JaeYong (Jaehyun X Taeyong) – Mask

Unexpected

2nd Story : JaeYong (Jaehyun X Taeyong) – Mask

 

Taeyong is the kind of man who’d say yes to every confession, even marriage proposals – if that possible. Meanwhile Jaehyun is the opposite. Jaehyun’s famous line to every confession he got is “Thank you”, but it doesn’t mean he has accepted you.

Jaehyun simply never interested in anyone. Or maybe that’s only what people think.

People always wear a mask after all, or persona – as how Psychology major students call it. Yeah, whatever you call it! Everyone has different persona to every occasion, to every person he/she interacts with. So, Jaehyun thinks, why not?! Let people think and talk anything about him. It doesn’t matter.

Jaehyun always believes that what everyone shows to him is only the shell, the flesh, the mask, not the heart. It’s only the surface. Superficial.

Jaehyun thought Taeyong is no different. Every fiber in Taeyong’s body screams lie.

Taeyong’s sweet smile is only a lie, a mask to cover his evil deeds. Taeyong’s soothing voice is only a trap, to lure everyone into his deadly maze, trapping everyone around his fingers – unable to find the way out unless he’s got bored with them. Taeyong’s polite and gentle attitude is only a camouflage, so everyone would feel safe around him, trusting him.

Jaehyun knew it all since the first time the gray haired man laid his eyes on Jaehyun. Jaehyun always believes that everyone is just the same. Everyone is wearing the masks. There’s no exception. Life had taught him about it, hardly and painfully.

So, when Taeyong offered him a friendship, Jaehyun was only say “Thank you”. But it didn’t mean he had accepted the gray haired man’s offer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Taeyong is the persistent one. Maybe because Taeyong is too full of himself, Jaehyun thinks. So Jaehyun only ignored the older man, like usual.

“Why are you always saying thank you to everyone who confesses to you without really dating them? Or at least having fun with them?”

Taeyong had been following Jaehyun since Jaehyun walked out of the business and management building, rushing to his car in the parking lot, afraid if he came to his company’s board meeting even for one minute late, his father would give him punishment.

Hearing the word “punishment” is scaring the hell out of him. Receiving punishment from his father means his life would be scarier than the death. He had been trained like a dog. Like how Pavlov trained the dogs in his experiment.

Pavlov used the bells. Jaehyun’s father used the “punishment” word.

Punishment had made Jaehyun’s cat got killed. Punishment had made Jaehyun’s only friend being deported back to Thailand. Punishment had made him drifted away from his younger sister. Punishment had made his biological mother loose her job and also banned to see him.

Punishment is a scary word for Jaehyun.

“Why are you always saying thank you to everyone who confesses to you without really dating them? Or at least having fun with them?” Taeyong asked those questions again for the nth times. Jaehyun had lost the count. The gray haired man would never stop before Jaehyun responding to him.

Sometimes Jaehyun would ignore Taeyong completely, drive away of Taeyong like he didn’t hear anything. On the other time, Jaehyun would reply Taeyong’s question in an instance, but it’s really rare, only happened whenever Jaehyun’s energy was too drained out, too tired to listen to Taeyong's non-stop questions.

Jaehyun often ignores Taeyong’s question in purpose as well. Counting how many times Tayeong had said it. Curious, how many times Taeyong would repeat the question until he got an answer. Amaze, how come the gray haired man never getting tired in getting an answer – or in the deeper sight and meaning is chasing after him.

Taeyong is so persistent. Jaehyun hates it.

Taeyong is majoring in Architecture, Jaehyun’s dream since he was kid. Jaehyun hates Taeyong because of it.

Taeyong is in the same league as Jaehyun, but Tayeong’s parents never took control over his life. Jaehyun hates Taeyong even more.

Jaehyun stopped in front of his white Lamborghini, turned around, facing Taeyong. He was composed. Like usual. Taeyong gave him a warm wide smile with twinkling cute eyes. Fake! Jaehyun thought.

“Then why are you always accepting everyone; using them; then throw them away after you’re getting bored with them; breaking their heart, soul, and maybe even their life?” It’s unusual. It’s the first time Jaehyun asked a question to Taeyong.

Taeyong’s smile grew wider. His twinkling eyes now was glistening even more, with surprised and happiness.

“So finally you decided to getting know me better?”

Jaehyun returned Taeyong’s teasing gaze with the cold one. “No. I’m just curious.”

“Curious is good, Whittie.” Taeyong leaned in closer, smirking proudly, arrogantly.

Jaehyun could smell Taeyong’s sweet and fresh scent, but it made him want to puke. Whittie? The pet name made Jaehyun’s blood boiled in disgust. Taeyong gave him a pet name. Taeyong thought Jaehyun as one of his possessions. Jaehyun wanted to throw up right onto Taeyong’s face!

Taeyong backed away, sensing the murderous aura in Jaehyun’s orbs, but his smile got more annoying, as if he thought he had the upper hand.

“Because everyone does the same for me.” Taeyong finally answered properly. But it only made Jaehyun confused.

“What do you mean?” Jaehyun frowned.

Taeyong laughed an empty laughter. His eyes were cold. The laugh sounded so sad. His orbs were piercing through Jaehyun’s soul in an uncomfortable way, reminding Jaehyun of someone, or maybe himself.

“It’s either you’re innocent or dumb, I can’t tell.” Taeyong flashed Jaehyun a half smirk. “Isn’t it obvious? Do you think people would still chase after me if I didn’t have this face? If I didn’t have my father’s wealth? If I was not popular? That’s how world works, Jaehyun. I didn’t say there isn’t any sincere one. Of course there’re some out there. But rare. And the chance of meeting one of them is zero. Why? Because I’ve been blocking my heart to search for the one. Just like you. You’ve been guarding up your heart too. Our life is similar, but we face it in a different way. We guard our own heart differently.”

Jaehyun’s eyes softened for a second, thinking that Taeyong was sincere with his words, but Taeyong’s next words were crushing it in an instance.

“So why do you still not accepting my friendship?”

Taeyong manipulates everyone around him for his own benefit and satisfaction. Jaehyun suddenly was aware of it again. He scolded himself silently in his head. He shouldn’t be swayed with Taeyong’s sweet talks. He shouldn’t feel the empathy towards the older man!

 “Why not just befriend me? It’s better than making me your enemy later, when the time has come. I’m sure you’re aware of our future. You might think my life is so much better than yours, and my father is so much kinder than yours, but you’ve been wrong. My future has been decided since before I was born. Just like yours. You may never say it out loud, but I know you hate me because I study architecture, not business and management like you. Stop deluding yourself, Jae, I’ve graduated from business school 3 years ago. Architecture is… my hobby, my escape, whatever you call it!”

Jaehyun’s eyes widened. He never thought about it before! Jaehyun opened his mouth to talk, but Taeyong stopped him.

“Listen! I hate my life, okay?! Just like how you hate yours. But, like I said earlier, we’re facing our hell in the different way. I chose to be the free spirit, the jerk, the heartbreaker, the rude charming boy who seems always wasting his time. Damn, I thought you can see through me since our life is similar! But I’m wrong. You’re no different than other people. You’re judging me too. The different part is, you never use me.”

Taeyong turned around, but didn’t take his step further. It’s the first time for Jaehyun, seeing the furious gaze in the grey haired man. Taeyong is famous for his charming smile. Nobody ever saw his angry and hurt state.

“You might think I like you, Jaehyun. Boy, you’re wrong. I ing hate you! Moreover when I know how our future would be. I only offered you a friendship, to make our future got easier. I thought it would be more comfortable for both of us, spending our time together as a friend, instead of two people who hates each other because of the ing arranged marriage!”

Taeyong heard Jaehyun gasped, so he turned around, facing Jaehyun again, but this time there’s no smile, nor frown, just blank.

“Maybe you’re really both dumb and innocent. I’m the Lee. Didn’t your father tell you anything about your future marriage?”

“He did.” Jaehyun’s voice was weak. “I always know about the arranged marriage thing. But I never know to which family our company would be merged with.”

Taeyong laughed an empty laugh again. “Merged with? And here I am being the delusional one, thinking that you might be different with any other spoiled brat kids out there.”

Taeyong took a deep sigh before continuing his talk. “Seems like I’ve been over valuing you, Jung Jaehyun.”

Jaehyun’s conscience was suddenly engulfed with the guilt when he saw Taeyong’s bright brown orbs were glistening with the tears.

“If you want our future is filled with hatred, then fine. I’ll do it. I’ll stop following you like the dumb puppy! I’ll stop offering you the friendship! See you in front of the altar 3 years from now, my future husband. Thank you for adding the hell to my life.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ******* ~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Since that day, Taeyong had stopped following Jaehyun. Jaehyun should feel glad because of it. Finally he got his peaceful days back. But he couldn’t stop himself from thinking of what Taeyong said that day.

Taeyong would become his husband in the future. Taeyong wants a peaceful future with him, by being his friend.

“I thought it would be more comfortable for both of us, spending our time together as a friend, instead of two people who hates each other because of the ing arranged marriage!”

It’s so damn right!

“Maybe I’m a dumb, after all.” Jaehyun mumbled. His heart clenched tight when he glanced at Taeyong accidentally. Jaehyun smiled. But Taeyong ignored him.

Since that day, it’s Jaehyun’s turn to chase after Taeyong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *********** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A year had passed. Jaehyun still couldn’t call Taeyong as his friend, but they’re okay now, and the most important thing is… they don’t hate each other.

Taeyong is still being Taeyong. Loves to play around, sleeping around, having fun with anyone, careless, fearless.

Jaehyun is still being Jaehyun. He cope his stressful life with his own way. No fun way, as Taeyong called it.

Jaehyun and Taeyong are too different from each other. Their traits. Their point of view of this world. Their coping strategy.

But they found similarities when they looked at each other for a long time without saying anything. Just understanding.

Jaehyun always comes to Taeyong’s place whenever he couldn’t bear his hell anymore. Vice versa.

They found comfort in each other embrace. They found home in each other’s smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *********** ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

In their 2nd year of friendship, the shocking bomb finally coming to the business world. The marriage, which is actually just the alias name of the merge and acquisition of Jung and Lee group.

 It’s not shocking them anymore, since they had anticipated it.

Jaehyun was so thankful. At least he’d get married to a friend. He was sure Taeyong feel the same.

Jaehyun had promised Taeyong that even after the marriage Taeyong would still free doing anything he wants, that Taeyong would still become his best friend, and no need to pretend as a husband, at least when they’re alone.

Jaehyun aware very well, Taeyong loves the freedom. Relationship and marriage makes him sick, only reminding him of his painful memory of his mother.

Jaehyun was sure Taeyong feels happy to be married with him. Because Jaehyun is Taeyong’s friend, and he would give Taeyong the freedom like what Taeyong always yearns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ************* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

3 months before the marriage, Jaehyun often got anxiety whenever his father spies on Taeyong and him. The problem is… Jaehyun’s father only believed that his son’s relationship is good after witnessing it with his own eyes.

Jaehyun’s hand looked awkward whenever he's holding Taeyong’s hand. Everyone could notice it, including his father.

At the family dinner, their “fake lovely relationship” could be noticed. It’s not because of Taeyong, as the grey haired man is a player, so he could act lovey dovey with anyone so well and easily. The problem is Jaehyun. He became stiff whenever Taeyong interlaced their fingers, or simply put his palm on Jaehyun’s thigh when their father discussing business with them. The worse is… when Taeyong kissed Jaehyun fully on the lips in front of their fathers before they took the leave.

“Do you guys fight?” Jaehyun’s father noticed Jaehyun who had become a statue after Taeyong kissed him.

“Of course not, father. Jaehyun only has a lot of to think in his mind lately. He often daydreaming suddenly, like this.” Taeyong answered in Jaehyun’s place, giving Mr.Jung a charming and reassuring smile.

“Come on, Honey.” Taeyong was circling his arm around Jaehyun’s, smiling sweetly at the taller.

‘He’s wearing a mask.’ Jaehyun thought. ‘I was wearing my mask as well.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ************* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It’s 7 in the morning when Jaehyun suddenly barged into Taeyong’s apartment, only to be greeted with a stranger who’s sleeping ly on Taeyong’s bed. But Taeyong was nowhere to be found. Not in the bathroom, nor in the kitchen, nor in the rooftop. Nowhere.

The stranger opened his eyes when Jaehyun shook his shoulder a bit roughly.

“Where’s Taeyong?” Jaehyun asked. His voice was flat. So did his facial expression.

“Who are you?” The stranger asked him back, rubbing his eyes. “You’re not the guy from last night.”

“I’m that guy’s fiancé.”

“Oh.” The guy stood up abruptly, grabbing his clothes on the floor, wearing it, then ran for his life. Maybe he thought Jaehyun would beat him up to death or something similar like that.

Jaehyun heaved a deep sigh after the stranger left. He had no idea where Taeyong was at this moment. So he walked to the kitchen, making himself a cup of coffee.

“Jaehyun? Is that you? I saw your car outside.”

Jaehyun could hear Taeyong’s sweet voice. And a moment later, the grey haired man walked into the kitchen with a bright smile, bringing the big shopping bag in both of his hands. “Have you had breakfast? I bought hanwoo, pork belly, salmon, tteok, and...”

“Kiss me.”

“Huh?” Taeyong startled when suddenly Jaehyun had stood behind him, touching his waist, turning him around.

“Kiss me.” Jaehyun said it again. His voice was hoarse and weak. His eyes were wavering.

Taeyong frowned. “As a practice? So later when I kiss you again in front of your father you’ll get used to it?”

Jaehyun didn’t say anything. Taeyong was waiting for an answer.

Taeyong wants Jaehyun saying no, but Jaehyun said yes.

Taeyong wrapped his arms around Jaehyun’s neck, closed his eyes, tiptoeing, brushing his lips on Jaehyun’s soft lips, tasting Jaehyun, claiming Jaehyun, marking Jaehyun.

Jaehyun hugged Taeyong’s waist, pulling the shorter closer, pressing their bodies tighter. Taeyong’s lips were so velvety against his own. He melted into the kiss, kissing Taeyong back with the same eagerness as Taeyong’s.

They’re wearing the mask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ************* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A month before the marriage, Jaehyun met his friend, Ten, in Bangkok during his business trip. Jaehyun thought Ten would keep the secret. So he told Ten.

“I’m always wearing my mask in front of Taeyong, pretending to become his best friend. Pretending to be okay with our agreement for our marriage later. The truth is… I fall for him. I’m in love with him since he started being my friend. I’m so in love with Taeyong, madly, deeply. But he’s not. He will never fall for me. He loves the freedom. He would never return my feeling.”

Jaehyun wiped the tears on the corner of his eyes before the tears fell. “I’m so pathetic, Ten. I even used my father as an excuse, so Taeyong could kiss me. I’m an idiot. And when Taeyong kissed me, I was scared… of him leaving me. If I tell him the truth, if I take off this mask, I’m afraid Taeyong would leave me. ”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ********~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A month before the marriage, Taeyong visited his mother’s grave. It’s been long since the last time he came there.

“Mom, I wished you’re here, talking to me. I need you to tell me that what I’ve done is a good thing. I hate myself for being a manipulative man. I love Jaehyun. I always do, since the first time I saw him at high school. But he never returns my feeling. He even never noticed my presence before I following him like a stray puppy.”

Taeyong smiled bitterly. “I convinced father to do the business with Jung Group. At first, Mr.Jung would do the M&A with the Kim. I was so panicked back then when finding out his idea. I did everything so father would consider partnering with the Jung. I couldn’t count anymore how much sweats, tears, and blood I had shred to achieve it. I don’t have life. My world only rotates around Jaehyun.”

“I’m famous as the heartbreaker. But the truth is… my heart is breaking because of Jaehyun. I used people as the camouflage. I never really sleep around. It’s only the front cover. It’s only my defense. I’m still . But I’m sure nobody would believe it.”

“It’s so much work pretending to sleep with a total stranger. I feel bad for giving them the sleeping pills, pretending having the great night with them, just to make Jaehyun jealous. He never did. And he never will.”

Taeyong wiped his tears. “Mom, I’m tired. I’m tired pretending. I’m tired wearing the mask in front of Jaehyun. But if I took off this mask, would Jaehyun still stay with me?”

~~~ The End ~~~

 

A/N : At first, I’m contemplating between Taeten and Jaeyong as the pairing for this story. The idea of “Actually the couple loves each other, but pretending not. Keep wearing their mask because afraid of loosing each other” had been budging my mind since last week, but I only found the time to write it today.

Why jaeyong? Why not taeten? Because in the fanmeeting, Taeyong always accepts the marriage proposal from fans. LOL. While Jaehyun often only says “thanks”. It completes this story’s plot. XD

Don’t worry, latter there would be taeten too in another story!

I might writing jaeyong again, or yusol again for the next chapter, or maybe taeten, yuten, yutae. It depends on the plot. Like I said, the pairing could come out more than once or twice. And it also depends on my mood. LOL. So, I’m sorry in advance if you had subscribed to this story but have to wait to read your favorite pairing. :))

Thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting, up-voting. ^^

I’m writing stories for my own happiness, but I couldn’t deny it too when I feel happy because of your feedbacks. Thank you! :))