{ 03 }

In The Shadows

{ 03 }

 

Bobby was whistling a happy tune while dressing up. After almost a week of processing his papers, he was finally enrolled in Ilsung University where Chaeyoung was studying. When she told him about her circumstances, he immediately understood how important studying was for Chaeyoung and he didn’t want to disturb her. He even held back from texting her so that he won’t be a nuisance.

 

“Ahhh, she’d surely be surprised when she sees me there!” He excitedly babbled before taking his phone and typing up a message for her.

 

To: Chaeyoung-ah

Hey, you doing okay? :)

 

“Bobby, you’re a genius!” He praised himself. “I’m sure she won’t even suspect that I’ll be in school in a while.”

 

He went back to fixing his clothes in front of the mirror when his phone buzzed. He dived into the bed in enthusiasm only to scowl at the response.

 

From: Chaeyoung-ah

Who is this?

 

His fingers rapidly sent another reply.

 

To: Chaeyoung-ah

Heol, did you delete my number?! ㅠㅠ

 

“Aish, what is this?!” He asked himself, childishly pouting while staring at his phone. “Did she hate me last time? Because I suddenly left? So what, she already deleted my number?! Aishhhh why are you like this, Chaeyoung-ah?!?!” He howled in combination of annoyance and frustration, falling back on his bed and wrinkling the clothes he took great care into choosing.

 

Fifteen minutes passed without another reply from her, and Bobby decided to take a mature way of action.

 

He decided to flood her with messages.

 

To: Chaeyoung-ah

Chaeyoung-ah why are you so mean ㅠ

I can’t believe you didn’t save my number +_+

It’s me Kim Jiwon!!!!!

Bobby Kim!!!!

Ahhh take pity in my poor soul and reply ㅠ

Chaeyoung why are you so mean ㅠ

Why are you doing this to me ㅠ.ㅠ

CHAEYOUNG ARE YOU MAD AT ME

Please don’t be mad at me ;;

What did I do Chaeyoung-ah

Whatever it is, I’m very sorry (_ _)

I solemnly apologize

Chaeyoung????

Chaeyoungggg ㅠㅠ

 

Feeling anxious, Bobby didn’t waste any more time and went to Ilsung University. He only realized his grave mistake when he was already inside the spacious campus: How would I find Chaeyoung?! It’s like finding a needle in stacks of hay by myself!

 

He walked over to the first student that he came across. “Uh, excuse me?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you know a student named Ahn Chaeyoung? Her hair is black and straight,” he placed his hands on either side of his head for emphasis.

 

“Ahn Chaeyoung?” The student parroted. He does know a certain Ahn Chaeyoung from the College of Arts and Letters but he’s quite sure that the popular girl wasn’t sporting black hair like what the other male was describing.

 

Bobby nodded excitedly before speaking once more. “She’s also wearing huge glasses and doesn’t wear short skirts.”

 

The male student cocked his head to the side, frowning in confusion before his face lit up with a smug smile. “Ah! That Chaeyoung?!” He laughed before continuing. “Try looking at the Arts building. Just go straight ahead that path and you might see her there.”

 

Bobby nodded with a smile. “Thank you!” He stated before running down the path that the student pointed him to.

 

Meanwhile, the student was laughing to himself. “Ahn Chaeyoung? Ahhh, either that guy’s a bit deaf or Park was disguising herself as Ahn Chaeyoung!” He once again cackled wholeheartedly before shaking his head. “That guy would be in for a surprise when he sees the obvious discrepancy between that Chaeyoung and the Chaeyoung.” He chuckled before walking away.

 

Bobby, on the other hand, was nervous. He checked his phone a dozen times but there was still no reply from Chaeyoung. All sorts of things and reasons were running on his mind when he saw Chaeyoung’s familiar frame with her back to him. It was easy to recognize that the three boys in front of her were harassing her by her obvious discomfort. She was hanging her head low while the boys were laughing and pushing her tiny frame.

 

Rage enveloped him at the sight of these disgusting people picking on Chaeyoung. Is this the reason why she doesn’t want me to meet with her again? He angrily thought as he ran towards them, calling out the girl’s name. “CHAEYOUNG-AH!!!”

 

He saw her stiffen at the sound of his voice while the three in front of her were curiously staring at him. As soon as he reached the four of them, he instantly grabbed Chaeyoung’s arm and hid her behind him. “What’s your business with this girl?”

 

The three boys looked at each other before bursting into laughter. “Oh? Look at that, Park has a friend now! How touching!” They continued to tease.

 

The anger seething in his every fiber was growing by the minute. His other hand was already and he was ready to punch the living daylights out of the three when he felt a soft touch on his closed fist. “L–let’s just go, Bobby-yah,” Chaeyoung spoke in a slight manner. Her voice was trembling a bit and he doesn’t want to stress her more so he restrained himself.

 

“Stay away from her,” he last said to the three, with his voice dripping with anger and contempt. He then turned and guided Chaeyoung away from the group.

 

They found a secluded park bench and the two of them sat down. No one was initiating conversation and they let the silence fill in the gaps.

 

“When we met last time, I noticed that you were avoiding the topic about yourself.” Bobby began after a long stretch of silence. “Is this it, Chaeyoung? You didn’t want me to see this happening to you?”

 

He took her silence as affirmation, making him sigh in defeat. “Chaeyoung-ah, why would you hide this from me? We’ve always been together, right? We can do this. I can help you.” He turned to her, placing a light touch on her shoulder. “You’ll never have to hide from me, Ahn Chaeyoung.”

 

“Rosé,” she suddenly spoke. She tilted her head up, shyly meeting his eyes. “Call me Rosé.”

 

“Huh? Why Rosé?”

 

“Uhm, well, uh, w–when your family moved abroad, we did too. I was in Australia for a while and that’s what they called me there.” She had a peaceful expression on her face while speaking, as if memories from Australia make her feel better.

 

“Sure, Rosé!” He eagerly agreed. If calling her Rosé would make her momentarily forget about the crap she’s taking from the people in this university, he’d gladly do it. “That’s a beautiful name, it suits you.”

 

Blush instantaneously coated her cheeks and he chuckled in amusement. He wants to save Rosé, and he’ll do it. He’ll stay by her side no matter what it takes to help her.

 

“Ah right, did you delete my phone number?! You suddenly didn’t reply to my texts!” He sulked childishly, a show to divert Rosé’s attention to something else.

 

“Right, my phone!” She exclaimed. “M–my phone contacts were accidentally d–deleted, so…” She trailed off.

 

“Eh? Is that so? Ahhhh then why didn’t you just reply earlier? I was so nervous coming here, you know.”

 

“Because when you texted me, I was in class! My professor caught me texting and then she confiscated my phone. I’m waiting ‘til 5 o’clock to get it back.”

 

He snorted. “Aish, you don’t even know how to text secretly in class!” He teased lightheartedly.

 

There was a soft smile on Rosé’s face when she answered. “Well, I’ve never had anyone to text in class before.”

 

Her response quieted him. Bobby was unsure how to respond to such an intimate admission which Rosé said so casually.

 

Rosé laughed before facing him. “Aigoo, did that bother you? I’m sorry!”

 

“Nah, I’m sorry, Rosé-yah,” for not being here when you needed me, he mutely added on his mind. He wouldn’t want to make her think that he’s only staying by her side because of pity. It was evident that Rosé doesn’t need pity. She needs a friend she can count on. And I’ll make sure to be that person for you, Rosé-yah. I’ll be here by your side.

 

Her brows furrowed in confusion. “What are you sorry for?”

 

He grinned to lighten the atmosphere. “Because I got your phone confiscated.”

 

She only smiled before waving a hand in front of him. “It’s nothing. I’ll just be scolded and my professor’s view of me will differ, but that’s fine,” she faked dramatics, but a smile was already making its way on her lips.

 

“Yahhh are you guilt tripping me Rosé?!” He whined, but he was laughing, making her smile turn into a full-blown laughter.

 

“Okay!” Bobby said, standing up. “Since it’s my fault, let’s eat dinner after you claim your phone back. Deal?”

 

“I was just kidding though–”

 

He cut her off. “Is it a deal or a deal?”

 

She smiled while shaking her head. “Fine, deal.”