play with Jonguppie and eagerly await the doughnut delivery duo!” Daehyun gave them a thumbs up and threw his arm around Jongup's shoulders.

Jongup looked at Junhong, raising his hands in a 'what the hell?' gesture as he was half throttled by the enthusiasm of the older boy.

Junhong gave him a mischievous smile in return.

Prick.

The boyfriends waved them goodbye as they headed out, leaving an excited Daehyun and thoroughly betrayed and confused Jongup alone with the game.

“So, you're gonna show me all the ropes, right?” Daehyun beamed.

Jongup felt any resentment being obliterated by the sheer excitement radiating from the older boy. He found himself smiling back. “Sure, but I'm pretty advanced so you better be prepared.”

Several poorly built huts, mansion damages and monster attacks later Jongup and Daehyun were laughing as Daehyun found his character trapped in a glitched part of the game.

“Just jump! If you jump it should dislodge you!” Jongup's sides hurt from wheezing.

“I tried! But it doesn't work!” Daehyun's eyes were wet at the corners.

“How did you get there?”

“I don't know!”

“Wow, you two are so noisy,” Junhong said as he walked into the room, a box of doughnuts in his hands, followed by Youngjae who also had one.

“He's glitched himself into a wall,” Jongup cackled, pointing at the screen.

“Good to see you had fun then.” Youngjae rolled his eyes.

“How much do I owe you for the food?” Daehyun asked, patting himself down as he searched for his wallet.

“Don't bother, Youngjae got one of them for free because he's pretty,” Junhong said smugly.

“Well in that case how much do I owe?” Jongup asked.

“I figured it counted as the money I owe you for the pizza last week.”

Jongup raised his hands in the air in silent praise of his fortune.

“Dae, it's pretty late, we should head out. Your house is further than mine.”

The oldest boy checked his watch with a frown, before his brows jumped up. “What? It's that late already? Damn, I have to get my essay done by tomorrow!” He turned to Jongup and put a hand on his shoulder. “It's been really fun, but now it's up to you to unstick the character.”

“What? You're just running out now without even cleaning up your mess?”

“Jonguppie. If I do it I'll make it worse and ruin the whole game because we don't know how deep that glitch goes. I'm still new to the game and problems like this would normally put a player off. You have to be the one to save the game and make sure it runs smoothly so that I will keep wanting to play. Only someone as advanced as you can do it.”

Jongup blinked. “Okay?”

“Great!” Daehyun patted his shoulder and stood, snatching the doughnuts off Youngjae and bounding to the door. “Come on, Jae, we need to rush out!”

Youngjae rolled his eyes and gave Junhong a quick kiss before following after his friend. “Bye, catch you around soon!”

“Bye! Get home safely!” Junhong called after the two as they left. He closed the door and turned to see Jongup frowning.

“That's absolute bull,” the dancer finally concluded after extensively thinking over what Daehyun had said,

Junhong laughed.