Vanishing the Darkness

Vanishing the Darkness

The darkness haunted the room. Yibo's heart was frantically beating in his chest. Instead of his usual fluid movements, his arms jerked and his legs buckled as he tried to walk to his shared room with Seungyoun.

Breathe, just breathe.

He tried to swallow the lump in his throat. Once, twice. Yibo kept clenching the sides of shirt to hold onto something, something to keep him screaming from the top of his lungs. His entire body shook from fear.

One more hallway, that's it. That's all I need. A swift turn led Yibo running down the hall and bursting into his room. He plopped onto the bed, making the old floorboards creak. The hairs on the back of his neck stuck up likes needles ready to pierce into his skin.

His roommate barely gave a groan to all the ruckus. Yibo wanted to yell at the sleeping Seungyoun to do something. His friend knew how terrified Yibo was of scary movies yet he insisted on watching the "goriest movie this year". The other members wouldn't let him bow out on the film, so Yibo sat there and counted the hairs on Sungjoo's head. It helped, but the noises emitting from the television had him squirming in his seat. No matter how many times he sang in his head he could not get those gut-wrenching sounds out of his mind. After 14,387 hair strands later, the movie finally ended with a blood-curdling scream and the words "the end" scratched in blood.

Seungyoun laughed at the tackiness. "That was so bad." He turned to face Yibo. "Were you scared?" His lips formed a goofy smile.

"Of course not. I just didn't have any interest in watching that particular movie," Yibo scoffed.

"We should watch something that we would all enjoy next time," Yixuan suggested.

"It's not my fault he's such a bore and won't watch scary movies," Seungyoun frowned, disappointed.

Wenhan huffed, "We never get to see stuff that I want to watch."

"I'd rather watch a thousand scary movies than one of your swimming documentaries," Sungjoo replied blandly.

Wenhan gasped in horror. He looked as if he wanted to retort the statement but he shut his mouth before the words could escape.

Yixuan laughed at the four younger members arguing amongst themselves. "I think we should all go to bed now. It's extremely late and we have multiple schedules to attend to tomorrow."

It was after this that he was stuck here, laying awake with his beating heart and Seungyoun's shallow breaths being his only company.

"Seungyoun."

He didn't even flinch.

Yibo cleared his throat and spoke a tiny bit louder. "Seungyoun." His roommate shifted his weight, jostling the bed.

"Seungyoun," Yibo whined, his voice cracking on the last syllable.

The elder boy sighed, slowly turning to face Yibo. "What?" He murmured incoherently.

"I can't sleep."

Seungyoun stretched out his hand and laid it palm upward on Yibo's side of the bed. The younger boy looked at the arm curiously.

"Take my hand."

Yibo furrowed his brows together trying to figure out what the devious boy had in mind but gave Seungyoun his right hand carefully.

He grasped Yibo's hand and held it firmly. Seungyoun used his thumb to draw soothing circles on the back of his hand. Seungyoun used his free arm to pet Yibo on the head, gently tucking stray hairs behind Yibo's ear. His hand roamed to his face and Seungyoun outlined his features slowly, tracing his cheekbones and the bridge of his nose.

Yibo wrinkled his face at the action.

"Relax your face, silly. I'm working magic here," Seungyoun huffed with his eyes still shut.

Yibo did as he was told and only let his eyes follow Seungyoun's movements.

The way he caressed his face and arm made Yibo feel calm, almost as if he was at his own home, in his own bed.

Finally Seungyoun ended his small ritual by traveling down Yibo's shoulder, down his arm, to join his other hand and clasp Yibo's.

"Did that help you?" Seungyoun smiled meekly.

"No," Yibo replied flatly.

Even in the dark Yibo could see Seungyoun frowning.

"Do you think..." Yibo began.

"Yeah?"

"Could you possibly-"

"Yes?" The elder boy prompted.

"Sing me to sleep?" Yibo's voice was as quiet as the night.

An awkward silence filled the room.

"Never mind," the younger boy became flustered immediately and pulled his hand away, turning the opposite direction in one smooth movement.

"Wait, I wasn't rejecting the idea. I was thinking of a song," Seungyoun breathed. He placed a hand on Yibo's shoulder, nudging for him to turn back around. "My mom used to sing it to me when I couldn't fall asleep," he explained. "I hope you can understand the lyrics."

Seungyoun began to hum a peaceful melody. As words began to flow from his mouth, Yibo felt as if he had just released a huge burden from his entire being. Seungyoun's soft but clear voice echoed through their room, erasing the darkness witheld in it.

Seungyoun lovingly Yibo's hair as he sang. The younger boy's eyes drooped slowly before closing completely. His roommate continued to sing until he finished. Seungyoun smiled at the now silent Yibo. He carefully leaned in and brushed his lips against the sleeping figure's forehead.

Seungyoun smiled contently, but a deep ache entered his heart. He missed his family as much as Yibo probably did. Seungyoun could tackle the scariest of movies with a blink of the eye, but he was terrified of not seeing his family any time soon. He shifted onto his back and stared at the ceiling, unable to sleep anymore.